PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Anti-Brewers Cubs shirt I saw

PatK
08-14-2008, 04:55 PM
I saw a stupid

On the front it says "Hey Brewers Fans" and on the back it says "Winning Sausage Races doesn't Win Pennants"

Like the Cubs know?

WhiteSoxOnly
08-14-2008, 04:58 PM
I saw a stupid

On the front it says "Hey Brewers Fans" and on the back it says "Winning Sausage Races doesn't Win Pennants"

Like the Cubs know?

In a nutshell,that's a cub fan for 'ya...they're to stupid to know
that they are the *******s of baseball creation.

turners56
08-14-2008, 05:02 PM
I saw a stupid

Like the Cubs know?

The Brewers really don't know either...they haven't won jack for a couple of decades.

What's funnier is that these are the same Cubs fans who have the signs that say, "it's gonna happen!"

areilly
08-14-2008, 05:19 PM
The Brewers really don't know either...they haven't won jack for a couple of decades.

What's funnier is that these are the same Cubs fans who have the signs that say, "it's gonna happen!"

I don't think that's any less stupid than folks around these parts adopting "Don't stop believin'" as a mantra a few Octobers ago. Winning, for some reason, just makes people irrational almost to the point of self-delusion. And I include myself in that category.

TomBradley72
08-14-2008, 05:19 PM

Hey they've been to a World Series (1982) a hell of alot more recently than the Cubbies.

kittle42
08-14-2008, 05:21 PM

It is going to happen. They are just talking about the wrong "it."

white sox bill
08-14-2008, 05:34 PM
I saw a stupid

"Winning Sausage Races doesn't Win Pennants"

And neither do goats

PatK
08-14-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't think that's any less stupid than folks around these parts adopting "Don't stop believin'" as a mantra a few Octobers ago. Winning, for some reason, just makes people irrational almost to the point of self-delusion. And I include myself in that category.

There's a big difference between the two:

1) "Don't Stop Believin" means exactly that. We thought we could win, and so did the Sox, despite the naysayers.

2) The Cubs haven't won a pennant since the 40's, while the Brewers did that and a WS title less than 30 years ago (albeit in a different league). How would they know what it takes to win a pennant?

chisoxmike
08-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Someone should tell these people attendance doesn't win championships either.

Boondock Saint
08-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Both franchises have been failures of late (and beyond), which means that neither should be saying anything about failure to the other. It's just more of the same stupid "Left field/right field sucks" impotent bravado.

MarySwiss
08-14-2008, 06:10 PM

Yeah. Or point out that winning sausage races at least counts as winning something.

TheOldRoman
08-14-2008, 06:23 PM
I don't think that's any less stupid than folks around these parts adopting "Don't stop believin'" as a mantra a few Octobers ago. Winning, for some reason, just makes people irrational almost to the point of self-delusion. And I include myself in that category.The whole "don't stop believing" thing was first reported at the start of the ALCS. It wasn't like they were playing it all year. By the time people adopted that as a mantra, the Sox were well on their way to a championship.

turners56
08-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Hey they've been to a World Series (1982) a hell of alot more recently than the Cubbies.

But that was 26 years ago...

turners56
08-14-2008, 06:33 PM
The whole "don't stop believing" thing was first reported at the start of the ALCS. It wasn't like they were playing it all year. By the time people adopted that as a mantra, the Sox were well on their way to a championship.

Exactly, there's a difference between people doing it in August and people doing it in late October.

october23sp
08-14-2008, 06:44 PM
The whole "don't stop believing" thing was first reported at the start of the ALCS. It wasn't like they were playing it all year. By the time people adopted that as a mantra, the Sox were well on their way to a championship.

I remember hearing from some world series DVD of mine they picked it up as their slogan against baltimore in august or something. When it came on the radio.

Frater Perdurabo
08-14-2008, 06:55 PM

Indeed! That's the very first World Series I remember (I was a Cards fan when I was six).

UofCSoxFan
08-14-2008, 07:14 PM
This shirt makes no sense....it's not the Brewers players are running and/or winning the sausage races anyways. It's like saying "Drinking Beer in the Bleachers doesn't win pennants." No ****.

TheOldRoman
08-14-2008, 08:04 PM
I remember hearing from some world series DVD of mine they picked it up as their slogan against baltimore in august or something. When it came on the radio.Actually, they were at a pretty empty bar with some crappy cover band. The band played that song, and they took to it for some reason. The press didn't report it (or find out about it) until just before the ALCS, though.

LongLiveFisk
08-14-2008, 09:27 PM

It wouldn't matter. They hear only what they want to hear. Everything else is just white noise.

ComiskeyBrewer
08-15-2008, 02:54 AM
2) The Cubs haven't won a pennant since the 40's, while the Brewers did that and a WS title less than 30 years ago (albeit in a different league). How would they know what it takes to win a pennant?

The brewers have never won a World Series(they would have if Fingers hadn't gone down before the Series), they lost in 7 to the Cards.

SOXPHILE
08-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Possible responses to that shirt:

-"Like Cubs fans even know what a 'pennant' is ?"

-"Neither does throwing opponents homerun balls back on the field"

-"Neither does having the best attendance at a decrepid old stadium"

-"Neither does throwing garbage on the field any time something happens that doesn't go you teams way"

-Neither does having a fan base that consists primarily of drunken Lincoln Park frat boys and trixies, or sweater vest wearing tourists from Hayseed, Iowa"

oeo
08-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Possible responses to that shirt:

-"Like Cubs fans even know what a 'pennant' is ?"

-"Neither does throwing opponents homerun balls back on the field"

-"Neither does having the best attendance at a decrepid old stadium"

-"Neither does throwing garbage on the field any time something happens that doesn't go you teams way"

-Neither does having a fan base that consists primarily of drunken Lincoln Park frat boys and trixies, or sweater vest wearing tourists from Hayseed, Iowa"

This also works: :rolleyes:

beasly213
08-15-2008, 10:13 AM
You know what shirt I hate the most that they sell over at the Urinal?
Those stupid "Bleachers Shut up and Drink Your Beer" shirts.

All that does is prove right what people say about Cub fans. They don't care about baseball, they just care about drinking and having a good time at Wrigley.

I love bad shirts, just as long as their funny and make sense.

Like that stupid "World's Biggest Gay Bar" shirt they sell around Sox games isn't funny and it doesn't make sense.

And the stupid "US Never Sells Out Field" is also stupid. Especially since the Sox do indeed sell out their stadium quite a bit.

Oh yea.. :hijacked:

Railsplitter
08-15-2008, 10:43 AM
A Cubs fan wears a t-shirt with a stupid slogan trashing another team. In other news: cows give milk, hens lay eggs.

A t-shirt stand at Stratford Square Mall has shirts like this, for both teams. I've seen the "No sell out field" one, but not the "World's largest gay bar" one, though one that says "I"m in-Sox-icated"

One that doesn't makes sense is "Suck the White Fox" I know it's supposed to be a Spoonerism, but it comes off more like a contact code in a spy movie spoof.

Red Barchetta
08-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Almost as bad as the Cub Fan I saw at the Rays-Indians games last week in St. Pete. I attended the game for business and although I'm a die-hard SOX fan, I wore Rays colors due to us hosting the event. (Actually, it was an exciting game with the Rays tying the game with a HR in the bottom of the ninth and then winning it with a walk off HR).

Anyway, I saw the usual Rays and Tribe fans decked out in their hats, colors etc. Then a Cub fan with full gear (Hat, Soriano authentic jersey, shorts and even Cub sandals) sits down in front of us. OK fine. He then starts jawing with the Rays fans about the Cubs closing in on the Angels for best record, etc. and that the Rays would have a hard time getting past the Cubs in a World Series.

Where do they get these people?! :rolleyes:

I think I will go to a Rockies-Padres game in my full SOX gear and start jawing about the AL Central. Uh no. :D:

PatK
08-15-2008, 10:59 AM
The brewers have never won a World Series(they would have if Fingers hadn't gone down before the Series), they lost in 7 to the Cards.

D'oh, I'm an idiot.

I grew up near a lot of Brewers fans, so it seemed like they won it at the time.

Regardless, the shirt is still stupid.

Zisk77
08-15-2008, 01:03 PM
My brother lives in Atlanta and is also a sox fan like myself. His girlfriend's sister came to visit and is from Chicago and unfortunately is a cubs fan. So he took his girl and his girlfriend's sister to the Braves/cubs game last night. He said he saw a cubs fan throw a braves homer back onto the field. Then he saw francouer attempt to throw a foul ball to a braves fan but a scrub fan caught it. Then the douche threw the foul ball back onto the field.:scratch::?::o:

BadBobbyJenks
08-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Is their any other fanbase in the world that wears a shirt with just the name of the stadium on it? I hate those Wrigley Field shirts.

SaltyPretzel
08-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Is their any other fanbase in the world that wears a shirt with just the name of the stadium on it? I hate those Wrigley Field shirts.

Especially the one with the shamrock on it, as if they have some kind of Irish heritage.

thomas35forever
08-15-2008, 05:18 PM
I hate the shirts that show the guy from our '80s logo missing the ball and that "Chicago's Biggest Disasters" shirt is at least five years old. Oh and here's a new one: there's a shirt with a caricature of Harry saying something like "Holy crap, the Sox still suck!" Apparently, the idiots who made that shirt forgot that Harry was with the Sox before the Cubs.

When I was down at Wrigleyville before a game last month waiting for my friend to come back, I saw a guy still selling those "Horry Kow" shirts. I must've stood there for about ten minutes and all the while, he consistently yelled out "HATS AND HEADBANDS! 'HORRY KOW' T-SHIRTS! GET YOUR CUBS SOUVENIRS RIGHT HERE!"

God, I need to go back to Comiskey soon to get the Wrigley taste out of my mouth. I've been to back-to-back Cubs games in the last two months. I long for the day when I return to my fans and my park eating my kosher dog and churro.

turners56
08-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I hate the shirts that show the guy from our '80s logo missing the ball and that "Chicago's Biggest Disasters" shirt is at least five years old. Oh and here's a new one: there's a shirt with a caricature of Harry saying something like "Holy crap, the Sox still suck!" Apparently, the idiots who made that shirt forgot that Harry was with the Sox before the Cubs.

When I was down at Wrigleyville before a game last month waiting for my friend to come back, I saw a guy still selling those "Horry Kow" shirts. I must've stood there for about ten minutes and all the while, he consistently yelled out "HATS AND HEADBANDS! 'HORRY KOW' T-SHIRTS! GET YOUR CUBS SOUVENIRS RIGHT HERE!"

God, I need to go back to Comiskey soon to get the Wrigley taste out of my mouth. I've been to back-to-back Cubs games in the last two months. I long for the day when I return to my fans and my park eating my kosher dog and churro.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3036/2693575910_fa52e2991e_o.jpg

Frontman
08-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Cubs fans love revisionist history. It was Wrigley Field that the 7th inning stretch was invented. It was at Wrigley that Harry started singing "take me out to the ballgame." It was Wrigley that "Na Na Na Na" was first sung at. It was at Wrigley that the first organ was played, etc. (All points that I've heard them made.) They also have said Wrigley has hosted more championships than any other venue in Chicago. I tell them that's true, but the Bears championship games don't count for World Series games.....:wink:

I co-worker of mine figures when they eventually overhaul their scoreboard, they'll be the one's who invented the Jumbo-tron......

turners56
08-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Cubs fans love revisionist history. It was Wrigley Field that the 7th inning stretch was invented. It was at Wrigley that Harry started singing "take me out to the ballgame." It was Wrigley that "Na Na Na Na" was first sung at. It was at Wrigley that the first organ was played, etc. (All points that I've heard them made.) They also have said Wrigley has hosted more championships than any other venue in Chicago. I tell them that's true, but the Bears championship games don't count for World Series games.....:wink:

I co-worker of mine figures when they eventually overhaul their scoreboard, they'll be the one's who invented the Jumbo-tron......

Too funny...

Isn't Wrigley the ONLY baseball stadium in all of baseball not to have a jumbotron?

Frontman
08-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Too funny...

Isn't Wrigley the ONLY baseball stadium in all of baseball not to have a jumbotron?

Fenway has the old school scoreboard in the green monster, but I'm not sure if there is or isn't a jumbo elsewhere in the park. Beyond that, I think all the stadiums have updated and modern scoreboards.

Vernam
08-15-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't think that's any less stupid than folks around these parts adopting "Don't stop believin'" as a mantra a few Octobers ago. Winning, for some reason, just makes people irrational almost to the point of self-delusion. And I include myself in that category.What makes you so sure some of us weren't already deeply into Journey even before 2005? But bonus points for admitting you succumbed, too. :thumbsup:

Even (or especially) back in the day, I loathed them and that song. Then came 2005. Is it possible to be nostalgic for an event before it's even over? If so, that was me. Suddenly, "Don't Stop Believin'" evoked an emotional response that would've been unthinkable without its Sox association. And then came the Sopranos finale, which really sealed the deal. It's not like I have the song on my iPod or anything, but now I can't get enough of it when I hear the thing playing.

Steve Perry's still lame, but that song is Exhibit A in the power of re-contextualizing a marginal creative work to make it seem larger than it originally was -- or maybe than it really is.

Vernam

Frontman
08-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Oh, and on the list of firsts that some Cub fans claim?

They had "Go Cubs Go" before the Sox had "Go-go White Sox."

Yes, Goodman wrote "Go Cubs Go" at the age of nine if that were to be true. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I want Mags back
08-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Fenway has the old school scoreboard in the green monster, but I'm not sure if there is or isn't a jumbo elsewhere in the park. Beyond that, I think all the stadiums have updated and modern scoreboards.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/155971041_d100cf6937.jpg

I want Mags back
08-16-2008, 12:32 AM

turners56
08-16-2008, 02:53 PM

There's one in right-center.

cub killer
08-16-2008, 10:32 PM
The Brewers won a pennant 37 years more recently than the scrubs, so those T-shirts are ridiculous. The 1982 World Series was pretty good, the Brewers were as close as 3 innings away from the world title before the Cardinals pulled ahead to win it. That's much closer than the north siders have been 62 1/2 years

LongLiveFisk
08-16-2008, 10:37 PM

It's only the John Hancock signature that makes that scoreboard look so good.

Red Barchetta
08-17-2008, 04:57 PM
My brother lives in Atlanta and is also a sox fan like myself. His girlfriend's sister came to visit and is from Chicago and unfortunately is a cubs fan. So he took his girl and his girlfriend's sister to the Braves/cubs game last night. He said he saw a cubs fan throw a braves homer back onto the field. Then he saw francouer attempt to throw a foul ball to a braves fan but a scrub fan caught it. Then the douche threw the foul ball back onto the field.:scratch::?::o:

Too bad Atlanta security didn't toss all these bozos out the park for throwing objects on the field.

kittle42
08-19-2008, 02:19 PM
The reason Cubs fans enjoy "revisionist history" is that a good number of them know nothing about the history of baseball or even of their own team outside of Ron Santo.

JohnTucker0814
08-19-2008, 02:40 PM

Haven't you seen Field of Dreams??? I mean that's where he found out about Moonlight Graham... c'mon man! :D: