PDA

View Full Version : The Friggin A's

hawkjt
08-15-2008, 03:56 PM
out in frigging Oakland almost always find a way to hurt the Sox.(6-21 since 2001). I admit they freak me out. They are playing horribly since the all-star break, they have traded much of their talent, yet, I am very concerned about the Sox prospects this weekend. It is a big series to break thru the 16 over .500 barrier the Sox have hit at least 3 times this year without moving above it.
The pitching matchups:

Gavin Floyd (12-6 ,3.84) vs Dallas Braden (3-2, 4.68) edge to Gavin, I would think altho the betting odds slightly favor Braden. I have never heard of this guy, nor have the sox ever faced him,I believe..red flag.
He is a lefty,another red flag. This is yet another key game to set the tone for the series.

John Danks (9-5,3.18) vs Greg Smith(5-11,3.92?) Smith shut the sox down early in the season in Soxpark ,has a good era, but clearly not much run support. Another lefty, but at least the sox have seen him and I do believe they got to him last time they faced him.

Javier Vasquez(9-10,4.50) vs Gio Gonzalez(1-1,4.09) Recently called up ex-Sox Gio looked pretty good so far in his two starts, a lefty, and the sox have never faced him...red flags...but, I presume they may have faced him in spring training in intrasquad games, right? Now, he just may be a little geeked himself to face his old team so that could work for the sox.

Big Frank had a clutch hit last nite to extend the A's into extras.
No sure how he is hitting but he does pound the Sox...yikes.
As an aside, Teddy Greenstein of the Trib(who I do not mind) made a snide little comment in his column today about Frank '' when was the last time you saw Frank in the highlights on SportsCenter?''....hey Teddy, the answer? Last nite.

There is no reason the Sox should not go out west and get a series win this weekend but we have said that many times so I am nervous. The umps have contributed to inexplicable losses out there along with Sox braincramps. No Hunter Wendelstat,please...just get two and come home for the year from the west coast. Enough already.

oeo
08-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I think for once we should be fairly successful out there. You're basing your 'red flags' off of things that have troubled us in the past. This year we are 23-14 against LHP, and successful against pitchers we haven't seen before (don't know the exact record, but know it's over .500).

I'm just pissed off that we have to go west for one series and then come back home (with no off day before or after). Terrible scheduling.

Noneck
08-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Gavin Floyd (12-6 ,3.84) vs Dallas Braden (3-2, 4.68) edge to Gavin, I would think altho the betting odds slightly favor Braden.

Floyd is -120 over Braden

thedudeabides
08-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Well said Hawkjt, but I have to admit, I'm pretty confident about this series. It'll be nice to be done with the west coast.

hawkjt
08-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Floyd is -120 over Braden

Thats what I get for depending on the Tribune for the odds. They show Braden -110 over Floyd. I thought it was screwy to have a new guy over the 12 game winner.
Go Sox!!

jdm2662
08-15-2008, 04:37 PM
I think for once we should be fairly successful out there. You're basing your 'red flags' off of things that have troubled us in the past. This year we are 23-14 against LHP, and successful against pitchers we haven't seen before (don't know the exact record, but know it's over .500).

I'm just pissed off that we have to go west for one series and then come back home (with no off day before or after). Terrible scheduling.

That makes no sense what-so-ever. Of course, they did the same thing when they played the Dodgers. Really dumb.

jimd23
08-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Three straight lefties in Oakland Is there anything else they can add to this recipe for disaster?

With the Twins getting Seattle at home this weekend we need to find a way to get a couple wins. The Sox have been better this year against lefties and no-namers than they have been most of the decade, but in some cases like Minnesota and Oakland they could not beat a high school team in those ballparks.

sox1970
08-15-2008, 04:45 PM
No excuses. They need to go out there and win games. Then they need to come home and........win games.

BringBackBlkJack
08-15-2008, 04:56 PM
It's Oakland in Oakland, the series starts off with a pitcher the Sox have never seen before, and they get no off-day before or after the long trip for the series.

I'd be thrilled if we win 2 of this set.

turners56
08-15-2008, 05:08 PM
We should really win 2/3, but I wouldn't be surprised if we only take one of three or get swept. :angry:

BadBobbyJenks
08-15-2008, 05:11 PM
We shall layeth the smacketh down uponeth their candy asses

doublem23
08-15-2008, 05:12 PM
We should really win 2/3, but I wouldn't be surprised if we only take one of three or get swept. :angry:

That's the spirit.

KenBerryGrab
08-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Take a billion pitches and go all Moneyball on their ass!
Take that, Billy.

Adele_H
08-15-2008, 06:49 PM
out in frigging Oakland almost always find a way to hurt the Sox.(6-21 since 2001). I admit they freak me out. They are playing horribly since the all-star break, they have traded much of their talent, yet, I am very concerned about the Sox prospects this weekend. It is a big series to break thru the 16 over .500 barrier the Sox have hit at least 3 times this year without moving above it.
The pitching matchups:

Gavin Floyd (12-6 ,3.84) vs Dallas Braden (3-2, 4.68) edge to Gavin, I would think altho the betting odds slightly favor Braden. I have never heard of this guy, nor have the sox ever faced him,I believe..red flag.
He is a lefty,another red flag. This is yet another key game to set the tone for the series.

John Danks (9-5,3.18) vs Greg Smith(5-11,3.92?) Smith shut the sox down early in the season in Soxpark ,has a good era, but clearly not much run support. Another lefty, but at least the sox have seen him and I do believe they got to him last time they faced him.

Javier Vasquez(9-10,4.50) vs Gio Gonzalez(1-1,4.09) Recently called up ex-Sox Gio looked pretty good so far in his two starts, a lefty, and the sox have never faced him...red flags...but, I presume they may have faced him in spring training in intrasquad games, right? Now, he just may be a little geeked himself to face his old team so that could work for the sox.

Big Frank had a clutch hit last nite to extend the A's into extras.
No sure how he is hitting but he does pound the Sox...yikes.
As an aside, Teddy Greenstein of the Trib(who I do not mind) made a snide little comment in his column today about Frank '' when was the last time you saw Frank in the highlights on SportsCenter?''....hey Teddy, the answer? Last nite.

There is no reason the Sox should not go out west and get a series win this weekend but we have said that many times so I am nervous. The umps have contributed to inexplicable losses out there along with Sox braincramps. No Hunter Wendelstat,please...just get two and come home for the year from the west coast. Enough already.

I want a sweep against that awful team. **** the West Coast "Curse".

turners56
08-15-2008, 06:51 PM

That's the spirit.

I had the same spirit when we went to Minnesota and look what happened...

It's one thing to be optimistic, it's another to be arrogant.

Red Barchetta
08-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Growing up, I thought the 70's era A's were one of the funnest teams to watch. The white shoes, long crazy hair, wild mustaches, etc. Since then, I have had hard time "hating" them like I do the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, Twins, etc.

In many ways, they remind me of our SOX. Meaning, they play on the "wrong side" of the bay vs. the "wrong side" of Chicago. They compete with another NL team for market share. They play in a ballpark that has been stigmatized against the opposing NL team's beautiful ballpark.

With that said, the SOX need 2/3.

TDog
08-15-2008, 07:01 PM
The White Sox have a winning record this year against pitchers they have never seen before. They have a winning record against lefties they have never seen before. People will find reason for pessimism. I came of age as a White Sox team that won fewer games in an entire season than Bobby Thigpen would save in 1990 alone. Frankly, I am always surprised when they win. The White Sox losing is part of my heritage.

This afternoon in the car, I heard the guys on the A's station in Modesto talking about how they expect the White Sox to sweep the series and expect the Sox to run away with the Central. The topic was whether Nick Swisher will get a standing ovation tonight. I'll be out at the ballpark, and I won't stand as I applaud when he comes up, but one caller said he will be there and assure there will be a standing ovation.

I do hope Nick Swisher has a great series and Frank Thomas and the other ex-Sox do not. The Sox don't have a great margin of error.

TDog
08-15-2008, 07:02 PM

Of course, the Sox did OK when I watched them in San Francisco earlier three months ago. That was a sweep.

turners56
08-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Of course, the Sox did OK when I watched them in San Francisco earlier three months ago. That was a sweep.

But the Giants are gawd awful. And they play in the NL...

Adele_H
08-15-2008, 07:40 PM

Giants? Come on, you know exactly what I meant to, um, mean. :tongue:

Frater Perdurabo
08-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Growing up, I thought the 70's era A's were one of the funnest teams to watch. The white shoes, long crazy hair, wild mustaches, etc. Since then, I have had hard time "hating" them like I do the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, Twins, etc.

In many ways, they remind me of our SOX. Meaning, they play on the "wrong side" of the bay vs. the "wrong side" of Chicago. They compete with another NL team for market share. They play in a ballpark that has been stigmatized against the opposing NL team's beautiful ballpark.

With that said, the SOX need 2/3.

There are many commonalities as you dscribe, but one of those NL parks is breathtaking while the other NL park makes you want to hold you nose.