PDA

View Full Version : Why does Murph refer to Steve Stone as "The Governor of Baseball"?

Viva Medias B's
08-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Lately, I have heard Mike Murphy refer to Steve Stone as "The Governor of Baseball." Each time, Murph seems to take a jab at Stone. Did they have some sort of disagreement?

WSox73
08-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Since Stone became an announcer for the Sox, Murph seems to think Stone has developed an anti-Cubs bias. Why that is I don't know. :scratch:

btrain929
08-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Lately, I have heard Mike Murphy refer to Steve Stone as "The Governor of Baseball." Each time, Murph seems to take a jab at Stone. Did they have some sort of disagreement?

Why is Murph on the air, period?

CashMan
08-15-2008, 10:04 PM

100% agree, and why are you listening to him?

edit: forgot to add: This post brought to you by Brown's Chicken!

LoveYourSuit
08-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Terry Boers and Dan Macneil hate Murph with a passion.

I love when Boers makes fun of Murph hiddenly on the air with voice inpersenations of his annoying voice.

LongLiveFisk
08-16-2008, 12:43 AM
Since Stone became an announcer for the Sox, Murph seems to think Stone has developed an anti-Cubs bias. Why that is I don't know. :scratch:

Seriously? Did he actually say this?

Bill Naharodny
08-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Terry Boers and Dan Macneil hate Murph with a passion.

I love when Boers makes fun of Murph hiddenly on the air with voice inpersenations of his annoying voice.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that Murph is, in clinical terms, a chicken****er.

TommyJohn
08-16-2008, 01:35 AM
uh....because he's an assclown?

hi im skot
08-16-2008, 02:11 AM
I think I speak for everyone when I say that Murph is, in clinical terms, a chicken****er.

:rolling:

DrCrawdad
08-16-2008, 08:12 AM

I have not heard Murph say this or take jabs at Stone, not that Murph does not do it I just rarely listen to him.

Stone is persona-non-grata to Cubbie fans now. I've heard them say that Stoney now "rips the Cubs." I've asked for examples, and been told he rips Wood but then when pressed these Cubbie fans have not provided examples.

I don't really think Stone has changed at all. However, he's not employed by the Cubune anylonger so no doubt he's a bit more critical of the Cubbies. But it's not like he trashes them. I think he probably even picks them to go to the World Series or says they're the best team in the (weak) NL.

pierzynski07
08-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Is a governor a bad thing? Is it some new, hip term that I don't fully understand?

chaerulez
08-16-2008, 09:47 AM
I have not heard Murph say this or take jabs at Stone, not that Murph does not do it I just rarely listen to him.

Stone is persona-non-grata to Cubbie fans now. I've heard them say that Stoney now "rips the Cubs." I've asked for examples, and been told he rips Wood but then when pressed these Cubbie fans have not provided examples.

I don't really think Stone has changed at all. However, he's not employed by the Cubune anylonger so no doubt he's a bit more critical of the Cubbies. But it's not like he trashes them. I think he probably even picks them to go to the World Series or says they're the best team in the (weak) NL.

He's maintained the Cubs are the best team in the NL all season. I guess to them if an announcer isn't kissing their team's ass, then they are ripping them.

white sox bill
08-16-2008, 10:58 AM
He's maintained the Cubs are the best team in the NL all season. I guess to them if an announcer isn't kissing their team's ass, then they are ripping them.

They are the best in NL hands down. If I were a screen printer, I'd be first one out with NL Central Division winners on tee shirts and market the hell out of them. Even the cubs can't screw this one up.

That team worries me....

gobears1987
08-16-2008, 11:22 AM
100% agree, and why are you listening to him?

edit: forgot to add: This post brought to you by Brown's Chicken!
And this post is brought to you by the Skybox and any of the other dump "gentleman's clubs" that buy air time on WSCR The Joke.

LongLiveFisk
08-16-2008, 11:27 AM

I think Stone is just one of those guys who tells it like it is. I wouldn't say he ripped the Sox when he was a Cubs announcer (not that I listened much!), but it seems like the first perceived negative comment some of these guys make is taken as bashing a team or hating a team. If it's a constant thing, then I can understand, but that's definitely not the case with Stone.

cub killer
08-17-2008, 02:18 PM

Stoney was interviewed prior to the 1st game of this year's Crosstown Classic and was asked if these two teams would meet in the World Series. Stone said something like "it will go 7 games with the White Sox winning yet another World Series but the cubs, well they can always wait till next year"

It was great and that's the only time I heard him dis the north siders.

Murphy sucks. Grew up in a SW suburb yet rooted for the scrubs, what a bozo.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-17-2008, 03:41 PM
They are the best in NL hands down. If I were a screen printer, I'd be first one out with NL Central Division winners on tee shirts and market the hell out of them. Even the cubs can't screw this one up.

That team worries me....

What exactly worries you ? let them deal with their miserable
history come playoff time and IF they get thru to the WS,then
you can call them the NL's best team.They are the cubs,they
CAN still screw it up.Should they make it to play in the Fall
Classic,i would take whoever makes it thru the AL gauntlet.

BainesHOF
08-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Murphy's low ratings speak for themselves.

It's also weird how Murphy has had trouble getting along with his co-workers at the station. In the case of Boers and Bernstein that might not be such a bad thing, but when you have a problem with Mulligan and Hanley, then you have a problem.

RockJock07
08-17-2008, 06:22 PM

Second that

RockJock07
08-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Murphy's low ratings speak for themselves.

It's also weird how Murphy has had trouble getting along with his co-workers at the station. In the case of Boers and Bernstein that might not be such a bad thing, but when you have a problem with Mulligan and Hanley, then you have a problem.

Boers and Bernstein are tools too, basiclly the score is crap from 12-6. I'd rather have Holmes, Goff, or abadacola (spelling) on then Murph and B&B.

A good radio talk show host never lets you know what team he roots for. If you listen to Murph for 5 min he lets you know, it shouldn't be that way. It turns sox fans off from listening. He's such a homer.

Speaking of ratings, where do you get that info at?

turners56
08-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Stoney's very neutral. If you listen to him enough on the radio, he really doesn't have a bias towards the Sox at all...

CashMan
08-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Boers and Bernstein are tools too, basiclly the score is crap from 12-6. I'd rather have Holmes, Goff, or abadacola (spelling) on then Murph and B&B.

A good radio talk show host never lets you know what team he roots for. If you listen to Murph for 5 min he lets you know, it shouldn't be that way. It turns sox fans off from listening. He's such a homer.

Speaking of ratings, where do you get that info at?

Your profile says you are a student, so I am going to guess, you don't get B&B but, how old are you? B&B ARE 670, without them all 670 has is WhiteSox games.

TornLabrum
08-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Your profile says you are a student, so I am going to guess, you don't get B&B but, how old are you? B&B ARE 670, without them all 670 has is WhiteSox games.

If B&B ARE 670, then I understand why I don't listen to 670. I'd rather listen to fingernails on the blackboard than to them insulting their callers and exuding unfounded arrogance.

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Even the cubs can't screw this one up.

They only way Cubs screw this one up is if

A) Cardinals get healthy in a hurry (Carpenter, Wainright) and go on a Colorado Rockies September 2007-like super-tear.

or

B) 2 of Zambrano/Harden/Soriano are back on DL for extended period of time.....and Dempster's significantly increased workload finally catches up with him down the stretch.

Postseason is a whole different story altogether...

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 09:35 PM
If B&B ARE 670, then I understand why I don't listen to 670. I'd rather listen to fingernails on the blackboard than to them insulting their callers and exuding unfounded arrogance.

Terry Boers is old hat. Bernstein is the real deal, however, not infallible but at his most focused easily blows MJH out of the water.

I agree insulting callers is rarely a good idea, but you gotta agree, there are a lot of dumbasses floating out there, including 3/4 of Chris Rongey's contingent.

CashMan
08-17-2008, 10:33 PM

Well, I would have to say, B&B are marketed to a certain age group. Some people like them, some don't. When idiots call up and suggest something stupid, I find it funny when they tear into them. I <3 Terry Boers, and Larry Horse.

DickAllen72
08-17-2008, 10:57 PM
I agree. In fact, I do listen to Murph because even though he is a die hard Cubs fan, at least he talks a lot of baseball on his show and he tries to conduct himself with civility when dealing with his callers who include many Sox fans. He also at least tries to be pleasant and upbeat. He's the kind of guy I'd enjoy having a few beers and brats with while having a good natured Sox vs. Cubs debate.

I never listen to B&B anymore (haven't for years) because they always were rude and condescending to callers, arrogant and frequently misinformed in their own views and acted like a couple of adolescent kids who would giggle while saying words like "penis" on the air. Completely classless and sophomoric.

JorgeFabregas
08-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Stoney and Murph once had an awkward on-air dispute about Jacque Jones. Murph called Jones a loser and Stone said that no one with the talent and drive to get to the majors was a loser.

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 11:18 PM
who would giggle while saying words like "penis" on the air.

Hehehe.

I mean... how did it get through the foul language filter, it's outrage! :o::angry:

CashMan
08-18-2008, 12:28 AM
I agree. In fact, I do listen to Murph

So you are his only fan out there? I would say between North and Murph, I don't know who I hate more. One doesn't talk sports and the other wont shut up about the Cubs and Browns chicken.

RockJock07
08-18-2008, 12:39 AM

I'm 23 and recently graduated and 670 did a great thing when they got rid of Mike North now if they could get rid of BB they would be in good shape. Actually, Bernstein is ok when he's by himself or if he's paired up with Holmes. But when he's with Terry they just seem to have to out do each other. I don't know why anyone calls their show because they can never win, they are either called a asshat or are yelled at by Bernstein while Boers is making dumb noises in the background.

Dan McNeil from ESPN 1000 used to be Bernstein's partner back in the day at the Score. Dan M hates him with a passion and I could see why. ESPN 1000 has a solid programming line-up but with no local morning or mid-day show's they will always play second fiddle in those time slots.

The score has some talent that is wasting time sitting behind those dopes, IMO their production staff should have a show instead of them.

Nellie_Fox
08-18-2008, 12:51 AM
Terry Boers is old hat. Bernstein is the real deal, however, not infallible but at his most focused easily blows MJH out of the water. Obviously, I don't listen to them regularly. I can usually get The Score after dark, but not when B&B are on. However, when I was down there in May, I listened for a bit, and it seemed to me that Bernstein was trying like hell to be exactly like Boers, even down to vocal inflections and the type of "humor" employed. It was like listening to some kid trying to act like his big brother.

Adele_H
08-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Granted I don't listen to sports radio as much as some here,

. It was like listening to some kid trying to act like his big brother.

Bernstein covers for Boers in a way more reminiscent of a son looking after his elderly, slightly demented father.

Bernstein just doesn't take sports seriously, at the end of the day. That prevented him from ever growing up, so speak, into a legit broadcaster.

But he has very few weaknesses when he's on his game, whether as a game analyst, interviewer or personality.

He's Dan Patrick, only not boring or desperate for acclaim.

CashMan
08-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Bernstein just doesn't take sports seriously, at the end of the day. That prevented him from ever growing up, so speak, into a legit broadcaster.

So, you want 4 straight hours of serious sports talk? You wouldn't have an audience if that happened.

SOXBOY
08-18-2008, 10:21 AM
"Dan McNeil from ESPN 1000 used to be Bernstein's partner back in the day at the Score. Dan M hates him with a passion and I could see why. ESPN 1000 has a solid programming line-up but with no local morning or mid-day show's they will always play second fiddle in those time slots."

Didin't Danny Mac work with Bores not Bernstein?

CashMan
08-18-2008, 10:22 AM
But when he's with Terry they just seem to have to out do each other. I don't know why anyone calls their show because they can never win, they are either called a asshat or are yelled at by Bernstein while Boers is making dumb noises in the background.

You can win. You have to present your opinion and be able to back it up. You can't say, the Sox should get another SP, and not be expected to be called dumb. You have to say, I think the Sox should get this guy and give up this. I really don't wanna listen to to a show(ESPN), who takes calls and says to all the callers great call.

CashMan
08-18-2008, 10:23 AM
"Dan McNeil from ESPN 1000 used to be Bernstein's partner back in the day at the Score. Dan M hates him with a passion and I could see why. ESPN 1000 has a solid programming line-up but with no local morning or mid-day show's they will always play second fiddle in those time slots."

Didin't Danny Mac work with Bores not Bernstein?

Thought so, I've heard Beirnsy say he had to work weekends before him and Boers were put together.

Iwritecode
08-18-2008, 11:24 AM
while Boers is making dumb noises in the background.

Speaking of making dumb noises... Does anyone have a clue what the hell Boers is saying during those commercials they do for David Hockburg (sp)?

I've been hearing it forever but can't make out what the hell he's trying to say. It almost sounds like he's saying "Dougie" but that doesn't make any sense... :scratch:

TomBradley72
08-18-2008, 01:06 PM

Well...I'm not a student...what's "to get" about B&B?..they are complete tools. Entire segments are unlistenable...they don't really do their research, Bernstein is about a arrogant as they come...Boers makes these weird noises all the time. I can handle the new morning guys and the White Sox stuff...other than that WSCR has found a way to be a horrible sportstalk station in one of the best sports cities in the country.

Gammons Peter
08-18-2008, 01:20 PM
. ...Entire segments are unlistenable...

Like the same 5 asshats they let on every week for "Who you crappin'"

The guy (Gary?) who has kind of a staccato voice and they play some kind of robot/video game sound effect when he is done.

*** is that? He is incredibly lame but they seem to love him.

soxpride724
08-18-2008, 01:21 PM

Yeah and Mike Murphy is an admitted Cubs kool aid salesman. **** him, I don't know why that piece of **** gets two hours in the afternoon for anyway.

JorgeFabregas
08-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Speaking of making dumb noises... Does anyone have a clue what the hell Boers is saying during those commercials they do for David Hockburg (sp)?

I've been hearing it forever but can't make out what the hell he's trying to say. It almost sounds like he's saying "Dougie" but that doesn't make any sense... :scratch:
Started out as "Our guy," but now it's no actual words.

Adele_H
08-18-2008, 05:29 PM
So, you want 4 straight hours of serious sports talk? You wouldn't have an audience if that happened.

Doesn't bother me.

But whoever mentioned that he can be suprinsingly immature and even mean-spirited, was right.

Again, he's not 24 anymore. He's pushing 40.

DickAllen72
08-18-2008, 06:21 PM
So you are his only fan out there? I would say between North and Murph, I don't know who I hate more. One doesn't talk sports and the other wont shut up about the Cubs and Browns chicken.
I never said I was a fan of Murph, I just said I listen to him. Boers and Bernstein are unlistenable to me.

slavko
08-18-2008, 11:20 PM
Just for the record...Boers and MacNeil were long time partners at WSCR. They were clones of one another and great buddies. When Bernstein was making his way up the ladder, he was added to their show as a "third banana." This was in addition to his weekend work. Mac rode him sort of hard, I guess Mac resented him or didn't like him for some other good reason. Of course, management was testing to see if he could handle a weekday spot, so when Mike North was separated from Jiggs to do middays by himself (I choose to believe that this was a move inititated by North), Boers and MacNeil were split up (not a bad idea, since they were too much alike). Boers was paired with Bernstein, who was "ready." MacNeil was paired with Jiggs, which could have been a nice pairing, except that Mac took it personally, reacted immaturely, wound up getting canned (after awhile).

Correct me if you feel like it. Anyone?

I freed myself from listening to this stuff years ago. Lotta good music out there.

hose
08-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Murph said Alexei was over matched by ML pitching and had no chance to stick in the bigs.:o:

pierzynski07
08-18-2008, 11:56 PM

It used to be "MY GUY" or "OUR GUY", an obvious shot at Mr. North. But yeah, as of late, it's been turning into a loud grunt.

RockJock07
08-19-2008, 12:22 AM
Just for the record...Boers and MacNeil were long time partners at WSCR. They were clones of one another and great buddies. When Bernstein was making his way up the ladder, he was added to their show as a "third banana." This was in addition to his weekend work. Mac rode him sort of hard, I guess Mac resented him or didn't like him for some other good reason. Of course, management was testing to see if he could handle a weekday spot, so when Mike North was separated from Jiggs to do middays by himself (I choose to believe that this was a move inititated by North), Boers and MacNeil were split up (not a bad idea, since they were too much alike). Boers was paired with Bernstein, who was "ready." MacNeil was paired with Jiggs, which could have been a nice pairing, except that Mac took it personally, reacted immaturely, wound up getting canned (after awhile).

Correct me if you feel like it. Anyone?

I freed myself from listening to this stuff years ago. Lotta good music out there.

Thanks for clearing this up. I try to listen to my Sirius as much as I can I just find myself sticking around the AM until baseball is over. I don't have much need for Bears or Bulls talk after the baseball season is over.

There are many hosts that are better than Murph and B&B but their time slots don't allow them to be heard by the majority of Chicago.

Frontman
08-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Well...I'm not a student...what's "to get" about B&B?..they are complete tools. Entire segments are unlistenable...they don't really do their research, Bernstein is about a arrogant as they come...Boers makes these weird noises all the time. I can handle the new morning guys and the White Sox stuff...other than that WSCR has found a way to be a horrible sportstalk station in one of the best sports cities in the country.

Same could be said about every sports talk radio show on the air.

Take MJH, or as I like to refer to them, the Superfans impression without actually trying to be an impression.

1: Jurko talks out his rear, only making any sense when its the NFL.

2: Danny Mac is just as arrogant as Bernstein (as is all that were "originals." Murph, Boers, etc. They all think they are just as important to the listener as the sport that they are covering.)

3: Weird noises? Have you listened to the sound of Harry's voice? When MVP took over WLUP, they forgot to throw him out with Kevin Matthews and the rest of the Loop on air staff.

4: Entire segments unlistenable. The week of the 4th, an entire HOUR of their show was about how "hot" it would be to date a professional eater. Yes, the "World Wide leader in sports" during drive time while both baseball teams were in first place, wasted one hour of a four hour show talking about professional eating. FEMALE professional eaters, I might add.

Just so its not just MJH "hate" here; come September there will be ZERO difference between listening to WSCR and ESPN 1000 from 10 until 12. I'll give a slight edge to ESPN since Waddle can actually put full sentences together, but Laurence Holmes' name dropping and Silvy's "slap the couch" and all about the oh-so-cool nicknames for the Cubs players makes both shows painful to listen to.

Back when Dan Patrick was on; he might of been arrogant, he might of been a name dropper, but at the very least he got actual guests on and from time to time, did his actual show. Since Tirico took over, he's worked less than Johnny Carson (on the radio. ESPN should of gone with someone who isn't flying out of town EVERY weekend to cover a different event to give their noon show some consistancy.)

Murph I can't stand because he has ZERO professionalism. In the time I've listened intently (lets say 2004) I've heard him in no particular order:

Insult Terry Boers
Insult Mully and Hanley
OBSESS about Jaqcue Jones for a four month stretch
Insult Steve Stone
Pick a fight with Ed Farmer
Waste DAYS of broadcasts talking about "a quality bullpen" stat
Pissed off Doug Buffone with a refusal to understand the basic concept of a salary cap.

All in all, sports talk radio is just God awful, but for those who say, "I can't stand Boers and Berstein because they're insulting to their listeners/callers" should really stop and listen to the other shows with a bit of a critical ear. They would notice how bad those other show are too.

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 12:48 AM

Take MJH, or as I like to refer to them, the Superfans impression without actually trying to be an impression.

2: Danny Mac is just as arrogant as Bernstein (as is all that were "originals." Murph, Boers, etc. They all think they are just as important to the listener as the sport that they are covering.)

3: Weird noises? Have you listened to the sound of Harry's voice? When MVP took over WLUP, they forgot to throw him out with Kevin Matthews and the rest of the Loop on air staff.

4: Entire segments unlistenable. The week of the 4th, an entire HOUR of their show was about how "hot" it would be to date a professional eater. Yes, the "World Wide leader in sports" during drive time while both baseball teams were in first place, wasted one hour of a four hour show talking about professional eating. FEMALE professional eaters, I might add.

Just so its not just MJH "hate" here; come September there will be ZERO difference between listening to WSCR and ESPN 1000 from 10 until 12. I'll give a slight edge to ESPN since Waddle can actually put full sentences together, but Laurence Holmes' name dropping and Silvy's "slap the couch" and all about the oh-so-cool nicknames for the Cubs players makes both shows painful to listen to.

Back when Dan Patrick was on; he might of been arrogant, he might of been a name dropper, but at the very least he got actual guests on and from time to time, did his actual show. Since Tirico took over, he's worked less than Johnny Carson (on the radio. ESPN should of gone with someone who isn't flying out of town EVERY weekend to cover a different event to give their noon show some consistancy.)

Murph I can't stand because he has ZERO professionalism. In the time I've listened intently (lets say 2004) I've heard him in no particular order:

Insult Terry Boers
Insult Mully and Hanley
Insult Steve Stone
Pissed off Doug Buffone with a refusal to understand the basic concept of a salary cap.

All in all, sports talk radio is just God awful, but for those who say, "I can't stand Boers and Berstein because they're insulting to their listeners/callers" should really stop and listen to the other shows with a bit of a critical ear. They would notice how bad those other show are too.

So much was made of how Bernstein "ambushes" some of his guests like Kenny Williams, Jerry Angelo, Vinny Del Negro, John Paxson - leading them all to refuse to appear on the show....

Nevermind that Mike North aside, whose sports knowledge is so bad that his interviews actually do become a cheap ambush after a while since he does it to stir controversy & self-promote, NOT to get hard answers to inform, educate the listener.... What other personality on that pitiful station has either the balls or the brains to ask a question worth a damn anymore?

RockJock07
08-19-2008, 12:55 AM
So much was made of how Bernstein "ambushes" some of his guests like Kenny Williams, Jerry Angelo, Vinny Del Negro, John Paxson - leading them all to refuse to appear on the show....

Nevermind that Mike North aside, whose sports knowledge is so bad that his interviews actually do become a cheap ambush after a while since he does it to stir controversy & self-promote, NOT to get hard answers to inform, educate the listener.... What other personality on that pitiful station has either the balls or the brains to ask a question worth a damn anymore?

I've also heard that many celeb guest refuse to go on with B&B. I remember when they had Javy on, it was horrible.

LoveYourSuit
08-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Reading this thread it appears if it was up to WSI, The Score and AM 1000 should just employ Rongey 24/7.

Sports Talk is about entertainment and not all about the hometown ass kissing some of you guys are looking for.

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Reading this thread it appears if it was up to WSI, The Score and AM 1000 should just employ Rongey 24/7.

Sports Talk is about entertainment and not all about the hometown ass kissing some of you guys are looking for.

Who has Terry "Baseball Sa-gay" Boers ever entertain in his whole entire life, maybe other than unwittingly serve as target of Ditka's whoya crappin'? Same goes for North, Murph, Matty "Slayer" Abba, Holmes, Hanley, etc, etc, etc.

Btw, whatever happened to that Mr. Burns regular caller, is he still around? I know they were told to can Larry Horse by the brass.

Frontman
08-19-2008, 07:54 AM

Funny, Boers and Bernstein have ahd all of them on in the past six weeks after these so-called "ambushes" so maybe; just maybe, keep a fact or two in there next time Adele_H. You don't like their show, we get that.

B&B's interview with Tommie Harris last week was a solid interview.

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Funny, Boers and Bernstein have ahd all of them on in the past six weeks after these so-called "ambushes" so maybe; just maybe, keep a fact or two in there next time Adele_H. You don't like their show, we get that.

B&B's interview with Tommie Harris last week was a solid interview.

They had a veritable parade of guests in the wake of the Spring book coming out showing bad ratings....which IMO had a lot to do with them not having hardly a guest worth a damn during that time. The radio station, producers and the bookers must have panicked and worked double overtime to pull all available strings to try to reverse the trend... Of course, my guess is, most celeb guests still don't want to appear on that show if they could help it.

Jerry Angelo, for instance, mustered enough courage to come on the heels of the Hester signing but because of more exhibition game awfulness and Chris Williams mystery/debacle, I am sure he'd rather ingest mercury than do it again ;)

Tommy Harris couldn't be more antagonistic toward Bernstein in particular if he tried. And if he had said 'vanilla' just one more time...:rolleyes:

BTW, you couldn't be more wrong about me not liking B&B - it's actually the only AM1000/670 show I don't consider boring bordering-on-useless - mostly because of Dan Bernstein..... whose talents are partly negated by aformentioned emotional immaturity & mean-spiritedness. Unfortunately.

chaerulez
08-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Who has Terry "Baseball Sa-gay" Boers ever entertain in his whole entire life, maybe other than unwittingly serve as target of Ditka's whoya crappin'? Same goes for North, Murph, Matty "Slayer" Abba, Holmes, Hanley, etc, etc, etc.

Btw, whatever happened to that Mr. Burns regular caller, is he still around? I know they were told to can Larry Horse by the brass.

I didn't listen to them when the whole Larry Horse thing happened, what's the story behind that?

slavko
08-19-2008, 02:43 PM

I didn't listen to them when the whole Larry Horse thing happened, what's the story behind that?

So I see from the posts in this thread that I haven't missed anything except more of the same. Larry Horse was a fictional station employee created by Boers whose fictional exploits were milked by B&B (esp. Terry) for comedy value which had faded to black by the time I stopped listening 3-4 years ago. It lasted this long????????

Sorry to quote myself, mark of bad research, I know. I just realized that WSI satisfies my taste for sports talk without having to put up with radio-morons. That's a good thing.

bigsoxfan420
08-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Mike Murphy is a ****ing toolbag, idiot. Who cares what he ever says?

CashMan
08-19-2008, 02:49 PM

Did I miss something, or is his job to ask questions and not kiss ass?

spawn
08-19-2008, 02:49 PM
The thing I can't stand about B&B is that they are never wrong. An example: Hub Arkush was on I believe last week talking about the Brett Favre situation. B&B were putting the blame squarely on Favre's shoulders, while Hub said Packers management screwed the situation up. Each had a differing opinion, which is fine. The thing that had me rolling my eyes was when Boers (I think) stated that Favre was placing these calls into to the media trying to garner sympathy. Hub said he was receiving those calls from Packers management as well. For the next couple of minutes, Boers basically told Hub he didn't know what he was talking about, that Packers management wasn't doing that. Hub insisited, saying "Look, Favre's people were calling me, and Packers management was calling me." Boers kept saying they didn't. I'm sorry, but Boers looked like, IMO, a complete idiot for telling Hub he wasn't getting those calls. I think Arkush would know if he were getting calls those calls, and would have no reason to lie about it. I understand the dislike of Favre and that whole sordid ordeal, *****. As much as I dislike MJ&H, at least they have admitted errors in the past.

CashMan
08-19-2008, 03:01 PM
The thing I can't stand about B&B is that they are never wrong. An example: Hub Arkush was on I believe last week talking about the Brett Favre situation. B&B were putting the blame squarely on Favre's shoulders, while Hub said Packers management screwed the situation up. Each had a differing opinion, which is fine. The thing that had me rolling my eyes was when Boers (I think) stated that Favre was placing these calls into to the media trying to garner sympathy. Hub said he was receiving those calls from Packers management as well. For the next couple of minutes, Boers basically told Hub he didn't know what he was talking about, that Packers management wasn't doing that. Hub insisited, saying "Look, Favre's people were calling me, and Packers management was calling me." Boers kept saying they didn't. I'm sorry, but Boers looked like, IMO, a complete idiot for telling Hub he wasn't getting those calls. I think Arkush would know if he were getting calls those calls, and would have no reason to lie about it. I understand the dislike of Favre and that whole sordid ordeal, *****. As much as I dislike MJ&H, at least they have admitted errors in the past.

Perhaps, Boers was trying to say, the Packers were not initiating the calls like Farves people? I am not a fan of Hub anyway. They entertain me, if you don't like them don't listen. If they are sooooo bad, then why do they have the fan base? Don't they also have the #1 show in that time slot also?

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 03:33 PM

I guess some drunk on-air caller either made Larry Horse up or mistakenly tried to "reference" Laurence Holmes as such... and then it just snowballed from there.

Kinda like Ann the NFL Scores-Seeking Centagenarian Who Hates Hockey And Whose Blood-Pressure Is Going Up, Are You Crazy?!

CashMan
08-19-2008, 03:42 PM
I guess some drunk on-air caller either made Larry Horse up or mistakenly tried to "reference" Laurence Holmes as such... and then it just snowballed from there.

Kinda like Ann the NFL Scores-Seeking Centagenarian Who Hates Hockey And Whose Blood-Pressure Is Going Up, Are You Crazy?!

I think, if memory serves me right, the caller was trying to crap someone named Larry, Boers said Bowa, then the caller said Horse.

EndemicSox
08-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Granted I don't listen to sports radio as much as some here,

Bernstein covers for Boers in a way more reminiscent of a son looking after his elderly, slightly demented father.

But he has very few weaknesses when he's on his game, whether as a game analyst, interviewer or personality.

He's Dan Patrick, only not boring or desperate for acclaim.

Agreed...Chicago doesn't know how good they have it with Bernstein. I've listened to hundreds of sports radio "hosts" in every market you could imagine, and Bernstein is the cream of the crop. It may simply be a case of sports radio appealing to the lowest common denominator, but the guy is Einstein compared to 99.9% of the trash on the airwaves...

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Did I miss something, or is his job to ask questions and not kiss ass?

No, you're absolutely right. He is the only one who can/does ask legit questions. And he also doesn't shy away from criticising them on air.

The problem? When you do that, especially in the current climate of paranoid, thin-skinned egomaniacs & big $$$ at stake in sports... You end up making a lot of enemies - or, rather, non-friends. Makes it all that harder to survive in the business, longer-term.

Dan Patrick asked Steroid questions we all wanted asked of his friend and East Germany mustached swimmer lookalike, Dara Torres, in the most cushioned, watered down way possible. And she still just about flipped.

CashMan
08-19-2008, 03:48 PM
No, you're absolutely right. He is the only one who can/does ask legit questions. And he also doesn't shy away from criticising them on air.

The problem? When you do that, especially in the current climate of thin-skinned egomaniacs & big $$$ at stake in sports... You end up making a lot of enemies - or, rather, non-friends. Makes it all that harder to survive in the business, longer-term.

I would rather have him come out and say something, than to dance around the topic.

EndemicSox
08-19-2008, 03:50 PM

The problem? When you do that, especially in the current climate of paranoid, thin-skinned egomaniacs & big $$$ at stake in sports... You end up making a lot of enemies - or, rather, non-friends. Makes it all that harder to survive in the business, longer-term.

Dan Patrick asked Steroid questions we all wanted asked of his friend and East Germany mustached swimmer lookalike, Dara Torres, in the most cushioned, watered down way possible. And she still just about flipped.

The conflict of interest in sports media is too much to handle at times, but then again, its just sports, games, entertainment, not important, etc...Bernstein seems to get this...

chaerulez
08-19-2008, 04:04 PM
They had a veritable parade of guests in the wake of the Spring book coming out showing bad ratings....which IMO had a lot to do with them not having hardly a guest worth a damn during that time. The radio station, producers and the bookers must have panicked and worked double overtime to pull all available strings to try to reverse the trend... Of course, my guess is, most celeb guests still don't want to appear on that show if they could help it.

Jerry Angelo, for instance, mustered enough courage to come on the heels of the Hester signing but because of more exhibition game awfulness and Chris Williams mystery/debacle, I am sure he'd rather ingest mercury than do it again ;)

Tommy Harris couldn't be more antagonistic toward Bernstein in particular if he tried. And if he had said 'vanilla' just one more time...:rolleyes:

BTW, you couldn't be more wrong about me not liking B&B - it's actually the only AM1000/670 show I don't consider boring bordering-on-useless - mostly because of Dan Bernstein..... whose talents are partly negated by aformentioned emotional immaturity & mean-spiritedness. Unfortunately.

Couldn't Bernstein's immaturity be because he doesn't take sports seriously? I find Bernstein to be entertaining, simply because of his satirical take on sports. And I think his haters are the ones that just take sports way too seriously. Yeah it's a little over the top sometimes, but it's better than listening to clowns like Murph and Mike "How Many Times Can I Get Away With Sexual Harrassment" Tirico.

Oh and you are right Bernstein is the only one on Chicago sports radio capable of delivering a legit interview.

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 04:06 PM
The thing I can't stand about B&B is that they are never wrong. .

That's another thing.

It's one thing to be wrong about Sox in 2005 & 2008 - a lot of so called "experts" were wrong about them.... or to dismiss Deron Williams as nothing more than a back-up PG in the NBA before his career even began... Or to spew some of the nonsense they did about the obsolete concept of Olympics.....

It's another thing to pull a "Hillary" and to back-track and lie in order to save professional face as B&B have done numerously.

As for Bernstein not taking sports seriously... He comes from a fairly affluent family of certain background; he can afford it I guess. But then when he wakes up 20 years from now and wonders why he's never made a leap into "big-time", he can blame nobody but his oft-sophmoric self.

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Couldn't Bernstein's immaturity be because he doesn't take sports seriously? I find Bernstein to be entertaining, simply because of his satirical take on sports. .

Hey, I can enjoy Bernstein do Hawk or Dubya, or satirize the fact that many NBA/NFL players do recreational drugs, PED and/or serially cheat on their spouses... as much as the next guy.

But for the purposes of Bernstein's own career, he has the talent & education to be something more than a dime-a-dozen local-radio goof who flips out on those who dare disagree with him.

PennStater98r
08-19-2008, 04:29 PM

That team worries me....

I disagree with this - nothing to worry about - move along!

The Cubs are crap - they will enjoy watching a Chicago team in the series.

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 04:38 PM
but then again, its just sports, games, entertainment, not important...Bernstein seems to get this

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear this crap a lot...

But let me ask you: once you strip life of entertainment, art, sports, fornication and all that other good if "unimportant" stuff...... Is it even worth living? Aren't we then just animals stuck in a perpetual cycle of life & death?

SOXPHILE
08-19-2008, 04:41 PM
The problem with Bernstein is that, while he can be funny and a good listen, he's also a pompous, whiny, pseudo-intellectual wind bag. In his world, everything is beneath him. Everybody else is just unwashed masses that annoy him. If you differ or disagree with him in any way, you are either a cracker, a dope, an idiot, white trash, a bucktoothed moron, disgusting, or any combination of these things. Sox fans ? White trash tattooed dopes. Cardinal fans ? Inbred crackers. Sports fans in general ? Meatballs. If you are not as "cultured" or "cosmopolitan" as lil' Danny, then you're just really just not as smart as he is. He proves this by button-holing callers who may stammer or get a bit nervous & verbally tripped up on the phone by YELLING OVER THEM and cutting them off, or SHOUTING at them "YES OR NO ?!! IT'S A YES OR NO ANSWER !!! DO YOU THINK (whatever the issue is)...!!??" He likes to make these grand, all encompassing statements, and has been proven wrong on many an occassion. But don't tell him that. If this guy ever had to debate some of these issues one on one with somebody, and not have the bully pulpit of being on the air and able to yell over callers and hang up on them, he would get pantsed. The best is when he makes comments about how ugly, creepy, fat or weird looking somebody is. I have sent him a couple of e-mails when he's done this, asking him if he's looked in the mirror at all in the last 30 years.

Boers, while funny, seems to have been neutred in the last 1-2 years. His main strength seems to be to tell us, when some big sports story breaks, that he knew about this all along, and had all the inside info before hand, but couldn't say anything. Or, he'll say he has some inside info from "his guy", but can't tell us what it is. Then when a story does break, he'll tell us that's what it was. He tends to mostly just agree and parrot whatever Bernstein is spouting, and no longer has an original thought. He does not seem to be able to defend his position on anything with someone who disagrees with him without calling them names either.

Murph- Sucks. Completely sports dumb. Knows not a damn thing about football, basketball or hockey, and he's a pretty lousy baseball guy too. His knowledge revolves 99.9 % around anything Cub, and tends to steer any conversation, no matter what, towards that topic. In fact, even his Cub knowledge isn't that great, as he is pretty limited to the glorious 1969 Cubs, and his days as a drunken, unemployed bleacher bum. Nobody really seems to like the guy, he comes across as phony and bitter when on the air.

KnightSox
08-19-2008, 04:55 PM
I think, if memory serves me right, the caller was trying to crap someone named Larry, Boers said Bowa, then the caller said Horse.The Larry Horse thing went too far for me when Boers was interviewing Mike Scioscia during the 05 season. Boers told Scioscia that "Larry Horse" thought that the angels sucked and would not win their division. Boers then proceeded to act as if Horse was a real person throughout the rest of the interview, trying to get Scioscia to answer to Larry horses comments.

Now here is a major league manager taking the time out of his day to have an interview with a radio station not of his market, and having to answer to what a person who does not exist said. At the end of the interview B&B laughed like children at how they pulled a fast one on Scioscia.

It was at that point that they lost whatever respect I had for them.

KnightSox
08-19-2008, 05:02 PM
The best is when he makes comments about how ugly, creepy, fat or weird looking somebody is. I have sent him a couple of e-mails when he's done this, asking him if he's looked in the mirror at all in the last 30 years.
I agree 100%. The way Bernstein has been going on and on about how ugly Michael Phelps is nauseating.

You want to laugh at what somebody did, wear, and said, go ahead. I was always taught that looks are off limits, as it is the one thing a person cannot control.

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Boers, while funny, seems to have been neutred in the last 1-2 years. His main strength seems to be to tell us, when some big sports story breaks, that he knew about this all along, and had all the inside info before hand, but couldn't say anything.

That. is. just. perfect.

Also ditto on Bernstein's contempt-bordering-on-raging-hatred of rednecks, southsiders and other assorted meatballs. He's definately got some deep-seated issues that he needs to do a better job of concealing if not resolving.

And pray tell where was the comedic value in putting constant emphasis on Jenny Finch looking like "an unattractive alien up close".... or Michael Phelps being the ugliest, most creepy-looking great athlete of all time?

Maybe I just don't get it.

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 05:10 PM
You want to laugh at what somebody did, wear, and said, go ahead. I was always taught that looks are off limits, as it is the one thing a person cannot control.

Granted I didn't grow up in this country, but that's what I was taught growing up as well.

Not that I always live up to the highest standard of personal conduct, either; I have a lot of growing up to do myself... But then again, I am not a grizzled 40 year old major market media personality, either.

SOXPHILE
08-19-2008, 05:16 PM
http://imgsrv.670thescore.com/image/wscr/UserFiles/Image/bernsy3.jpg (boersandbernstein@670thescore.com)

"Jenny Finch, Eva Longoria, Jeanie Zalasko, ? Ewwww....Erin Andrews, all those Sport Illustrated swimsuit models ? Yuck ! They look like bucktoothed, redneck aliens ! I would not go out with them ! Michael Phelps ? He's creepy looking ! Every single professional athlete is ugly."

Sometimes, I wonder what somebody with the mug and body type of Lil' Danny Bernstein finds attractive.

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 05:28 PM
http://imgsrv.670thescore.com/image/wscr/UserFiles/Image/bernsy3.jpg (boersandbernstein@670thescore.com)

"Jenny Finch, Eva Longoria, Jeanie Zalasko, ? Ewwww....Erin Andrews, all those Sport Illustrated swimsuit models ? Yuck ! They look like bucktoothed, redneck aliens ! I would not go out with them ! Michael Phelps ? He's creepy looking ! Every single professional athlete is ugly."

Sometimes, I wonder what somebody with the mug and body type of Lil' Danny Bernstein finds attractive.

Dan Bernstein loves Amanda Beard. Talk about overrated looks...

Although I am not a fan of Zalasco myself, truth be told.

Frontman
08-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Dan Bernstein loves Amanda Beard. Talk about overrated looks...

Although I am not a fan of Zalasco myself, truth be told.

No, Jeannie looks like she could kick my rear, plus just seems odd. Like her eyes and her mouth don't match the rest of her face or something.

One thing that I will say I couldn't stomach about B&B and thankfully they got away from was their critizing of the Catholic Church and the handling of the Priest sex scandal.

1: It has no place in sports talk radio.

2: Neither one belongs to the church.

3: Like its the only organization that handled something that poorly.

They mentioned it it seemed daily in 2005 during their "second half" segment for at least a few weeks. I can see where some issues fringe on being topics for sportstalk, but after like the 12 or 13th time (which, it was always the same comments) was like "Why does this keep coming up?" The problem I see with sports talk (as well as 'blogging') is that because folks have an outlet to say what they want, that gives them cart blanche for say whatever they want about whateve they want. I stopped listening to the radio for a few weeks while delivering my route because if I wanted to hear that type of stuff, I'd be listening to WLS.

I will say this also about sports talk commentators as well. I have yet to listen to one who hasn't pulled the "I know more than you do, so there" routine with a caller; or that they are above even their peers.

The most prime example (which ya'll will love with this, so hang in there) was during J Hood/Doug Buffone/Rick Telander's show; while discussing the Bears in October of 2004. J and Doug were breaking something down, J pitches it over to Rick for a comment who then proceeds to say,

"Sorry guys, I was on the phone securing an interview Jed Hoyer (or whomever was Theo Epstien's assistant GM that year) for an interview. After talking to him, you'll see how an actual sports orgranization runs itself.

"You'll see how he conducts his and the Red Sox business and because no ogranization in this town doesn't.....(wait for it....)

"YOU'LL NEVER SEE A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP HERE IN CHICAGO."

Unfortunately, the old fart decided to quit (in mid-shift mind you) before October of 2005 because I so would of loved to call in and lit up his sorry rear for that comment.

RockJock07
08-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Couldn't Bernstein's immaturity be because he doesn't take sports seriously? I find Bernstein to be entertaining, simply because of his satirical take on sports. And I think his haters are the ones that just take sports way too seriously. Yeah it's a little over the top sometimes, but it's better than listening to clowns like Murph and Mike "How Many Times Can I Get Away With Sexual Harrassment" Tirico.

Oh and you are right Bernstein is the only one on Chicago sports radio capable of delivering a legit interview.

No, I just think he's an *******, simple as that.

TornLabrum
08-19-2008, 07:19 PM
So I see from the posts in this thread that I haven't missed anything except more of the same. Larry Horse was a fictional station employee created by Boers whose fictional exploits were milked by B&B (esp. Terry) for comedy value which had faded to black by the time I stopped listening 3-4 years ago. It lasted this long????????

Sorry to quote myself, mark of bad research, I know. I just realized that WSI satisfies my taste for sports talk without having to put up with radio-morons. That's a good thing.

Larry Horse came about as the result of a call from a listener who sarcastically referred to Boers as "Larry Horse" because he thought Boers made some kind of stupid comment or observation during one of the shows. That was right about the time I stopped listening to anything on The Score except baseball.

Frontman
08-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Larry Horse came about as the result of a call from a listener who sarcastically referred to Boers as "Larry Horse" because he thought Boers made some kind of stupid comment or observation during one of the shows. That was right about the time I stopped listening to anything on The Score except baseball.

Actually, Hal. I think it was an irate caller who wanted Boers to get into trouble with "Larry Horse" who was supposed to be a part of station management. Boers (and the die-hard callers) picked up on this fictious person and just ran with it.

TornLabrum
08-19-2008, 07:24 PM
No, I just think he's an *******, simple as that.

Please use the language filter in the future.

LoveYourSuit
08-19-2008, 07:40 PM

Larry Horse was pretty damn funny when they used it on Socia.

TommyJohn
08-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Granted I didn't grow up in this country, but that's what I was taught growing up as well.

Not that I always live up to the highest standard of personal conduct, either; I have a lot of growing up to do myself... But then again, I am not a grizzled 40 year old major market media personality, either.

Grizzled????? I'm going to be 40 next month, and I hardly think of myself as "grizzled."

Adele_H
08-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Actually, Hal. I think it was an irate caller who wanted Boers to get into trouble with "Larry Horse" who was supposed to be a part of station management. .

Right... I thought that Laurence "Larry" Holmes who was a producer at that time, was the one whom the "irate" drunk mistakenly perceived to be above Boers.

Caller: Larry
Boers: Larry who?
Caller: Larry..... (pauses, almost cracks himself up)...... Horse *hangs up*

[/genesis of greatness]

Bill Naharodny
08-20-2008, 12:18 AM
The problem with Bernstein is that, while he can be funny and a good listen, he's also a pompous, whiny, pseudo-intellectual wind bag. In his world, everything is beneath him. Everybody else is just unwashed masses that annoy him. If you differ or disagree with him in any way, you are either a cracker, a dope, an idiot, white trash, a bucktoothed moron, disgusting, or any combination of these things. Sox fans ? White trash tattooed dopes. Cardinal fans ? Inbred crackers. Sports fans in general ? Meatballs. If you are not as "cultured" or "cosmopolitan" as lil' Danny, then you're just really just not as smart as he is. He proves this by button-holing callers who may stammer or get a bit nervous & verbally tripped up on the phone by YELLING OVER THEM and cutting them off, or SHOUTING at them "YES OR NO ?!! IT'S A YES OR NO ANSWER !!! DO YOU THINK (whatever the issue is)...!!??" He likes to make these grand, all encompassing statements, and has been proven wrong on many an occassion. But don't tell him that. If this guy ever had to debate some of these issues one on one with somebody, and not have the bully pulpit of being on the air and able to yell over callers and hang up on them, he would get pantsed. The best is when he makes comments about how ugly, creepy, fat or weird looking somebody is. I have sent him a couple of e-mails when he's done this, asking him if he's looked in the mirror at all in the last 30 years.

Boers, while funny, seems to have been neutred in the last 1-2 years. His main strength seems to be to tell us, when some big sports story breaks, that he knew about this all along, and had all the inside info before hand, but couldn't say anything. Or, he'll say he has some inside info from "his guy", but can't tell us what it is. Then when a story does break, he'll tell us that's what it was. He tends to mostly just agree and parrot whatever Bernstein is spouting, and no longer has an original thought. He does not seem to be able to defend his position on anything with someone who disagrees with him without calling them names either.

Murph- Sucks. Completely sports dumb. Knows not a damn thing about football, basketball or hockey, and he's a pretty lousy baseball guy too. His knowledge revolves 99.9 % around anything Cub, and tends to steer any conversation, no matter what, towards that topic. In fact, even his Cub knowledge isn't that great, as he is pretty limited to the glorious 1969 Cubs, and his days as a drunken, unemployed bleacher bum. Nobody really seems to like the guy, he comes across as phony and bitter when on the air.

I loved this post, specifically the stuff regarding Terry and Murph. On Terry, it really is always about "his guy" and something really vital that he's been told, I guess, by whatever washed-up journalist that he used to know in 1987 when he was still a writer. And don't forget that Terry is quite likely, in any given situation, to emit a strange noise that is neither (a) funny nor (b) funny.

And then there's the large number of people who are "asshats" or "rectums" or any number of other body parts.

The one thing that I will give B & B real credit for is calling out the worthlessness of Ron Santo as a baseball "analyst." They have been relentless in this regard, and I could not agree more. I give them credit for taking on that issue, which their peers needlessly have deemed off-limits. You don't have to dislike Ron Santo, or be heartless about his physical ailments (though they kind of are, I guess), to state truthfully that he's absolutely terrible at what he does for a living.

As for Murph, the guy has been doing the same tired bits for about the last 10 years, and they really weren't entertaining to begin with. There's a cool game that one can play with the Murph show: see how many steps it takes Murph to get from his "topic," no matter in what sport, to something about the Northside Club. We can call it "Two Degrees of Cub." Murph would be a winner every time.

Adele_H
08-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Grizzled????? I'm going to be 40 next month, and I hardly think of myself as "grizzled."

http://www.tvsquad.com/images/2005/08/peter.jpg

"It's not about how you see yourself, silly. It's about how other people see you. Hehehehe"

plus, when you ride 'dem minor league buses long enough as Bernstein has, you be grizzled alright.

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Grizzled????? I'm going to be 40 next month, and I hardly think of myself as "grizzled."Some people are grizzled at 40, some are not, and some use "Just for Men."

griz·zled http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/speaker.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/audio.html/lunaWAV/G03/G0354800) Audio Help (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/audio.html) /ˈ[griz-uhhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngld] –adjective 1.having gray or partly gray hair. 2.gray or partly gray.

TomBradley72
08-20-2008, 01:01 AM

Insult Terry Boers
Insult Mully and Hanley
Insult Steve Stone

Dude...you are WAY too into Chicago sports talk radio.

But your point is well taken...I never said he rest of sports talk in Chicago didn't suck...but B&B, MJH, Mike North, etc. are all pretty much different variations of the same bull****. One of these stations should hire Dahl...his 30 minutes or so each morning on Chicago sports are better than anything on AM1000 or WSCR.

TomBradley72
08-20-2008, 01:04 AM
Agreed...Chicago doesn't know how good they have it with Bernstein. I've listened to hundreds of sports radio "hosts" in every market you could imagine, and Bernstein is the cream of the crop.

Then the crop sucks.

Frontman
08-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Dude...you are WAY too into Chicago sports talk radio.

But your point is well taken...I never said he rest of sports talk in Chicago didn't suck...but B&B, MJH, Mike North, etc. are all pretty much different variations of the same bull****. One of these stations should hire Dahl...his 30 minutes or so each morning on Chicago sports are better than anything on AM1000 or WSCR.

I'm stuck in a mailtruck for 2 to 5 hours a day. Trust me, sports talk is far more bearable than hearing political talk.......

CashMan
08-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Right... I thought that Laurence "Larry" Holmes who was a producer at that time, was the one whom the "irate" drunk mistakenly perceived to be above Boers.

Caller: Larry
Boers: Larry who?
Caller: Larry..... (pauses, almost cracks himself up)...... Horse *hangs up*

[/genesis of greatness]

I think at that time it would of been, Scott Share(sp?) as the producer.

PatK
08-20-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm stuck in a mailtruck for 2 to 5 hours a day. Trust me, sports talk is far more bearable than hearing political talk.......

XM/Sirius radio is your friend. I'd go crazy without it.

TommyJohn
08-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Some people are grizzled at 40, some are not, and some use "Just for Men."

griz·zled http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/speaker.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/audio.html/lunaWAV/G03/G0354800) Audio Help (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/audio.html) /ˈ[griz-uhhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngld] –adjective 1.having gray or partly gray hair. 2.gray or partly gray.

I'm not using Just for Men. Yet.

Viva Medias B's
08-20-2008, 10:09 AM
When McNeil's contract is up at WMVP, I wonder if WSCR will pursue him and reunite him with Boers for HFC II. When DM was at the Score, he always talked a lot about college football which few (if any) Score hosts do these days.

Adele_H
08-20-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm not using Just for Men. Yet.

http://www.ericmcerlain.com/offwingopinion/archives/Images/com_goodnight2.jpg

"Your 'stache is trash!"

Frontman
08-20-2008, 03:28 PM
XM/Sirius radio is your friend. I'd go crazy without it.

No thanks. I get POed enough with free radio. I'm sure if I paid for it, I'd be even more aggravated with the morons on it! :wink:

CashMan
08-20-2008, 03:42 PM
No thanks. I get POed enough with free radio. I'm sure if I paid for it, I'd be even more aggravated with the morons on it! :wink:

There is more than just sports talk, there is tons of music.

Frontman
08-20-2008, 04:37 PM
There is more than just sports talk, there is tons of music.

Got the mp3 player for that and listen to music while prepping a route for delivery. I should, however get speakers so I could take it with on the street. That way, when its Flubsession broadcasts, I could flip on a bit of Elvis or whatnot.

My wife and I were just talking about subscription radio. She said,

"Well, you know you'd always be able to find something to listen to."

my response.

"Just like when we've rifled through the 200+ cable channels then wind up popping in a DVD anyways?"

:D:

DickAllen72
08-20-2008, 05:59 PM
My wife and I were just talking about subscription radio. She said,

"Well, you know you'd always be able to find something to listen to."

my response.

"Just like when we've rifled through the 200+ cable channels then wind up popping in a DVD anyways?"

:D:

Excellent.

32nd&Wallace
08-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Murph is ignorant, lazy and offers no insight on anything. On the Friday before the Cubs/Sox game at the Cell, Murph's "question of the day" was whether you could be a Sox fan AND a Cub fan.

His interviews are awful. He will always go "yeah, yeah, aha aha, yeah" WHEN THE OTHER GUEST IS TALKING...

But what really irked me was when he called out Mike Mulligan for not doing his job when he failed to ask Jerry Angelo some question. Give credit to Mulligan who acted like a professional and didn't lose his cool. What bothered me was that here was Murph - someone who brags that he doesn't go into the locker room and doesn't need to talk to the jocks - calling out someone who does that very thing for a living and telling him how to do his job.

How he has a job after that I will never understand.

Maximo
08-20-2008, 08:47 PM
The best thing about Mike Murphy having a show on the Score is that it's one less guy collecting unemployment.

Adele_H
08-20-2008, 11:49 PM
I agree 100%. The way Bernstein has been going on and on about how ugly Michael Phelps is nauseating.

Apparently Bernstein's darling Amanda Beard is, um, not a fan of Michael Phelps looks herself per her recent comments. The plot thickens.

How about B & B's newest bait: anyone who wouldn't take Cubs top pitchers over their Sox counterparts, lacks a brain in their head. :rolleyes:

Frontman
08-21-2008, 12:04 AM
A few interesting comments about Murph from Steve Stone on his website:

http://stevestone.com/EmailSection2.html

Dunno about anyone else, but I hope someone in WSCR's management office realizes that they would lose a valuable asset if Stone doesn't re-up due to the mustached moron in the midday slot......

Frontman
08-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Apparently Bernstein's darling Amanda Beard is, um, not a fan of Michael Phelps looks herself per her recent comments. The plot thickens.

How about B & B's newest bait: anyone who wouldn't take Cubs top pitchers over their Sox counterparts, lacks a brain in their head. :rolleyes:

I care oh so little about what Amanda Beard has to say. She might be a nice person, she might be hot in Playboy, but I'm sorry; I don't think she has the final word on Michael Phelps and his career.

Viva Medias B's
08-21-2008, 12:26 AM
A few interesting comments about Murph from Steve Stone on his website:

http://stevestone.com/EmailSection2.html

Dunno about anyone else, but I hope someone in WSCR's management office realizes that they would lose a valuable asset if Stone doesn't re-up due to the mustached moron in the midday slot......

Stone mentions that Murph has a "lenghty list" of enemies. Ouch.

Frontman
08-21-2008, 08:05 AM
Stone mentions that Murph has a "lenghty list" of enemies. Ouch.

I'll give you off the top of my head:

Boers
Berstein
Mully
Hanley
Doug Buffone (Doug got so POed with him for not understanding a simple concept like a salary cap)
Steve Stone

All guys he's picked an argument with or got POed by being stupid and talking over them.

After North left WSCR, I don't think he's got a single on air talent that likes him. Maybe L. Holmes, but I doubt that as well. I know Matt Abattacola can't stand the guy.

SOXPHILE
08-21-2008, 11:37 AM
I can't wait for football season, when each Friday Murph has on his pal, the mafia wiseguy / superfan sound alike "The Duke", and all his picks.

If you've ever heard this segment, it sounds like some sort of Saturday Night Live bit, but it's supposed to be serious. This guy, some attorney named Joe Crispino, comes on and gives Murph and all of us his weekly NFL picks, using all the "insight" and "background" info he has. (Maybe he has the same inside guy that Boers has)- When you look at how he actually did each week, he's about .500, and sometimes below that. Wow. The guys comes across as a total jackass, and acts like this big tough guy over the phone. Of course, Murph just slurps it up and acts like this is the greatest prognosticating in the history of man.

soxpride724
08-21-2008, 12:30 PM
I can't wait for football season, when each Friday Murph has on his pal, the mafia wiseguy / superfan sound alike "The Duke", and all his picks.

If you've ever heard this segment, it sounds like some sort of Saturday Night Live bit, but it's supposed to be serious. This guy, some attorney named Joe Crispino, comes on and gives Murph and all of us his weekly NFL picks, using all the "insight" and "background" info he has. (Maybe he has the same inside guy that Boers has)- When you look at how he actually did each week, he's about .500, and sometimes below that. Wow. The guys comes across as a total jackass, and acts like this big tough guy over the phone. Of course, Murph just slurps it up and acts like this is the greatest prognosticating in the history of man.

LOL I forgot about that guy! I used to listen to Mike Murphy all the time when he was on nights (had no choice I was on seconds with nothing else on) and I used to think I was the only one who found that segment a little strange. The other guy that does the the baseball numbers is a little odd too.