PDA

View Full Version : Players Who Will Be In Their "Walk" Year Next Season

Lillian
08-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Who will be in their "walk" year, next season?
I'd like to see the Sox trade for a couple of guys who might be available during the off season, because they will be Free Agents in 2010.
They are always motivated, and we wouldn't have to offer any big, long term contracts.
A true Center Fielder, a Lead Off man, and another Starter, are a few of the positions that might be filled by such players.
Who could we trade in return?

doublem23
08-14-2008, 09:29 AM
I think you're overthinking things.

Lillian
08-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Here a few names that intrigue me:

Adrian Beltre - He had an unbelievable year the last time he was in his walk year.

Carl Crawford - As the Lead Off guy and centerfielder

Chone Figgins - As a second choice, if we can't get Beltre and Crawford.

oeo
08-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Adrian Beltre - He had an unbelievable year the last time he was in his walk year.

*cough* steroids *cough*

Lillian
08-14-2008, 10:30 AM
*cough* steroids *cough*

Ooops. Well, nevertheless, he is still a pretty solid player.

delben91
08-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Why can't Brad Eldred play all 9 positions and DH?

doublem23
08-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Ooops. Well, nevertheless, he is still a pretty solid player.

Since joining the Mariners in 2005, he's been a .263/.317/.446 hitter.

I think Fields could do that.

Chicken Dinner
08-14-2008, 11:27 AM
http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2001/05/2010-free-agents.html

sullythered
08-14-2008, 11:50 AM

I don't.

Rocky Soprano
08-14-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't.

Neither do the Sox.

btrain929
08-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Neither do the Sox.

Plus I'm pretty sure Beltre plays a very solid 3B defensively. Fields, well, let's not get into that...

Malgar 12
08-14-2008, 01:22 PM

If only he was given an opportunity!

The Thomenator
08-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Beltre took steroids. I will still take his post-needle numbers and glove at our hot corner. Throw in Ichiro while you're at it. Oh yea, King Felix or Bedard too.

Lillian
08-14-2008, 03:09 PM

Touche, smart ass.

Domeshot17
08-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Neither do the Sox.

You are a fool if you think the Sox have given up on Josh. I think they are still high on him, but liked what Uribes glove gave us out of the 9 hole.

I'll still take him, someone has to be there next year, and with how pissed Ozzie and Kenny are over Crede's back he won't be here. Even if he was healthy I don't think he would be back. For all the Scott Boras works for me talk he did, he has proven us all fools as we just fell for his little media game.

nccwsfan
08-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Who will be in their "walk" year, next season?
I'd like to see the Sox trade for a couple of guys who might be available during the off season, because they will be Free Agents in 2010.
They are always motivated, and we wouldn't have to offer any big, long term contracts.
A true Center Fielder, a Lead Off man, and another Starter, are a few of the positions that might be filled by such players.
Who could we trade in return?

Isn't this similar to the strategy Bill Veeck used to put together the 77' White Sox (South Side Hit Men)?

Lillian
08-19-2008, 02:30 PM
I know that it's early to be thinking about the off season, but I can't help myself. So, if the strategy of getting guys in their "walk" year won't fly, how about the following:?

Trade Konerko to the Angels for Figgins, and a Minor League pitcher.
The Angels could then save the money on resigning Teixeira.
This is the trade that a few of us wished the Sox had made last winter.

Trade Fields and Swisher for Carl Crawford. The Rays will owe Crawford too much on his escalating contract. He is owed 8.25 M next year, then 10 M in 2010. Swisher could replace Crawford in Left, and Fields could DH for the Rays.

With all of the money we would save by not resigning Crede, Thome, Cabrera, and trading Konerko and Swisher, maybe the Sox could enter the Teixeira sweepstakes.

Here is one possible lineup:

3B Figgins
2B Getz
RF Quentin
1B Teixeira
DH Dye
LF Crawford
SS Alexei Ramirez
CF Brian Anderson
C A. J.

Lots of speed, balance between power and average, and a good mix of right and left handed hitters.

palehozenychicty
08-19-2008, 02:39 PM
I know that it's early to be thinking about the off season, but I can't help my self. So, if the strategy of getting guys in their "walk" year won't fly, how about the following:?

Trade Konerko to the Angels for Figgins, and a Minor League pitcher.
The Angels could then save the money on resigning Teixeira.
This is the trade that a few of us wished the Sox had made last winter.

Trade Fields and Swisher for Carl Crawford. The Rays will owe Crawford too much on his escalating contract. He is owed 8.25 M next year, then 10 M in 2010. Swisher could replace Crawford in Left, and Fields could DH for the Rays.

With all of the money we would save by not resigning Crede, Thome, Cabrera, and trading Konerko and Swisher, maybe the Sox could enter the Teixeira sweepstakes.

Here is one possible lineup:

3B Figgins
2B Getz
RF Quentin
1B Teixeira
DH Dye
LF Crawford
SS Alexei Ramirez
CF Brian Anderson
C A. J.

Lots of speed, balance between power and average, and a good mix of right and left handed hitters.

I wouldn't mind this move if Konerko wasn't in such a decline over the last two years. I wonder if the Angels would still want him. The Angels also have guys (Kendry Morales is one) that could step in for Teixeira should he walk.
As far as Swisher, if Tampa takes him for Crawford, I am dancing down Broadway. Other than OBP and a cheap contract, Swisher doesn't bring a whole lot to the table. I like his personality, but he wasn't worth Gonzalez and Santos. Sweeney and one of them should have been enough.

jabrch
08-19-2008, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't mind this move if Konerko wasn't in such a decline over the last two years.

Have you seen him since coming off the shelf and being healthy? I'm not seeing a player in decline.

chaerulez
08-19-2008, 04:08 PM

That OBP is only 0.22 higher than Uribe's career and same with the slugging. Considering the amount of money they paid him, that's pathetic.

palehozenychicty
08-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Have you seen him since coming off the shelf and being healthy? I'm not seeing a player in decline.

He's played better, but you can't deny that his consistency has dropped the last two years. Don't get me wrong, Paulie is one of my favorites. But if they can break up the Swisher/Thome/Konerko logjam for next year to get more versatile, it's fine with me.

Lillian
08-20-2008, 11:44 AM
He's played better, but you can't deny that his consistency has dropped the last two years. Don't get me wrong, Paulie is one of my favorites. But if they can break up the Swisher/Thome/Konerko logjam for next year to get more versatile, it's fine with me.

The opportunity to "break up the middle of the order logjam" is there for the taking. With the addition of Quentin there is no longer a need to keep all the slow, softball type hitters in the middle of the lineup.
With Dye moving to DH, and the addition of one younger hitter like Teixeira, a lesser bat with speed like Crawford, or both, the Sox should be able to ease out the aging, slow players. By subtracting Thome, Konerko, and Crede, the only slow guy left would be Dye.
Although Ozzie has always said he wants speed and versatility, if they don't seize this opportunity, then we would have to conclude that this type of slow, power hitting team is what they prefer.
They need to trade Konerko in order to complete such a transition. That will be much harder than it would have been this past off season, because of his poor season, and his new no trade status, but it might still be possible. Let's hope so. I'll be rooting for him to have a strong finish.

oeo
08-20-2008, 11:50 AM
You are a fool if you think the Sox have given up on Josh. I think they are still high on him, but liked what Uribes glove gave us out of the 9 hole.

I'll still take him, someone has to be there next year, and with how pissed Ozzie and Kenny are over Crede's back he won't be here. Even if he was healthy I don't think he would be back. For all the Scott Boras works for me talk he did, he has proven us all fools as we just fell for his little media game.

Actually, it's looking more and more likely that Crede was the fool. A long-term contract is a long way away for Crede.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-20-2008, 11:55 AM
The opportunity to "break up the middle of the order logjam" is there for the taking. With the addition of Quentin there is no longer a need to keep all the slow, softball type hitters in the middle of the lineup.
With Dye moving to DH, and the addition of one younger hitter like Teixeira, a lesser bat with speed like Crawford, or both, the Sox should be able to ease out the aging, slow players. By subtracting Thome, Konerko, and Crede, the only slow guy left would be Dye.
Although Ozzie has always said he wants speed and versatility, if they don't seize this opportunity, then we would have to conclude that this type of slow, power hitting team is what they prefer.
They need to trade Konerko in order to complete such a transition. That will be much harder than it would have been this past off season, because of his poor season, and his new no trade status, but it might still be possible. Let's hope so. I'll be rooting for him to have a strong finish.

I doubt Dye is moving to DH next year. The way it is shaping up, Thome will get enough plate appearances this year to vest his option, which means he'll be back and the DH in 2009 for one last season.

Yes, the chance to get a bit faster is if the Sox can trade Konerko, which would free up 1B for Swisher. I would like that scenario.

That would mean the Sox need a CF. If they can find a good-hitting third baseman, they could afford to use CF for defense, and Anderson would be a possibility there.

In terms of free agent activity, though, I don't see the Sox being very active other than looking at a third baseman.

Lillian
08-20-2008, 07:03 PM
I doubt Dye is moving to DH next year. The way it is shaping up, Thome will get enough plate appearances this year to vest his option, which means he'll be back and the DH in 2009 for one last season.

Yes, the chance to get a bit faster is if the Sox can trade Konerko, which would free up 1B for Swisher. I would like that scenario.

That would mean the Sox need a CF. If they can find a good-hitting third baseman, they could afford to use CF for defense, and Anderson would be a possibility there.

In terms of free agent activity, though, I don't see the Sox being very active other than looking at a third baseman.

I agree with your assessment.
Swisher would be fine at first, assuming that they aren't going to go after Teixeira.
Anderson would be acceptable if they get an offensive player for 3B.
I'll bet the Mariners would love to dump the 12M dollar committment to Beltre for the last year of his contract. That would work for me.