PDA

View Full Version : Brett Myers again

SOXPHILE
08-11-2008, 04:31 PM
I don't know if anyone saw this from Saturday nights' Phillies-Pirates game, but Brett Myers got into an argument with Charlie Manuel in the dugout after being taken out in the 8th inning. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with this wifebeating ******* ?

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080809&content_id=3283887&vkey=news_phi&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi

doublem23
08-11-2008, 04:50 PM
You've never seen a player and manager get in argument before? :scratch:

SOXPHILE
08-11-2008, 04:59 PM
You've never seen a player and manager get in argument before? :scratch:

Well, yeah, but this guy does seem to "have a track record" of being quite the immature imbecile, as they would say in some countries.....

tstrike2000
08-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Between all his incidents, he commonly finds himself on many people's worst person of the week or month lists. He hasn't figured out what anger management is.

doublem23
08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Well, yeah, but this guy does seem to "have a track record" of being quite the immature imbecile, as they would say in some countries.....

Could you be any more judgmental or self-righteous? I'm not defending Myers' actions that lead to his arrest, but its been nearly two years since the case was droppped by his wife.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/14352520/

People make mistakes and he's appeared to have taken steps to fight his demons.

The guy lost his cool because he was upset. He made a terrible mistake 2 years ago. Connecting the two because you have an axe to grind against Brett Myers is pretty petty, IMO.

hi im skot
08-11-2008, 05:56 PM
He's a grade-A douche.

chaerulez
08-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Could you be any more judgmental or self-righteous? I'm not defending Myers' actions that lead to his arrest, but its been nearly two years since the case was droppped by his wife.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/14352520/

People make mistakes and he's appeared to have taken steps to fight his demons.

The guy lost his cool because he was upset. He made a terrible mistake 2 years ago. Connecting the two because you have an axe to grind against Brett Myers is pretty petty, IMO.

The fact his wife dropped the charges means nothing, plenty of witnesses saw him punch her in the face. That incident and then when he called the beat reporter "retarded" and tried to get physical with him I think is enough evidence that this guy is likely a big jackass. What do you expect people to think of this guy?

Brian26
08-11-2008, 08:51 PM
The fact his wife dropped the charges means nothing, plenty of witnesses saw him punch her in the face.

I know this is an extremely touchy subject and by no means is this a defense of wife-beating, but if you read that story, it seems that both Myers and his wife are to blame for what happened.

thomas35forever
08-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Brett already showed this year that even if you are a real douche, you can win over fans that don't know you by pranking one of your fellow pitchers. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, take a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nKKqPOiJxI

chaerulez
08-11-2008, 11:01 PM
I know this is an extremely touchy subject and by no means is this a defense of wife-beating, but if you read that story, it seems that both Myers and his wife are to blame for what happened.

I don't know, the account I heard was there was a heated argument and she pushed him and then he punched her in the face and also pulled her hair. Still doesn't seem like it was justified.

doublem23
08-11-2008, 11:10 PM
I don't know, the account I heard was there was a heated argument and she pushed him and then he punched her in the face and also pulled her hair. Still doesn't seem like it was justified.

The guy made 1 mistake, while drunk, in the heat of the moment. He's been pretty clean in the two years that have followed, attending marriage counseling and is still with his wife and children. If that's not a guy that's earned some redemption, I don't know what is.

The world's not just black and white. I'm not saying we need to canonize Brett Myers, and I'm not even saying you need to personally like him, but to constantly vilify the guy for what looks like an isolated incident makes you look extremely petty.

SOXPHILE
08-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Sorry, but a man, a 6'4" man, punching his wife in the face, in front of several witnesses to boot, I don't chalk that up as just "ahh, he just made one mistake, he was drunk, etc." There is no excuse for that. Then, on top of that, he goes off on that reporter last year after he blew a game. I realize he was mad, but for gods sake, he openly threatned the guy with bodily harm. (To which I would have responded "I thought you only hit women ?"). This guy seems to have a pattern of behavior that I find pretty despicable. If that makes me self righteous and condescending, so be it. The guy's a piece of crap that I'd like to see taken down a few notches.

chaerulez
08-12-2008, 12:08 PM
The guy made 1 mistake, while drunk, in the heat of the moment. He's been pretty clean in the two years that have followed, attending marriage counseling and is still with his wife and children. If that's not a guy that's earned some redemption, I don't know what is.

The world's not just black and white. I'm not saying we need to canonize Brett Myers, and I'm not even saying you need to personally like him, but to constantly vilify the guy for what looks like an isolated incident makes you look extremely petty.

But the point is, it doesn't seem like an isolated incident. He got himself in the news by using the word "retarded" as an insult (which I've seen people get banned for that at this site, so while that word doesn't bother me at all it apparently does to some people). And then tried to fight the reporter. I'm not going to say he's a bad guy, but I will say he seems like a loudmouth with an anger problem and it's easy to see why people think he's a dochue bag. I don't know who will remember this, but when Julio Lugo was with the Astros he got released because he hit his wife. Lugo has stayed out of the news and therefore he doesn't make himself a target for ridicule for his previous domestic incident. An argument with a manager is a non story, but it can become a story depending on who the player or manager is.

doublem23
08-12-2008, 12:47 PM
But the point is, it doesn't seem like an isolated incident. He got himself in the news by using the word "retarded" as an insult (which I've seen people get banned for that at this site, so while that word doesn't bother me at all it apparently does to some people). And then tried to fight the reporter. I'm not going to say he's a bad guy, but I will say he seems like a loudmouth with an anger problem and it's easy to see why people think he's a dochue bag. I don't know who will remember this, but when Julio Lugo was with the Astros he got released because he hit his wife. Lugo has stayed out of the news and therefore he doesn't make himself a target for ridicule for his previous domestic incident. An argument with a manager is a non story, but it can become a story depending on who the player or manager is.

Hey, I'm not saying Brett Myers isn't a douchebag. The domestic abuse, however, looks like an isolated incident. That was my only point.