PDA

View Full Version : Brad Ziegler has an ERA

sox1970
08-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I know. Who's Brad Ziegler?

30 appearances for Oakland--about 40 innings. Gave up his first run, and the A's are using their bullpen in extras as the Sox come to town.

gf2020
08-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Gave up his first run, and the A's are using their bullpen in extras as the Sox come to town.
Great news indeed. He even went two full innings so I question his availability for tomorrow. Gallagher only went four so they had to use six different guys to complete a heart breaking loss. Hopefully we get to Dallas Braden early tomorrow so we can take advantage.

TDog
08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I know. Who's Brad Ziegler?

30 appearances for Oakland--about 40 innings. Gave up his first run, and the A's are using their bullpen in extras as the Sox come to town.

If you haven't heard of Brad Ziegler, you haven't been paying attention. He has usurped the closer role from Huston Street, who did come back today with the first "impressive" inning he has had in awhile. Street had another scoreless inning since he took time off to find himself, but he walked two hitters in that one.

The A's have been riding Ziegler hard, and Ziegler had been making it look easy. Today in the ninth, though, the leadoff hitter nearly homered off of him. To his credit, he limited the damage to one run after the run-scoring double. He not only pitched two innings today, but he warmed up in the pen Wednesday after getting the save on Tuesday. The radio announcers were talking about Christy Matthewson and Grover Cleveland Alexander when he was pitching today.

I don't know who the A's would designate as their closer Friday night, if they need a closer. Maybe the job would return to Street by default.