PDA

View Full Version : Have a question about Clayton Richard

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 03:42 PM
does anyone know why he isn't allowed to play in the olympics...

delben91
08-13-2008, 03:46 PM
does anyone know why he isn't allowed to play in the olympics...

I think he was in the majors at the time the olympic rosters had to be finalized, and thus wasn't eligible.

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 03:49 PM
I think he was in the majors at the time the olympic rosters had to be finalized, and thus wasn't eligible.

I could be wrong but wasn't Taylor Teagarden in the majors as well...

MisterB
08-13-2008, 05:14 PM
I could be wrong but wasn't Taylor Teagarden in the majors as well...

Teagarden was called up July 18th and sent back down on the 21st. Richard was up from the 21st to August 4th. The Olympic roster was finalized on July 24th.

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Teagarden was called up July 18th and sent back down on the 21st. Richard was up from the 21st to August 4th. The Olympic roster was finalized on July 24th.

ok thanks .... it's a shame we can't see Clayton play in the olympics

doublem23
08-13-2008, 05:31 PM
ok thanks .... it's a shame we can't see Clayton play in the olympics

Probably not if you want to see Team USA do well.

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Probably not if you want to see Team USA do well.

Team USA played like **** today... I believe Clayton has a great future ahead of him. he just isn't ready yet

cws05champ
08-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Team USA played like **** today... I believe Clayton has a great future ahead of him. he just isn't ready yet
It brings up an interesting question. If you were a minor leaguer and were selected to the last Olympic baseball team, would you rather stay down and play in the Olympics for the last shot at a medal or come to the majors (not knowing the results) for your shot?

Foulke You
08-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Clayton showed some promise in 2 of his 3 starts. The start in KC was one to forget. I think Clayton's future might be as a bullpen pitcher. I could see him being a good 1 or 2 inning middle reliever.

Tekijawa
08-13-2008, 05:59 PM
It brings up an interesting question. If you were a minor leaguer and were selected to the last Olympic baseball team, would you rather stay down and play in the Olympics for the last shot at a medal or come to the majors (not knowing the results) for your shot?

For a prorated $400K a year I think I'd sit at home and enjoy watching it on television.

soxfan26
08-13-2008, 06:10 PM
For a prorated $400K a year I think I'd sit at home and enjoy watching it on television.

:nod: No question about in my mind. Isn't there also some threshold of games played that automatically guarantees you make the MLB minimum for the rest of your career even if playing in the minors?