PDA

View Full Version : Zumaya shut down again...

jabrch
08-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Poor kid - Great arm - just hasn't been healthy.

oeo
08-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Do the Tigers come into next year again banking on Zumaya and Rodney staying healthy?

asindc
08-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Poor kid - Great arm - just hasn't been healthy.

This was one of the reasons why I didn't think the Tigers would win the Central this year. I didn't think Zumaya (and to a lesser extent, Rodney) would come back healthy enough this year to make a difference.

UofCSoxFan
08-13-2008, 11:44 AM
This was one of the reasons why I didn't think the Tigers would win the Central this year. I didn't think Zumaya (and to a lesser extent, Rodney) would come back healthy enough this year to make a difference.

I felt the same way....I thought Detroits starting pitching was thin if Dontrelle or Bonderman couldn't elevate their games (and they've been awful/hurt this year) and saw they had very little depth in the pen outside of two injured guys and a closer that can't strike anyone out.

I also saw Cleveland having a horrible pen this year as well, and thought this would be their downfall (their crappy offense hasn't helped either).

I thought both CLE and DET's offenses would make up for these flaws enough to keep them in the race, but I felt from the beginning that if the Sox got good, not great, starting pitching (which they have) they'd be right there at the end. I will admit, I did not see the Twins being in the picture, however.

aryzner
08-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Too much Guitar Hero again?

(That was him, right?)

jabrch
08-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Do the Tigers come into next year again banking on Zumaya and Rodney staying healthy?

I doubt it. Money never seems to be an obstacle so why wouldn't they go after a Fuentes or a Francisco Rodriguez type guy?

stacksedwards
08-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Kenny will turn this rock into a diamond after the Tigers sign a big name closer in the offseason and cut ties with him two years down the road.

oeo
08-13-2008, 12:12 PM
I doubt it. Money never seems to be an obstacle so why wouldn't they go after a Fuentes or a Francisco Rodriguez type guy?

That's not banking on Zumaya and Rodney staying healthy. That's actually realizing you have a problem and taking action to fix it.

jabrch
08-13-2008, 12:16 PM
That's not banking on Zumaya and Rodney staying healthy. That's actually realizing you have a problem and taking action to fix it.

That's realizing that Zumaya (hurt) and Rodney (bad) aren't dependable...yes.

Oblong
08-13-2008, 12:21 PM

The Detroit news is speculating that the Tigers will slash payroll after this season. I think it'll just be a natural occurence with the expiration of big contracts. Rodriguez, renteria, Jones, and Rogers makes it about $40 million. But they may not go after any big names.

If the Tigers plan on having both Rodney and Zumaya as healthy and effective then they'll be in trouble. They need to approach the off season as those two not being there. Zumaya had problems staying healthy in the minor and in the majors.

whitesox901
08-13-2008, 02:52 PM

The AL Central's very own Prior and Wood

hellview
08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
K-Rod will be closing for the Tigers next season.

CashMan
08-13-2008, 03:13 PM
K-Rod will be closing for the Tigers next season.

Doubt it, I can see the Yankmees signing him.

hellview
08-13-2008, 03:37 PM

Why would he go to NY and set-up. He's a closer and a great one at that...

palehozenychicty
08-14-2008, 09:09 AM

The Yankees have Mariano. No way on earth K-Rod sets up for him.