PDA

View Full Version : Who else is glad we didn't trade Uribe now?

Whitesoxfan23
08-14-2008, 05:43 PM
He has saved games for us. He was demoted and never complained a bit. Juan is a team player, and I am proud he is on our team.

gogosox16
08-14-2008, 05:44 PM
I have to admit, I am glad we didn't trade him. He is a key asset to this team as a utility player and as 3rd baseman as of now.

DickAllen72
08-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Uribe is a very valuable part of this team.

Tragg
08-14-2008, 06:02 PM
He has saved games for us. He was demoted and never complained a bit. Juan is a team player, and I am proud he is on our team.
I certainly won't credit him for not complaining - he had nothing to complain about.
Yea, we need him.

turners56
08-14-2008, 06:06 PM
I. Ozuna's a nice utility player, but he can't start over a sustained amount of time.

BigP50
08-14-2008, 06:17 PM
I hated when we re-signed him but now he is making Kenny look like a genius

chisox77
08-14-2008, 06:17 PM
I have to admit, I am happy that Uribe is playing third base right now. Solid defensive player at 3B, SS, and 2B. At times, can hit. But he has been quite an asset this year (4.5 million price tag not so bad now, huh?). All of KW's moves this past offseason have been outstanding. Should get GM of the year.

:cool:

Lillian
08-14-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm so happy to see him standing up straight in the batter's box.
That bent over crouch he used to have really didn't help him.
Now it looks like he actually has a chance up there.

Adele_H
08-14-2008, 06:29 PM

Without whitewashing some of Juan's past - highly undisciplined hitter, unfocused baserunner; extra weight slightly affecting his range - it nonetheless was a no-brainer to keep him over the overrated & washed-up Pablo Ozuna. Especiallly with Joe Crede's surgically repaired back looming large.

To think, both KW and Ozzie (hey, I've had my moments, too, lol...) wanted him off the team at some point this season... As the old-timers say, the best moves are often the ones that aren't made.

thomas35forever
08-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Of all the places I thought Uribe might fit in, I never thought it would be filling in for Joe at the hot corner. He's made us all eat crow for giving up on him. If we win the World Series, much less make the playoffs, he is going to be a valuable part of the run there.

Crede24Thome25
08-14-2008, 07:29 PM
I was the number one person complaining about him I'm speechless now as most of us all are.

Carolina Kenny
08-14-2008, 07:35 PM
I am furious that you kept Uribe.

Regards,

Mrs. Fields (cookies)

asindc
08-14-2008, 07:42 PM
I was glad then, so I'm definitely glad now. Not because I thought he was playing well, but I thought we would need his glove at some point, like now.

Rockin Robin
08-14-2008, 08:02 PM
I'll go ahead and admit it. I wanted him gone, but I'm really glad he's here.

But thats why I'm not running the franchise.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-14-2008, 08:08 PM
I'll go ahead and admit it. I wanted him gone, but I'm really glad he's here.

Ditto for me as well...i've talked so much **** about his fat ass
and lazy undisciplined play over the past couple years but he is
showing us he can still get it done in the field.He still reeks at
the plate most of the time but that's not why they kept him over
Pablo.

pczarapa
08-14-2008, 08:21 PM
After some of the plays he's made at 3rd, I'm very glad we have him!

FarWestChicago
08-14-2008, 08:34 PM
I certainly won't credit him for not complaining - he had nothing to complain about.
This from perhaps the biggest complainer on this board; who has nothing to complain about.

:whatever:

ChiSox89
08-14-2008, 09:10 PM
keeping uribe ended up being huge. i remember after he came off the DL he didn't play for like 20 games and now he is making huge defensive plays for the sox down the stretch.

pierzynski07
08-14-2008, 09:32 PM
If Crede was having a good, healthy year, everyone would be saying that $4.5 million is too much for a defensive replacement.

Tragg
08-14-2008, 11:07 PM
This from perhaps the biggest complainer on this board; who has nothing to complain about.

:whatever: Weak. At least the personal attack that called me a "bot" had a touch of humor.

angiew
08-14-2008, 11:34 PM
I'll admit that I've been very critical of Uribe, and was quite upset when we didn't get rid of him. But now I definately have to give him and Kenny their due. Uribe's looking VERY good since being put back in.

Konerko05
08-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Juan Uribe has the ability to carry this team.

SpartanSoxFan
08-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Juan Uribe has the ability to carry this team.

You are very right. He definetely has the ability to carry this team. However, sometimes mind and ability are not always on the same page with our dear friend Juan. I am more than willing to eat crow on his impact on the team, though. I thought he was the epiotome of a terrible, underachieving team last season.

As Hawk said a few games ago, Juan might be the biggest enigma on the team right now.

Konerko05
08-15-2008, 01:15 AM
You are very right. He definetely has the ability to carry this team. However, sometimes mind and ability are not always on the same page with our dear friend Juan. I am more than willing to eat crow on his impact on the team, though. I thought he was the epiotome of a terrible, underachieving team last season.

As Hawk said a few games ago, Juan might be the biggest enigma on the team right now.

There should be a color for "Hawk talk." That is what I was going for.

Mohoney
08-15-2008, 01:31 AM
I have to admit, I am happy that Uribe is playing third base right now. Solid defensive player at 3B, SS, and 2B. At times, can hit. But he has been quite an asset this year (4.5 million price tag not so bad now, huh?). All of KW's moves this past offseason have been outstanding. Should get GM of the year.

:cool:

4.5 million is really bad for a 1 dimensional bench player.

Just because Joe Crede got hurt doesn't make Juan Uribe a good player. He's better than Josh Fields, but is that really a compliment to Uribe, or a scathing indictment of Fields?

I'm hoping that Joe Crede can come back and put Juan Uribe back on the bench where he belongs.

hawkjt
08-15-2008, 01:42 AM
Juan has hit good the last couple of weeks. If he keeps hitting like this the rest of the way, and continues to play very good defense at third, then we can win the division without Joe. Joe was not giving us as good as Juan is right now. I hope he is healthy and can really contribute but if he comes back as the Joe of June and July...Juan helps us more.
It seems like he has gotten an inordinate number of line shots down to third and he has handled them all well. Keep it going ,Juany.

jenn2080
08-15-2008, 08:00 AM
I love John Uribe always! Get off my wagon.

doublem23
08-15-2008, 08:12 AM

Just because Joe Crede got hurt doesn't make Juan Uribe a good player. He's better than Josh Fields, but is that really a compliment to Uribe, or a scathing indictment of Fields?

I'm hoping that Joe Crede can come back and put Juan Uribe back on the bench where he belongs.

Oh god, since taking Crede's place, Uribe is hitting .296/.356/.463 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl.cgi?share=1&n1=uribeju01&year=2008&t=b#930:949:sum)

I'm not saying you have to love Uribe, but at least be a big man and give him credit when he's earned it.

cws05champ
08-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Oh god, since taking Crede's place, Uribe is hitting .296/.356/.463 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl.cgi?share=1&n1=uribeju01&year=2008&t=b#930:949:sum)

I'm not saying you have to love Uribe, but at least be a big man and give him credit when he's earned it.
I was on board with keeping Uribe when they released Pablo only for his defensive ability, and Wise made Pablo's only asset(speed) redundant.

I did not think however he would be hitting this well, and playing 3B as well as he has. I still think he belongs on the bench in a Utility role playing a few times a week. I hope he comes back with Getz next year in this capacity(for a cheaper contract).

daveeym
08-15-2008, 09:55 AM

I'm hoping that Joe Crede can come back and put Juan Uribe back on the bench where he belongs.Kinda this. I'm glad he's got his head out of his ass and glad he's here to replace Crede and at this point would probably want him in the line up even if Crede returns. Crede is more or less done for the season and should be the backup if he returns. He's not going to be "healthy" when he comes back. Playable but not the Joe of old. He'll probably need the offseason to really return to form.

I'm glad Juan appears happy and is doing his job but he's been a schmuck the last two years and was being a pouty bitch at the beginning of the year with his demotion to second. I don't know what changed his attitude, but I'm giving him no more props than what he's earned and after this year don't want his moody fat ass around. He's not a full time player and I don't think he'll be happy here next year as a backup. There were too many time over the last two and half years were he just wasn't trying.

Having said all that, way to go Juan and keep it up for the rest of the year.:gulp::gulp::gulp:

southside rocks
08-15-2008, 10:06 AM

I have never understood the Uribe-hate, frankly. He is a streaky player and can be frustrating to watch, but he is what he is and he has come through big for the team on a number of occasions, not just this year. He carries an excellent attitude, at least according to what I read and hear, and is an asset to the team.

I never wanted him gone. I think he's overpaid a little bit, but I'm glad he's here.

He will probably never deliver on his potential, which is the frustrating aspect of him as a player. He could be great, but he does not have the mental or emotional makeup to get there. In that way, he's kind of like Javier Vazquez, IMO. But that doesn't mean that either of them are worthless.

spawn
08-15-2008, 10:06 AM

Word. HAving said that, you need to realize that once people around here get it in their heads they dislike a player, there's no changing their minds. Uribe could be having an MVP type season, and some people around here would still **** on him.

southside rocks
08-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Chris De Luca in the Sun-Times has a column today about Juan:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/1109083,CST-SPT-deluca15.article

nccwsfan
08-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Add me to the list of those eating crow. I had given up on him but Uribe has been a very helpful player for us during the second half. I'm glad he's still on the team.

Rockabilly
08-15-2008, 10:24 AM
i'm very glad that we kept Uribe.. he has played his ass off in the 2nd half of the season..

Marqhead
08-15-2008, 10:28 AM
I didn't want him to be re-signed, but when he was I was hoping it would be for a back up role. I never wanted him traded, I just didn't want him to start. He has filled in admirably, and has stepped up big time on defense for this team.

BigP50
08-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Man, I was so mad when we re-signed him. I knew he probably wouldn't start but I was still like :angry:

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-15-2008, 11:26 AM

...are you kidding me?

If a 1 dimensional player is helping (more so saving our ass) us win games then so be it...his defense at 3rd has been way more than I could've asked for and he seems to be one of the few guys (when he does hit) to be able to hit the ball up the middle....

Worth every penny of 4.5 million....

Britt Burns
08-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Add me to the list of those eating crow. I had given up on him but Uribe has been a very helpful player for us during the second half. I'm glad he's still on the team.

Same here. Man, will any of us learn to give KW the benefit of the doubt? Everyone thought resigning uribe was a bad move, as did many who thought the TCQ, Floyd, Danks, etc. trades were lousy. imagine where this team would be if we had Chis Carter instead of Carlos, Freddy instead of Floyd, McCarthy instead of Danks, and who knows who at 3rd instead of Uribe.

hawkjt
08-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Kinda this. I'm glad he's got his head out of his ass and glad he's here to replace Crede and at this point would probably want him in the line up even if Crede returns. Crede is more or less done for the season and should be the backup if he returns. He's not going to be "healthy" when he comes back. Playable but not the Joe of old. He'll probably need the offseason to really return to form.

I'm glad Juan appears happy and is doing his job but he's been a schmuck the last two years and was being a pouty bitch at the beginning of the year with his demotion to second. I don't know what changed his attitude, but I'm giving him no more props than what he's earned and after this year don't want his moody fat ass around. He's not a full time player and I don't think he'll be happy here next year as a backup. There were too many time over the last two and half years were he just wasn't trying.

Having said all that, way to go Juan and keep it up for the rest of the year.:gulp::gulp::gulp:

I missed the ''pouty b----'' act. Did he go to the papers and complain? I do not remember that. All I can go on is how he looked in the dugout..always high fiving Alexei when he did something..always smiling..and always ready to play when called on.
I simply think you are trying to find fault with Juan for some reason.
I think his attitude has been excellant. He was demoted and I never heard a peep out of him or Ozzie. If he was pouting..Ozzie would have hammered him. Ozzie is praising him in todays paper as a team guy who is a real baseball player. Whatta want?

asindc
08-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Same here. Man, will any of us learn to give KW the benefit of the doubt? Everyone thought resigning uribe was a bad move, as did many who thought the TCQ, Floyd, Danks, etc. trades were lousy. imagine where this team would be if we had Chis Carter instead of Carlos, Freddy instead of Floyd, McCarthy instead of Danks, and who knows who at 3rd instead of Uribe.

As I've said before, I don't defend KW blindly, because he is not above criticism. But I don't get some of the complaints about him (and Ozzie) from fans because, simply, we don't know what they know when they are making decisions. And, of course, they have gotten it done before and I don't think they have forgotten how to get it done.

Zisk77
08-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I think the pouty b---- act was some of the posters here not Juan. I think the pyschological term is projection.

credefan19
08-15-2008, 12:41 PM
I have to admit, I am glad we didn't trade him. He is a key asset to this team as a utility player and as 3rd baseman as of now.
He'll move to SS when Crede comes back

daveeym
08-15-2008, 01:03 PM
I missed the ''pouty b----'' act. Did he go to the papers and complain? I do not remember that. All I can go on is how he looked in the dugout..always high fiving Alexei when he did something..always smiling..and always ready to play when called on.
I simply think you are trying to find fault with Juan for some reason.
I think his attitude has been excellant. He was demoted and I never heard a peep out of him or Ozzie. If he was pouting..Ozzie would have hammered him. Ozzie is praising him in todays paper as a team guy who is a real baseball player. Whatta want?
His attitude has been great since he got back, but he was definitely pouty and lacksadasical as hell at the beginning of the year at second when he was demoted from SS for Cabrera. He was the same ole Juan at that point. All or nothing hitting, a couple great plays mixed in with a couple lollygagged throws to the wall. Pretty much not caring about anything. Also, he didn't get demoted for Alexei either, he got injured and then lost his position due to Alexei turning it on.

spawn
08-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Same here. Man, will any of us learn to give KW the benefit of the doubt?
No, because many people here believe themselves to be better GM's than him.

wsgdf
08-15-2008, 02:17 PM
His attitude has been great since he got back, but he was definitely pouty and lacksadasical as hell at the beginning of the year at second when he was demoted from SS for Cabrera. He was the same ole Juan at that point. All or nothing hitting, a couple great plays mixed in with a couple lollygagged throws to the wall. Pretty much not caring about anything. Also, he didn't get demoted for Alexei either, he got injured and then lost his position due to Alexei turning it on.

I think you're describing Cabrera at the beginning of the year. Not Uribe.

daveeym
08-15-2008, 03:13 PM
I think you're describing Cabrera at the beginning of the year. Not Uribe.
I love how 3 weeks of solid play gets the FOJU's hopping.

Thanks for 05 Juan, thanks for the current stretch and I hope you keep it up as you're the best option at third at this point. But the 2 1/2 years in between was more than enough for me to see you shipped out of here next year.

Hey I started a thread 2 weeks ago complimenting Juan on the job he's doing. It really is more than a pleasant surprise and he deserves props for it. This thread just got ridiculous with the Juan love and the vague accusations against kenny bashers and uribe haters that weren't even in the thread. Kenny wanted his ass on the bench or shipped off as well and only signed him because he didn't think he could replace him as various deals and signings fell through.

Juan offers a great glove when he's interested in playing and 2 hot streaks a year. That's it. Fortunately in 05 he was interested in playing, but since then these last three weeks, or 2 months including his play off the bench, has been about the only time he's come to play everyday and I think we can give the credit for this to the Dirty 30 for dying Juan's goat and getting him to relax.

Zisk77
08-15-2008, 03:27 PM
I love how 3 weeks of solid play gets the FOJU's hopping.

Thanks for 05 Juan, thanks for the current stretch and I hope you keep it up as you're the best option at third at this point. But the 2 1/2 years in between was more than enough for me to see you shipped out of here next year.

Hey I started a thread 2 weeks ago complimenting Juan on the job he's doing. It really is more than a pleasant surprise and he deserves props for it. This thread just got ridiculous with the Juan love and the vague accusations against kenny bashers and uribe haters that weren't even in the thread. Kenny wanted his ass on the bench or shipped off as well and only signed him because he didn't think he could replace him as various deals and signings fell through.

Juan offers a great glove when he's interested in playing and 2 hot streaks a year. That's it. Fortunately in 05 he was interested in playing, but since then these last three weeks, or 2 months including his play off the bench, has been about the only time he's come to play everyday and I think we can give the credit for this to the Dirty 30 for dying Juan's goat and getting him to relax.

Oh come on. Juan only hits when he is interested and is terrible the rest of the time. What bullcrap. Juan is not a good hitter he is a streak hitter that can get hot. The problem to some people is that Juan does not look like a ballplayer and is not demonstrative with his emotions so people assume he doesn't care or is disinterested. Same reason some people didn't like Garland :scratch:. Just because he doesn't throw a temper tantrum every time he makes an out doesn't mean he doesn't care.

Juan is a very good, albeit unorthodox fielder. Juan is a powerful and dangerous, but not good hitter.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Chris De Luca in the Sun-Times has a column today about Juan:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/1109083,CST-SPT-deluca15.article

Loved when Kenny said he looks like an offensive guard.:D:
I wanted him gone last year and over the winter but I had no problem with Ozuna being released rather than Juan because of his defense. I knew he would be better than Pablo but didn't think I would see as many great plays as we have. I think his niche is super sub.

ChiSoxFan7
08-15-2008, 06:17 PM
. Just because he doesn't throw a temper tantrum every time he makes an out doesn't mean he doesn't care.

wait whatttt????? i thought the only way to care was do the TCQ scream after every flyout:scratch:....altho i do love tht emotion!

Juan has been a great asset this year. As an everyday player he's about a C. As a sub,{ considering his expierence, glove, (capable) speed, and hot streaks} he is an B+ to A depending on his bat. Thank you KW for not trading/resigning and

hopefully he can have another put out to end the WS again :bandance::bandance:

FarWestChicago
08-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Weak. At least the personal attack that called me a "bot" had a touch of humor.Tragg, I am crushed. Since you may be the greatest expert on "weak" on this site, I am hurt by you pushing me into your level.

BoKnowsBest
08-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Tragg, I am crushed. Since you may be the greatest expert on "weak" on this site, I am hurt by you pushing me into your level.

Now when you start taking donations for the site will you stop being an ******* saying how its your site because you pay the bills and you can run it how you see fit? I like the board and all, but the fact that you seem to go out of you way to personally attack posters who say either something you disagree with. Apparently since it's your board the rules don't apply to you and you can be an ******* to whoever you want. I know I'm going to get banned for this but I've been biting my lip not saying anything about your ******* behavior for long enough. Its been fun, thanks for hosting the board, I understand its a lot of money and time going into it, and its too bad that you're an internet tough guy who can't just disagree with people without making it personal.

Daver
08-15-2008, 11:19 PM
I know I'm going to get banned for this

You know it based on what?

BoKnowsBest
08-15-2008, 11:21 PM
You know it based on what?

I know based on the fact that I called out West for being an *******, personally attacking somebody while not contributing anything to the conversation. People who call out West don't seem to stick around very long around here.

Daver
08-15-2008, 11:23 PM
I know based on the fact that I called out West for being an *******, personally attacking somebody while not contributing anything to the conversation. People who call out West don't seem to stick around very long around here.

Using that logic wouldn't you already be banned?

BoKnowsBest
08-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Using that logic wouldn't you already be banned?

I guess you decided that you'd rather talk this out than ban me immediately. Its been about 14 minutes since my first post, and I haven't been banned before so I'm not exactly sure how quickly the mods work, but I just assumed based on what I have seen that based on the content of my post I'd be banned pretty quickly.

Daver
08-15-2008, 11:35 PM
I guess you decided that you'd rather talk this out than ban me immediately. Its been about 14 minutes since my first post, and I haven't been banned before so I'm not exactly sure how quickly the mods work, but I just assumed based on what I have seen that based on the content of my post I'd be banned pretty quickly.

You do know what happens when you assume, right?

BoKnowsBest
08-15-2008, 11:39 PM
You do know what happens when you assume, right?

Yeah, the good ole make an ass out of u and me thing.

CMPDragRacing
08-15-2008, 11:55 PM

**** that mother ****ing asshat. get rid of him.

Daver
08-15-2008, 11:57 PM
**** that mother ****ing ashat. get rid of him.

Does your keyboard not have a shift key?

CMPDragRacing
08-15-2008, 11:59 PM

confused i am.

TornLabrum
08-16-2008, 12:01 AM

That bothers me less than not knowing what an ashat is.

daveeym
08-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Oh come on. Juan only hits when he is interested and is terrible the rest of the time. What bullcrap. Juan is not a good hitter he is a streak hitter that can get hot. The problem to some people is that Juan does not look like a ballplayer and is not demonstrative with his emotions so people assume he doesn't care or is disinterested. Same reason some people didn't like Garland :scratch:. Just because he doesn't throw a temper tantrum every time he makes an out doesn't mean he doesn't care.

Juan is a very good, albeit unorthodox fielder. Juan is a powerful and dangerous, but not good hitter.First learn to read, second Juan's probably the laziest player on this team when he's in one of his moods. He sits back on balls and airmails balls past pauly with half ass throws that he's lobbing across the field and then will start kicking around easy balls. When he's not being a putz he's charging balls and hosing it across the infield. You can totally see the difference in body language between bad juan and the good juan you're seeing now. And, no, acting the fool like TCQ and screaming **** on every popup (real professional there) is not how I base my opionion on whether someone cares or not.

Nellie_Fox
08-16-2008, 12:16 AM
... acting the fool like TCQ and screaming **** on every popup (real professional there) is not how I base my opionion on whether someone cares or not.You're not seriously dissing TCQ, are you? You prefer the Greg Luzinski, flip the bat, catch it by the barrel, and walk back to the dugout like you don't care?

CMPDragRacing
08-16-2008, 12:16 AM
That bothers me less than not knowing what an ashat is.

I'm sorry, I seem to have missed an s in there. Please forgive my speedy typing.

daveeym
08-16-2008, 12:24 AM
You're not seriously dissing TCQ, are you? You prefer the Greg Luzinski, flip the bat, catch it by the barrel, and walk back to the dugout like you don't care?
Not dissing his performance and it's not a distraction but it's just as unprofessional as Manny's act. I love TCQ and everyone has a **** moment while batting but on every popup where it's heard on the broadcast is just a tad unprofessional. Kangaroo Court should be fining him every time he does it since it's such a habit with him.

Britt Burns
08-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Not dissing his performance and it's not a distraction but it's just as unprofessional as Manny's act.

I think I know what you are getting at, but you aren't seriously comparing Manny's habits (i.e. laziness, showboating) with TCQ's (intensity)?

daveeym
08-16-2008, 12:38 AM
[quote=daveeym;2006087]Not dissing his performance and it's not a distraction but it's just as unprofessional as Manny's act. quote]

I think I know what you are getting at, but you aren't seriously comparing Manny's habits (i.e. laziness, showboating) with TCQ's (intensity)?
I sure am, they're both unproffesional in those situations. Now one hurts the team while the other doesn't, but they still are both unprofessional in those situations. I don't dislike TCQ or think he's a bad person for it or hurting the team like Manny can, but it's unprofessional either way.

Tragg
08-16-2008, 12:43 AM
Tragg, I am crushed. Since you may be the greatest expert on "weak" on this site, I am hurt by you pushing me into your level.

Keep on truckin with your personal attacks. That's your gig. Don't worry - I will never drop down to your level of using the ad homenim whenever people post opinions that I don't like.

Adele_H
08-16-2008, 03:12 AM
Keep on truckin with your personal attacks. That's your gig. Don't worry - I will never drop down to your level of using the ad homenim whenever people post opinions that I don't like.

Not to interrupt a fight, but...

I've known West since the glorious ESPN days. I don't know what you have done to him, but for West to lose it like this, you must have done something real bad in the past. So just apologize and get your punishment over with.

(And, besides, it's generally never a good idea to pick fights with the site's owner, whether you're right or wrong. :tongue: )

FarWestChicago
08-16-2008, 07:48 AM
I've known West since the glorious ESPN days. I don't know what you have done to him, but for West to lose it like this, you must have done something real bad in the past. So just apologize and get your punishment over with.There is no fight or punishment. Tragg is Tragg. He's got his schtick, which never varies, and gets a little testy when anybody, and there have been many other than me, points it out. I kind of like the guy because he's dependable. He's not so fond of me. :D:

FarWestChicago
08-16-2008, 07:51 AM
I will never drop down to your level of using the ad homenim whenever people post opinions that I don't like.That's easy for you to say, Tragg. Most of the people here think they are better GM's than Kenny, better managers than Ozzie and the Sox flat out suck (and have a bunch of slappers and hackers). Who is disagreeing with you or posting opinions you don't like? :dunno:

Gotcha! :redneck

FarWestChicago
08-16-2008, 08:01 AM
I know I'm going to get banned for this...:cleo

Stick to your day job, Mon. You have no gift for dis.

soxfanreggie
08-16-2008, 09:09 AM
I am glad how Juan stepped up to replace Crede. If I had to vote (prior to the start of the season) on if we should have keet him as a back-up SS/2B/3B for $4.5 million, I would have voted no. Now, if we can work out a good deal and he would be willilng to stay a back-up for next year, I'd keep him.

I think the big decision is what to do at 3B. Who knows how much money Crede's injury has saved us. I doubt we'll give him a big, L-T contract. I'm having a hard time thinking that another team will as well. He will probably demand too much for a team to take the risk of a huge deal.

Tragg
08-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Not to interrupt a fight, but...

I've known West since the glorious ESPN days. I don't know what you have done to him, but for West to lose it like this, you must have done something real bad in the past. So just apologize and get your punishment over with.

(And, besides, it's generally never a good idea to pick fights with the site's owner, whether you're right or wrong. :tongue: )
This has been going on for years. Once in a while, he starts barking at me. I usually ignore it, but sometimes (like here) I bark back.
It's nothing.
I know he owns this place. He runs an interesting board. I try to obey the rules. If he wants me off, it's certainly his right.

Tragg
08-16-2008, 04:25 PM
That's easy for you to say, Tragg. Most of the people here think they are better GM's than Kenny, better managers than Ozzie and the Sox flat out suck (and have a bunch of slappers and hackers). Who is disagreeing with you or posting opinions you don't like? :dunno:

Gotcha! :redneck
Honestly - I don't get it. I usually understand your digs, but not this one.
So I'll just drop it.

esbrechtel
08-16-2008, 07:02 PM
I have been a huge Juan basher in the past but I will gladly eat crow and am very pleased with his play since the break...

soxfanreggie
08-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Here is the interesting thing...what kind of contract do you bring him in under, if you consider bringing him back for another year? Does another team take a chance on him? I wouldn't mind bringing him back as a back-up next year because he can fill in at 3B, 2B, and SS either on the spot or for an extended period of time; however, I don't want to give him a huge contract. If he's willing to take on whatever role, I wouldn't mind a 1 year $3 million or 2 year $6.5 million deal, but I don't want to tie up $9 or 10 million in him. Probably a lot for a back-up, but I'm not sure if he'd take less...unless no other team was willing to give him something better.

I think you have to have someone in the wings like Juan who can play extended time at 3rd if you re-sign Crede.

TomBradley72
08-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Here is the interesting thing...what kind of contract do you bring him in under, if you consider bringing him back for another year? Does another team take a chance on him? I wouldn't mind bringing him back as a back-up next year because he can fill in at 3B, 2B, and SS either on the spot or for an extended period of time; however, I don't want to give him a huge contract. If he's willing to take on whatever role, I wouldn't mind a 1 year $3 million or 2 year $6.5 million deal, but I don't want to tie up $9 or 10 million in him. Probably a lot for a back-up, but I'm not sure if he'd take less...unless no other team was willing to give him something better.

I think you have to have someone in the wings like Juan who can play extended time at 3rd if you re-sign Crede.

Sign him to a "super sub" contract....no more than $2-3MM per year...2 yrs. max.....make it as incentive laden as you can...the more comfortable Uribe gets...the lower his production and overall discipline. Part of what we're seeing now is he knows his back is completely against the wall.

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Apart from a terrible April, Uribe actually is having a decent year at the plate. I recognize that in many cases he's take advantage of favorable pitching matchups, but in every other month besides April he's hit over .250.

Frankly, if Crede leaves, I think the Sox could re-sign Uribe and also sign Nick Punto, and let those two platoon at third base in 2009 and 2010 to keep the hot corner warm until Beckham is ready in late 2010 or early 2011.

Daver
08-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Apart from a terrible April, Uribe actually is having a decent year at the plate. I recognize that in many cases he's take advantage of favorable pitching matchups, but in every other month besides April he's hit over .250.

Frankly, if Crede leaves, I think the Sox could re-sign Uribe and also sign Nick Punto, and let those two platoon at third base in 2009 and 2010 to keep the hot corner warm until Beckham is ready in late 2010 or early 2011.

What is it with Sox fans that want to move players out of the position they play best? I really don't understand the philosophy behind it.

Craig Grebeck
08-17-2008, 04:51 PM

Ugh. Why?

Brian26
08-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Frankly, if Crede leaves, I think the Sox could re-sign Uribe and also sign Nick Punto

A Nick Punto acquisition could only rival trading for Ron Hassey twice in one year as the most exciting White Sox move ever.

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2008, 06:18 PM
What is it with Sox fans that want to move players out of the position they play best? I really don't understand the philosophy behind it.

I'm not one to move players to different positions on a whim, but in this case I think Alexei will have established himself at shortstop. If so, the question will be: Why make Alexei move? I'd only make Alexei move back to 2B to put Beckham at SS if Beckham is a better defensive shortstop than Alexei.

TomBradley72
08-17-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm not one to move players to different positions on a whim, but in this case I think Alexei will have established himself at shortstop. If so, the question will be: Why make Alexei move? I'd only make Alexei move back to 2B to put Beckham at SS if Beckham is a better defensive shortstop than Alexei.

Where does all the Beckham to 3rd base speculation come from? Has he ever played 3rd? He doesn't physically look like a 3rd baseman to me...looks like a middle infielder.

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 06:25 PM
if Beckham is a better defensive shortstop than Alexei..

Beckham from what I've seen does not project to be a premier defensive SS in the majors. 2B is his future, but 3B may happen, too.

Punto as a utility man idea is not a bad one, he can play all 3 INF positions fairly well. Chris Getz may not like the idea, though, lol

wealz07
08-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Sort of a quick look at what I think the plan might be.

Sign Orlando Hudson this off-season. Shift Ramirez to short and go with Fields at third, Anderson in center. If you can then deal Konerko's contract move Swisher to first. If you can't find any takers for Konerko, dealing Dye should be seriously considered with Swisher moving to RF.

When Beckham is ready, he'd take the spot of the Fields/Anderson loser. He'd move to third to replace Fields or stay at short with Ramirez going to CF to replace Anderson.

If both Fields and Anderson prove to be capable starters, Beckham would go to third and Fields to first.

The Sox could have a very good, cheap core of position players. To think that Last year we were relying on Owens and Andy Gonzalez. Quentin, Ramirez, (and Beckham) are reasons why Williams is an excellent GM.

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Sort of a quick look at what I think the plan might be.

Sign Orlando Hudson this off-season. Shift Ramirez to short and go with Fields at third, Anderson in center. If you can then deal Konerko's contract move Swisher to first. If you can't find any takers for Konerko, dealing Dye should be seriously considered with Swisher moving to RF.

When Beckham is ready, he'd take the spot of the Fields/Anderson loser. He'd move to third to replace Fields or stay at short with Ramirez going to CF to replace Anderson.

If both Fields and Anderson prove to be capable starters, Beckham would go to third and Fields to first.

The Sox could have a very good, cheap core of position players. To think that Last year we were relying on Owens and Andy Gonzalez. Quentin, Ramirez, (and Beckham) are reasons why Williams is an excellent GM.

O-Dog is Kenny's boy. I wouldn't be surprised.

Selling high on Dye who'll be 35 is something to consider, unless he both is willing and shows natural skills to play 1B. But I don't think KW works like that and he considers Dye his "gem".

Fields can't play 3B, I just don't know how to get around it.

Craig Grebeck
08-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Beckham from what I've seen does not project to be a premier defensive SS in the majors. 2B is his future, but 3B may happen, too.

Punto as a utility man idea is not a bad one, he can play all 3 INF positions fairly well. Chris Getz may not like the idea, though, lol
Yuck. Punto can't hit enough to justify any spot.