PDA

View Full Version : Williams comments on possible trades

Jerry_Manuel
05-12-2002, 11:57 AM
From the Daily Herald:

You can read more by clicking here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=1&id=827)
"We can't afford the present club we have,'' Williams said. "But I think there are some encouraging signs from our fans in Chicago. I've noticed a high level of excitement and if that continues, that might allow us to do some things.''

"There's a day-to-day contact,'' Williams said. "We're constantly in touch with our scouts and constantly in touch with our financial people, not just to look at possibilities but to explore them to the degree that they're realistic.''

The article also listed a few trades:

How about Garland and minor-league third baseman Joe Crede to Baltimore for Scott Erickson?

Or, Jim Parque and Jon Rauch to Kansas City for the surprising Paul Byrd?

Or, Wright and Glover to Philadelphia for Vicente Padilla?

Garrison
05-12-2002, 12:09 PM
I would do Parque and Rauch for Byrd. But Crede and Garland for an old and recently injured Erickson? Are they crazy? That's way too much for a decent starter. Don't give K Willy any ideas! Don't give up on Danny Wright too early either.

duke of dorwood
05-12-2002, 01:00 PM
When Williams talks trade, I start shaking. On the whole, I think that since he took over, after 2000, we'd still be a bit better than we are now by adding from our system, signing a free agent, than we are with the moves he has made.

WinningUgly!
05-12-2002, 01:59 PM
How about Garland and minor-league third baseman Joe Crede to Baltimore for Scott Erickson?

The day this trade gets done is the day I wrap myself in explosives & head straight to Kenny Williams office!

Erickson is a decent pitcher (if healthy) but c'mon Garland & Crede are both guys in thier early 20's with huge upsides. Both will be solid pros eventually. I'm not saying I would never trade Garland and/or Crede, but the deal would have to be right...and this one ain't! If KW were foolish enough to deal either single player, Garland or Crede for Erickson...I might still consider that explosive thing.

doublem23
05-12-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

This one's probably the best of the bunch... I'd probably pull the trigger on this one, if its available.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-12-2002, 04:41 PM
After seeing Parque pitch in the majors and minors, combined with the way he ran his mouth, I'd do the deal to KC in an instant. Heck, I'd trade him for a bag of game balls at this point. At least the game balls would be useful during a game.

OfficerKarkovice
05-12-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
After seeing Parque pitch in the majors and minors, combined with the way he ran his mouth, I'd do the deal to KC in an instant. Heck, I'd trade him for a bag of game balls at this point. At least the game balls would be useful during a game.

I dont know about giving up Rauch for Byrd...I dont think Byrd is good enough to wager that much of your future for.

Garrison
05-12-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
I dont know about giving up Rauch for Byrd...I dont think Byrd is good enough to wager that much of your future for.

OfficerKark knows his stuff and this is a very good point. But you just have to consider if we want to fix the pitching and win now or keep Rauch and develop him for the coming years. Byrd is pitching really well and would help us tremendously but is that worth the possibly good future of Rauch? Tough call. I'd deal Parque for just about anyone/anything right now.

GASHWOUND
05-12-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

This one's probably the best of the bunch... I'd probably pull the trigger on this one, if its available.

It probably is the best of the bunch, but Philly ain't gonna trade Padilla. The guy is probably their best pitcher, and he was the main guy in the trade for Shilling that Philly got back. He almost threw a no-hitter his last start. So it would be great to get him, but not gonna happen

GASHWOUND
05-12-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner

Nobody is gonna take Parque, and we would get absolutely noone for him anyway. The guy just got rocked again for like 9 runs. He's beyond pathetic right now, and I don't even think we trading Parque for a bag of game balls would even be a fair trade for the team giving us the bag of game balls.

:butter
"I suck"

RadioHead PH
05-12-2002, 11:31 PM
Why not something like Parque, Garland and say...1-2 C+ prospects for Byrd? I wouldn't even give up Rauch for Byrd straight up. Let alone Rauch for Byrd and Suppan.

RedPinStripes
05-12-2002, 11:42 PM
No No No!

RedPinStripes
05-12-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

The day this trade gets done is the day I wrap myself in explosives & head straight to Kenny Williams office!

*****!!!!!!!!!! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

GASHWOUND
05-12-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
No No No!

So I'm guess you don't like this trade???Parque, Garland and say...1-2 C+ prospects for Byrd? I wouldn't even give up Rauch for Byrd straight up.

:)

Randar68
05-13-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

The article also listed a few trades:

Or, Jim Parque and Jon Rauch to Kansas City for the surprising Paul Byrd?

I think I'm going to be sick. The last one is the only one I wouldn't throw myself out of the window if it happenned....

Procol Harum
05-13-2002, 11:11 AM
Well, don't get your hopes too high for anything, there, fellow Sox fans. Note the key clause within KW's spiel linked all this to the "high level of excitement" among Sox fans which "might allow [them] to do some things." In other words, it's the typical Sox management "blame the fans" mindset that hinges on attendance. With that showing in Anaheim and the forecasted temps in the 60s and a fair amount of rain on tab for this week you can bet that hordes of Sox fans aren't going to show up at Comiskey. I doubt we average more than 16,000-17,000 for the Texas series. This will, of course, be taken as an insult by Sox management and KW will not be taken off his financial leash to try and make a deal (although that may indeed add up to addition through inaction--like others of you here, KW's track record hardly lends itself to optimism that he would make the right move). So, rather than take a positive step (getting a servicable #2/#3 starter to bolster the staff and send a signal to fans that management is serious) the team will continue to accentuate the negative and blame fans for the inability of this team to eventually do no more than eke out a division championship (and that's taking for granted that the Twinkies will evaporate--something which given White Sox luck down through the years is assuming a lot).

ode to veeck
05-13-2002, 03:59 PM

PHG, could be in the running for quote of the week (*****)

ode to veeck
05-13-2002, 04:22 PM
This will, of course, be taken as an insult by Sox management and KW will not be taken off his financial leash to try and make a deal

Exactly!, this is the most distrubing part of the quote, "we can't afford the team we have" should go down with Bowie Kuhn's "in the best interests of baseball" category for characturing quotes

gee where do the Sox fit in terms of the highest payroll race?

Garrison
05-13-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
gee where do the Sox fit in terms of the highest payroll race?

According to ESPN.com the Sox are 18th in the league with a little over $57 million. That's less that half the Yankees' payroll.

danman31
05-13-2002, 05:57 PM
I think if the Sox can get Vincente Padilla from the Phillies do it at all reasonable costs. Oh wait, reasonable and Kenny Williams don't go together in trades. Kenny Williams isn't that bad of a GM when it comes to anything but trades. Padilla is awesome, the Sox should get him but I don't think PHI will trade him.