PDA

View Full Version : a possible different perspective on 2008

captain54
08-12-2008, 01:54 PM
A few different perspectives on the 2008 season that haven't been mentioned too much around here lately:

the 2008 White Sox are, at this point, pretty close to the win total for
the entire 2007 season, where they finished 24 games out of first.

on the flip side, Detroit and Cleveland have wet the bed in 2008.
only competition is seemingly a Hunter-Santana less Twins club. Also,
a 6 1/2 game lead was blown Bummer

Contreras has not been a consistent starter since mid 2006. His loss is
significant, but there were no guarantees he would have returned to his
former self down the stretch in 2008

the Sox bullpen started to go south when Jenks went down prior to the
All Star break. this led to the overuse of Linebrink, for one, and a few
others, who were asked to fill roles they were not originally slotted for

Ozzie/Kenny Williams are not insane. You will not see Griffey in the
line up on a regular basis if he struggles on the field and at the plate.

For everything that has gone wrong this year, you’d have to say there
are some things that have gone very well….Quentin, Ramirez, the
emergence of Danks and Floyd, Dye, and Uribe at third.

It’s August 12……a lot of time left to go in 2008….on this date in
2005, Sox were around 12 games ahead in the division, and we all know
what a wild ride it was to the end. This thing is far, far from being
decided.

LITTLE NELL
08-12-2008, 02:52 PM
You make some excellent points. May I add that picking up Griffey was a complete waste, we needed pitching and we still do. Right now I see the Sox winning 90 games which should get us in the playoffs but unless we get some pitching and some consistant hitting this could be a repeat of 2000, 3 games and out.

balke
08-12-2008, 02:59 PM
You make some excellent points. May I add that picking up Griffey was a complete waste, we needed pitching and we still do. Right now I see the Sox winning 90 games which should get us in the playoffs but unless we get some pitching and some consistant hitting this could be a repeat of 2000, 3 games and out.

I don't see why they need pitching for the playoffs. The Sox should be very strong pitching in a series.

Buehrle
Danks
Floyd
Vasquez

Thornton
Carrasco
Dotel
Linebrink
Jenks

That's going to be very tough for any team to face if the Sox do in fact make the playoffs. The only question now, is if not having a solid 5 starter or Linebrink this next month and a half will cost them a playoff birth.

Marqhead
08-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Its post like Captain54's that keep me sane. :D:

nasox
08-12-2008, 03:29 PM
I don't see why they need pitching for the playoffs. The Sox should be very strong pitching in a series.

Buehrle
Danks
Floyd
Vasquez

Thornton
Carrasco
Dotel
Linebrink
Jenks

That's going to be very tough for any team to face if the Sox do in fact make the playoffs. The only question now, is if not having a solid 5 starter or Linebrink this next month and a half will cost them a playoff birth.

Danks and Floyd on paper look like they'd do great in the playoffs, but remember, they're young. They have no experience in big games like that and also, they have already put up a bunch of innings this year so we'll have to see how they react to such usage. Despite this, they both could do really well in the playoffs, but it is somewhat of a crapshoot.

LITTLE NELL
08-12-2008, 03:41 PM

Buehrle
Danks
Floyd
Vasquez

Thornton
Carrasco
Dotel
Linebrink
Jenks

I hope you are right, but this pitching staff went from 1st in the AL to 6th in the AL in less than a month.

TomBradley72
08-12-2008, 03:52 PM
This team has a TON of heart and find's a way to keep a level head through the ups and downs. We may come up a little short (can't manufacture runs, lack of organization depth leads to a shredded pitching staff), but a very gutsy team and a very memorable season. Any season where September baseball is meaningful and can lead to October baseball is a fun baseball season.

gogosox16
08-12-2008, 03:53 PM

Buehrle
Danks
Floyd
Vasquez

Thornton
Carrasco
Dotel
Linebrink
Jenks

Vazquez is the only pitcher right now that worries me. He can't pitch in pressure situations and I would not be all against having the 5th starter Carrasco/Broadway etc. being the 4th starter in the playoffs if Javy cant become more consistent and show he can win down the stretch here

thomas35forever
08-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Excellent post. It's true that we have a lot of baseball left to go. The more weeks go by, the better idea we'll have on whether we'll have enough to reach the postseason.

The Milkman
08-12-2008, 04:48 PM
POTY...At least for the ALDS you don't have to use Javy...

Frontman
08-12-2008, 04:55 PM
"That's the spirit! Time to cinch it up and hunkerdown, WSI! We got a HOLE lot of baseball left to be played, daggumit, we ain't done yet. If this team goes on a roll...and I mean a roll; we can easily go up by 4 or 5 games and have the catbird seat. But you cannot count out those Twinkies yet......"

:hawk

sullythered
08-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Danks and Floyd on paper look like they'd do great in the playoffs, but remember, they're young. They have no experience in big games like that and also, they have already put up a bunch of innings this year so we'll have to see how they react to such usage. Despite this, they both could do really well in the playoffs, but it is somewhat of a crapshoot.
Maybe so, but Johnny Danks seems like he has really big, ahem, gumption.

credefan19
08-12-2008, 06:55 PM
you make some excellent points. May i add that picking up griffey was a complete waste, we needed pitching and we still do. Right now i see the sox winning 90 games which should get us in the playoffs but unless we get some pitching and some consistant hitting this could be a repeat of 2000, 3 games and out.
+1

october23sp
08-13-2008, 12:42 AM

In 2005 none of our players had playoff expirience except Contreras and El Duque. Pierzynski had never been out of the first round.

kitekrazy
08-13-2008, 12:59 AM
we needed pitching and we still do.

Who doesn't?

johnnyg83
08-13-2008, 01:21 AM

I say this lovingly, but I think postseason experience is one of the most overrated factors in baseball. The Maddux/Glavine Braves had incredible postseason experience ... but one title less than the Marlins in the same period ... more or less.

The Yankees had unfathomable postseason experience in 2001 and 2003, yet lost the Florida and Arizona.

The Sox had little postseason experience in 2005. The Rockies had no postseason experience last year.

It's more about confidence and skill than experience ... just my due centos.

johnnyg83
08-13-2008, 01:24 AM
and lots of luck