PDA

View Full Version : Who else wants to see Orlando Cabrera come back next year?

Whitesoxfan23
08-13-2008, 12:28 AM
I do. I have always been a fan of OC.

Nellie_Fox
08-13-2008, 12:30 AM
I do. I have always been a fan of OC.Meh. Either way. I'm okay with it if he's back, I'm okay with it if he's not.

I haven't been all that excited about what Cabrera has brought to the Sox.

Whitesoxfan23
08-13-2008, 12:31 AM
His defense has been pretty awesome. Our infield is looking damn good on defense.

Nellie_Fox
08-13-2008, 12:35 AM
His defense has been pretty awesome. Our infield is looking damn good on defense.I think his defense has been inconsistent. He's made some brilliant plays, and also made some plays that indicate his head wasn't in the game. He has also failed to make plays in the outfield that were clearly his, and he just stood there and watched TCQ charge in and come up short.

UofCSoxFan
08-13-2008, 12:37 AM
I would love for the Sox to resign him and keep Alexei at 2nd. I think a lot on WSI undervalue his defense and ability to handle the bat. With a runner in scoring position and less than two outs, I probably want TCQ, Dye, and OC up in that order. He'd be even better in the 2 hole if we got a legit leadoff man.

I also have some reservations about Alexei as SS. The game is quicker than in Cuba, and there definitely was an adjustment period for Alexei at 2B. WIll he likely be fine at SS....probably..is there some risk....I think so.

I think OC rubbed a lot of Sox fans the wrong way with his overblown press box incident. That coupled with the fact that it seemed likely he'd be gone at the end of the year since the moment he got here, many fans have convinced themselves they want him gone.

I don't think he'll be back, but I'd love him to be...at least until Beckham was ready.

WhiteSoxBlog
08-13-2008, 12:50 AM
I like OC & Ramirez together. They're a good pair in the infield, and I'd like him to stick around, even though he's picked up his share of errors. And I know people don't like him, but anything he may have said doesn't affect his playing, so I can't hold that against him.

gf2020
08-13-2008, 01:33 AM
From everything I've heard or read, there is no chance Cabrera is back next year. The organization really wants Alexi at shortstop for whatever reason.

Of course, Orlando Hudson was supposedly a big target for us in free agency and now who knows with him.

jabrch
08-13-2008, 02:03 AM
I'd like him back next year - the problem is that he will get a 3+ year deal and I don't want that.

doublem23
08-13-2008, 02:25 AM
I'd like him back next year - the problem is that he will get a 3+ year deal and I don't want that.

Exactly my feelings. If KW could swing a 1-2 year deal so OC can keep shortstop warm while Beckham works out the kinks in the minors, that would be ideal, but I have a feeling he's going to want something a little longer.

Like Swisher, I like the intangibles OC has brought to the Sox, but he's not played like he's irreplaceable the way TCQ has this season. If OC comes back, great, I would still like to find a way to get a true lead-off hitter around here, but if he leaves, it's not like KW and the Sox scouting department haven't had a knack for finding talented middle infielders recently.

If the worst thing that happens is he wins a ring here and then departs, well, it will have been a mutually satisfactory relationship. :cool:

BringBackBlkJack
08-13-2008, 02:35 AM
The organization really wants Alexi at shortstop for whatever reason.

I would assume that if that was true for next season it would be to make room for 1st round draft pick Gordon Beckham, who played 2B for the Bulldogs. It's fairly logical in that Alexei has shown the ability to perform at the ML level both defensively and offensively. I like him at 2B but I think he's up for taking on SS as well.

Jerome
08-13-2008, 02:47 AM
nah, let's slide Alexei over, pick up Orlando Hudson (he just seems like a KW guy to me - we've heard his name in rumors before right?) and use the 2 1st round picks we get from whoever signs him to let KW build up that minor league system.

Nellie_Fox
08-13-2008, 02:58 AM
From everything I've heard or read, there is no chance Cabrera is back next year. The organization really wants Alexi at shortstop for whatever reason.If this kid plays for the Sox for twenty years, will people get his name right? It's Alexei, not Alexi. Alexi Casilla is on the DL for the Twins.

Bucky F. Dent
08-13-2008, 07:03 AM
I would keep him to hold the position for a year or two until Beckham is ready. If he wants longer than that, then he can leave.

Craig Grebeck
08-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Take the picks and let him walk.

hi im skot
08-13-2008, 07:53 AM
I was surprised to see that as of Sunday, he was leading the team in hits.

mccoydp
08-13-2008, 08:30 AM
If this kid plays for the Sox for twenty years, will people get his name right? It's Alexei, not Alexi. Alexi Casilla is on the DL for the Twins.

About the same time that they start typing re-sign instead of resign. It could be a while.

palehozenychicty
08-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Take the picks and let him walk.

Thank you.

voodoochile
08-13-2008, 08:50 AM
I'd take him back in an instant. I assume Crede will probably take a one year deal with an option as I doubt the Sox will invest anymore than that in him and I don't think his league offers will be great due to his ever present back problems - unless this is an expected setback due to relatively recent major surgery - something I doubt given the length and unpredictability of his stay on the DL so far. However, I don't think the Sox will sign Crede until he gets a clean bill of health and I doubt Boras will allow that (ala Magglio) and thus expect him to walk.

I'd like to see one of them back for sure. Otherwise the Sox are going into next season with 2 rookies and a 2nd year player holding down the infield (barring a trade or FA signing). I think that's asking a lot from such a young group. I'd hope they'd keep at least some veteran leadership and ability to swing the bat to ensure success.

infohawk
08-13-2008, 08:51 AM
I'd like to see him back. He's a fairly consistent line-drive hitter who can play the heck out of shortstop and run the bases. What I'd really like to see is the Sox acquire a legitimate lead-off hitter and bat Cabrera in the two-hole. I think the entire offense would set up to where the Sox could manufacture some more runs.

voodoochile
08-13-2008, 08:52 AM
I'd like to see him back. He's a fairly consistent line-drive hitter who can play the heck out of shortstop and run the bases. What I'd really like to see is the Sox acquire a legitimate lead-off hitter and bat Cabrera in the two-hole. I think the entire offense would set up to where the Sox could manufacture some more runs.

I think they are going to give Owens a shot at it next year. Expect to see him called up in September if not before. He's hitting well since returning from the DL.

all*star quentin
08-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Based on the choices I've read about. I want to keep OC.

russ99
08-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Let's see how this Getz kid does. If he has a good call-up/September, then I'd be for trying him at 2B and Alexei to SS.

But otherwise, no other option is better than O.C. and Alexei at SS/2B, both this year and next year.

The fly in the ointment is that Orlando probably wants a big contract, since it will likely be his last one. I think he'd be back if he wanted a little less than market value.

Contreras' $10M for (at best) 2 months next year is going to have a big impact on decisions like this in the offseason.

Carolina Kenny
08-13-2008, 09:18 AM
If this kid plays for the Sox for twenty years, will people get his name right? It's Alexei, not Alexi. Alexi Casilla is on the DL for the Twins.

I would love to have OC back at SS and Alexi continue to play 2nd.
They make for a outstanding double play combination. I still like the veteran presence OC provides at SS. Although he has lacked focus at times, overall I give him high marks for offense and defense.

Uribe is really looking like a true 3rd baseman defensively, and along with Alexi and OC gives the Sox superior infield defense. Put Swish at first and its really upper drawer.

In conclusion I would like to keep Alexi at 2nd.

sox1970
08-13-2008, 09:20 AM
You can kiss Cabrera and Crede goodbye. No chance either of them will be on the White Sox next year.

hi im skot
08-13-2008, 09:22 AM
I would love to have OC back at SS and Alexi continue to play 2nd.
They make for a outstanding double play combination. I still like the veteran presence OC provides at SS. Although he has lacked focus at times, overall I give him high marks for offense and defense.

Uribe is really looking like a true 3rd baseman defensively, and along with Alexi and OC gives the Sox superior infield defense. Put Swish at first and its really upper drawer.

In conclusion I would like to keep Alexi at 2nd.

Now you're just being plain obnoxious.

Hitmen77
08-13-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm resigned to the idea that OC doesn't want to re-sign with the Sox. So, I haven't been giving much thought about whether I want to see him back or not.

Maybe I'm wrong about it, but I suspect he'll only stay if we give him a contract that is too long considering his age.

KenBerryGrab
08-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Cabrera has been solid and a real asset since May. I'd like to see him stay, but he'll be looking for a deal the Sox won't do.

Andy T Clown
08-13-2008, 09:50 AM
OC was pretty funny last night when he pretended to throw Getz "first hit" ball in to the stands.

kittle42
08-13-2008, 09:59 AM
I'd take him or leave him, but if they're going to choose the latter option, they had better find a replacement at least on par with him skill-wise.

Whitesoxfan23
08-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Why do people think that OC doesn't really like being here and wouldn't re-sign? He seems to be having a great time on the sox

FedEx227
08-13-2008, 10:31 AM
nah, let's slide Alexei over, pick up Orlando Hudson (he just seems like a KW guy to me - we've heard his name in rumors before right?) and use the 2 1st round picks we get from whoever signs him to let KW build up that minor league system.

And by build up that minor league we all mean draft some very signable college pitchers.

oeo
08-13-2008, 10:33 AM

Alexi Ramirez is Alexei's newborn.

PhillipsBubba
08-13-2008, 10:50 AM
I want to see Alexei at SS and Brian Roberts at 2B...unless the Sox think Getz is the 2B-man of the future. I also hear KW likes Orlando Hudson of the D-Backs for 2B.

Rockabilly
08-13-2008, 10:52 AM
I think the Sox should start Getz at 2B next year and spend the money we save from the departures on 2 pitchers and a CF

khan
08-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Given Cabrera's age and likely contract demands, I'd rather take the compensatory picks for next year than re-sign him.

When I state this, I'm also assuming that either Getz will progress faster than Fields has progressed towards his goal of becoming a major league quality player. Or that Orlando Hudson will come to Chicago at a lower price than Cabrera would take return to Chicago. Contracts for 2B tend to be somewhat lower than for SS, all else being equal; I'd imagine that Cabrera will be out to get paid one last time before retiring. EDIT: Cabrera is currently paid $8M/per, while Hudson is @ $6.25M/per. This might give Kenny a little more wiggle room with respect to signing Hudson instead of Cabrera.

Hudson is also 30 [turning 31 in December], while Cabrera is 32 [turning 33 in November]. Given the multitude of mid thirty-somethings in the roster, I'd take the younger guy.

While Cabrera steals more than Hudson, I think Hudson has the better glove than Cabrera does at this point. To me, the team's inability to catch the ball is more of a pressing issue for 2009 than the ability to steal. Hudson also has better career OBP numbers than Cabrera.

So, assuming Hudson's healthy for next season:

1. Hudson @ 2B, Ramirez @ SS, Getz @ utility IF, PLUS 2 picks would be my first choice.

2. Getz @ 2B, Ramirez @ SS, fill-in-the-blank @ utility, PLUS 2 picks would be my second choice.

A DISTANT #3. Cabrera @ SS, Ramirez @ 2B, Getz @ Utility IF, and NO PICKS to help shore up a middling minor league system; Hope that Cabrera continues to play well at age 33+, hope that the rest of the aging club continues to play well, hope that Cabrera comes @ a reasonable price.

thedudeabides
08-13-2008, 11:36 AM
From everything you hear, it doesn't sound like he'll be back. That's fine with me. Take the draft picks and spend the saved money on pitching.

Hopefully Getz can work out, but if the organization isn't confident, a 2b is easier to replace than a ss. You can find a 2b for a decent price, or aquire one. Whether it be Hudson or whomever.

Having Alexei at ss on the cheap is huge. I think his athleticism suits him better at ss anyway.

I don't really like the idea everyone is throwing out to sign him and hold his spot down for Beckham. Beckham is a high draft pick with a lot of talent, but he is no sure thing and who knows how fast he will develop. It doesn't even sound like anyone knows what position he is best suited for yet.

whitesoxwilkes
08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Meh. Either way. I'm okay with it if he's back, I'm okay with it if he's not.

I agree with the old guy. He's solid but not spectacular. My biggest beef with him seems to be his temper.

Craig Grebeck
08-13-2008, 12:35 PM
I think they are going to give Owens a shot at it next year. Expect to see him called up in September if not before. He's hitting well since returning from the DL.
Pardon?

Getz at 2B makes way more sense in the leadoff role next season.

LoveYourSuit
08-13-2008, 12:38 PM
I see a better chance of Crede here next year than OC.

I also see Uribe staying as a utility man for another 2 years, a role I actually like for him.

OC and a demand for a long term deal = him being the odd man out.

The Sox need to take the draft picks and save the money for perhaps another SP next year.

Besides, if KW was looking to trade OC by the deadline this year, what makes anyone think he want him here long term?

Konerko05
08-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Pardon?

Something tells me the Sox are going to want more speed out of the leadoff spot. They will probably go outside the organization. I truly hope they have given up on the Jerry Owens idea.

Craig Grebeck
08-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Something tells me the Sox are going to want more speed out of the leadoff spot. They will probably go outside the organization. I truly hope they have given up on the Jerry Owens idea.
I don't really see the point in spending the money when Getz is a very viable option.

cws05champ
08-13-2008, 12:45 PM
What I worry about is that they do not offer arbitration to OC or Crede to get those picks. I have seen in the past (David Riske) where the Sox for some reason do not offer arbitration because they don't want to pony up the guarenteed higher $$ over the previous year if the player accepts.

If we get the picks I wouldn't mind seeing OC go especially if he is demanding a 3 year deal. I either want him back on a 1 yr deal or get the picks.

Konerko05
08-13-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't really see the point in spending the money when Getz is a very viable option.

I'm not arguing with you. It just seems like this year, the Sox have had the arguments of "speed doesn't slump" blah blah blah pounded into their heads. You know Guillen is pushing Williams to get a speedy leadoff hitter. I value OBP. Guillen values speed.

PennStater98r
08-13-2008, 01:03 PM
I like Orlando Cabrera on this team - when he's hitting, he really can drive the offense.

infohawk
08-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Very possible. It would mean, though, that the Sox would have to move one of Konerko, Thome, Dye or Swisher. I'm not exactly sure of Thome's option, so he may be the logical person to move, with Konerko and Swisher on some kind of rotation between first and DH.

jabrch
08-13-2008, 01:22 PM
I value OBP. Guillen values speed.

Guillen values whatever will win games. Usually that is hitting. Thus, we have a good hitting club. This team generates the 4th most total bases behind Boston, Detroit and Texas.

I don't care how we get bases - hits are nice. Walks are nice. Doubles are nicer. (Not twice as nice - but more than plain old nice) HRs are even better. The more the better. I just want to be able to get as many bases as possible. I really don't care where they come from. I don't think it is reasonable to say that Guillen values speed as imply that this is all he cares about. His offenses have never looked that way. I'd guess Guillen values scoring runs and winning games. How he does it - depends on the talent he is given. This team scores the 4th most runs in the AL - Speed, OBP SLG, or whatever...

Konerko05
08-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Guillen values whatever will win games. Usually that is hitting. Thus, we have a good hitting club. This team generates the 4th most total bases behind Boston, Detroit and Texas.

I don't care how we get bases - hits are nice. Walks are nice. Doubles are nicer. (Not twice as nice - but more than plain old nice) HRs are even better. The more the better. I just want to be able to get as many bases as possible. I really don't care where they come from. I don't think it is reasonable to say that Guillen values speed as imply that this is all he cares about. His offenses have never looked that way. Guillen values scoring runs and winning games. How he does it - depends on the talent he is given. This team scores the 4th most runs in the AL - Speed, OBP SLG, or whatever...

Yeah I think all of that credit goes to Williams not Guillen. Guillen would love speed at the top of the lineup, and I'm sure he is going to pressure Williams to get it. I guess we will see what Williams does.

turners56
08-13-2008, 01:28 PM
He's overrated and old. I say nay.

jabrch
08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Yeah I think all of that credit goes to Williams not Guillen. Guillen would love speed at the top of the lineup, and I'm sure he is going to pressure Williams to get it. I guess we will see what Williams does.

I think both would rather have balance in an ideal world. I don't believe the statement that either "value speed" while you purport that the opposite of that is your "valuing OBP". They clearly don't value speed above AVG or SLG as this team has lacked speed in most of Guillen/Williams years (except 05). And I don't think they value it over OBP or TB either.

That said, it would be very nice to have a leadoff hitter who runs well. It provides a lot of opportunities to a lineup that we don't have with our current configuration.

Konerko05
08-13-2008, 01:36 PM
I think both would rather have balance in an ideal world. I don't believe the statement that either "value speed" while you purport that the opposite of that is your "valuing OBP". They clearly don't value speed above AVG or SLG as this team has lacked speed in most of Guillen/Williams years (except 05). And I don't think they value it over OBP or TB either.

That said, it would be very nice to have a leadoff hitter who runs well. It provides a lot of opportunities to a lineup that we don't have with our current configuration.

I didn't mean he values speed over OBP as a team concept. I meant solely out of the leadoff spot. If you don't think Guillen wants a speedy leadoff hitter then you are nuts. But yes, I would hope he has a balanced view and we end up with a leadoff with speed and OBP.

I have been thoroughly impressed with Williams acquisitions of high OBP guys over the last year. It is showing somewhat of a change in the organization's mindsight. It can only mean good things.

jabrch
08-13-2008, 01:42 PM
I didn't mean he values speed over OBP as a team concept. I meant solely out of the leadoff spot. If you don't think Guillen wants a speedy leadoff hitter then you are nuts. But yes, I would hope he has a balanced view and we end up with a leadoff with speed and OBP.

I have been thoroughly impressed with Williams acquisitions of high OBP guys over the last year. It is showing somewhat of a change in the organization's mindsight. It can only mean good things.

I agree he wants a speedy leadoff hitter. And I think he should. But I don't think he wants a guy who can't hit there either.

He wants a guy who puts up numbers like Pods did in 2005 (.290/.350 with 59 SBs in 507 ABs) I don't think he wants someone who hits .220/.310 with 60 SBs. And since he doesn't have an option who is hitting .280/.380 with no speed (thinking Youkilis), it isn't an issue.

I just don't believe the assertion that either OG or KW value speed over obp at the leadoff spot. Other than 2005, they haven't ever had that speedy guy there. And in 05, he hit .290/.350, so he was getting hits and he was getting on base at a decent enough clip.

Eddo144
08-13-2008, 01:45 PM

I don't care how we get bases - hits are nice. Walks are nice. Doubles are nicer. (Not twice as nice - but more than plain old nice) HRs are even better. The more the better. I just want to be able to get as many bases as possible. I really don't care where they come from. I don't think it is reasonable to say that Guillen values speed as imply that this is all he cares about. His offenses have never looked that way. I'd guess Guillen values scoring runs and winning games. How he does it - depends on the talent he is given. This team scores the 4th most runs in the AL - Speed, OBP SLG, or whatever...
It's not that Guillen doesn't value scoring runs and winning games, is that he has a poor understanding of what causes more runs to score and more games to be won. He always gives the impression he believes a fast leadoff hitter with a below-average OBP (think Podsednik from July 2005 onward, Erstad, or Cabrera) will generate more runs than a high-OBP leadoff hitter with lower speed (think Youkilis, JD Drew, Swisher). Guillen is wrong in this regard.

Eddo144
08-13-2008, 01:47 PM
I agree he wants a speedy leadoff hitter. And I think he should. But I don't think he wants a guy who can't hit there either.

He wants a guy who puts up numbers like Pods did in 2005 (.290/.350 with 59 SBs in 507 ABs) I don't think he wants someone who hits .220/.310 with 60 SBs. And since he doesn't have an option who is hitting .280/.380 with no speed (thinking Youkilis), it isn't an issue.

I just don't believe the assertion that either OG or KW value speed over obp at the leadoff spot. Other than 2005, they haven't ever had that speedy guy there. And in 05, he hit .290/.350, so he was getting hits and he was getting on base at a decent enough clip.
Guillen has shown that this year. Swisher has a significanly higher OBP (.353) than Cabrera (.324), yet Cabrera has been leading off since May 5.

hellview
08-13-2008, 01:52 PM
I would assume that if that was true for next season it would be to make room for 1st round draft pick Gordon Beckham, who played 2B for the Bulldogs. It's fairly logical in that Alexei has shown the ability to perform at the ML level both defensively and offensively. I like him at 2B but I think he's up for taking on SS as well.

Beckham was a SS for the Bulldogs slick...

thedudeabides
08-13-2008, 02:03 PM
What I worry about is that they do not offer arbitration to OC or Crede to get those picks. I have seen in the past (David Riske) where the Sox for some reason do not offer arbitration because they don't want to pony up the guarenteed higher $$ over the previous year if the player accepts.

If we get the picks I wouldn't mind seeing OC go especially if he is demanding a 3 year deal. I either want him back on a 1 yr deal or get the picks.

They will offer Orlando arbitration. This is a different situation than Riske. He will be a type a and insure 2 draft picks. Worst case scenario, nobody offers him a multi-year deal and he is back for one more year. There's not a whole lot of risk there.

But Cabrerea is going to take the biggest contract he can find, as another poster said, this is probably his last shot at a big contract.

voodoochile
08-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Pardon?

Any 2B who can leadoff would be ideal, but will it happen? I agree Owens merely adds more layers to an already crowded situation, but I think he's going to get his shot.

veeter
08-13-2008, 02:33 PM
I'd love them to sign him for two years. Don't know if he'd take it, but it would be nice. It all depends on Getz's development.

It's Dankerific
08-13-2008, 02:47 PM
I'd go with JD's true feelings on the issue. OC seems like a selfish player and there have been a few times with JD at bat. If JD truly wanted OC back, I'd be on board. But, in my opinion, the quicker OC hits the street the better.

Frater Perdurabo
08-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Offer him arbitration and hope he declines. Let him walk. Take the picks.

The best possible situation is Getz earning the 2B job and Alexei taking SS.

In a perfect world, this lineup would produce well at the plate: 2B Getz, SS Alexei, LF TCQ, RF Dye, 1B PK, C AJ, 3B Crede, DH Swish, CF BA.

If this lineup could form an "AL middle of the pack" offense (which I think is possible), there would be ten metric tons of money to revamp the rotation (Sabathia) and bullpen (Fuentes). Imagine a rotation of CC, Buehrle, Javy, Danks and Floyd; and a pen with Jenks closing, Fuentes in the 8th, Linebrink in the 7th and Dotel/Thornton for the 6th. And that staff would have the league's best defense behind it.

thomas35forever
08-13-2008, 07:23 PM
It would be nice to see him here next year, but I just don't think it'll happen. Slide Alexei over to short and maybe we can get a good second baseman in the offseason if Getz doesn't do quite so well at the ML level this year.

BigP50
08-13-2008, 07:38 PM
I do. I have always been a fan of OC.

I like him but I would like to see Alexi at 3rd and Getz at second

nccwsfan
08-13-2008, 08:54 PM

Most teams are saavy to this now, so I'd be surprised if KW does not offer arbitration to both players. It would be foolish to do otherwise.

IMO Cabrera and Crede are gone regardless- take the picks.

Daver
08-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Most teams are saavy to this now, so I'd be surprised if KW does not offer arbitration to both players. It would be foolish to do otherwise.

IMO Cabrera and Crede are gone regardless- take the picks.

I highly doubt there will be any compensatory picks for Joe Crede.

Chilli Palmer
08-13-2008, 09:07 PM
I believe I have read that Cabrera does not want to play in a cold-weather city. Anyways I think TCM is the Sox starting SS next season.

BigP50
08-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Anyways I think TCM is the Sox starting SS next season.

I agree

nccwsfan
08-13-2008, 09:21 PM
I highly doubt there will be any compensatory picks for Joe Crede.

If Joe Crede is considered a Type B Free Agent and the White Sox offer him arbitration, wouldn't they get a supplemental 1st round pick if Crede declines and he signs elsewhere? If I'm wrong please explain- I'd like to understand this.

Daver
08-13-2008, 09:28 PM
If Joe Crede is considered a Type B Free Agent and the White Sox offer him arbitration, wouldn't they get a supplemental 1st round pick if Crede declines and he signs elsewhere? If I'm wrong please explain- I'd like to understand this.

He won't be considered a type B free agent based on his numbers from the last two years, so therefore he is not going to bring a compensatory pick. Rankings are made by the Elias Sports Bureau, and are based on the last two years of performance.

Tragg
08-13-2008, 10:30 PM
The cost to bring him back is something like 9 million a year plus 2 high draft choices. He's not worth near that.
Offer him arb, and if he accepts, fine. If he doesn't sign a front line pitcher.

Nellie_Fox
08-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Alexi Ramirez is Alexei's newborn.And by the time Alexi is playing for the Sox, people will finally be spelling it Alexei.

jabrch
08-14-2008, 12:30 AM
Offer him arbitration and hope he declines. Let him walk. Take the picks.

The best possible situation is Getz earning the 2B job and Alexei taking SS.

In a perfect world, this lineup would produce well at the plate: 2B Getz, SS Alexei, LF TCQ, RF Dye, 1B PK, C AJ, 3B Crede, DH Swish, CF BA.

If this lineup could form an "AL middle of the pack" offense (which I think is possible), there would be ten metric tons of money to revamp the rotation (Sabathia) and bullpen (Fuentes). Imagine a rotation of CC, Buehrle, Javy, Danks and Floyd; and a pen with Jenks closing, Fuentes in the 8th, Linebrink in the 7th and Dotel/Thornton for the 6th. And that staff would have the league's best defense behind it.

That team, even if it is Fields in lieu of Crede, would win a lot of baseball games.

RockJock07
08-14-2008, 01:54 AM
Yeah, Alexei has shown he can play the ML level game. Yeah, he may struggle at times at SS but I think he could be a 20/20 guy and leadoff if he decides not to swing at everything. I would save the money and take the picks.

CC and Ben Sheets are the frontline pitchers to be had this off-season, the brewers will sign one of them. I just don't think KW will spend that much money on a pitcher. I'd rather give it to CC because he's been pretty damn healthy all his career so I'd break the bank for him because he's that good.

Thome has a $13M option and Griffey has a $16.5M option. My guess is that Griffey is gone unless he wants to re-work his deal. I would really like Adam Dunn to be the DH of this team, he is a clone of Thome except younger, talkes a bit more walks, and is probably cheaper. But I would say that Thome is going to be here which is ok with me too.

BigP50
08-14-2008, 02:26 AM
How does this sound

2009:

Line up
LF-Quentin
CF-Swish
RF-Dye
3B-Fields
SS-Ramirez
2B-Getz
1B-Pauly
C-AJ
DH-Dunn

Rotation
1.Sabathia
2.MB
3.Javy
4.Danks
5.Gavin

gogosox16
08-14-2008, 02:59 AM
How does this sound

2009:

Line up
LF-Quentin
CF-Swish
RF-Dye
3B-Fields
SS-Ramirez
2B-Getz
1B-Pauly
C-AJ
DH-Dunn

Rotation
1.Sabathia
2.MB
3.Javy
4.Danks
5.Gavin
We shouldn't be worrying about things that are not going to happen for at least 3 months. Worry about this team now and how they finish and what happens. This is stuff people start fantasizing in the off-season about.

voodoochile
08-14-2008, 07:53 AM
Barring a major benching, Thome will be on the team next year.

Edit: He needs 122 PA for his option to become automatic. He'd have to miss almost half the remaining games for that not to happen.

Frater Perdurabo
08-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Barring a major benching, Thome will be on the team next year.

Edit: He needs 122 PA for his option to become automatic. He'd have to miss almost half the remaining games for that not to happen.

Start BA in CF, and platoon Thome and Griffey! :tongue:

soxinem1
08-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Meh. Either way. I'm okay with it if he's back, I'm okay with it if he's not.

Ditto. He looks like he misses the skies of Southern California.

I can see him going to LAD or LAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

He's made some decent plays and has stablized the SS position, but he's not been a sparkplug of any kind, and seems to be going through the motions a little bit.

Crede24Thome25
08-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Orlando Cabrera deserves another year with the sox or until they move Alexei to SS.

Madscout
08-14-2008, 07:33 PM
All depends on the cost, my friends, the cost.

He does not get a huge fat contract from the sox, not even close. I'd say 5-7 mil and 8 per year at the most, with maybe a 3-4 year contract would be good. But then again, that won't keep him here, so I guess he's gone.

arKnaD7
08-14-2008, 07:34 PM
I would rather have TCM at SS, Getz/FA at 2nd, and 3 first round draft picks over OC at SS, TCM at SS and only 1 first round draft pick. Especially since our farm system is really weak

soxinem1
08-14-2008, 08:54 PM
I would rather have TCM at SS, Getz/FA at 2nd, and 3 first round draft picks over OC at SS, TCM at SS and only 1 first round draft pick. Especially since our farm system is really weak

The Carlos Martinez???

Daver
08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
The Carlos Martinez???

The Cuban Missile.

Alexei's best position is SS.

Adele_H
08-14-2008, 09:29 PM
The Cuban Missile.

That's saying something since, IMO, "The Carlos Martinez" (lol) was going to win a Gold Glove at 2B as early as next year - what with Pokey Reese retired, Luis Castilo up there in years and Orlando Hudson in another league & injured.

But SS is whole different beast, both physically & mentally. It may be his best position in a sense that he's played it his whole life, but I prefer to be in a wait-and-see mode knowing how inconsistent Cuban SS can be year-to-year (Betancourt, Escobar, etc)

soxinem1
08-14-2008, 09:34 PM
The Cuban Missile.

I do like his range and arm, bu I'm thinking he might be a little small to endure an entire season offfensively and defensively at SS.

Jeckle2000
08-14-2008, 09:39 PM
I will be completely disappointed if they bring back OC... He has an awful attitude and doesn't want to be here. Combine that with his mediocre production and you need to let him go somewhere else and just take the draft picks.

angiew
08-14-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm not a fan of OC. I'll be suprised and disappointed if he's back next year....I just get a feeling that he doesn't want to be here, but of course I could be wrong.