PDA

View Full Version : Getz 1st Hit and 1st RBI

nevr say dye sox
08-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Congrats to Chris Getz who in his first AB last night drove a ball up the middle and scored Brian Anderson from second. He really looked comfortable up at the plate. Way to go! The score said this morning Getz will probabaly be the starting 2B next year. :bandance:

nsdjoe
08-13-2008, 10:39 AM
He's so short! :redneck

Congrats, Chris!

btrain929
08-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Congrats to Chris Getz who in his first AB last night drove a ball up the middle and scored Brian Anderson from second. He really looked comfortable up at the plate. Way to go! The score said this morning Getz will probabaly be the starting 2B next year. :bandance:

Well if the Score said it, then I have nothing to worry about out: Getz it is!

jabrch
08-13-2008, 11:15 AM
If he is skilled enough to go into next year as the starter, then we will have 2B and SS locked down cheap. RF and LF are both set as well at a reasonable price. As is C and 4 of the 5 rotation spots. Ditto for the pen. Konerko is here to stay, baring unforseen circumstances. And Thome is sure to make his # of PAs to guarantee him 2008. Swish is cheap - I assume he keeps CF next year.

So we will need to solve 3B (Crede? Fields? Someone else?) and 5th SP...Maybe one more reliever?

btrain929
08-13-2008, 11:28 AM
If he is skilled enough to go into next year as the starter, then we will have 2B and SS locked down cheap. RF and LF are both set as well at a reasonable price. As is C and 4 of the 5 rotation spots. Ditto for the pen. Konerko is here to stay, baring unforseen circumstances. And Thome is sure to make his # of PAs to guarantee him 2008. Swish is cheap - I assume he keeps CF next year.

So we will need to solve 3B (Crede? Fields? Someone else?) and 5th SP...Maybe one more reliever?

Casey Blake, Ben Sheets, and we're on our way...

jabrch
08-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Casey Blake, Ben Sheets, and we're on our way...

Sheets doesn't seem like a guy we'd go after - a bit injured...and will want longer term than we are willing to give pitchers. He won't get more than Buehrle from us - and I expect he will want it.

I'm not sure about Blake. He feels very mediocre to me.

btrain929
08-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Sheets doesn't seem like a guy we'd go after - a bit injured...and will want longer term than we are willing to give pitchers. He won't get more than Buehrle from us - and I expect he will want it.

I'm not sure about Blake. He feels very mediocre to me.

1) Agreed. Plus it could be a typical "great season in a walk year" year for Sheets, then after he dots the line he's on the DL. We're probably more like to make a trade in the offseason to acquire a 5th starter than go the FA route. I think a lot of our prospects have stepped it up this year, and might help with that process.
2) I agree, but the 3B FA market next year is weak. Maybe Crede will opt to sign a 1 year deal with us, hoping to have a monster year, THEN hit FA and cash in. For some reason, I'm getting the feeling that Fields as our '09 3B is getting smaller and smaller by the minute.....

nevr say dye sox
08-13-2008, 12:29 PM
I would still like to ge Chone Figgans he could lead off and play third.

nodiggity59
08-13-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm callin' it now:
C AJ
1B Swisher
2B Getz
3B Blake
SS Alexei
LF TCQ
RF Dye
DH PK

Thome is gone, by hook or by crook. KW will use Fields and whatever else we have to bring in a SP or CF. I'd love to see them trade for a youngish CF and sign a vet on a 1 year deal for the rotation.

Marqhead
08-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm callin' it now:
C AJ
1B Swisher
2B Getz
3B Blake
SS Alexei
LF TCQ
RF Dye
DH PK

Thome is gone, by hook or by crook. KW will use Fields and whatever else we have to bring in a SP or CF. I'd love to see them trade for a youngish CF and sign a vet on a 1 year deal for the rotation.

You're missing CF

FireMariotti
08-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Getz has been productive so far; let's see if he can keep up this pace.

Talk about gushing over a small sample size.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-13-2008, 01:02 PM

Same here. If we can't get Crede and we trade Fields for something valuable I think Figgins would be the best option. Especially if we don't resign Cabrera. I'd say sign Figgins and Uribe as a backup IF.

stl_sox_fan
08-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Congrats to the kid. Keep it up or else...

Did anyone catch Cabrera's antics with the ball? Cox through him the ball, Cabrera caught it, turned around and then tossed another ball into the stands. Hawk and DJ didn't mention it. Pretty neat trick messin' with the Rookie.

pmck003
08-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Congrats to the kid. Keep it up or else...

Did anyone catch Cabrera's antics with the ball? Cox through him the ball, Cabrera caught it, turned around and then tossed another ball into the stands. Hawk and DJ didn't mention it. Pretty neat trick messin' with the Rookie.

I did - I think the bigger joke would be if the fan thought they had Getz's first hit ball.

schmitty9800
08-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Ugh I don't want any of Blake. I'd rather go with Fields or overpay Figgins/Crede.

Tragg
08-13-2008, 02:51 PM

Someone else - Crede's just too gimpy.
We have very little to trade - and what little we do have, we'd have to trade at a discount, so no reason to do it.
We should put the money into starting pitching - CC Sabathia?
As for the pen, that's where the farm system should help. Williams has chased a lot of middle relievers, and the results, overall, haven't been pretty. I'd put Clayton and Broadway out there.

btrain929
08-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Someone else - Crede's just too gimpy.
We have very little to trade - and what little we do have, we'd have to trade at a discount, so no reason to do it.
We should put the money into starting pitching - CC Sabathia?
As for the pen, that's where the farm system should help. Williams has chased a lot of middle relievers, and the results, overall, haven't been pretty. I'd put Clayton and Broadway out there.

Even though he has had some rough outings, I like the stuff I see from Russell. Hard moving fastball in on righties, different arm angles, good offspeed stuff. He just can't get behind hitters 2-0 where he has to lay it in there. When he gets ahead, he's pretty tough.

Tragg
08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Even though he has had some rough outings, I like the stuff I see from Russell. Hard moving fastball in on righties, different arm angles, good offspeed stuff. He just can't get behind hitters 2-0 where he has to lay it in there. When he gets ahead, he's pretty tough.
I'll buy that. I have seen him pitch like once, so I can't tell.. These guys need a little experience. Russell looks like he has some guts too, when I saw him
Clayton had some good innings with the Sox....harness those and he could help out of the pen.
A guy like Broadway is probably better than many of the career middle relievers around.

PolishPower83
08-13-2008, 03:41 PM

DJ definitely mentioned it...he said something like "Don't fall for the old hidden ball trick." That was a pretty funny move by OC.

turners56
08-13-2008, 03:58 PM
I created Getz in MLB 08 The Show.

He was absolutely beastly, even with the wind blowing in at 22 MPH.

3-4 HR, 3B, 3 RBI. He almost completed the cycle, but flied out to deep, deep right in the 7th.

WhiteSoxBlog
08-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Well, he's getting another chance to work his magic today. He's starting for Ramirez.

TomBradley72
08-13-2008, 06:15 PM
It was only 1 AB...but impressive...patiently took the 1st 2 pitches...then goes the other way to left center. It would be nice to have solid "small ball" type guy in our line up next year.

But PLEASE...not another season of Swisher in CF and DOUBLE PLEASE no Josh Fields at 3rd base.

Thigpen "57"
08-13-2008, 06:19 PM
It was nice to finally see him play. Even though it was his only AB so far, he seems like the type of player that would be easy to root for for years to come.

Congrats Mr. Getz :gulp:

Adele_H
08-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Chris Getz = Minnesota Twins type player.

Hawkaroo and most of us have been clamoring for one for ages. No more!

(Over/under on how long it takes for Greg Walker to have Getz pullevating outside sliders)

BigP50
08-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Getz has looked pretty good so far. 2 Singles and an RBI. Keep it going Chris!!!

LITTLE NELL
08-14-2008, 06:09 AM
How did Getz look in the field Wed. night?
Lets hope he can do the job at 2nd and then we put Alexei at SS,sign Uribe for 1 more year to play 3B and groom Beckham in the minors next year to play 3B in 2010.

Adele_H
08-14-2008, 12:19 PM
How did Getz look in the field Wed. night?.

Solid but unspectacular.

Didn't quite have Alexei's reach/athleticism to snag a liner earlier in the game. (To be fair, his attempt was still better than Orlando Cabrera's failure to catch one he should have had.)

Then Getz had a chance to start an admittedly very difficult DP but was a bit awkward on the pivot (Iguchi's former strenght) and the throw weak, barely got the lead runner.

I don't know if he has the arm for 3B, but Chone Figgins does it, so who knows.

oeo
08-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Then Getz had a chance to start an admittedly very difficult DP but was a bit awkward on the pivot (Iguchi's former strenght) and the throw weak, barely got the lead runner.

No way they get a double play on that...I don't care who's playing 2B. He did the right thing, got the lead runner.

johnnyg83
08-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Thome isn't gone unless we cut him and eat salary or trade ... both unlikely .. he looks like he's going to make the minimum ABs to satisfy the option.

And if he stays as hot as he's been since the ASB ... I'll take him.

Tragg
08-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Thome isn't gone unless we cut him and eat salary or trade ... both unlikely .. he looks like he's going to make the minimum ABs to satisfy the option.

And if he stays as hot as he's been since the ASB ... I'll take him.
Who's going to play better DH than Thome, except maybe JD if we get a stud right fielder, which is unlikely?

Mr. Downtown
08-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Interesting comments here. He's been up for four days and some have already determined that he can't do this or he can't do that. Seriously what do you think that it's like when someone who's never been up goes out on the diamond at any major league ballpark for the first few times. The kid not only gets a hit in his first at bat - and a legitimate one at that - but he knocks in a run to boot.

If anyone was watching closely they would have seen that the bench moved him before the line drive double to right center. He would have caught the ball if he hadn't been moved. As it relates to trying to turn a double play on the ball that was hit to his left, there is no way that anyone playing professional baseball would have turned that grounder into a double play. No one. Period.

He's been in minor league baseball for a reason and he's proved himself. Ozzie and Kenny deserve kudos for bringing him up. I say give him some time and you're going to be very happy.

kjhanson
08-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Chris Getz = Minnesota Twins type player.

Exactly. I made a similar comment in a post early this summer. Getz is the type of guy who pisses you off because he doesn't look like a superior athlete or baseball player, but he gets the job done one way or another. I think he'll be a solid major leaguer, and I can only hope it's with the White Sox.

This is a complete pipedream at this point, but we could have the makings of a very solid 1-4 for a long time:

SS Ramirez
2B Getz
3B Beckham
LF Quentin

Adele_H
08-15-2008, 01:41 AM
Getz is the type of guy who pisses you off because he doesn't look like a superior athlete or baseball player, but he gets the job done one way or another.

:hawk

"you da'gum right he does"

SS Ramirez
2B Getz
3B Beckham
LF Quentin

I dunno, Kenny sure does love him some O-Dog...

nccwsfan
08-15-2008, 10:48 AM

Putting on my WSI GM hat (:redneck) I think this is someone that KW will work hard to get on the team for 2009 and beyond....