PDA

View Full Version : Southpaw

Vance Law's Dog
08-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I sure was laughing heartily when Southpaw put on Yellow M&M's jacket tonight!

Glad to see the re-emergence of mascots.

:D::D::D:

PeteWard
08-13-2008, 01:00 AM
Southpaw should be ritually incinerated at home plate before Game 1 of the 2008 World Series.

Or in a Gary, Indiana landfill failing that.

Nellie_Fox
08-13-2008, 01:39 AM
But wait, is he a guy in a suit, or a real creature?

PeteWard
08-13-2008, 01:44 AM
I think it's a costume rather than a suit. But I'd burn both just to be sure.

Konerko05
08-13-2008, 02:23 AM
Does anyone else notice how he is always standing behind plate looking like he is trying to distract the opposing pitcher?

If that is the case, why hasn't anyone complained about it. Isn't that kind of bush league?

RadioheadRocks
08-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Does anyone else notice how he is always standing behind plate looking like he is trying to distract the opposing pitcher?

If that is the case, why hasn't anyone complained about it. Isn't that kind of bush league?

Yeah, he's been doing that motion where he grasps his hands out in front of him and does that wave motion with his arms. The person sitting next to him Monday night was doing the same thing.

Nellie_Fox
08-13-2008, 02:54 AM
Isn't that kind of bush league?Yes.

thomas35forever
08-13-2008, 02:57 AM
But wait, is he a guy in a suit, or a real creature?
Regardless of what he is, it's time for Jerry to Cell, sorry, sell.

grv1974
08-13-2008, 08:09 AM
I sure was laughing heartily when Southpaw put on Yellow M&M's jacket tonight!

Glad to see the re-emergence of mascots.

:D::D::D:

I liked it when he did that, too. :tongue:

tonyho7476
08-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Yeah, he's been doing that motion where he grasps his hands out in front of him and does that wave motion with his arms. The person sitting next to him Monday night was doing the same thing.

He was showing us his 'little monster'.

:D:

Jerko
08-13-2008, 10:14 AM
More than one source I know insist Southpaw is a she. The person in the costume anyway, not the creature itself.

russ99
08-13-2008, 10:27 AM

Actually, I find that hilarious. :D:

But that's been part of the Mascot bag of tricks since the advent of the Chicken. I'm sure the players are used to it by now.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-13-2008, 10:28 AM
I think SP as well as Ribbie and Roobarb's heads should be on pikes in the outfield, like the pig head in Lord of the Flies.

We need baseball, not mascots in lieu of.

Cangelosi CF
08-13-2008, 10:31 AM
should be having a menage a trois with Ribbie & Roobarb. :scratch:

KenBerryGrab
08-13-2008, 10:42 AM
My kids love high-fiving Southpaw. So I like Southpaw.

I do notice "him" down in the United Scout seats only when the Sox are up. I think a liner or two the fielders lose in that white jersey would more than make up for what they're paying the person in the costume.

Have any of you ever been in a costume like that? It's hard, hot work.
I was Clifford the Big Red Dog a few times, and I'd come out soaked to the bone and covered in red fuzz. (And there would often be a second-shift person who had to get into the thing next. Nice!)

hi im skot
08-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Last year my sister and I "improved our real estate" with Coldwell Banker and moved from the upper to lower deck. As we posed with Southpaw and the Chevy Pride Crew, my sister claims that Southpaw got a little friendly with her.

PatK
08-13-2008, 11:05 AM
What the hell is Southpaw supposed to be?

white sox bill
08-13-2008, 11:13 AM
I still miss Ribby and Rhubarb!

Cat Thief
08-13-2008, 11:18 AM
I think SP as well as Ribbie and Roobarb's heads should be on pikes in the outfield, like the pig head in Lord of the Flies.

We need baseball, not mascots in lieu of.

God forbid that we have something fun for the kids at the park.

Maybe this would be better.....

:woo-woo

voodoochile
08-13-2008, 11:39 AM
What the hell is Southpaw supposed to be?

A mascot...:D:

tonyho7476
08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
God I hate this guy.

Maybe this would be better.....

:woo-woo

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-13-2008, 12:27 PM

I'm all for fun - it's a ball game so my kids (when they were younger) went to Fundamentals and watched the game.

If you need Southpaw to keep your kids entertained at the game, maybe the kids are too young to be there.

whitesox901
08-13-2008, 02:09 PM
whats with all the southpaw hate? I think he's pretty nifty and if the kids like em, I see no harm he creates

hi im skot
08-13-2008, 02:10 PM
whats with all the southpaw hate? I think he's pretty nifty and if the kids like em, I see no harm he creates

The Sox won last night and are in first place. Folks need to find something to complain about.

Vienna
08-13-2008, 09:17 PM
I still miss Ribby and Rhubarb!

And what where they supposed to be. I know a mascot. But seriously, what were they? Kind of like the Philly Phanatic, another strange being. Maybe they play well with the plushy crowd.

I'm sure there are multiple persons taking turns as Southpaw. It looked like Southpaw was getting fresh with a woman in the Scout Seats last night before he did his pitchers taunt.

Regarding it being hard work, yes it is. Hard to move, hard to see, too hot and unfortunately you're never the first to sweat in that outfit. I was a duck (U of Iowa's Riverfest mascot) for a homecoming parade. I was on rollerblades and some drunk guy took a big swing at me. Thankfully I ducked (pun intended) and he missed. I then turned and said "don't (bleep) with the duck!" That got a decent crowd reaction...and a talking to from the dean of student affairs. Ironically, the thought of someone punching a duck on rollerblades makes me laugh quite a bit.

JB98
08-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Southpaw neither enhances nor diminishes my experience at USCF. I'm pretty sure Southpaw is just a big green bugor. He/she is not harming anybody.

white sox bill
08-14-2008, 07:44 AM
I'm sure there are multiple persons taking turns as Southpaw. It looked like Southpaw was getting fresh with a woman in the Scout Seats last night before he did his pitchers taunt.

So where do I sign up?:smile:

Ironically, the thought of someone punching a duck on rollerblades makes me laugh quite a bit.

Remember many yrs ago when Barney got beat up?

Vienna
08-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah (I type sheepishly). Silly things happening to mascots are just plain funny. Did you see the clip of the Reds' mascot (the one with the baseball head) losing his head when he fell off the back of an ATV driven by the other Reds' mascot? Outside of the shocked kids, it's still pretty good stuff.

Frontman
08-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Southpaw is fun. And the guy (or guys or girls for that matter) who perform as him make the experience fun, even for adults.

Come on now, you mean nobody other than my wife and myself thought it funny when Southpaw wrapped up like a Mummy and shuffling behind home plate when Kenny Rogers was pitching?