PDA

View Full Version : Best Players 2 from each team ever

PennStater98r
08-13-2008, 03:52 PM
The rules are you can not use a player more than once on the list. Each player named can only be used for one team and one team only. Have fun picking 2 for each franchise!

Who have I missed - who would you replace? Who just flat-out doesn't deserve to be here?

Baltimore
Cal Ripken Jr.
Jim Palmer

Boston
Ted Williams
Cy Young

Yankees
Babe Ruth
Lou Gehrig

Tampa Bay
Carl Crawford
Scott Kazmir

Toronto
Fred McGriff
Carlos Delgado

White Sox
Frank Thomas
Ed Walsh

Cleveland
Bob Feller
Manny Ramirez

Detroit
Hank Greenberg
Ty Cobb

Kansas City
George Brett
Dan Quisenberry

Minnesota
Walter Johnson
Rod Carew

Angels
Garret Anderson
Francisco Rodriguez

Oakland
Dennis Eckersley
Reggie Jackson

Seattle
Ken Griffey Jr.
Edgar Martinez

Texas
Nolan Ryan
Ivan Rodriguez

Atlanta
Hank Aaron
Greg Maddux

Florida
Miguel Cabrera
Hanley Ramirez

Mets
Tom Seaver
Mike Piazza

Philadelphia
Mike Schmidt
Steve Carlton

Washington (Montreal)
Vladimir Guererro
Gary Carter

Cubs
Ernie Banks
Cap Anson

Cincinnati
Pete Rose
Johnny Bench

Houston
Craig Biggio
Jeff Bagwell

Milwaukee
Robin Yount
Paul Molitor

Pittsburgh
Honus Wagner
Roberto Clemente

St. Louis
Stan Musial
Lou Brock

Arizona
Randy Johnson
Luis Gonzalez

Colorado
Todd Helton
Larry Walker

Dodgers
Sandy Koufax
Jackie Robinson

San Fransisco
Willie Mays
Christy Matthewson

San Diego
Tony Gwynn
Trevor Hoffman

Travel Team (played for everyone)
Gaylord Perry
Rickey Henderson

hi im skot
08-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Manny Ramirez on Cleveland?

Seriously?

Mr.1Dog
08-13-2008, 03:58 PM

Seriously?

I was going to say the same thing.:scratch:

hi im skot
08-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Garrett Anderson?

I dunno, there are some slam dunk picks...but, yeah, I dunno.

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 04:02 PM
I would put Rickey Henderson on the Oakland list over Eck.

Also Drysdale over Koufax

Appling for the Sox

LITTLE NELL
08-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Luke Appling over Ed Walsh.

hi im skot
08-13-2008, 04:05 PM
I hate lists.

PennStater98r
08-13-2008, 04:19 PM

Seriously?

When you look at the age of Manny combined with what he's already accomplished, I wanted to get him somewhere, and he has played about the same amount of games in Cleveland as he did Boston.

There were a couple of other guys to consider from Cleveland - Nap Lajoie was one. George Sisler was another, but at the end of the day, I didn't think they had the impact that Manny has had at the plate.

It should also be noted that I refused to put guys like Bonds, Clemens and other steroid guys on the list.

PennStater98r
08-13-2008, 04:21 PM
I would put Rickey Henderson on the Oakland list over Eck.

Also Drysdale over Koufax

Appling for the Sox

I also kicked around Collins for the Sox, but Walsh's WHIP and ERA are in the top 2 lifetime - he was about as dominant as it came in the early era of baseball.

I didn't put Henderson on Oakland because he made the Nomad Team. He played for Boston, Yanks, Oakland, Toronto, San Diego, the Mets, etc etc.

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 04:22 PM
When you look at the age of Manny combined with what he's already accomplished, I wanted to get him somewhere, and he has played the same amount of games in Cleveland as he did Boston.

There were a couple of other guys to consider from Cleveland - Nap Lajoie was one. George Sisler was another, but at the end of the day, I didn't think they had the impact that Manny has had at the plate.

It should also be noted that I refused to put guys like Bonds, Clemens and other steroid guys on the list.

I have heard Bagwell was on steroids and he was on your list...

PennStater98r
I hate lists.

Don't Hate!

Lists are just for fun and a good way to promote debate and discussion - that's all this is - hater!

:wink:

hi im skot
I didn't put Henderson on Oakland because he made the Nomad Team. He played for Boston, Yanks, Oakland, Toronto, San Diego, the Mets, etc etc.

Henderson will always be remembered for his contributions for Oakland. Much like Ramirez is known for winning championships with Boston.

Thome gets the nod over Ramirez.

PennStater98r
08-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Garrett Anderson?

I dunno, there are some slam dunk picks...but, yeah, I dunno.

Who else can you get from the Angels that had dominating careers/great numbers while in L.A?

PennStater98r
08-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Henderson will always be remembered for his contributions for Oakland. Much like Ramirez is known for winning championships with Boston.

Thome gets the nod over Ramirez.

I can go with that! I looked long and hard at Thome, but I though that what many has done through age 36 was much more signicant than what Thome has done through age 39. I couldn't put Manny with Boston - Ted Williams, Yaz, Cy Young all go above Manny being Manny.

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 04:32 PM
It's close but I would have put Saberhagen on the KC list over Quisenberry

hi im skot
08-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Who else can you get from the Angels that had dominating careers/great numbers while in L.A?

Fair enough. Tim Salmon is comparable, but Anderson has him beat in most of the big stat categories.

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 04:37 PM
how could you make a list and not have A Rod on it..

PennStater98r
08-13-2008, 04:47 PM
how could you make a list and not have A Rod on it..

That, my friend, is a good question! He's A-Rod. Isn't that enough a reason? :wink:

Seriously - he could be the best player ever.

Here's how he didn't make it. He's not going to replace Ruth or Gehrig. Just no way it happens.

I could have put him in Texas, but I didn't think he spent enough time there. I feel good about I-Rod and Ryan in Texas though

Seattle is the only other spot he can go - Griffey stays imo. So, we could have him replace 'gar. That'd be the only spot I feel good about putting him in - but I suppose I was giving 'gar some respect.

I guess the last spot could be the Nomads - and remove Gaylord Perry (but I created the nomads group just because of Perry for a fun laugh).

A-Rod was the toughest/strangest player for me to work with using the rules that I established.

hellview
08-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Tim Salmon should be #1 for the Angels.

PennStater98r
08-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Tim Salmon should be #1 for the Angels.

Trust me - I looked at Salmon's consistancy - and I respectfully disagree (as opposed to disrespectfully). :wink:

Zisk77
08-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Angels:

Nolan Ryan (did more in L.a. than Texas.)
Don Baylor
Bobby Grich
Chuck Finley
Brian Downing

Take your Pick.

goofymsfan
08-13-2008, 05:03 PM
That, my friend, is a good question! He's A-Rod. Isn't that enough a reason? :wink:

Seriously - he could be the best player ever.

Here's how he didn't make it. He's not going to replace Ruth or Gehrig. Just no way it happens.

I could have put him in Texas, but I didn't think he spent enough time there. I feel good about I-Rod and Ryan in Texas though

Seattle is the only other spot he can go - Griffey stays imo. So, we could have him replace 'gar. That'd be the only spot I feel good about putting him in - but I suppose I was giving 'gar some respect.

I guess the last spot could be the Nomads - and remove Gaylord Perry (but I created the nomads group just because of Perry for a fun laugh).

A-Rod was the toughest/strangest player for me to work with using the rules that I established.

Keep it Griffey and Gar for the M's, we don't much care for Pay-rod in these parts.

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Keep it Griffey and Gar for the M's, we don't much care for Pay-rod in these parts.

I bet if the Sox made a trade for A Rod tomorrow, you will be praising KW for getting one of the best players of all time to the south side

PennStater98r
08-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Angels:

Don Baylor
Bobby Grich
Chuck Finley
Brian Downing

Take your Pick.

Forgot about Finley - didn't even look at him. I did look at Ryan - but I decided to go with Texas - as he had enough accomplishments in Texas to be the best pitcher to come through Texas. I was not impressed with Baylor's numbers short of a 2-3 year span and Grich is a good call, but I think Garret was far more consistant and had more impressive numbers. Again with Downing, I don't think his numbers were as good as Anderson's. Anderson is sitting at 2300 hits right now with a .296 Avg and put up numbers that compare to Downing's peak (1984-1987) from 2000 to 2003.

Quite honestly, I think only Ryan has a shot on this list but I chose to put him on Texas instead. :)

PennStater98r
08-13-2008, 05:12 PM
I bet if the Sox made a trade for A Rod tomorrow, you will be praising KW for getting one of the best players of all time to the south side

I would! I really do think A-Rod is one of the greats. However, my logic above is why he didn't make the list here - like I said, 'gar is the guy that he would replace imo.

goofymsfan
08-13-2008, 05:15 PM

You apparently don't know what the Ms in my name stands for, I'm a Mariners fan. As for KW making a trade for Pay-rod, don't see him leaving the Bronx. He is a very selfish player and if you haven't noticed, the teams he's been on haven't done anything in the post season.

PennStater98r
08-13-2008, 05:20 PM
You apparently don't know what the Ms in my name stands for, I'm a Mariners fan. As for KW making a trade for Pay-rod, don't see him leaving the Bronx. He is a very selfish player and if you haven't noticed, the teams he's been on haven't done anything in the post season.

What!?!? Who let this fan of another team on our board!? :wink:

goofymsfan
08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
What!?!? Who let this fan of another team on our board!? :wink:

I never said I didn't like the Sox, it's just that I'm an M's fan first. I originally came here when Scott Podsednik was traded here from Milwaukee. He's been my favorite player since he was with the Tacoma Rainiers in 2001 and I've followed him ever since. Plus the Sox also have Matt Thornton who I keep an eye on as a former Rainier. I know Scotty was released and signed with the Rockies and I still keep an eye on him, but I've always felt welcome here and there is a great deal of good discussions here so I've just never left. :redface: Heck if you can tolerate a BoSox person, you should be able to handle a lowly M's fan. :wink:

wulfy
08-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Angels:

Don Baylor
Bobby Grich
Chuck Finley
Brian Downing

Take your Pick.

How about Rod Carew (http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/carewro01.shtml)?

Played more of his time as a Twin, but in my mind, he was always an Angel.

seventyseven
08-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Roberto Alomar ahead of Delgado or McGriff on Toronto.

A-Rod has to be in there somewhere.

Bob Gibson or Albert Pujols instead of Lou Brock.

Hard to argue with much of the rest -- good job.

PennStater98r
08-13-2008, 06:12 PM
How about Rod Carew (http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/carewro01.shtml)?

Played more of his time as a Twin, but in my mind, he was always an Angel.

I put Carew in Minnesota. His numbers actually weren't nearly as impressive as they were in Minnesota.

PennStater98r
08-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Roberto Alomar ahead of Delgado or McGriff on Toronto.

A-Rod has to be in there somewhere.

Bob Gibson or Albert Pujols instead of Lou Brock.

Hard to argue with much of the rest -- good job.

See my previous post on A-Rod... hard name to find a spot for imo. Alomar is probably ahead of McGriff or Delgado - you're right. I over looked him.

I really did look at Gibson and King Albert. However, 3000 hits is what stood out to me. In addition to that Brock was the all time stolen base leader before Rickey - so I went with Brock based on those two things.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Tris Speaker on the Indians.

Pete Alexander on the Phillies.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Wahoo Sam Crawford on the Tigers as opposed to Hank Greenberg.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Oakland/Philadelphia A's

Lefty Grove
Jimmie Foxx

WhiteSox5187
08-13-2008, 11:04 PM
I don't think Piazza belongs on that list with the Mets...but I can't think of a player to replace him. I should note though that I was never a fan of Piazza.

TornLabrum
08-13-2008, 11:15 PM
And if you're talking about the O's you also have to consider the St. Louis Browns, and if you consider the Browns, you have to consider George Sisler.