PDA

View Full Version : A Boston fans reviews The Cell

Fenway
08-12-2008, 11:09 AM
My friend Jim who has been on a baseball vacation blogged this morning about his first time at The Cell.

I think you will enjoy his review :D:

A Nation Invades Chicago (and for some they have no choice) (http://bythebanksoftherivercharles.blogspot.com/2008/08/nation-invades-chicago-and-for-some.html)

'The Cell' as the park is called by the locals is a very nice place to watch a game and unlike the ballpark 8 miles to the north the fans know exactly what is happening on the field. This was proven in the sixth inning when White Sox pitcher John Danks hit Jacoby Ellsbury with a pitch and a loud groan was heard as Danks' perfect game was gone. These fans know their baseball and the only pink hats I saw were Boston ones.

chaerulez
08-12-2008, 11:13 AM
This is a bit disturbing. I know Boston has racial problems, but for someone to to feel unsafe at a MLB park in the town of the team they cheer for?

They don't go to Fenway because they can't get or afford tickets but because they fear for their safety because of their race.

Fenway
08-12-2008, 11:19 AM
This is a bit disturbing. I know Boston has racial problems, but for someone to to feel unsafe at a MLB park in the town of the team they cheer for?

They don't go to Fenway because they can't get or afford tickets but because they fear for their safety because of their race.

Sadly that statement is dead on and the same is true for Celtics games.

It is shameful :whiner:

spiffie
08-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Boston is a wonderful city with the most passionate, knowledgeable, classy fans in sports. If I were to ever live in any other city in the world, I would want it to be Boston.

#1swisher
08-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the positive review=more red sox fans at the cell.:tongue:

I attended fri/sat games.

spawn
08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Boston is a wonderful city with the most passionate, knowledgeable, classy fans in sports. If I were to ever live in any other city in the world, I would want it to be Boston.

Not me, and for the above stated reason.

chaerulez
08-12-2008, 11:34 AM

What is wrong with these morons? They'll cheer KG and Paul Pierce but outside the stadium they'll hurl racial slurs at people?

spawn
08-12-2008, 11:39 AM
What is wrong with these morons? They'll cheer KG and Paul Pierce but outside the stadium they'll hurl racial slurs at people?
Without getting political, I'll say that this should come as no surprise. Black entertainers for the most part have generally been accepted, while on stage or in uniform. Once they're done entertaining though.....I remember reading about black entertainers in Las Vegas that couldn't stay at the hotels they performed, or had to use the service entrance.

OK...I'm done.:tongue:

Fenway
08-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Good Gawd

Mike Adams from WEEI was asking to get killed.

http://a566.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/83/l_d77e2971a84dc11cc1b0893af811f505.jpg

I guess they will give media passes to anybody:tongue:

http://weei.com/pages/235699.php?

asindc
08-12-2008, 12:35 PM

SI did a cover story a few years back about the Boston sports climate and its racial environment. ML Carr told a story once of being chased by white teenagers in his car. He finally decided to stop and confront them. When they saw who he was, they said, "Sorry ML, we didn't know it was you."

Many pro athletes put specific clauses in their contracts that they could not be traded to Boston under any circumstances. Tim Raines was one, for example. That's one of the reasons why it was such a big deal for Garnett to go to the Celtics.

Fenway
08-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Dee Brown was lucky he wasn't shot by the police a few years back

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CE1D8123DF93BA15757C0A9679582 60&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

cheezheadsoxfan
08-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Very nice words for the Cell and for Chicago.

The racial thing is awful. I must be more naive than I thought. Really felt that the days of that kind of **** (at least in public) were over. Damn shame.

rocky biddle
08-12-2008, 01:44 PM

Is your teal broken?

Ask anyone that was at the Boston series last year about the "classy" Boston fans. They're just a bunch of NY wannabes. The worst thing that ever happened to that fanbase was the 2004 WS, and the Red Sox's subsequent success. It completely transformed them into everything they hate.

I have been to Boston and really loved it. But their insufferable sports fans, not so much.

To each his own, I guess.

kittle42
08-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Is your teal broken?

Judging from his other posts, he is a non-believer in teal. I tend to agree with that position, but it doesn't help when few others realize it, so I use it when I feel it's absolutely necessary.

chaerulez
08-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Judging from his other posts, he is a non-believer in teal. I tend to agree with that position, but it doesn't help when few others realize it, so I use it when I feel it's absolutely necessary.

If people read any of the recent Boston threads spiffle has repeatedly praised Boston and it's fans. He does so in a manner that I can only assume it is sarcasm.

rocky biddle
08-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Oh. I guess I wasn't picking up what he was putting down. I've never been accused of being smrt.

DumpJerry
08-12-2008, 02:11 PM
I was with a Boston person for Friday's game. It was his first time at Comiskey. Earlier in the day, he did his first trip to The Urinal.

When we came off the ramp onto the Concourse (LD), the first word out of his mouth was "wow!" He loved the wide concourse-told me how cramped and crowded they were at The Urinal and Fenway. He hated just about everything in his experience at The Urinal-the crowded concourse (he was UD there), the bathrooms, the utter lack of information on the scoreboard about the lineups, etc. and crowded seating. He also dissed Fenway for it's ridiculously crowded seating and the fact that the seats at Fenway are angled in such a manner that you have to sit sideways to see the Infield/Home Plate.

We got a huge thumbs up (despite the outcome for The Carmines) from this guy.

He alos gave me a positive review of Camden and the Nat's stadium. When I showed his the statues, he recoiled at the sight of the Fisk statue and said it was sacriligous. He told me that if the Red Sox had treated him better, he would have never left.

jdm2662
08-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Even after all these years, Spiffie never ceases to amaze me. Some things never change. :redneck

tonyho7476
08-12-2008, 02:14 PM
I believe Boston was the very last team to have any black players. It really sounds like a ****ty place for race relations.

Fenway
08-12-2008, 02:22 PM
I believe Boston was the very last team to have any black players. It really sounds like a ****ty place for race relations.

The Red Sox were the last team to have a black player...the immortal Pumpsie Green :?:

For those interested here is a NPR audio clip from 2002 on the problem

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/oct/redsox/

The BRUINS had a black player before the Red Sox

http://www.sportsmansdaily.com/images/willie_oree4.jpg

ajismyhero
08-12-2008, 04:16 PM
I too, was totally naive about the racial problems in Boston and at Fenway, and think that it's terrible that problems like that still exist in today's environment.

In regards to Boston fans as a whole, I have been to Fenway (in 2006) and have to say enjoyed my experience. There was certainly some friendly heckling etc., but nothing too terrible. I've also been to many games at the Cell when the BoSox are in town, and am CONVINCED that the most obnoxious "Boston" fans are actually Cubs fans in costumes. I always believed that, but on Saturday there were a bunch of drunkards several rows in front of me who were bragging about they weren't from Boston, just hated the White Sox because they were Cubs fans. I think the Boston fans were as turned off by their behaviour as I was.

Shame on them. I would never go to Wrigley and cheer for the Cards just cuz.

october23sp
08-12-2008, 04:42 PM

Yep Yawkey was a big racist and was the last owner to sign a black person.

Damn shame we can't get along.

Fenway
08-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Yep Yawkey was a big racist and was the last owner to sign a black person.

Damn shame we can't get along.

The Red Sox had first crack at Jackie Robinson AND Willie Mays and passed on both.

As late as 1966 it was still a problem. Yawkey traded away one of Boston's best pitchers to Detroit for a bucket of balls.

The next season Earl Wilson won 22 games for Detroit.

If Wilson was still there Yawkey most likely would have won the World Series that he wanted more than anything.

SaltyPretzel
08-12-2008, 05:10 PM
If Wilson was still there Yawkey most likely would have won the World Series that he wanted more than anything.

Impossible!!! Everyone knows that it was the Curse of the Bambino that caused their World Series drought instead of the decisions the club made during that time. :rolleyes:

sullythered
08-12-2008, 05:15 PM
I always have had a huge problem with the ridiculous national infatuation with Boston sports. The media romanticizes their history to laughable proportions. That city has always unfortunately had a huge problem with race relations. Also, unfortunately, that is why I believe so many people love it for it's "old school charm." <puke>

I get sick to my stomach when they, as a city, are compared to Chicago. We are more socially integrated and metropolitan than they will ever be.

And I ****ing hate the Red Sox.

soxinem1
08-12-2008, 05:17 PM
When I was a the game last night I had an in-depth discussion with a fellow WHITE SOX fan about BOS fans.

We both rooted for them in 2004 and were happy when the hex ended, as our own did a year later.

But their fans now have a pompus attitude in line with NYY fans, like they are some entitles elitists.

They even paraded around The Cell since 2005 like they were a bunch of Emperor's and Queens. Too bad they looked like a bunch of idiots, especially after we swept them in the ALDS.

If the city of Boston never wins another championship of any kind, I definitely wouldn't care one once.

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I've also been to many games at the Cell when the BoSox are in town, and am CONVINCED that the most obnoxious "Boston" fans are actually Cubs fans in costumes. I always believed that, but on Saturday there were a bunch of drunkards several rows in front of me who were bragging about they weren't from Boston, just hated the White Sox because they were Cubs fans. I think the Boston fans were as turned off by their behaviour as I was.
I bet that a bunch of them are. I noticed that, though there still were a good number of them, there were a lot less Red Sox fans there this year than last year. The St. Louis Cardinals were in town to play the Cubs at the same time. Cub fans actually had a game to go to at the same time the Red Sox were in town to play our team. The Red Sox fans were pretty well-behaved this year. Hmmmm, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a great deal of the actual acts of douchbaggery were by Cub fans pretending to be Red Sox die-hards.
They even paraded around The Cell since 2005 like they were a bunch of Emperor's and Queens. Too bad they looked like a bunch of idiots, especially after we swept them in the ALDS.
There weren't many of them at Comiskey during the 2005 ALDS. I'd say that the crowd had to be 95% White Sox fans, and I'm not even exaggerating. I was at both games.

chaerulez
08-12-2008, 06:03 PM
There weren't many of them at Comiskey during the 2005 ALDS. I'd say that the crowd had to be 95% White Sox fans, and I'm not even exaggerating. I was at both games.

Well in playoff games, season ticket holders take a lot of the tickets where in a regular season game maybe they can't make it so they sell them and it might happen to go to a Red Sox fan. So there are a lot less tickets open to the public, and when those go on sale the home team fans are the ones that grab the majority.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-12-2008, 06:05 PM
The Red Sox had first crack at Jackie Robinson AND Willie Mays and passed on both.

As late as 1966 it was still a problem. Yawkey traded away one of Boston's best pitchers to Detroit for a bucket of balls.

Karma train's a bitch Got what he deserved.

johnr1note
08-12-2008, 06:39 PM
I too, was totally naive about the racial problems in Boston and at Fenway, and think that it's terrible that problems like that still exist in today's environment.

In regards to Boston fans as a whole, I have been to Fenway (in 2006) and have to say enjoyed my experience. There was certainly some friendly heckling etc., but nothing too terrible. I've also been to many games at the Cell when the BoSox are in town, and am CONVINCED that the most obnoxious "Boston" fans are actually Cubs fans in costumes. I always believed that, but on Saturday there were a bunch of drunkards several rows in front of me who were bragging about they weren't from Boston, just hated the White Sox because they were Cubs fans. I think the Boston fans were as turned off by their behaviour as I was.

Shame on them. I would never go to Wrigley and cheer for the Cards just cuz.

This seems to be the truth. Unless you're New England born and bred, the concept of the midwestern BoSox fan is a media creation, just like most Cubs fans. And like most Cubs fans, they are a dime a dozen. I remember hordes of them at the first two ALDS in 2005 -- Red Sox jerseys and shirts and Cub hats, or vice versa.

CMPDragRacing
08-12-2008, 07:06 PM
i usually hit 2 yank and 2 boston games each year, have been doing ti for a few years but didnt get to one this year. i also hit up many other games and in comparison the bosox fans are quickly turning into yankee fans, and that aint a good thing. i didnt go to this series because of it. just didnt want to listen to them.

and whats this teal thing? im new around here sorry just wanted to know what its about.

Fenway
08-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Karma train's a bitch Got what he deserved.
http://www.fenwayfanatics.com/images/redsox/legends/legends_yawkey.jpg

It is shameful he is in the Hall of Fame....of course his wife bought him in.

The real racist in the front office was Mike Higgins

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/image/1955/07/07/001260718.jpg

32nd&Wallace
08-12-2008, 07:32 PM

If Wilson was still there Yawkey most likely would have won the World Series that he wanted more than anything. To be fair, the Red Sox did sign Elston Howard the next year. He stayed in Boston for two more years and was a former Yankee.

Fenway
08-12-2008, 07:34 PM
To be fair, the Red Sox did sign Elston Howard the next year. He stayed in Boston for two more years and was a former Yankee.

Yes but by then Dick O'Connell the GM had complete control of the team.

EuroSox35
08-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Ironic story, I was sitting at the game Sat night, Boston's defense was on the field, and it just hit me, 'wow, this team is exceptionally white'. At the time, I'm pretty sure every position on the field was, except for Daisuke starting and Ortiz as DH.

Had no clue about this culture in Boston though, pretty sad, someone, like a big media outlet *cough yeah right cough* should really call them out on it, instead of spending all their time worshiping everything in the city. Meanwhile, ESPN has criticized White Sox fans multiple times, things like attendance, calling class into question, etc. When you learn about this, it makes them even more disgraceful

rookie
08-12-2008, 08:35 PM

Not me, and for the above stated reason.

Yeah, people don't realize a lot of things they don't have to deal with, but they are quick to denounce it exsits. Alright, that's it for me. But here's a good link about black fans and the Celtics that was written when they were in the finals.

http://www.theroot.com/id/46883

Fenway
08-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah, people don't realize a lot of things they don't have to deal with, but they are quick to denounce it exsits. Alright, that's it for me. But here's a good link about black fans and the Celtics that was written when they were in the finals.

http://www.theroot.com/id/46883

The scoreboard crew is instructed to find blacks in the stands. As a rule they are mostly in the $10 seats in the upper bowl behind the basket.

Boston is far better than it was but much still needs to be done. Look at any crowd shot of Fenway today and it is 99 percent white. The price of the tickets is obviously a factor.

Tragg
08-12-2008, 09:38 PM
It's not just Boston. Cicninnati fans and management drummed Frank Robinson out of town in the mid 1960s. "Ornery" Nice move, Reds.

rookie
08-12-2008, 09:41 PM
The scoreboard crew is instructed to find blacks in the stands. As a rule they are mostly in the $10 seats in the upper bowl behind the basket.

Boston is far better than it was but much still needs to be done. Look at any crowd shot of Fenway today and it is 99 percent white. The price of the tickets is obviously a factor.

Yeah, I've always wondered about that with Wrigley as well. Just from the people I know, the White Sox has a way more diverse fan base, in terms of income levels and race. I still don't know how you could take a family of four or more.

pczarapa
08-12-2008, 09:44 PM
My friend Jim who has been on a baseball vacation blogged this morning about his first time at The Cell.

I think you will enjoy his review :D:

A Nation Invades Chicago (and for some they have no choice) (http://bythebanksoftherivercharles.blogspot.com/2008/08/nation-invades-chicago-and-for-some.html)

Cool review, thanks for passing along. Didn't know Boston was still that bad with race stuff, that's pathetic.

PeteWard
08-13-2008, 12:55 AM
It's not just Boston. Cicninnati fans and management drummed Frank Robinson out of town in the mid 1960s. "Ornery" Nice move, Reds.

Don't forget Philly and Richie Allen.

captainclutch24
08-13-2008, 03:00 AM

you sir ae not very bright, passionate yes, classy negative ghostrider

Mod edit: Do not make personal attacks on other posters. Especially hard-to-understand personal attacks.

grv1974
08-13-2008, 04:29 AM
I was with a Boston person for Friday's game. It was his first time at Comiskey. Earlier in the day, he did his first trip to The Urinal.

You went to a park that no longer exists? Did Sherman and Peabody send you back to the 80's in the wayback machine?

asindc
08-13-2008, 08:38 AM
You went to a park that no longer exists? Did Sherman and Peabody send you back to the 80's in the wayback machine?

Hey, I still call it Comiskey. Glad fans of other teams do too. When U.S. Cellular pays me to call the park by its name, I'll start then.

Back on topic: I find it interesting that so many fans of other teams out here on the East Coast are wary of going to a Sox game, but whenever I talk to someone who has actually been to a Sox game, they come away impressed. Wonder who they been talking to about a Sox game experience...

kittle42
08-13-2008, 10:01 AM

No need for this.

hi im skot
08-13-2008, 10:02 AM

Booooooooo!

jenn2080
08-13-2008, 07:24 PM
I am so glad I missed that series. Good or bad I still hate Boston fans.