PDA

View Full Version : Freddy signs with tiggers

thedudeabides
08-12-2008, 02:41 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/08/12/garcia.tigers/index.html

Jaysox
08-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Somebody is desperate.

palehozenychicty
08-12-2008, 02:45 PM
I think he's close to done.

Foulke You
08-12-2008, 02:48 PM
The Tigers are becoming like the Yankees. Keep throwing money at your problems and eventually, evertything will be ok. I'm a huge Freddy Garcia fan and wish him the best but if he is only hitting 84-86mph on the gun as the article says...he is going to get lit up.

Jaffar
08-12-2008, 03:15 PM
The best part of that is the picture of the Big hurt next to the MLB tab at the top. For a minor league deal, I'm surprised he's not with a contender.

the1tab
08-12-2008, 03:18 PM
This lines up well for the Sox chances... I like the move from a "they just got worse" perspective. Perhaps they'll bring back Dontrelle?

Jimmy Piersall
08-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Let's hope Freddy does great...against the Twins.

jdm2662
08-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Too bad he didn't win game 5 of the 2005 ALCS...

Palehose Pete
08-12-2008, 04:00 PM
http://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/cracked/img/articles/mquote/rounders.jpg

"Bad judgment! Your hopes? Dashed. Your dreams? Down the toilet."

The Tigers are desperate.

turners56
08-12-2008, 04:17 PM
The Tigers are pretty much done, this move doesn't do much of anything. Zach Miner's actually better than Freddy.

getonbckthr
08-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi 3 years ago how you doing?

kba
08-12-2008, 04:39 PM

Good catch.

jdm2662
08-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi 3 years ago how you doing?

Read the article. It says he pitched in the clinching game in the ALCS, which he did not do. Just pointing out inaccuracy in the article, that's all... I already know he's toast and probably won't be helpful this year.

mccoydp
08-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Forgive me if this was posted anywhere else, but I didn't see it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8443114/Garcia-agrees-to-minor-league-deal-with-Tigers

EDIT: Yikes! I was merged! Don't know how I missed yesterday's post.

JorgeFabregas
11-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Freddy hurt himself an a winter league game:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081128&content_id=3695236&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

RKMeibalane
11-28-2008, 03:47 PM
The best part of that is the picture of the Big hurt next to the MLB tab at the top. For a minor league deal, I'm surprised he's not with a contender.

I think we've seen the last of Frank as an active player. I'm looking forward to his HOF speech in five years.

jabrch
11-28-2008, 05:01 PM
I think we've seen the last of Frank as an active player. I'm looking forward to his HOF speech in five years.

Is he a lock to be a 1st ballot HOFer?

I know you would vote for him. So would I. But will he get enough votes - FIRST BALLOT? I'm not certain...He will get lumped in with the steroid era and the small parks era and some will adjust his numbers when considering him.

I know he gets in soon...just not sure he does on first try.

RKMeibalane
11-28-2008, 05:21 PM

I know you would vote for him. So would I. But will he get enough votes - FIRST BALLOT? I'm not certain...He will get lumped in with the steroid era and the small parks era and some will adjust his numbers when considering him.

He's not a lock, and he has some things working against him (being a DH for a large part of his career; playing in the "steroid era"), but I think people will have more appreciation for his accomplishments once they're able to look at his career as a whole. We'll have to see what happens.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-28-2008, 05:44 PM

This is an interesting question. With Thomas's retirement so close to Bonds', the media talking heads will be flapping their gums heavily over why they did or didn't vote for this guy or that guy based on steroid use or flax seed use or Phil Rogers-like confessionals over their own culpability for letting Scammy get away with Flinstone vitamin defenses, etcetera...

I'm predicting Frank and his Ted Williams-like numbers will come off quite well in these comparisons. The dumbass **** he was always pasted for during his career (like not running Jerry Manuel's stupid shuttle run), will be long-forgotten.

Frank's numbers are honest (by everyone's account) and simply incredible compared to everyone's of the same era besides those caught juicing, admitting to performance-enhancers, or flat-out lying under oath... with one notable exception...

:nandrolone
"Si, Senator. No habla ingles!"

RKMeibalane
11-28-2008, 07:34 PM
This is an interesting question. With Thomas's retirement so close to Bonds', the media talking heads will be flapping their gums heavily over why they did or didn't vote for this guy or that guy based on steroid use or flax seed use or Phil Rogers-like confessionals over their own culpability for letting Scammy get away with Flinstone vitamin defenses, etcetera...

I'm predicting Frank and his Ted Williams-like numbers will come off quite well in these comparisons. The dumbass **** he was always pasted for during his career (like not running Jerry Manuel's stupid shuttle run), will be long-forgotten.

Frank's numbers are honest (by everyone's account) and simply incredible compared to everyone's of the same era besides those caught juicing, admitting to performance-enhancers, or flat-out lying under oath... with one notable exception...

:nandrolone
"Si, Senator. No habla ingles!"

I'm glad you mentioned this, George. As we've talked about before, it's going to be interesting to see players like Thomas and Griffey go up against Bonds, Sosa, McLiar, etc. The way the HOF voting goes will tell us a lot as far as what the past 15-20 years in baseball have really been about. Is the media going to honor the men who played the game the right way, or are they going to continue to miss the big picture?

jabrch
11-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Yes - that was my point - I don't know how the media will treat Frank now. There's a bit of mistique around "first ballot" and a lot of guys just won't vote a guy on his first ballot. (Nolan Ryan only got 98.8% of the vote) and there are others who won't vote a guy unless they feel he is at the level of elite that few ever see. Frank, you can argue, fits in that second group. I wonder what the media will do.

Rdy2PlayBall
11-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Yes - that was my point - I don't know how the media will treat Frank now. There's a bit of mistique around "first ballot" and a lot of guys just won't vote a guy on his first ballot. (Nolan Ryan only got 98.8% of the vote) and there are others who won't vote a guy unless they feel he is at the level of elite that few ever see. Frank, you can argue, fits in that second group. I wonder what the media will do.Maybe his later years but there is no arguing with that huge chunk in the middle when he was amazing. :rolleyes:

Oblong
11-28-2008, 10:26 PM
FWIW, I consider myself pretty objective regarding Thomas and I would put it at 80% he gets in on the first ballot. I think being lumped in that era helps him because he's been not only "Not Guilty" in terms of there never being any allegations, but he's been out in front against the junk. He's a guy that 5 years will help. Right now the non Sox baseball fan thinks of Thomas as a fat guy bouncing around from team to team. Wait 5 years and we'll go back to remembering the hitting machine that was like Pujols is today.

Assuming he retires or doesn't play anymore, he'll be around Mussina, Biggio, Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, Schilling, Sosa, Mussina, Bernie Williams, Bagwell, Pameiro.... those are guys who would be on the ballot in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 and I think will garner the most votes. Obviously not all will, or should, get in. But these will be the those discussed. This isn't counting the guys still active.

Lip Man 1
11-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Thomas is a lock to make the Hall. There have only been 14 (I think) players to win a batting title and hit over 400 home runs. The only one's who aren't (yet) in the HOF are frank, Bonds and Sheffield.

I don't think he gets in on the first ballot however, those years as a DH will be held against him, even though he played first base and decently for the first five/six years of his career.

Lip

jabrch
11-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Maybe his later years but there is no arguing with that huge chunk in the middle when he was amazing. :rolleyes:

He was amazing for his entire career...just never a "complete" player. Didn't have a glove for most of his career, and when he did, it was below average.

Thomas is a lock to make the Hall.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

I don't think he gets in on the first ballot however, those years as a DH will be held against him, even though he played first base and decently for the first five/six years of his career.

I just don't know...You can make a case for his bat being truly elite - and worthy of it. Then you can compare him to Molitor, the only player currently in the HOF with his position listed as DH - and Frank's numbers are superior in every way - and Molitor was a 1st ballot guy.

The difference is Molior was the only LOCK in his class. Frank may be a candidate in a very crowded era.

pearso66
11-28-2008, 11:15 PM
I think the only thing that could keep Thomas from being a 1st ballot guy is the class he could be going against. If Johnson, Maddux, Griffey and the like stay for 1 more year, and Thomas retires this year, it's possible he's a 1st ballot guy. If not, it could take 3-5 years for him to get in, but he is a definite hall of famer.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-28-2008, 11:16 PM
How many batting title winners with 500+ home runs and two MVP awards (not counting the third one lost to Jason "I'm Sorry" Giambi by 4 votes) haven't made it into the HOF on the first ballot?

Though I'm sure the biggest neanderthals of the sportswriters' guild will hold the DH years against Thomas, I can't imagine it making enough difference to cost him a first-ballot induction. There simply hasn't been a better untainted hitter the past 50 years in baseball.