PDA

View Full Version : i think jerry manuel is a ****ing *****, who else agrees?

DonkeyKongerko
05-12-2002, 01:01 AM
i always thought this soft spoken bull**** was not a good thing for a manger to have. he basically lets the team manage itself. he tells pitchers like danny wright they did a good job when they get spanked. he tells people to bring their 'A' game.

i just have a really hard time picturing this guy motivating a team after a 19-0 asswhooping at the hands of the ****ing halos. i think he just does his assclown hand clap that he always does and says something like "we'll get em next time." i think managers like lou pineilla and joe torre dont bend over and take it when teams play like this. they go out and try and put some intimidation into other teams. jerry manuel is by no stretch of the imagination intimidating and i think we need a manager who is. by the way it doesn't help that the rest of our coaching staff is about as ***** whipped as jerry manuel.

Daver
05-12-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko
i always thought this soft spoken bull**** was not a good thing for a manger to have. he basically lets the team manage itself. he tells pitchers like danny wright they did a good job when they get spanked. he tells people to bring their 'A' game.

i just have a really hard time picturing this guy motivating a team after a 19-0 asswhooping at the hands of the ****ing halos. i think he just does his assclown hand clap that he always does and says something like "we'll get em next time." i think managers like lou pineilla and joe torre dont bend over and take it when teams play like this. they go out and try and put some intimidation into other teams. jerry manuel is by no stretch of the imagination intimidating and i think we need a manager who is. by the way it doesn't help that the rest of our coaching staff is about as ***** whipped as jerry manuel.

Joe Torre does less than JM he just sits in the dugout and let the best money can buy play the game.Blaming JM is like blaming a weatherman cause his forecast was wrong.

CerberusWG
05-12-2002, 01:18 AM
I agree only because he said assclown hand clap.

ROFL!!!

Nellie_Fox
05-12-2002, 01:38 AM
My only beef about tonight was I thoroughly expected a pinch hitter for Royce in the ninth. Would it have mattered? Probably not.

Hey, he shook up the lineup. Maggs is clearly the best hitter on the team right now, and should be in the three hole. He was there. Frank was dropped down to five, and seemed to respond. He looked the most comfortable at the plate tonight that he has in a while; he wasn't bailing on inside pitches and the double was a right field line rocket, not a dying quail.

I don't think White Sox fans have been happy with a manager since Al Lopez.

voodoochile
05-12-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
My only beef about tonight was I thoroughly expected a pinch hitter for Royce in the ninth. Would it have mattered? Probably not.

Hey, he shook up the lineup. Maggs is clearly the best hitter on the team right now, and should be in the three hole. He was there. Frank was dropped down to five, and seemed to respond. He looked the most comfortable at the plate tonight that he has in a while; he wasn't bailing on inside pitches and the double was a right field line rocket, not a dying quail.

I don't think White Sox fans have been happy with a manager since Al Lopez.

well, I agree... I was waiting for Jerry to blow a gasket, and if they had been shutout tonight I would hope he would have, but the team responded by fighting back into the game when they could have just folded, so maybe he does have a plan after all...

nut_stock
05-12-2002, 02:14 AM
This "fire Jerry Manuel" is getting pretty old, move on guys, its not going to happen.

RedPinStripes
05-12-2002, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
This "fire Jerry Manuel" is getting pretty old, move on guys, its not going to happen.

People may disagree here, but if manuel is so good in player development, send him to AAA. Some of you know I've never been a Manuel supporter. I always thought he was just a JR lapdog and made decisions for the hell of it and then didn't make the moves when he needed to. He's horrible for situations like tonight with letting K-layton bat.

Unless KW made those lineups last year in the first 2 months, JM is a complete idiot and had no idea what he was doing. This shows when he makes moves for the hell of it in the bullpen. He has to use at least 4 pitchers in every game and then says the bullpen is not rested.

The only problem with firing Manuel is, what's out there that is better? JR will never get anotehr real manager that wants things his way like LaRussa again. As much as i don't like it, we're stuck with him and I'll always think he's a moron. :angry:

PaleHoseGeorge
05-12-2002, 07:09 AM
Why screw around with the line up? Until just now, they've been beating the crap out of the ball. It's the pitching staff that needs to get its act together.

I'm not comfortable with Manuel screwing around with something that doesn't need screwing around with. Meanwhile he does nothing about a rotation that clearly needs help.

Of course, that's not Manuel's fault; it is the general manager's fault.

And naturally the GM is going to trot out the same excuse he has been using since last winter, "We can't afford a pitcher."

So guess who's fault the Chicago White Sox have figured out to blame this mess on?

A show of hands please!
:fans
"Here we are!"

:ohno
"Are any of us really that surprised?"

FanOf14
05-12-2002, 09:26 AM
I know I am no manager, and I thing certain changes in the lineup might not have been too terrible, but why would you move a guy that batting .347? Is that sort of playing with fire? I guess it didn't work out that bad, but then moving Durham down so far? What happen to Ordonez? He batted in the first and the next thing I saw was Rowand was in right and batting in his spot. I agree with a previous statement in the thread that it's more the pitching than the hitting that has issues, which is where we need a strong, knowledgeable, GM...oops, he left a few years back. There is no way KW deserved this position and he proves it every day. That's just my two cents...

harwar
05-12-2002, 10:29 AM
I don't know whats going on with this west coast *****.Some west coast witch must have put a curse on the Sox or J.R. or K.W. or all of the above.We'll take 2 out of 3 from the angels when the Sox get home.One thing i noticed is that everytime they showed J.M. he looked scared to death.Like being on a runaway train or ship at sea thats lost power,he just feels helpless right now.I for one will be glad when they home.

voodoochile
05-12-2002, 10:46 AM
I know it is early in the season, but I feel that today is a big game for the team. Look at how Oakland and Seattle handeled losing the first two in Chicago last week. They came out and left it all on the field and won the third game of the series. If we are ever to be taken seriously as a contender, we have to learn to do that too.

The fans are watching, Jerry... what will your boys do?

Garrison
05-12-2002, 12:04 PM
JM has many more pitching problems than hitting problems. I didn't mind his changes to the lineup last night. Maggs is clearly hitting better than Frank and should be batting #3. Rowand did very well in his spot after Maggs left with a back injury too. Thomas drew what? 2-3 walks and didn't whiff so bad at #5. I thought Jose looked all right in his old #2 spot and I don't know what they're doing with ray-ray. Resting him, moving his batting spot around, I don't know. JM is a moron for sure and he does a lot of things for seemingly no reason. He gets on my nerves at times and needs to be more motivational or emotional. But like someone said, who out there is better and available? We are more or less stuck with him and it's not the worst thing in the world.

Jerry_Manuel
05-12-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Why screw around with the line up? Until just now, they've been beating the crap out of the ball. It's the pitching staff that needs to get its act together.

I'm not comfortable with Manuel screwing around with something that doesn't need screwing around with. Meanwhile he does nothing about a rotation that clearly needs help.

I liked the changes myself. I've been saying for quite awhile now, that Valentin would be better batting 2nd, than 6th. Ray is batting .175 in his previous 11 games and .186 over his last 16.

I also agreed with the Thomas move as well. While he was still drawing walks, he wasn't doing much else. Perhaps taking some pressure off him will help him. Hopefullly he find his swing and the offense will fire up again.

duke of dorwood
05-12-2002, 12:43 PM
I liked the changes too. More than anything, I think it was an attempt to get the focus off the pitching. A grand idea, until 5 in the first refocused everything. I say leave Jose in the 2 spot and see if he takes off like Ray did initially.

doublem23
05-12-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I liked the changes too. More than anything, I think it was an attempt to get the focus off the pitching. A grand idea, until 5 in the first refocused everything. I say leave Jose in the 2 spot and see if he takes off like Ray did initially.

But the focuse SHOULD be on the pitching... And, whenever you give up 19 runs in a game, shifting a few players isn't going to make it all better.

kevingrt
05-12-2002, 12:54 PM
I don't know how you guys keep on accusing Jerry for doing nothing wrong. We have been in a real slump on offense and tried to get something going by mixing up the lineup. At least he's not Don Baylor having Darren Lewis in or switching the lineup every other day. He has been a fine manager and has not done anything royally wrong so far this year. If he has someone point it out.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-12-2002, 01:03 PM
I have no problem with moving Thomas down the line up, as long as Frank himself is comfortable with the move. Apparently he's okay with it, so no harm.

However, I can't understand moving Durham. Along with Lofton, he is the main reason the Sox are scoring all these runs. We're leading the majors in run scored, and now Manuel decides to move Durham? I don't get it.

I wonder if anyone would support these moves if our pitching wasn't giving up 5+ runs per game? "Fixing" the offense does NOTHING to fix the pitching.

I can think of only two good reasons for moving Durham--a notorious head case from way back.

:jerry
"It protects me from being accused of doing nothing?"

or...

:KW
"It gives me more leverage in contract negotiations?"

mrwag
05-12-2002, 03:04 PM
I didn't mind seeing the lineup shuffled a little. I still cannot understand why the hell Clayton is playing this game. He's barely hitting .200. Lee is on the bench because of his bat, why isn't Clayton? I just wish this guy would get unloaded so we can get Jose back at SS and bring up Crede.. He must have some dirt on someone....

kevingrt
05-12-2002, 03:17 PM
Clayton is our best fielder, and he has been a very good clutch hitter so far.

Daver
05-12-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt

Very good is vastly over rating it.

RedPinStripes
05-12-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt

You're kidding right?
So you want him batting in the 9th with 2 out and down by 3 runs right? notice how K-layton will always be the one to end the game if there are 2 out in hte 9th? They throw him junk because he's dumb enough to swing at it. How clutch is that?

Jerry_Manuel
05-12-2002, 03:42 PM
However, I can't understand moving Durham. Along with Lofton, he is the main reason the Sox are scoring all these runs. We're leading the majors in run scored, and now Manuel decides to move Durham? I don't get it.

I wonder if anyone would support these moves if our pitching wasn't giving up 5+ runs per game? "Fixing" the offense does NOTHING to fix the pitching.

I can think of only two good reasons for moving Durham--a notorious head case from way back.

There's nothing Manuel can do to fix the pitching. Biddle's not ready to start yet, so he can't move anyone out of the rotation. We've already seen the Jim Parque show, and Rauch isn't ready yet.

As for Durham, I think Valentin can do what Durham did in the 2-hole and do it better. That's just my opinion though.

Nellie_Fox
05-13-2002, 02:08 AM
I have no problem with moving Thomas down the line up, as long as Frank himself is comfortable with the move. Apparently he's okay with it, so no harm.
Sometimes a manager has to make moves whether the star of the team likes it or not. Frank is hitting .250, Maggs is clearly the best hitter on the team right now. I'm not wanting Frank benched, but he's not a 3 right now.

Originally posted by mrwag
I didn't mind seeing the lineup shuffled a little. I still cannot understand why the hell Clayton is playing this game. He's barely hitting .200. Lee is on the bench because of his bat, why isn't Clayton? I just wish this guy would get unloaded so we can get Jose back at SS and bring up Crede.. He must have some dirt on someone....
Did you see the diving catch to his left Clayton made? Do the majority of shortstops in the AL make that play? I don't think so. Shortstop is a defensive position, left field is not, that's why Lee is on the bench when he's not producing offensively and Clayton isn't. Some of you are so blinded by your hatred of Clayton that you absolutely refuse to acknowledge that he has been playing very solid defense. All the national sports analysts have noticed it, but of course you guys know better. And save the "Buddy Lee" crap. I don't pretend to be a baseball expert, but his range has looked much better than average to me.

RedPinStripes
05-13-2002, 02:11 AM

Sometimes a manager has to make moves whether the star of the team likes it or not. Frank is hitting .250, Maggs is clearly the best hitter on the team right now. I'm not wanting Frank benched, but he's not a 3 right now.

Did you see the diving catch to his left Clayton made? Do the majority of shortstops in the AL make that play? I don't think so. Shortstop is a defensive position, left field is not, that's why Lee is on the bench when he's not producing offensively and Clayton isn't. Some of you are so blinded by your hatred of Clayton that you absolutely refuse to acknowledge that he has been playing very solid defense. All the national sports analysts have noticed it, but of course you guys know better. And save the "Buddy Lee" crap. I don't pretend to be a baseball expert, but his range has looked much better than average to me.

I still hate him. lol

RedPinStripes
05-13-2002, 02:12 AM
And trade Dumbass Caballo too.

FarWestChicago
05-13-2002, 02:16 AM
Did you see the diving catch to his left Clayton made?I'll give Babe some props for that play. He got dirt on his uniform. That wasn't like Buddy Lee. :smile:

RedPinStripes
05-13-2002, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I'll give Babe some props for that play. He got dirt on his uniform. That wasn't like Buddy Lee. :smile:

:hitless
I'm not going to get a contract with people depending on my bat so I'll have to get dirty this year."

kermittheefrog
05-13-2002, 02:29 AM
:firejerry

and hire Buck Showalter!

kermittheefrog
05-13-2002, 02:31 AM
Regarding Clayton:

Anyone who makes an out more than 70% of the time better be a defensive God to stay in the lineup. Clayton may be good but he ain't God. Bench him!

RedPinStripes
05-13-2002, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
:firejerry

and hire Buck Showalter!

Hmmmmmmmm. Not a bad idea. Never thoguht of Buck. He needs to get off Espn though. He's not made for TV.

Nellie_Fox
05-13-2002, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Regarding Clayton:

Anyone who makes an out more than 70% of the time better be a defensive God to stay in the lineup. Clayton may be good but he ain't God. Bench him!
Is that anyone at any position? I don't know what Royce's OBP is this year, but even last year it was over .300. I know that I'm in the minority on this board in believing that "up the middle" are primarily defensive positions and any offense you get from them is a bonus, but Royce's defense has been awfully good so far this year, while Manos' offensive production has not been anything to get excited about, and I know we'd be looking at errors in bunches again.

By the way, Luis Aparicio had years with OBP of under .300. Would you have benched him?

bc2k
05-13-2002, 09:36 PM

I agree with Nellie. Clayton is a solid contributor to this team. I'm glad he's here. Defense is near flawless, his hitting is decent for his spot in the order, and he is semi-clutch. Before anyone mentions Clayton's hitting, one should first mention Frank's. Some complain that Clayton is only getting 2 hits for every 10 at bats in the number 9 spot, at the same time your number 3 hitter and designated hitter is getting 2.5 hits in 10 at bats. I have no problem with complaining about a player but prioritize before you criticize. Thomas is the bigger cancer.

Daver
05-13-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

I agree with Nellie. Clayton is a solid contributor to this team. I'm glad he's here. Defense is near flawless, his hitting is decent for his spot in the order, and he is semi-clutch. Before anyone mentions Clayton's hitting, one should first mention Frank's. Some complain that Clayton is only getting 2 hits for every 10 at bats in the number 9 spot, at the same time your number 3 hitter and designated hitter is getting 2.5 hits in 10 at bats. I have no problem with complaining about a player but prioritize before you criticize. Thomas is the bigger cancer.

OK,I think you have gone just a bit to far on this one,now you are comparing one of the best RH hitters of ALL time with the batting prowess of a guy that has spent the last two seasons flirting with the Mendoza line.I still don't see Thomas as a cancer seeing that he has stepped into the role of being a team leader, and accepted getting moved out of 3 hole with the comment"Whatever is best for the team",while Royce continues to play strictly for a paycheck.

http://users.pandora.be/p0p0/youare.swf

Soxheads
05-13-2002, 10:06 PM

But Thomas has enough patience to draw a walk. There have been enough time this year when I have seen the Sox with a chance to take the lead, and Clayton at the plate. Every time it seems like he gets K'ed on an inside pitch. But I want to look at the stats:

Clayton is the worst of the regular starters (excluding catcher) in: R, H, 2B, RBI, BB, SB, OBP (.240), SLG, OPS, and AVG.

Don't forget about Claytons .087 with RISP, and the same vs. LHP.

Theres a big .000 with bases loaded.

Royce creates only 2.89 runs per 27 outs where as Melvin Mora creates 3.70.

Royces BB/PA ratio is .005 and has .028 BB/K.

I realized I only focused on hitting, but it is also a large part of the game.

Woo! I guess I'm the stathead of the day!

bc2k
05-15-2002, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

But Thomas has enough patience to draw a walk. There have been enough time this year when I have seen the Sox with a chance to take the lead, and Clayton at the plate. Every time it seems like he gets K'ed on an inside pitch. But I want to look at the stats:

Clayton is the worst of the regular starters (excluding catcher) in: R, H, 2B, RBI, BB, SB, OBP (.240), SLG, OPS, and AVG.

Don't forget about Claytons .087 with RISP, and the same vs. LHP.

Theres a big .000 with bases loaded.

Royce creates only 2.89 runs per 27 outs where as Melvin Mora creates 3.70.

Royces BB/PA ratio is .005 and has .028 BB/K.

I realized I only focused on hitting, but it is also a large part of the game.

Woo! I guess I'm the stathead of the day!

Well I won't and can't argue with those stats Soxheads , but I do wish you would prioritize before you criticize. Who is depended on to carry the team - Thomas or Clayton? Who is depended on to hit?
Let me throw out this one: Maybe Clayton would be outhitting Thomas if it was the only thing he had to concentrate on. I mean, Clayton's shoulders can barely hold a bat after carrying the pitchers with his defense. :o:

FarWestChicago
05-15-2002, 02:25 AM
Let me throw out this one: Maybe Clayton would be outhitting Thomas if it was the only thing he had to concentrate on. I mean, Clayton's shoulders can barely hold a bat after carrying the pitchers with his defense.:whoflungpoo

PaleHoseGeorge
05-15-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:whoflungpoo

You know, I've often advocated a return to something akin to the dead-ball era. Then the true value of all-glove/no-stick midde infielders will truly shine through.

First we'll have to start calling the high strike.

And we'll have to lower salaries to $20,000 per season so the players can't afford to workout all year and become muscle-bound power threats.

And we'll have to stop building tinker-toy sized ballparks like Astros Field, Pac-Bell, Coors, and on and on.

And we'll have to start banning guys for taking those funny vitamin pills.

And we'll have to stop fans from watching ESPN when they replay every single homerun ball hit as though it was the deciding event of every game--even though it usually is, depending on how many men were on base, and how many homeruns the other team got.

Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

:comiskey
"Ah the good ol' days. I'll even charge my guys for cleaning their laundry. Hahahahahahahaha!!!"

:reinsy
"Why didn't I think of that!"

:tool
"Effective immediately, the commissioner's office will enforce the rule regarding every ballplayer being responsible for cleaning his own uniform."

voodoochile
05-15-2002, 12:05 PM

Well I won't and can't argue with those stats Soxheads , but I do wish you would prioritize before you criticize. Who is depended on to carry the team - Thomas or Clayton? Who is depended on to hit?
Let me throw out this one: Maybe Clayton would be outhitting Thomas if it was the only thing he had to concentrate on. I mean, Clayton's shoulders can barely hold a bat after carrying the pitchers with his defense. :o:

Do you even believe the crap you post?

pearso66
05-15-2002, 05:04 PM
now i havnt finished reading all of this thread, so i dont know if anyone has said this, but they keep making a big deal on how royce is errorless this year, but ive seen him given at least 3 errors, and then they took them away, and then i saw other plays where he's deserved an error, and they gave the batter a hit, if you ask me, he's not as good as his "errorless" play is looking

Soxheads
05-15-2002, 05:14 PM

First of all, Thomas is probably more important to this team than Clayton. Look what happened last year. Thomas was out and the Sox couldn't stop the landslide. Granted Thomas is depended on to hit better, and I'd like to see him hit better.

How can you say that Clayton carries the team with his defense? I'd like an answer to that one.

Kilroy
05-15-2002, 05:18 PM
How can you say that Clayton carries the team with his
defense? I'd like an answer to that one.

Well, at the very least, each player has a role on the team and he's carrying his part of the load. Carrying the team? Ummmm, no.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-15-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
now i havnt finished reading all of this thread, so i dont know if anyone has said this, but they keep making a big deal on how royce is errorless this year, but ive seen him given at least 3 errors, and then they took them away, and then i saw other plays where he's deserved an error, and they gave the batter a hit, if you ask me, he's not as good as his "errorless" play is looking

Okay, this is the point where someone jumps on you with blood vessels bursting in the corner of their eyes, pointing a finger and exclaiming, "YOUR BLIND HATRED OF ROYCE PREVENTS YOU FROM ADMITTING HIS TRUE VALUE TO THIS TEAM!"

Then they leave, satisfied (in their own mind) they've won the argument.

At least that's how it used to be.

:gulp:

Soxheads
05-15-2002, 05:25 PM

Okay, this is the point where someone jumps on you with blood vessels bursting in the corner of their eyes, pointing a finger and exclaiming, "YOUR BLIND HATRED OF ROYCE PREVENTS YOU FROM ADMITTING HIS TRUE VALUE TO THIS TEAM!"

Then they leave, satisfied (in their own mind) they've won the argument.

At least that's how it used to be.

:gulp:

:smile: My hatred of Royce dosen't stop me from admitting his value to the team.

Sure, he has above-average defense. After that there isn't much else outside of his commerical-making ability, which, might I add, is far from great.

pearso66
05-15-2002, 05:33 PM
sure i dont like royce, but what are you gonna do, if he's playing well, let him play, if not, sit him, but i'll say that for anyone, if konerko, maggs, lofton, etc go on a bad streak, sit them, let them have a day off to think about it, but do they do that for royce? no, they did it for lee, i dont care who it is, and the only reason i speak up on royce, is that i aws just saying what ive noticed, he shouldnt be errorless, someone must like him to keep him that way

Soxheads
05-15-2002, 05:37 PM
i dont care who it is, and the only reason i speak up on royce, is that i aws just saying what ive noticed, he shouldnt be errorless, someone must like him to keep him that way

"'Small, unmarked bills'"

bjmarte
05-15-2002, 05:38 PM

:smile: My hatred of Royce dosen't stop me from admitting his value to the team.

LOL

"I appreciate that, I think."

voodoochile
05-15-2002, 05:42 PM
sure i dont like royce, but what are you gonna do, if he's playing well, let him play, if not, sit him, but i'll say that for anyone, if konerko, maggs, lofton, etc go on a bad streak, sit them, let them have a day off to think about it, but do they do that for royce? no, they did it for lee, i dont care who it is, and the only reason i speak up on royce, is that i aws just saying what ive noticed, he shouldnt be errorless, someone must like him to keep him that way

"Thanks Uncle Jerry."

"How are we supposed to nickel and dime our way to the World Series if you idiot fans keep insisting on benching my nephew?"

:KW
"Now you're catching on... blame the fans..."

:reinsy
"giggle..."

Soxheads
05-15-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by bjmarte

LOL

"I appreciate that, I think."

"That's Royce's problem at the plate. He thinks too fast. He overloads his own brain, because of his vast mental capacity."

ode to veeck
05-15-2002, 11:03 PM
And naturally the GM is going to trot out the same excuse he has been using since last winter, "We can't afford a pitcher."

I thought it was "we can't afford the team we have!"

SosaNavaroSUCK
05-16-2002, 04:28 PM
Then Bayor should have been fired last season. Manuel is fine...

p.s.

screw cansecos book, i could write a book about a guy who got hit in the head with a ball for a home run, drank and took steroids, and a guy who got crabs from Madona

:canseco