PDA

View Full Version : Question about rememberances on a uniform

32nd&Wallace
08-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Can anyone tell me if there is an MLB standard for a team who wants to pay tribue to a former player or announcer on their uniform? I know the Twins did it a few years ago with their PA announcer, the Blue Jays did it with their play by play man and the Yankees did it with Phil Rizzutto. Is it a team policy that has to be approved by the league?

kba
08-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Can anyone tell me if there is an MLB standard for a team who wants to pay tribue to a former player or announcer on their uniform? I know the Twins did it a few years ago with their PA announcer, the Blue Jays did it with their play by play man and the Yankees did it with Phil Rizzutto. Is it a team policy that has to be approved by the league?

Every aspect of every team's uniform has to approved by MLB. There's no standard design for memorial patches; teams can design their own on a case by case basis. But each one has to be approved by MLB.

RadioheadRocks
08-17-2008, 04:15 AM
The White Sox did this in the 1984 season. The uniforms featured a patch on the sleeve with 6/46 (the numbers of coaches Charley Lau and Loren Babe, who both passed away after the 1983 season).