PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie as Manager

PhillipsBubba
08-12-2008, 08:54 AM
White Sox Fans...I do not come to bury Ozzie...nor to praise him.

The Sox are where they are not so much because of Ozzie, but in spite of him. He really doesn't do much managing.

Yes he walks out to the mound to change pitchers and harasses an umpire now and then, but when it comes to in-game strategy he mostly sits on his hands. Granted that may be due to the type of team he has but with 40-some games left, I'd like to see him take control of game momentum. Playing for the big inning leads to what we saw last night. Beckett was good and when the Sox are faced with such a pitcher, I'd like to see Ozzie do some things to put pressure on the opposition, a bunt...a stolen base...starting the runner to stay out of the double play. (How ridiculous was it to have AJ hit into three DPs the other night).

Speaking of AJ...get him out of the two hole!

He was slow getting Thornton up in the bullpen last night...and in a close game, why not to have a lefty and a righty working? The bullpen has let him down several times in the second half and I'm sure he's frustrated by it.

Home runs will be more difficult to come by as the season winds down and the pressure builds. I just want the Sox to be aggressive and use every "trick in the book" to win games.

Ozzie's our manager and I hope he remains so.. He says he needs men in order to win the division...men who won't fold under the pressure. Then it's up to him to lead his men to a division crown. He possesses a forceful personality and has a world of experience. He's a World series winning manager. It's time for another one. :gulp:

BRDSR
08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
In my opinion Ozzie is a good clubhouse manager and a decidedly average on-field manager. I don't think the Sox win in spite of him, but I also don't think they win or lose because of him.

Ozzie doesn't deserve very much blame/credit one way or the other.

spawn
08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Wow. Another "Ozzie as manager" thread after a loss. What a shock!:rolleyes:

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-12-2008, 09:01 AM
He's our manager until he leaves or gets fired. While I don't agree with every decision he makes, I love when he speaks his mind because he is honest. He's a hell of a lot better than some of the previous managers we've had. As a fan, I get the right to criticize him anonymously, but won't light him up because of one loss.

Ozzie is the manager of the White Sox.

doublem23
08-12-2008, 09:20 AM
The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

spiffie
08-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Oh if only Razor Shines were still here. He could take over, and make ondafarm his bench coach.

whitem0nkey
08-12-2008, 09:39 AM
when we will look back 10 year from now, we will see this a as golden age in Chicago baseball managers. enjoy the good and bad that comes with it.

BringBackBlkJack
08-12-2008, 09:52 AM
:threadblows:

BainesHOF
08-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Ozzie's best attribute is all the attention he gains for the organization. He's accessible and a great quote. The amount of media coverage for the Sox has increased dramatically since Ozzie became manager. Even when he says dumb, controversial things, the attention the Sox receive for it is better than no attention at all.

Ozzie's worst attribute is how he so badly mismanages a pitching staff. In general, he too often takes out a starter who's pitching well too early, and too often leaves in a starter who's pitching poor for too long. The same often holds true of relievers.

As a stategist, Ozzie is often lacking. I wish he would stop looking into the stands constantly. What's that about?

Ozzie seems to have a good rapport with his players, but over the years talented teams have too often looked listless and flat and underachieved for large stretches, especially in the second half of the season. I'm not sure why we struggle in the second half so much, but it's a pattern.

Optipessimism
08-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Ozzie has a one-dimensional offense and a struggling bullpen, and now there's no fifth starter. If he's looked bad to Sox fans thus far, he'll continue to look worse.

Optipessimism
08-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Ozzie's best attribute is all the attention he gains for the organization. He's accessible and a great quote. The amount of media coverage for the Sox has increased dramatically since Ozzie became manager. Even when he says dumb, controversial things, the attention the Sox receive for it is better than no attention at all.

Ozzie's worst attribute is how he so badly mismanages a pitching staff. In general, he too often takes out a starter who's pitching well too early, and too often leaves in a starter who's pitching poor for too long. The same often holds true of relievers.

As a stategist, Ozzie is often lacking. I wish he would stop looking into the stands constantly. What's that about?

Ozzie seems to have a good rapport with his players, but over the years talented teams have too often looked listless and flat and underachieved for large stretches, especially in the second half of the season. I'm not sure why we struggle in the second half so much, but it's a pattern.
It's a lot easier to look listless, struggle, and underachieve when your team does not play fundamentally sound baseball.

About managing his starters though, he's had to ease along Floyd and Danks and there have been issues where he was damned if you do, damned if you don't in terms of going to the bullpen. Sure he's not perfect, but our club is going to make a lot of managers look bad, especially over the 2nd half.

A. Cavatica
08-12-2008, 06:55 PM
I wonder how much Ozzie's bullpen woes are due to Ozzie -- it seems he uses two pitchers more per night than anyone...

Nellie_Fox
08-13-2008, 12:52 AM
He's limited to playing with the material he has. The Sox are slow and not particularly good bat handlers. They hit lots of home runs. This does not lend itself to doing a lot of hit and run, sacrificing, squeeze bunting, etc. You have to play Earl Weaver baseball; wait for the three-run homer.

He has called the hit and run when he's had the right combination, but that's not very often.

whitesox901
08-13-2008, 01:45 PM
**** Ozzie, wheres Terry?????

In all seriousness, Ozzie is pretty good, Cant say we'd of done the same with some other guy, but I wouldnt trade Ozzie in yet

tonyho7476
08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
All I know is that he is the only manager to lead us to a world series title...so he can keep the job as long as he wants it.

schmitty9800
08-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Until KW gives him a fast roster that doesn't depend on the long ball, he'll always need to manage this way. Can't argue with the results this year so far.