PDA

View Full Version : Is Poreda a 5th Starter Option??

officerron
08-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Towards the end, Phil Rogers casually mentions it as an idea:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080809-cubs-white-sox-chicago-cta-rogers,1,918519.column

If we fail to land a proven stopgate 5th starter, do you think KW would consider Poreda an option? I know there has been worry about his lack of a secondary pitch, but I haven't seen him pitch so I don't know how good his other pitches are.

Part of me thinks it won't happen because it'll start his clock as a big leaguer a lot sooner then they planned, but part of me wouldn't rule it out 100%. It just intrigued me that Phil would mention that as a realistic possibility in his eyes...

Daver
08-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Poreda would get killed by MLB hitters.

balke
08-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Poreda was drafted as a project I think. He'll take time to develop pitches to compliment his fastball. I myself don't really expect to see him for at least 2 more seasons. I do expect to see him though, and do think he'll be a legit MLB starter if they develop him properly.

chaerulez
08-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Poreda getting his MLB debut before David Price? Don't count on it.

officerron
08-11-2008, 12:18 PM

LOL true. Hey, it was Phil Rogers' idea, not mine. But I'd rather have Carrasco in the long relief role as supposed to the 5th starter. Ideal situation is Broadway steps in and lives up to his hype, but the odds are stacked against him for that.

We shall see....

Domeshot17
08-11-2008, 12:20 PM
I sure hope not. I think he is destined to become a LH set up man or closer, but either way he isn't ready for anything yet. We had a lefty here in 2006 and 2007 who threw really hard without much secondary stuff named Andrew Sisco, that worked out well. Why ruin the only real prospect we have (until Beckham signs).

wxkid23
08-11-2008, 12:24 PM
He has big league stuff but I woulden't throw him into the fire with the #s he has right now. He is well below a strike out an inning in the minors and that doesnt equate very well for a "power" pitcher in the majors.

oeo
08-11-2008, 12:27 PM
I sure hope not. I think he is destined to become a LH set up man or closer, but either way he isn't ready for anything yet. We had a lefty here in 2006 and 2007 who threw really hard without much secondary stuff named Andrew Sisco, that worked out well. Why ruin the only real prospect we have (until Beckham signs).

Except Sisco's main problem was he couldn't throw the ball over the plate.

If Poreda can throw strikes, he could be an option for the pen in September. Even David Aardsma survived on just his fastball for a month. No way I throw a two-pitch pitcher into the rotation, though.

doublem23
08-11-2008, 12:27 PM

The Rays also aren't trading for Horacio Ramirez and Franklyn German, either.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-11-2008, 12:30 PM

I agree; he should not make his MLB debut before Price.

However, the Sox organization is notorious for pushing their prospects through the system quickly. Then, after they're rushed to the majors, and, naturally, they fail immediately, the Sox quickly give up on them after just a brief stint in the majors. And, perhaps, because they were rushed when not ready, their careers are ruined.

Richard this year is a good example. He was in high A last year, started in AA this year, moved up to AAA, and then brought up to the majors in July. He was not ready. People can say he will never be ready, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt. He has talent and needs to spend at least another year developing his skills. He is only 24. Let him spend all of next year in AAA and see how he develops as a pitcher.

Would I be surprised to see Poreda, who is nowhere near ready for the majors, being called up this year? No.

champagne030
08-11-2008, 12:30 PM
The Rays also aren't trading for Horacio Ramirez and Franklyn German, either.

We don't want Bradford, but we do want German? :scratch:

wxkid23
08-11-2008, 12:32 PM
We don't want Bradford, but we do want German? :scratch:

Maybe some bad blood between Bradford and the Sox? I doubt it but who knows.

oeo
08-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Maybe some bad blood between Bradford and the Sox? I doubt it but who knows.

Exactly...who knows why they didn't trade for him? Maybe they tried.

All I know is this Bradford crap is getting old. He's not on the White Sox, get over it.

JermaineDye05
08-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Poreda needs more time in the minors, bringing him up right now would be a disaster.

wealz07
08-11-2008, 07:18 PM
The question shouldn't be is Poreda ready, it should be is he better than Broadway?

Daver
08-11-2008, 07:30 PM
The question shouldn't be is Poreda ready, it should be is he better than Broadway?

At this point? Not even close.

LoveYourSuit
08-11-2008, 07:43 PM
I still feel that Poreda can help us big time as a LH arm in the pen. The leeague does not have a book on him yet and for 7 weeks he can get away with just flame throwing for an inning every 2-3 days in relief.

I mean if we put up with Crap man Logan for so long, the bar is not that high for a 2nd LH relief guy in our pen.

wealz07
08-11-2008, 07:54 PM
I still feel that Poreda can help us big time as a LH arm in the pen. The leeague does not have a book on him yet and for 7 weeks he can get away with just flame throwing for an inning every 2-3 days in relief.

I mean if we put up with Crap man Logan for so long, the bar is not that high for a 2nd LH relief guy in our pen.

Right. And the one thing we know he does is throw strikes. My thinking is that they'll start off using Carrasco in the 5th spot. If that fails, they'll go with Ramirez and fill his spot in the pen with Poreda.

thedudeabides
08-12-2008, 10:50 AM
This is more Phil Rogers crap. Poreda is far from ready to be starting, at this level.

Just my personal opionion, but I've sort of always thought the Sox will eventually use Poreda in a trade. He has a huge ceiling, with questionable secondary stuff. But, you may be able to get really high value for him. Either way, he is not ready to start.

chaerulez
08-12-2008, 11:01 AM
I agree; he should not make his MLB debut before Price.

However, the Sox organization is notorious for pushing their prospects through the system quickly. Then, after they're rushed to the majors, and, naturally, they fail immediately, the Sox quickly give up on them after just a brief stint in the majors. And, perhaps, because they were rushed when not ready, their careers are ruined.

Richard this year is a good example. He was in high A last year, started in AA this year, moved up to AAA, and then brought up to the majors in July. He was not ready. People can say he will never be ready, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt. He has talent and needs to spend at least another year developing his skills. He is only 24. Let him spend all of next year in AAA and see how he develops as a pitcher.

Would I be surprised to see Poreda, who is nowhere near ready for the majors, being called up this year? No.

Yeah, my point was if Poreda makes his debut before Price one of three things have probably happened:

1) The Sox are in big trouble and have absolutely no depth in starting pitching due to injuries or some freak happenings.

2) Poreda got really good in a quick amount of time in some unexplained way.

3) Price gets injured.

Of course number two is pretty unrealistic, three is also unlikely and that leaves number one. If Poreda comes on the field as a member of the White Sox MLB team, it's most likely a bad thing.

jabrch
08-12-2008, 11:02 AM
This is more Phil Rogers crap. Poreda is far from ready to be starting, at this level.

Just my personal opionion, but I've sort of always thought the Sox will eventually use Poreda in a trade. He has a huge ceiling, with questionable secondary stuff. But, you may be able to get really high value for him. Either way, he is not ready to start.

I was hoping he'd go to Colorado for Fuentes. I hear their asking price was insane for Fuentes- and that they are willing to take draft pick compensation if he walks - but that they really want to resign him.