PDA

View Full Version : What Sox Autographs Do You Have?

BigP50
08-14-2008, 12:23 AM
I have a Ball signed by: Paul Konerko, Josh Fields, David Aardsma, Jerry Owens

Another Ball signed by Josh Fields, Harold Baines and Jon Garland

Then a pocket schedule signed by Bill Melton and another one signed by Ron Kittle

Then a picture of each one of those guys signed

Crede24Thome25
08-14-2008, 12:46 AM
I have signed pictures of Paul Konerko,Jim Thome, Tadahito Iguchi world series,Frank Thomas. Balls signed Bobby Jenks, Luis Aparicio, and a gameused world series baseball signed by Coop,signed jersey of Bobby Jenks, and a Jermaine Dye signed mini helmet.:D:

lizard6king6
08-14-2008, 12:48 AM
Oh oh oh, i would go into a long story but Im too lazy. Last Monday I met and got a authentic ball signed by Swish, Ozzie, Baines, Coop, AJ, and TCQ! Missed Thome by a few seconds. It was awesome! I have a few pics but not too many since I was so excited while getting the autos. Is it just me or do others get all gitty and feel like a little kid when meeting their favorite Sox players?!?!

cali2005.
08-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Oh oh oh, i would go into a long story but Im too lazy. Last Monday I met and got a authentic ball signed by Swish, Ozzie, Baines, Coop, AJ, and TCQ! Missed Thome by a few seconds. It was awesome! I have a few pics but not too many since I was so excited while getting the autos. Is it just me or do others get all gitty and feel like a little kid when meeting their favorite Sox players?!?!

dude i get giddy when the sox came to SF this year and i was in the bleachers and i got to see the sox in person. I was giddy just watching BA running in the outfield. and TQC hitting a HR in person.

BigP50
08-14-2008, 12:50 AM
well considering I'm a kid, I know how you feel

and I know it's not an autograph but I met Minnie Monoso and got a pic with him when I was at a game this year

Rdy2PlayBall
08-14-2008, 12:52 AM
-Frank Thomas! :bandance:

And 3 other guys, I got them a last year when I could care less about the players if it wasn't Konerko or any other of the big players like that. xD
*OK* I did a big search of signatures and I found out the other guys :tongue:

- Boon Logan
- Josh Fields
- Luis Terrero

The Frank Thomas one wasn't at a game, my dad met him at his work. The other 3 were are a game down in Tampa when I was on vacation there! :D They are all on one ball. Too bad everyone I have asside from Thomas kind of sucks. :whiner:

08-14-2008, 12:55 AM
I have an autographed framed Sammy Sosa in White Sox gear sitting somewhere in my parents basement. It is on a real nice plaque.

Any bidders?

UofCSoxFan
08-14-2008, 12:56 AM
I have Michael Jordan (on a baseball so I'm counting it), Ken Griffey Jr. on a 1994 All-Star game ball (still weird to count him on a White Sox list), Frank Thomas, and a Bobby Jenks ball signed with the slogan "Final Out" in reference to the 2005 World Series.

BigP50
08-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Nick Swisher's Marketing and PR lady is sending me a Nick Swisher Autographed ball

BringBackBlkJack
08-14-2008, 01:31 AM
I've got a ball signed by Scotty Pods, Alex Cintron and Don Cooper.

I've also got a signed 8x10 of Ozzie but it was a gift.

BigP50
08-14-2008, 01:34 AM
I have one of those authentic game balls and I really want to get it signed but U always forget to bring it, and I always see the same exact balls at memorabilia stores and the cheapest are like 70$. Man it would be sweet to get one of those balls signed!

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-14-2008, 03:00 AM
2005 World Series (individually on world series baseballs):
Everyone on the 2005 25-Man World Series roster except for Ozuna, Garcia, Vizcaino, & Iguchi. I have those 4 individually on regular baseballs.

Current Team (individually on baseballs):
Konerko, Thome, Dye, Quentin, Crede, Swisher, Anderson, Fields, Wise, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Jenks, Vazquez, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, Carrasco, Uribe, Owens, & Russell.

Former (individually on baseballs):
Thomas, Gossage, Aparicio, Peters, Pierce, Landis, Baines, J.C. Martin, Skowron, Guillen, Squires, Kittle, Horlen, Bart Johnson, Minoso, Randy Martz, Bannister, Vance Law, Hickey, Heath Phillips, Masset, Richar, Loiaza, McCarthy, Aardsma, Takatsu, Gload, Borchard, Schoeneweis, Burke, & Cooper.

Team balls:
1964, 2007, & 2008.

chisoxfan4life
08-14-2008, 03:34 AM
2005 World Series (individually on world series baseballs):
Everyone on the 2005 25-Man World Series roster except for Ozuna, Garcia, Vizcaino, & Iguchi. I have those 4 individually on regular baseballs.

Current Team (individually on baseballs):
Konerko, Thome, Dye, Quentin, Crede, Swisher, Anderson, Fields, Wise, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Jenks, Vazquez, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, Carrasco, Uribe, Owens, & Russell.

Former (individually on baseballs):
Thomas, Gossage, Aparicio, Peters, Pierce, Landis, Baines, J.C. Martin, Skowron, Guillen, Squires, Kittle, Horlen, Bart Johnson, Minoso, Randy Martz, Bannister, Vance Law, Hickey, Heath Phillips, Masset, Richar, Loiaza, McCarthy, Aardsma, Takatsu, Gload, Borchard, Schoeneweis, Burke, & Cooper.

Team balls:
1964, 2007, & 2008.

Well I have nowhere near the collection as you, sir. But here is what I got:

Frank Thomas (3), Magglio Ordonez (2), Joe Crede, AJ Pierzynski, Ryan Sweeney, Jose Valentine, Tony Graffinino, Mark Buehrle, Joe Crede, Freddy Garcia, Brandon McCarthy, Willie Harris, Minoso, Bill Melton, Esteban Loaiza, Jon Garland. Probably have more I just can't remember.

WSox597
08-14-2008, 06:06 AM
I have an autographed framed Sammy Sosa in White Sox gear sitting somewhere in my parents basement. It is on a real nice plaque.

Any bidders?

I bid $0.17. I hope to double my money. :D:

HBaines03
08-14-2008, 07:01 AM
I have baseballs signed by Scott Podsednik, Joe Crede, John Danks, Gavin Floyd, Paul Konerko, Scott Linebrink, Jose Contreras, Brian Anderson, Boone Logan & a couple others I can't think of off the top of my head right now. I got all of these in the last 2 years going to spring training. I almost got Lisa Dergan with Scotty but she was trying to hide from everyone. My best is a ball from Jim Thome that he hit during extra batting on a practice field. The ball landed in the parking lot and he signed it the next day. I have tried to get one from my favorite player Harold Baines but he never does.

Max Power
08-14-2008, 07:20 AM
I have Buehrle (picture), AJ (picture), and Dye (ball). I won all of them in charity auctions. One of the auctions is coming up again soon so hopefully I'll add to my small collection.

Marqhead
08-14-2008, 07:53 AM
The other day I was cleaning out my room and I found a pennant from SoxFest with autographs from Jon Garland, Joe Borchard, Kelly Wunsch, and one other former Sox great. I promptly threw it in the trash.

tonyho7476
08-14-2008, 08:53 AM
I have Freddy G (ball), Rowand (ball), Uribe (ball), DJ (ball), RAines (ball), Jenks (ball), Konerko (picture), jenks and politte (hat), Hawk and Wimpy (sox fest program), and Fisk (picture).

Tom~Attitude
08-14-2008, 09:55 AM
I have a fielders mitt with Fisk, Baines and Minnie autographs. My favorite is a Genie garage door remote with Ozzie and Greg Walker. Got those two at Chicago Ridge Mall back when Ozzie was a rookie.

skottyj242
08-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Authentic road gray Toby Hall jersey signed in a silver pen on the black 4 on the back.

Vestigio
08-14-2008, 10:11 AM
8 x 10's of Baines/Fisk, Ventura, Garcia, and Minoso

Signed ball by Baines, Walker, and Anderson

skottyj242
08-14-2008, 10:38 AM
The only ones that I have out are an 8x10 of Konerko hitting grand slam, 8x10 Jenks saving game one, Thome and AJ balls.

Dan the Man
08-14-2008, 10:45 AM
I've got a ball with Freddy Garcia, Luis Vizcaino, and Neal Cotts.

Another with Jenks, Garland, Anderson.

Got one this spring with Alexei, Swisher, Fields, and Dotel.

Individual one of Ozzie.

RoobarbPie
08-14-2008, 11:18 AM
I have a ball signed by Lance Johnson, Ken Patterson, and Jeff Torborg.

I also have a large signed and framed picture of the Konerko WS Grand Slam. I like that one better than the baseball.

BigP50
08-14-2008, 11:41 AM
I have a ball signed by Lance Johnson, Ken Patterson, and Jeff Torborg.

I also have a large signed and framed picture of the Konerko WS Grand Slam. I like that one better than the baseball.

yea, honestly I have never heard of any of those first 3 guys

RoobarbPie
08-14-2008, 11:52 AM
yea, honestly I have never heard of any of those first 3 guys

Thanks for making me (and probably everyone else) feel old. :cool:

They were on the team around the time you were born, and that wasn't THAT long ago.

By the way, welcome to WSI!

eriqjaffe
08-14-2008, 11:52 AM
yea, honestly I have never heard of any of those first 3 guys:o:

I got Moose Skowron's autograph for my mother-in-law, so I had it for a few hours, and I have an autographed copy of Kittle's book.

BigP50
08-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for making me (and probably everyone else) feel old. :cool:

They were on the team around the time you were born, and that wasn't THAT long ago.

By the way, welcome to WSI!

Thanks, I usually post on the Scout.com Boards but I really like this one

ohthosechisox
08-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Let's see, on baseballs I have: Buehrle, Jenks, Vazquez, Swisher, Dye, Konerko, Aardsma, Hall, Floyd, Danks, Fields, Owens, Logan, Masset, Ozzie, Hawk and DJ.

On pictures I have: Podsednik, Garland, Contreras, Cintron, Thornton, Gload, Mackowiak, Fields.

I think that's it. More to come in the future I hope! :)

BigP50
08-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Let's see, on baseballs I have: Buehrle, Jenks, Vazquez, Swisher, Dye, Konerko, Aardsma, Hall, Floyd, Danks, Fields, Owens, Logan, Masset, Ozzie, Hawk and DJ.

On pictures I have: Podsednik, Garland, Contreras, Cintron, Thornton, Gload, Mackowiak, Fields.

I think that's it. More to come in the future I hope! :)

man, how do u get all those

bluestar
08-14-2008, 12:14 PM
The only Sox (or any kind of celebrity) autograph I have is a ball signed by Frank Thomas. I'm not much of an autograph collector, obviously.

BigP50
08-14-2008, 12:15 PM
that's pretty good

TheCommander
08-14-2008, 12:18 PM
I have almost 400 different Sox player's signatures on various items(mostly baseball cards as well as baseballs,8X10's,programs,etc.). A lot of them I have obtained through the mail,several at promotional appearances,a handful at the ballpark,some through trades and also ebay.

BigP50
08-14-2008, 12:20 PM
I never know when these appreances are going to be, If I did I would have a lot more

officerron
08-14-2008, 12:22 PM
on one baseball i got in spring training '06: aj, ozzie, contreares, cotts, garland, buehrle, widger, uribe, gload, dye, paulie, jenks, thome, harold, rock raines, cora, coop, pods, BA, and jerry owens

ball i got when i was little: ventura, ozzie, frank, bill simas, DJ, baldwin, lyle mouton, tony pena, and mike cameron

single balls: paulie and pods

picture of the "dropped 3rd strike" in the 05 ALCS by AJ

wheates box signed by buehrle

and somewhere in my house i have a signed mini helmet by the 2000 sox, plue bo jackson.

BigP50
08-14-2008, 12:23 PM
I would really like to get a Thome since he hit his 500th homer with the Sox

btrain929
08-14-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm doing this off the top of my head, so I might forget some, but here's what I got:

Black Rawlings Big Stick, signed in silver sharpie, by:
Swisher, Konerko, Ron Kittle, Harold Baines, Greg Walker, Ozzie, Dan Pasqua, J.Owens, B.Anderson, Jason Bourgeois (AAA), AJ Pierzynski, Thome, Crede, Alexei, Geoff Blum.

Tan Rawlings Big Stick, signed in black sharpie (my current project), by:
Bill Melton, Luis Aparicio.

8x10 photos by:
Buehrle, Javy, and a 2005 World Series Celebration 8x10 signed by Ozzie, Jerry Reinsdorf, and Coop.

Rawlings Official MLBaseball by:
Billy Pierce, Jack Mcdowell, Lamarr Hoyt.

Baseball cards by:
Swisher, Juan Nieves, Scott Radinsky, Harold Baines, Jeff Cox, Iguchi, Danks, Adam Russell, Howry, Buehrle, Aaron Poreda, Garland, Dustin Hermanson, Greg Luzinski, Steve Trout, Wassermann, Tom Paciorek, Masset, Ron Kittle, Bob Molinaro, Tony LaRussa, Matt Thornton, Boone Logan, Donn Pall, Mike Squires, Ed Farmer, Roberto Hernandez, Floyd Bannister, Kenny Williams, Richard Dotson.

Also cards signed by at least 30 players from the 50's-70's White Sox.

officerron
08-14-2008, 12:27 PM
gla gla gla, nice work trizzle

btrain929
08-14-2008, 12:31 PM
gla gla gla, nice work trizzle

Muhuhahaha, hello friend.

ohthosechisox
08-14-2008, 12:56 PM
man, how do u get all those

I've gotten the majority of them at SoxFest. I've also been to a couple of autograph sessions at the Brookfield Zoo, fan appreciation day, and spring training. :-)

JermaineDye05
08-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Neal Cotts, Carlos Lee, Aaron Rowand, Tim Raines, and Carl Everett.

I had Crazy Carl sign a plastic dinosaur... Not really lol but I wonder if anyone has done that to him before...

PaleHoser
08-14-2008, 01:15 PM
I have a ball autographed by Luke Appling, Chico Carrasquel, Luis Aparicio and Ozzie Guillen.

I have a copy of "The Pictorial History of the White Sox" from 1981 with 60-70 autographs including Appling, Aparicio, Dick Allen, Stan Bahnsen, Harold Baines, Ken Berry, Carrasquel, Carlton Fisk, Jim Landis, Bob Lemon, Carlos May, Bill Melton, Minnie Minoso, Jorge Orta, Billy Pierce, Jim Rivera, Bob Shaw, Eric Soderholm, Wilbur Wood, Early Wynn. Absolutely priceless...

btrain929
08-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I have a ball autographed by Luke Appling, Chico Carrasquel, Luis Aparicio and Ozzie Guillen.

I have a copy of "The Pictorial History of the White Sox" from 1981 with 60-70 autographs including Appling, Aparicio, Dick Allen, Stan Bahnsen, Harold Baines, Ken Berry, Carrasquel, Carlton Fisk, Jim Landis, Bob Lemon, Carlos May, Bill Melton, Minnie Minoso, Jorge Orta, Billy Pierce, Jim Rivera, Bob Shaw, Eric Soderholm, Wilbur Wood, Early Wynn. Absolutely priceless...

Now THAT'S what I call a piece of history....very nice.

salty99
08-14-2008, 04:15 PM

I'll buy it for a dollar!

esbrechtel
08-14-2008, 04:56 PM
8X10: Ozzie, Dye, Uribe, Jenks, Rowand, Aj (all on 2005 playoff Photos) Thome, Garland

WS Baseball: Iguchi, Konerko

Authentic Baseballs: Swisher, Linebrink, Podsednik, Danks, Melton, DJ

16X20: Buehrle (no hitter poster print given to season ticket holders)

From soxfest I have those advertisement posters they were giving out autographed by Hawk and Jenks

Home Jersey: Konerko

Black "Big-Stick" Bat: Crede

White sox Batting Helmet: Dye (with WS MVP inscription)

Mini 2005 World Series Champs Helmet: Konerko

Vintage Logo ball: Minoso & Hemond on one ball (I am going to try to get somemore "Sox Legends" on that ball....

All of my autographs were obtained in person except Iguchi and Rowand

pczarapa
08-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Harry Chappas from when I was a kid, boooooooooo

ChiSoxFan7
08-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Jose Conseco and Billy Koch on a glove...

and in a side note i have a sox shirt signed by chris harris former bear...

i bet that'll be worth a ton someday....

oh and i almost ran over scotty pods in 05...doe?s that count

mccoydp
08-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Here's what I have:

Robin Ventura: from my first Sox game in August 1992. He signed my Sox pennant which I rolled through the chain-link fence in Comiskey's parking lot.

Jack McDowell: autographed batting helmet and rookie card

Frank Thomas: autographed rookie card and 2005 World Series baseball

Paul Konerko: autographed minor league rookie card

Mark Buehrle: autographed baseball

Assorted signatures on the above-mentioned pennant: Brandon McCarthy, Brian Anderson (x2), Greg Norton, Juan Uribe, Darrin Jackson, Chris Singleton, Danny Richar, Jerry Owens.

I have most of the Charlotte Knights from the 2005-2007 teams.

I don't have a lot of autographs because I don't get to see the Sox too often.

TDog
08-14-2008, 09:41 PM
... I have tried to get one from my favorite player Harold Baines but he never does.

You can sometimes find Sox players' autographs, including Harold Baines', on eBay for reasonable prices, but you need to be careful and check out the story of the person selling each item because there are forgeries out there. And the dealers tend to have markups.

I know that buying an autograph isn't the same as having a player sign it in your presence, though.

Vienna
08-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Both procured for me via my dad. Tommy John's on a brown bag at an Osco's in Rockford. He was standing in line behind us in the checkout lane. I was too young to know what was going on.

The other is Ozzie's on a baseball from spring training in '85. I wasn't there by my brother and dad brought it as a consolation gift I guess.

I did have beer with Robin Ventura and Jack McDowell in '93 in Minneapolis. We talked guitar stuff -- I should have asked for the autograph but didn't.

MarySwiss
08-15-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm not much for autographs, but I was happy to get my "Believe It!" book signed by Paulie, Pods, and Crede at Spring Training in 2006.

chisoxfanatic
08-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Mike MacDougal
Don Cooper
Man Soo Lee
Jon Garland
Ray Durham
Carlos Lee
Jermaine Dye

IlliniSox4Life
08-15-2008, 01:28 AM
I have a ball with about 15 different members of the Sox organization on it. Thome, Crede, Swisher, Alexei, BA, Quentin, Danks, Floyd, Harold Baines, Jeff Cox, Don Cooper, Ed Farmer, and some others that aren't coming to mind immediately.

I have a small black bat signed by Swisher and BA.

I have a few old old pictures signed by guys that I bought off ebay. I don't have any idea who the guys are, but they looked cool and were cheap, so I picked em up. I'm going to look up more on them one of these days.

Also, I have 2 8x10s signed by Baines.

CMPDragRacing
08-15-2008, 01:28 AM
pinstripe jersey signed by james baldwin, paul konerko, keith Foulke, Scott Eyre, McKay Christensen.

BainesHOF
08-15-2008, 01:35 AM
Baines is very fan-friendly. You should be able to get him at appropriate times with little trouble.

salty99
08-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Baines is very fan-friendly. You should be able to get him at appropriate times with little trouble.

shoot too bad I didn't read this earlier...Baines was at the US Cellular store on LasSalle st. this past Tuesday

Woofer
08-15-2008, 09:30 AM
This is an interesting thread. Until I started thinking about it, I didn't really consider myself an autograph collector. As I double checked my collection, I guess I have quite a few autographs. I guess I am an autograph collector.

Autographed balls I've bought:
Frank Thomas
Carlton Fisk

Autographed balls from Soxfests:
Paul Konerko
Jerry Manuel
Jack McDowell- from Joliet Menards opening
Bill Melton
Moose Skowron
Minnie Minoso

Autographed World Series balls:
Jon Garland
Cliff Politte
Neal Cotts

Autographs on an original Comiskey Park seat slat:
Ron Kittle
Bill Melton
Harold Baines
Richard Dotson
Minnie Minoso
Billy Pierce
Moose Skowron
Bucky Dent

Authentic Autographs on baseball cards:
Mark Buehrle
Konerko
A.J Pierzynski
Shingo
Rowand
Jermaine Dye
Luis Aparicio
Harold
Scott Podsednik
Joe Crede
Frank Thomas

I probably have a few more in boxes, I haven't gone through them in a while.

nccwsfan
08-15-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm not big as big on autographs as I used to be, but I have kept old autographs that were collected in the 80's.

Harold Baines
Ozzie Guillen
Carlton Fisk
Ron Kittle
Tom Paciorek
Scott Fletcher
Mike Squires
Lorenzo Gray (83' White Sox)
Mark Ryal (85' White Sox)

The only current player I'd like to get an autograph from is Jermaine Dye- for those in the know is he an easy or difficult autograph to get?

BigP50
08-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Not sure

The easiest autographs to get are from the pitchers. There all just in the bullpen sitting there.

chaotic8512
08-15-2008, 02:27 PM
This thread just puts my "collection" to shame...

3 baseballs:
1) Signed by Frank Thomas, Ozzie, Harold Baines, Roberto Hernandez, Ron Karkovice, Tony Phillips, Lyle Mouton, Ron Jackson, and a few others I can't remember (ST, 1995)

2) Signed by John Danks in silver Sharpie (July 2007)

3) Signed by Boone Logan, Ehren Wasserman, Nick Masset, Toby Hall, and Don Cooper. Man, talk about an ill-fated ball... two of them demoted, and one traded. (June 2008)

cali2005.
08-15-2008, 02:34 PM
I have 1 ball signed by ozzie an Dye

I am going to try to get griffey jr. and TCQ this weekend

Save McCuddy's
08-15-2008, 03:37 PM
In reverse order of acquisition:

Don Cooper -- signed photo
Crede -- Signed photo 2005 WS CHAMPS
Entire 2005 team on an Ozzie away jersey
Thomas -- ballpoint on Warsteiner coaster from Butch McGuire's
Kittle -- Signed my old license plates
Ball signed by entire '59 team
Sox visor by Lamarr Johnson
poster signed by Lerrin LaGrow, Randy Scarberry and Stoney

Save McCuddy's
08-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Almost forgot my most prized possession -- Bill Veeck signed a Sox rain slicker with 7Up and Chicken Unlimited sponsorship for me in the basement of Holy Charity Church in '76.

salty99
08-15-2008, 04:01 PM

good luck with that

btrain929
08-15-2008, 04:27 PM
good luck with that

LOL my thoughts exactly.

BadBobbyJenks
08-15-2008, 04:28 PM
I always had the best luck outside of Wrigley during the Crosstown Classic when I was younger. My favorite is the Frank Thomas I got waiting next to his Mercedes.

tick53
08-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Bill Melton, Billy Pierce, Carlos May, Minnie Minoso, Ray Durham and Ron Kittle.

MCHSoxFan
08-16-2008, 11:18 AM
WOW! I have ton: Paulie, Thomas, AJ (4 times!!! Once on a WS05 game-used ball), Iguchi, Pods, Garcia, Borchard, Crede, Ozzie, Baines, Melton, Kittle, Garland, Buhrle, Dye, Thome, Owens, Fields, Danks, the enitre pen (Minues Ramirez) (Jenks on a GM 1 WS05 ball), Cooper, Man-Soo Lee (:D:), Rowand, Ozuna, Carlos Lee, Maggs (Like 7 times), Valentine, Uribe, Widger, Hall, Burke. Man, I got a lot! More than this. Cannot remember all right now, though.

MORE: Minnie.

Trying to get: CQ, Grff Jr., and Alexei. I can prob get em from my clubhouse guys cause these guys are gonna be real tough and I am too old for Kids days.

Brian26
08-16-2008, 11:32 AM

good luck with that

LOL my thoughts exactly.

Griffey has a private signing coming up with Upper Deck Company. I saw some of the prices for that, and they're insane. Something like $275 to sign a ball or photo. If it's a piece of game-used merchandise or jesey, it's even more.

btrain929
08-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Griffey has a private signing coming up with Upper Deck Company. I saw some of the prices for that, and they're insane. Something like $275 to sign a ball or photo. If it's a piece of game-used merchandise or jesey, it's even more.

Yeah I saw that too. I was just referring to in person autographs, Griffey and Quentin are just out of the question, period.

BigP50
08-17-2008, 12:07 PM
http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p357/BigP50/th_DSCN00841.jpgJosh Field, Jon Garland, Harold Baines

http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p357/BigP50/th_DSCN00851.jpg David Aardsma, Josh Fields, Jerry Owens

http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p357/BigP50/th_DSCN00861.jpg Paul Konerko

http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p357/BigP50/th_DSCN00871.jpg Ron Kittle

http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p357/BigP50/th_DSCN00881.jpg Bill Melton

btrain929
08-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Usually I keep these autograph session gems to myself, but since I might not be able to make it cuz of work, or won't get there til the last half hour or so, I figured I'd share with my fellow WSI'ers who don't know about it already:

What: Autograph session with Alexei Ramirez
When: Wednesday Aug 20th 6-730pm
Where: Bergie's Sports Card Dugout 474 Central Ave in Highland Park
Prices: $29 on your ball or flat, $39 on your bat or jersey. They'll also have balls, bats, 8x10s, etc available for purchase.

soxfanreggie
08-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Someone was trying to tell me that he felt sorry for some of our studs "only making a few hundred grand" when others were making millions, but he didn't feel as bad when I pointed out the thousands and thousands of dollars and maybe hundreds of thousands they get for personal appearances, autograph outings, being on radio shows, and for being spokesmen for products.

btrain929
08-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Someone was trying to tell me that he felt sorry for some of our studs "only making a few hundred grand" when others were making millions, but he didn't feel as bad when I pointed out the thousands and thousands of dollars and maybe hundreds of thousands they get for personal appearances, autograph outings, being on radio shows, and for being spokesmen for products.

I don't know how much they make from things like that, but bottom line is they are putting in their time now and will have numerous paydays in the near future. Danks and Quentin will have bigger paydays via arbitration or contract extension. Jenks is due to go from around 800,000 to somewhere around 4-6 million cuz of arbitration.

Bottom line, if they keep performing, their day will come.

BigP50
08-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Usually I keep these autograph session gems to myself, but since I might not be able to make it cuz of work, or won't get there til the last half hour or so, I figured I'd share with my fellow WSI'ers who don't know about it already:

Prices: $29 on your ball or flat, $39 on your bat or jersey. They'll also have balls, bats, 8x10s, etc available for purchase.

so u can't get anything signed for free?

btrain929
08-17-2008, 01:07 PM
so u can't get anything signed for free?

Uhhhhh, no.

BigP50
08-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Uhhhhh, no.

That's stupid, I would never pay to get an autograph

MikeW
08-17-2008, 07:32 PM
I have a signature of just about every Sox player from 1950 to 1977. I started collecting back in the early 1970's and only lack about 25 from that time period. The toughest ones that I don't have are Ray Moore,Norm Cash,Hector Rodriguez,Don Rudolph,Stover McIlwain,Joe Hicks and Saul Rogovin to name a few. Most of my autographs are on pictures,cards and baseballs. My favorite ones are Nellie Fox,Sherm Lollar,Dick Allen,Ray Schalk,Red Faber,Ted Lyons and Charley Robertson.

skottyj242
08-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Alexi is signing Wednesday night in Highland Park. I think it's 30 bucks. I am going to try and go and get him to sign my jersey.

btrain929
08-18-2008, 09:43 AM

Alexi is signing Wednesday night in Highland Park. I think it's 30 bucks. I am going to try and go and get him to sign my jersey.

For anyone else who missed my post....

skottyj242
08-18-2008, 10:07 AM
For anyone else who missed my post....

Sorry.

btrain929
08-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Sorry.

No problem. Wasn't trying to be a jackass or anything, just reposted it for people who missed my original post of it.

Hopefully I can get there in time after work. I'd want to ask him to personalize it to me, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to write my name on a piece of paper because if I ask him "can you personalize this to Rick?" he'll just look at me and smile and sign his name.

Also, I hope there will be a few more of these at the end of August/into September. Not many of the big names has gone out and down this that much this year. Teams like the Cubs and Twins (thru my research) are signing their asses off for the public even though they are in playoff races.

DubSox
08-18-2008, 11:41 AM
On Balls I have Frank, Mags, Albert Belle, Bobby Jenks, Brandon McCarthy, El Duque, and Griffey.

My non-Sox collection is a lot more impressive
McGwire
Chipper
Ozzie Smith
Bagwell
Biggio
Delgado
and MANY more....

I love living in FL for Spring Training....

BigP50
08-18-2008, 11:48 AM
On Balls I have Frank, Mags, Albert Belle, Bobby Jenks, Brandon McCarthy, El Duque, and Griffey.

My non-Sox collection is a lot more impressive
McGwire
Chipper
Ozzie Smith
Bagwell
Biggio
Delgado
and MANY more....

I love living in FL for Spring Training....

is it really easy to get an autograph at spring training?

btrain929
08-18-2008, 11:52 AM

It's never EASY to get an autograph, but considering its extremely hard to get an autograph at games during the season, its easIER. They are more loose before/after games.

DubSox
08-18-2008, 12:13 PM

I never had trouble. In Kissimmee (Where the Astros train) the clubhouses are in the OF corners, so they have to walk past the left and right field walls 3-4 times pre-game and post game, so they are easy to catch there.

Lakeland (Detroit's field) is another easy one, but the visiting team is hit or miss there.

All in all I have only been shut out at a few games, a Red Sox-Reds game in 03 and a Yankees-Tigers game in 05. (Jeter was 3 feet away from me and wouldn't come to the wall to sign, douche bag)

I have a ton a signed cards by lower level players, and I know my baseball collection is bigger, but I am drawing a mind blank right now...

TDog
08-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah I saw that too. I was just referring to in person autographs, Griffey and Quentin are just out of the question, period.

Sunday in Oakland, Carlos Quentin went from batting practice with some non-uniformed people through the Sox dugout. Kids were shouting for his autograph. He took the time to sign one. Everyone was shouting for Griffey's autograph. He ignored everyone, as you would expect.

The guy who signed the most for fans Sunday,not surprisingly, was Getz. Pierzynski signed a couple of autographs, and a few fans in A's jerseys were heckling him as he did so.

btrain929
08-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Sunday in Oakland, Carlos Quentin went from batting practice with some non-uniformed people through the Sox dugout. Kids were shouting for his autograph. He took the time to sign one. Everyone was shouting for Griffey's autograph. He ignored everyone, as you would expect.

The guy who signed the most for fans Sunday,not surprisingly, was Getz. Pierzynski signed a couple of autographs, and a few fans in A's jerseys were heckling him as he did so.

Who signs 1 autograph? Besides that 1 kid having a great story to tell, everyone else is like "you bastard!" lol. Oh well, that's how he is, and it probably won't change. I'm still kicking myself for not getting his auto at Soxfest, but nobody he'd be this big. Hopefully, as the face of the franchise, he will be at Soxfest year in and year out.

I want to try and get Getz' autograph tomorrow if he isn't starting. I see some players in the dugout face the crowd behind their dugout and sign stuff b4 the game if they aren't in the starting lineup.

TDog
08-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Who signs 1 autograph? Besides that 1 kid having a great story to tell, everyone else is like "you bastard!" lol. Oh well, that's how he is, and it probably won't change.

I want to try and get Getz' autograph tomorrow if he isn't starting. I see some players in the dugout face the crowd behind their dugout and sign stuff b4 the game if they aren't in the starting lineup.

I have no idea why a player would sign just one autograph. Maybe there was something compelling in the face of the kid he signed it for. Maybe he had promised the kid at earlier he would sign when he was through hitting before he was stuck with a media commitment. Right after Magglio Ordonez was moved to the cleanup spot in the Sox lineup, he was being interviewed on camera after batting practice in Anaheim. After he was jogging back to the dugout, a kid got his attention. He signed the underside of the bill of kid's Sox cap and went into the dugout. Then the kid asked his father who had just signed his cap.

Just before the 1994 strike in Anaheim, Alex Fernandez was warming up in the outfiled on a day he wasn't starting. A young couple with a baby oblivious to the fact that he was wearing a little White Sox costume were shouting at Fernandez to sign the baby's cloth ball. He told them not to go anywhere. When he was throw throwing, he not only gave the couple the ball he was throwing and signed it, but held the baby for for a picture. He didn't sign for anyone else.

In San Francisco this year, I saw Ozzie Guillen sign for one man who said something to him in Spanish.

Players get accosted by people all the time for autographs and see them being sold in card stores and on the Internet. They know that a lot of professionals use kids to get their autographs for them. But most are not insensitive to how special it is for a kid (and even some adults) to get their autographs.

btrain929
08-18-2008, 02:19 PM
I have no idea why a player would sign just one autograph. Maybe there was something compelling in the face of the kid he signed it for. Maybe he had promised the kid at earlier he would sign when he was through hitting before he was stuck with a media commitment. Right after Magglio Ordonez was moved to the cleanup spot in the Sox lineup, he was being interviewed on camera after batting practice in Anaheim. After he was jogging back to the dugout, a kid got his attention. He signed the underside of the bill of kid's Sox cap and went into the dugout. Then the kid asked his father who had just signed his cap.

Just before the 1994 strike in Anaheim, Alex Fernandez was warming up in the outfiled on a day he wasn't starting. A young couple with a baby oblivious to the fact that he was wearing a little White Sox costume were shouting at Fernandez to sign the baby's cloth ball. He told them not to go anywhere. When he was throw throwing, he not only gave the couple the ball he was throwing and signed it, but held the baby for for a picture. He didn't sign for anyone else.

In San Francisco this year, I saw Ozzie Guillen sign for one man who said something to him in Spanish.

Players get accosted by people all the time for autographs and see them being sold in card stores and on the Internet. They know that a lot of professionals use kids to get their autographs for them. But most are not insensitive to how special it is for a kid (and even some adults) to get their autographs.

I notice that alot, with Guillen, Mags, and even Juan Nieves. I was trying to get his autograph by the bullpen along with some other people. We were all calling his name, and he was acting like he was busy. Then I said "firma, por favor" (firma = signature). He looked up and saw me and gladly signed. Weird, but some people are like that. Oh well, glad I have 6 years of high school/college spanish under my belt :D:

UofCSoxFan
08-18-2008, 02:47 PM
I hate it when people think that players are obligated to sign autographs. It takes time, some people will always be upset they were overlooked, and a lot of people will quickly turn around and sell it on ebay.

I remember watching the Dan Patrick show at the All Star Fan Fest in 2003 and in between commercial breaks, people were being pretty rude to him asking for autographs. He finally got to me and when I told him thank you afterwards, he said something to the effect, "You're the first person that said thank you."

This sense of entitlement by many just irritates me. I'd like to say that if I played pro ball I'd sign a ton, but guys like Jeter or Griffey would be there all day. They are there to play baseball. Anything they do above that should be seen as a bonus, not fufillment of an obligation. This doesn't make them "D-bags."

BigP50
08-18-2008, 02:52 PM
They shoul dsin as many as they can.

These players makin' MILLIONS of dollars cause we pay to go to the game, Every player should sign autographs

Frontman
08-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Just two here. A Paul Konerko signed ball (which I will still cherish for the rest of my life, no matter how bad he has been stinking this year. The guy hit a slam in the Series) and a picture of the pitcher, Mark Buehrle throwing his first pitch in game 2.

WHITE SOX PRIDE!
08-18-2008, 08:59 PM
My Sox hat is autographed by Ozzie Guillen and Harold Baines. I met both of them on the feild before a game. That same game my grandma caught a joe crede foul ball. She didnt get a chance to get it signed by him at the game but during spring training, she met him in arizona and got it signed.

BigP50
08-18-2008, 09:08 PM
My Sox hat is autographed by Ozzie Guillen and Harold Baines. I met both of them on the feild before a game. That same game my grandma caught a joe crede foul ball. She didnt get a chance to get it signed by him at the game but during spring training, she met him in arizona and got it signed.

how did u get on the field

Vienna
08-19-2008, 02:08 PM
I should have added this to my earlier comment. My dad has some cool stuff from the '59 Sox. He was 11 at the time and sent letters to most of, if not all, of the team, requesting their autograph. He sent each one a typed letter -- before the days of mail merge and word processing. Some signed the letter he sent, some sent autographed pictures. He had a group of them framed -- I remember Nellie Fox, Luis Aparicio, Early Wynn, and Sherm Lollar (I was a catcher in little league, so I suppose that's why I remember Sherm). Anyways, it's cool to see it. The next time I'm in Rockford, I should get a photo of it and post it to WSI.

leprchn36
08-21-2008, 02:15 PM
I've got Harold Baines, Ron Kittle, Eric Soderholm and Greg Walker on individual baseballs, and on a 2005 World Series ball I've collected (so far)
signatures from Joe Crede, Ozzie Guillen and Brian Anderson.

Jason82807
08-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Ron Kittle, Carlos May, Bill Melton, Moose Skowron, Minnie Minoso and Dan Pasqua.

btrain929
08-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Who went yesterday to get Alexei's auto in Highland Park? I went, and at least the time I was there, it was a very small turnout.

Desert Rat
08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
I have a ball with a lot of the mid-late 70's guys, Melton, Ken Henderson, Wilbur Wood, Pat Kelly, Terry Forster, even Chuck Tanner. Back in the day when you stood next to the dugout and they walked right up to you. One of my prized possessions. Got Uribe and Garland on a WS commerative ball in Anaheim during our 1st trip there as champs. My nephew is now a new Swish fan after kids day last week. Said he was great with everyone.
He got his autograph and a nice photo with him.

gaelhound
08-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Tom Seaver on a ball
Pat Kelly on a ball
Ed Herrrman and Chuck Tanner on a $5 dollar bill
Bill Sharp on a $1 dollar bill
I was reluctant to post this, you know I hate it when the HoF badgers me for a loan of these treasures!

MrT27
08-21-2008, 08:58 PM
I have these guys on different things. I used to mail out cards and other things for players to sign. I have no idea why I have autographs of some of these guys

Thomas, Buehrle, Contreras, Roberto Alomar, Sandy Almoar, Danny Wright, Garland, Bartolo Colon, Jamie Burke, Miguel Olivo, Willi eHarris, D'Angelo Jimenez, Esteban Loaiza, Konerko, Ben Davis, Moose Skrown, Minnie Minoso, Dan Pasqua, Neil Cotts, Tony LaRussa, Charlie Hough, Rowand, Mike Sirotka, Bill Melton, Carlos Lee, Ed Farmer, Kenny Williams, Hawk, John Kruk, Wilson Alverez, Jon Rauch, Jerry Manuel, Roberto Hernandez, Keith Foulke, Kon Kittle, bobby Jenks, Ellis Burks, Jack mcdowell, Billy Koch, Steve Stone, Jose Valentin, Rick White, Jeremy Reed, Kelly Dransfeldt, Pods, Tony Graffanino, Jamie Navarro, Josh Paul, Kelly Wunsch, Ron Karkovice, Kip Wells, Cliff Politte, Crede, Josh Stewart, Baines, Thome, Jordan, David Sanders, Ozzie, Greg Walker, Billy Pierce, Darrin Jackson, Kevin Hickey, Jason Bere, Brandon McCarthy

BigP50
08-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Oh yea I forgot I have a T-Shirt signed by Keith Foulke

salty99
08-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Who went yesterday to get Alexei's auto in Highland Park? I went, and at least the time I was there, it was a very small turnout.

I was thinking about it, but it's just too far for me.

JUribe1989
08-21-2008, 11:29 PM
I used to consider myself somewhat of a White Sox autograph connoisseur

-Frank Thomas
-Paul Konerko
-Jamie Burke
-AJ Pierzynski
-Joe Crede
-Jermaine Dye
-Mark Buehrle
-Jon Garland
-Josh Fields
-Jon Adkins
-Dustin Hermanson
-Ross Gload
-Ray Durham
-Jose Valentin
-Carlos Lee
-Chris Singleton
-Magglio Ordonez
-Jeff Abbott
-Greg Norton
-Tony Graffanino
-Harold Baines
-Kelly Wunsch
-Kenny Lofton
-Aaron Rowand
-Carl Everett
-Miguel Olivo
-Roberto Alomar
-Neal Cotts
-Cliff Politte
-Scott Podsednik
-Carlos May
-Moose Skowron
-Donn Pall
-Ed Farmer
-Hawk Harrelson
-Ron Kittle
-Jerry Reinsdorf
-Ozzie Guillen
-Kenny Williams
-Scott Linebrink
-Carlos Quentin
-Keith Foulke
-Jerry Manuel
-Greg Walker
-Josh Paul
-Kip Wells
-Minnie Minoso
-Esteban Loaiza
-Michael Jordan
-Tony LaRussa
-Bill Melton

credefan19
08-22-2008, 04:05 PM
frank thomas, and that's it :(:

btrain929
08-23-2008, 08:40 AM
For people looking to add to their 2005 autograph set, here's one for you, but it'll cost you a pretty penny:

Who: Chris Widger
Where: Steven's Collectibles in Countryside, IL on Joliet Rd.
When: Sept 20th 11am-1pm
What: He'll be signing autographs: $30 per :o::o::o:. Geoff Blum was $25 but at least he did something worth a damn.

I won't be going, but there are people who are collection '05 sets and might not have his, so here ya go.

btrain929
08-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Just a random question: has anyone ever had any success getting Joey Cora's auto? I never remember him signing at Soxfest, he didn't sign when I was down in Spring Training, he doesn't sign when you send him anything to the stadium, and I never see him at any appearances. I'm not mad about it (players and coaches can sign or not sign its their choice), just curious to see if anyone has ever had any luck running into him and getting an auto.

TheCommander
08-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Just a random question: has anyone ever had any success getting Joey Cora's auto? I never remember him signing at Soxfest, he didn't sign when I was down in Spring Training, he doesn't sign when you send him anything to the stadium, and I never see him at any appearances. I'm not mad about it (players and coaches can sign or not sign its their choice), just curious to see if anyone has ever had any luck running into him and getting an auto.

I have only been to SoxFest in 2004 and 2005,but he signed both times. In 2004 I recall him signing at a booth with Baines and Walker on Saturday and with Ozzie on Sunday. In 2005,him and Ozzie did an unscheduled signing in the Garage Sale and he also signed for me in passing. I can't remember if he had any scheduled signings that year.

Brian26
08-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Amazingly, Griffey signed today before the game as part of the Kids Day promotion.

BigP50
08-24-2008, 08:13 PM
ah man, I was there. I guess I was to late

fugazis
08-24-2008, 08:20 PM
At todays game, we got all on seperate MLB balls:
Griffey
Carasco
Floyd
Getz
Anderson
Swisher
Vasquez
Missile!

About a month ago we got the following:

Cabrera
Jenks
Thome
Crede
TCQ!
and Hall

Rdy2PlayBall
08-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Griffey
Carasco
Floyd
Getz
Anderson
Swisher
Vasquez
Missile!

Cabrera
Jenks
Thome
Crede
TCQ!
and HallHow did you get that close to all of them? @_@ When I go they are all in the middle of the field not by anyone! O_o

btrain929
08-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Griffey
Carasco
Floyd
Getz
Anderson
Swisher
Vasquez
Missile!

Cabrera
Jenks
Thome
Crede
TCQ!
and Hall

How does kids' day work at the 'Cell? Do you only have a shot at getting an auto if you have a little runt with you to give something to the player? Do they actually sign for the adults?

fugazis
08-25-2008, 06:45 AM
How did you get that close to all of them? @_@ When I go they are all in the middle of the field not by anyone! O_o

It was kids autograph day.

fugazis
08-25-2008, 07:02 AM
How does kids' day work at the 'Cell? Do you only have a shot at getting an auto if you have a little runt with you to give something to the player? Do they actually sign for the adults?

They open the gates at 11 so I get there about 10am and stand at one of the gates. About 10:30, they hand out copies of a list (you have to go near the ticket window) of what players are signing and what sections they are in. We have 2 kids, so the wife and I split up with the kids and go to whatever players we want auto's from. They put 2 players per section, so in each line we wait in, we get 2 autographs. When we finish in one line, we go to another line and hope they don't end the session until after we get through it. They only sign for about 30 minutes.

My son and I went and got Swish and Anderson while my wife and daughter went and got Carasco and Ramirez. They didn't have Griffeys name on the list they handed out, But while waiting for Swish to sign, my wife found out JR. was signing next to the Sox dugout and she took my daughter over there and she got his auto just before the session ended, while my son was the last one to get Getz and Floyd before the end.

btrain929
08-30-2008, 10:00 AM
They open the gates at 11 so I get there about 10am and stand at one of the gates. About 10:30, they hand out copies of a list (you have to go near the ticket window) of what players are signing and what sections they are in. We have 2 kids, so the wife and I split up with the kids and go to whatever players we want auto's from. They put 2 players per section, so in each line we wait in, we get 2 autographs. When we finish in one line, we go to another line and hope they don't end the session until after we get through it. They only sign for about 30 minutes.

My son and I went and got Swish and Anderson while my wife and daughter went and got Carasco and Ramirez. They didn't have Griffeys name on the list they handed out, But while waiting for Swish to sign, my wife found out JR. was signing next to the Sox dugout and she took my daughter over there and she got his auto just before the session ended, while my son was the last one to get Getz and Floyd before the end.

VERY nice! Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll bring one of those kids with the messed up teeth from Lot G with me for the next one, and tell him I'll donate to his basketball team if he gets me some auto's.

whitesox901
08-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Frank Thomas and Juan Uribe, and I have a ball signed by Ryan Sweeney back when he was in AAA Charlotte

btrain929
09-02-2008, 08:39 PM
For people looking to add to their 2005 autograph set, here's one for you, but it'll cost you a pretty penny:

Who: Chris Widger
Where: Steven's Collectibles in Countryside, IL on Joliet Rd.
When: Sept 20th 11am-1pm
What: He'll be signing autographs: $30 per :o::o::o:. Geoff Blum was $25 but at least he did something worth a damn.

I won't be going, but there are people who are collection '05 sets and might not have his, so here ya go.

Just an FYI to my fellow WSI'ers about another upcoming signing:

Who: John Danks
Where: The Dirty Sock 9300 S Roberts Rd in Hickory Hills, IL
When: Sunday Sept 7th from 5-7pm
Autos: $15 per item, no matter what the item is.

Good price to get the autograph of one of our young studs on the team. I already have his auto on a few cards, but I want to get his auto on an 8x10 photo, so I'll be there.

Lip Man 1
09-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Tony LaRussa
Ralph Garr
"Goose" Gossage
Hank Greenberg
Roland Hemond
Tommy John
Jack Lamabe
Paul Richards
"Cotton" Nash
Ken Brett
"Minnie" Minoso
Don Kessinger
Dick Tidrow
Bill Veeck
Royce Clayton
Darrin Jackson
Billy Pierce
Vance Law
J.C. Martin
Cory Snyder
Mike Andrews
Eric Soderholm
Jim Landis
Gary Peters
Donn Pall
Ron Kittle
Ed Herrmann
Jerry Koosman
Pete Ward
Ray Herbert
Scott Fletcher
Joe Horlen
Ken Berry
Wilbur Wood
Bob Shaw
Greg Pryor
Bart Johnson
Jim Kaat
Tom Paciorek
Ron Hansen
Chuck Tanner

Lip

Brian26
09-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Tony LaRussa
Ralph Garr
"Goose" Gossage
Hank Greenberg
Roland Hemond
Tommy John
Jack Lamabe
Paul Richards
"Cotton" Nash
Ken Brett
"Minnie" Minoso
Don Kessinger
Dick Tidrow
Bill Veeck
Royce Clayton
Darrin Jackson
Billy Pierce
Vance Law
J.C. Martin
Cory Snyder
Mike Andrews
Eric Soderholm
Jim Landis
Gary Peters
Donn Pall
Ron Kittle
Ed Herrmann
Jerry Koosman
Pete Ward
Ray Herbert
Scott Fletcher
Joe Horlen
Ken Berry
Wilbur Wood
Bob Shaw
Greg Pryor
Bart Johnson
Jim Kaat
Tom Paciorek
Ron Hansen
Chuck Tanner

Lip

:hitless
"I have no idea what I'm doing on this list either. Had to be a typo."

OldRomanPizza
09-03-2008, 12:24 AM
First autograph was Dave Gallagher. This was at Old Comiskey in 1990, I believe. My dad and I waited outside the player's parking lot with nothing but a scorecard and pen from the game. I was, of course, hoping for bigger names but Gallagher was extremely professional and took the time to talk with my dad and I. This was when the Sox were in the AL West and were trailing Oakland at the time. Dad wished him good luck and Gallagher went on his way, probably to sign more autographs. My dad then said "I don't think anyone else is going to come out", and that was that. With all fairness to Gallagher, I can't deny that day was a lesson in sometimes having to be happy with getting less than you really wanted. :tongue:

Through SoxFests, I have gotten the autographs of Frank Thomas, Albert Belle, some forgotten pitchers of the late 90s, and of Jerry Manuel. The one that makes me laugh the most is my Ruben Sierra autograph on one of those horrible Starter hats.

Ragator43
09-04-2008, 03:31 AM
Jermaine Dye is scheduled to make an appearance at the U.S. Cellular at 16925 Torrence Ave. in Lansing, IL today at 11. Don't have any other details about it but figured a JD appearance is worth mentioning.

btrain929
09-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Jermaine Dye is scheduled to make an appearance at the U.S. Cellular at 16925 Torrence Ave. in Lansing, IL today at 11. Don't have any other details about it but figured a JD appearance is worth mentioning.

Yeah, it wasn't too bad. The rain is the only thing that made it a hassle. It was 1 signature per person, but you could get in the back of the line again once you got 1st auto to get another if you wanted. I brought my cousin and sister and got his auto on a bat, an 8x10, and a baseball card. All for free = VERY nice :D:

Ragator43
09-04-2008, 02:28 PM
I was able to get his signature on a ball for one of my brothers and a poster for myself, but before I could get a picture signed for my other brother, one of the employees began announcing outside that he wouldn't sign for anyone that had already received a signature. I'm guessing the guy in the Bears sweatshirt with the red Nike bag STUFFED with baseballs who just had to situate everything in the bag while he was still in the store had something to do with the stricter enforcement. That guy and the old guys who walked in multiple bats and dollar signs in their eyes.

btrain929
09-04-2008, 02:30 PM
I was able to get his signature on a ball for one of my brothers and a poster for myself, but before I could get a picture signed for me other brother, one of the employees began announcing outside that he wouldn't sign for anyone that had already received a signature. I'm guessing the guy in the Bears sweatshirt with the red Nike bag STUFFED with baseballs who just had to situate everything in the bag while he was still in the store. That guy and the old guys who walked in multiple bats and dollar signs in their eyes.

Haha, seriously. Not too bad though, getting 2 signatures. It's bull that the store would pull that though when they clearly announced before it started that if you wanted another autograph, just go to the end of the line and you'll be able to. That's why I brought reinforcement bodies for my operation :D:. I was the one in the White White Sox hat and Ventura jersey. My cousin was being loud and obnoxious because he's a Cubs fan :angry:. I had to give him a Bo Jackson Royals jersey I didnt wear anymore to come and do this for me. Family, I tell ya....

Ragator43
09-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Two more than I had when I woke up this morning. Well, actually one more for me, but you get the picture.

Well organized appearance. The U.S. Cellular staff was more than prepared and accomodating to those who attended, regardless of if they were fans or just auto hounds.

btrain929
09-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Two more than I had when I woke up this morning. Well, actually one more for me, but you get the picture.

Well organized appearance. The U.S. Cellular staff was more than prepared and accomodating to those who attended, regardless of if they were fans or just auto hounds.

Yes. It was 20x better than the Swisher signing in Schaumburg a month or so ago. But that could be attributed to alot of things, like the locale (Schaumburg vs south south south side), weather (sunnday vs rain pouring), and day (Swisher's was on a Saturday).

wilburwood
09-04-2008, 03:59 PM
1961 team ball here With Al lopez

BainesHOF
09-04-2008, 06:11 PM
I was lucky enough to go through the line three times to have three different 2005 World Series photos signed: one of Dye homering in Game 1, one of him celebrating immediately after his Game 4 hit and one of him holding his MVP trophy. All will be displayed in Sox collection, a sizeable chunk which will tell the story of that great 2005 season.

However, the trend continued of Sox players aggressively trying to thwart repeat autograph seekers. Like Jenks at an auto dealer appearance earlier this summer, Dye started to refuse to sign again for people he recogizned had already been through the line.

Frankly, I don't get it.

I would understand if people obtaining multiples were preventing others from getting one signature, but that wasn't close to being the case with Jenks and Dye. On both occasions their line would have been empty with more than an hour left in the paid signing if not for people seeking more than one.

I totally get players not wanting professional autograph hounds to make money off them. However, in thwarting some of those hustlers, the players are also thwarting regular collectors and fans in their quest to get multiples for any number of legitimate reasons. I'm all for one to a customer, until there is nobody left in line and the athlete is sitting at a table by himself with nothing to do for more than an hour left in his paid signing appearance.

For one, I don't get how a player is even allowed to refuse to sign autographs at a paid appearance. The player chose to take money to sign autographs. Secondly, unless the player is a superstar, most players overvalue the worth of their autograph. They're simply not worth all that much, especially when you factor in the time and effort it takes to acquire them. Finally, why would a player who's making $10 million a season even care about what happens to autographs he signs at a paid appearance? That seems a little warped. A mother in front of me today said it cost her family of four $300 to attend a game this season. She was one of the people Dye cut off. She was just trying to get some cheap balls and a couple pennants signed for her kids, who were in school.

Some players like Dye and Crede play games when they do sign. With Dye, he goes out of his way to sign bats in bad spots, sometimes giving bad signatures on top of that. Trying to get him to sign a World Series ball nicely is often fruitless, too. Unlike all the other players, he drops his signature way below the logo. You say you'd like him to use a blue pen so it matches the others? Ha ha. He signs it in black just to spite you. I've been a season ticket holder for years, spending thousands of dollars along the way, but apparently that doesn't matter when it comes to making a simple request.

It probably sounds like I'm bitter. I'm not. Really. Dye is even one of my favorite players because of the effort he gives on the field. I just find it a bit sad that millionaires many times over have become so distrustful and antagonistic toward fans. The professional autograph hustlers bear a lot of responsibility for the current autograph climate, but ultimately the players shoulder most of the blame. If they dislike signing autographs to such an extent, then why agree to do a paid signing?

btrain929
09-04-2008, 06:46 PM
I was lucky enough to go through the line three times to have three different 2005 World Series photos signed: one of Dye homering in Game 1, one of him celebrating immediately after his Game 4 hit and one of him holding his MVP trophy. All will be displayed in Sox collection, a sizeable chunk which will tell the story of that great 2005 season.

However, the trend continued of Sox players aggressively trying to thwart repeat autograph seekers. Like Jenks at an auto dealer appearance earlier this summer, Dye started to refuse to sign again for people he recogizned had already been through the line.

Frankly, I don't get it.

I would understand if people obtaining multiples were preventing others from getting one signature, but that wasn't close to being the case with Jenks and Dye. On both occasions their line would have been empty with more than an hour left in the paid signing if not for people seeking more than one.

I totally get players not wanting professional autograph hounds to make money off them. However, in thwarting some of those hustlers, the players are also thwarting regular collectors and fans in their quest to get multiples for any number of legitimate reasons. I'm all for one to a customer, until there is nobody left in line and the athlete is sitting at a table by himself with nothing to do for more than an hour left in his paid signing appearance.

For one, I don't get how a player is even allowed to refuse to sign autographs at a paid appearance. The player chose to take money to sign autographs. Secondly, unless the player is a superstar, most players overvalue the worth of their autograph. They're simply not worth all that much, especially when you factor in the time and effort it takes to acquire them. Finally, why would a player who's making $10 million a season even care about what happens to autographs he signs at a paid appearance? That seems a little warped. A mother in front of me today said it cost her family of four $300 to attend a game this season. She was one of the people Dye cut off. She was just trying to get some cheap balls and a couple pennants signed for her kids, who were in school.

Some players like Dye and Crede play games when they do sign. With Dye, he goes out of his way to sign bats in bad spots, sometimes giving bad signatures on top of that. Trying to get him to sign a World Series ball nicely is often fruitless, too. Unlike all the other players, he drops his signature way below the logo. You say you'd like him to use a blue pen so it matches the others? Ha ha. He signs it in black just to spite you. I've been a season ticket holder for years, spending thousands of dollars along the way, but apparently that doesn't matter when it comes to making a simple request.

It probably sounds like I'm bitter. I'm not. Really. Dye is even one of my favorite players because of the effort he gives on the field. I just find it a bit sad that millionaires many times over have become so distrustful and antagonistic toward fans. The professional autograph hustlers bear a lot of responsibility for the current autograph climate, but ultimately the players shoulder most of the blame. If they dislike signing autographs to such an extent, then why agree to do a paid signing?

Standing ovation, and kudos. Couldn't agree more. Especially with the part about people who get autographs just to sell them. Most of the time, the players think this is going on, when it really isn't, for the point you mentioned. What is a ball, photo, or bat with JD's autograph going to get you? Ball/photo = $5? Bat $15-20? Like you said, when you factor in the gas, time, effort, time off of work, etc, they aren't banking/profiting from it. You agreed to the appearance, so what does it matter to you?

I consider myself a serious collector, but for my own personal White Sox collection, with no intentions of selling. It's gotten to the point where I'm afraid to ask Jermaine to inscribe a photo to my name or to write World Series '05 MVP on there, because of stories of them dismissing you like "how dare you ask me that" or "you're getting this for free, and now you want more" type of attitude.

But after all of that ranting, I did enjoy myself at the signing today lol.

Ragator43
09-04-2008, 08:49 PM
BT, JD did the WS MVP upon request and there wasn't any hesitation on his part to inscribe when asked.

He signed my WS ball, but like Baines said, he signed it so that there was a gap between the logo and his name. Almost on the side of the sweet spot, but perpendicular to it. Doesn't bother me at all, considering it's just going to be sitting in a case with all of the others from the 05 team. It'll just look slightly out of place considering all of the others are signed just below the WS05 logo or on the sweet spot.

hose
09-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Luke Appling and Donn Pall

salty99
09-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Swisher is doing another signing this Sat. in Lombard

joshua1024
09-05-2008, 08:27 AM
I'm not much of a collector, but I treasure the ones I have:

PETE WARD -- LUIS APARICIO -- GARY PETERS -- AND WALT (NO NECK) WILLIAMS -- who all were signatories on my first baseman's glove in 1969, when I attended the great CHICAGO WHITE SOX BOYS CAMP (anyone else remember that place?)

JOSH PAUL -- who signed a ball for me in 2003, before the infamous game against the Kansas City Royals where the umpire got tackled on the field by a rowdy idiot.

OZZIE -- TADAHITO IGUCHI -- AND JUAN URIBE -- who all signed one or another piece of memorabilia I purchased in 2005, when my life changed forever.

Go Sox!

BigP50
09-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Where is the Swisher Signing?

roylestillman
09-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Just got Greg Luzinski's in Philly last week. He sits in this odd little booth at his BBQ stand in the outfield signing autographs.

Only others I have are Fisk, Seaver, Ozzie and Chuck Comiskey on a program from the last Opening Day at the old park.

Sox4ever77
09-06-2008, 12:38 AM
I have all the White Sox SI's, starting with Dick Allen, signed.

Brian26
09-06-2008, 08:30 AM
JOSH PAUL -- who signed a ball for me in 2003, before the infamous game against the Kansas City Royals where the umpire got tackled on the field by a rowdy idiot.

The Ligue incident was in Sept of '02.