PDA

View Full Version : Bob Grim Interview

Lip Man 1
08-10-2008, 08:04 PM
If you’ve ever wanted to know about the issues regarding WCIU coverage of White Sox games, this is the interview for you....

If you’ve ever wanted to know about the possibility of a future White Sox TV Network, this is the interview for you....

If you’ve ever looked at the Sox schedule and thought, ‘this is strange…’ this is the interview for you....

If you are wondering what might happen to the current Sox broadcasters say next season, this is the interview for you....

Bob Grim is the White Sox Senior Director Of Business Development & Broadcasting and has been a part of the organization since 1990. The issues listed above are directly in his area of responsibility. He discusses them and a lot more in his interview with White Sox Interactive.

A baseball lifer, from a baseball family Bob also talks about his relationship with the game and his uncle, former Yankee pitcher Bob Grim. I hope you’ll enjoy it!

Lip

Noneck
08-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Very insightful interview. Before reading the article I expected that his functions would cross paths with Eddie Einhorn. Is Einhorn involved with the Sox media department in any way these days?

WhiteSox5187
08-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Good interview, but I find it hard to believe that the Sox don't have any pre-1981 Sox footage.

Rohan
08-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Umm where's the interview?

voodoochile
08-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Umm where's the interview?

On the home page...

MrRoboto83
08-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Excellent interview Lip! not to encouraging on the blackout rules when Grim said "he was not to go there" on trying to get southwest Michigan in Sox game coverage. I get so pissed at these blackout rules to me it make no sense at all.

Noneck
08-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Good interview, but I find it hard to believe that the Sox don't have any pre-1981 Sox footage.

Maybe the chairman used the 2nd Veeck era footage for kindling in his fireplace?

Lip Man 1
08-11-2008, 12:09 AM
This and that:

Rohan here you go:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3669

----------

Noneck:

Eddie really doesn't get directly involved in the broadcasting end anymore. He's had health issues the past few years (had a kidney transplant...) and is now more in a retirement mode.

Also I have heard talk, I can not confirm this, that when the team was sold the Veeck family took any footage that may have been around.

Regarding WGN, Rich King in his interview with WSI, said that the "morgue" at WGN includes very little footage before 1983. MLB Productions does have some footage here and there but not a lot.

The reason for that (and Bob confirmed this story) was that in the 70's when TV stations were switching from film to ENG equipment (Electronic News Gathering equipment / video tape for short) stations simply threw out the film reels that they had. They didn't realize that anyone would want it and it had to be stored in climate controlled warehouses or else the film would fall apart in less than a decade. (Having worked in Louisiana where it's 90 degrees and 90 per cent humidity I can confirm what happened to our video tape footage after a few years!) Those stations were not about to spend the money for this.

WGN was one of those who threw out reels and reels of film footage of the Sox and Cubs from the 1950's and early 1960's when they moved into their "new" facilities on Bradley Place in 1962.

Sad but true.

Lip

Noneck
08-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Lip, Thanks for the answers.

Interesting to see his comment about rotating TV and radio announcers during the game. I hope that won't mean that Harrelson will tell the same story to each announcer , once is bad enough.

WhiteSox5187
08-11-2008, 08:55 AM
This and that:

Rohan here you go:

----------

Noneck:

Eddie really doesn't get directly involved in the broadcasting end anymore. He's had health issues the past few years (had a kidney transplant...) and is now more in a retirement mode.

Also I have heard talk, I can not confirm this, that when the team was sold the Veeck family took any footage that may have been around.

Regarding WGN, Rich King in his interview with WSI, said that the "morgue" at WGN includes very little footage before 1983. MLB Productions does have some footage here and there but not a lot.

The reason for that (and Bob confirmed this story) was that in the 70's when TV stations were switching from film to ENG equipment (Electronic News Gathering equipment / video tape for short) stations simply threw out the film reels that they had. They didn't realize that anyone would want it and it had to be stored in climate controlled warehouses or else the film would fall apart in less than a decade. (Having worked in Louisiana where it's 90 degrees and 90 per cent humidity I can confirm what happened to our video tape footage after a few years!) Those stations were not about to spend the money for this.

WGN was one of those who threw out reels and reels of film footage of the Sox and Cubs from the 1950's and early 1960's when they moved into their "new" facilities on Bradley Place in 1962.

Sad but true.

Lip
Lip, so if WGN lost a bunch of '50s and '60s Sox footage, do they have any from the '70s? Like any clips from Veeck's second time around as the team like the '77 Hitmen? Or is that something that Reisendorf just wouldn't want to release?

kba
08-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Interesting comments on the possibility of WGN picking up more Sox games. I've read quotes from Zell's people that they want to make baseball a centerpiece of "WGN America" (the new name for Superstation WGN), so maybe that mean the WCIU games go back on WGN next season.

TommyJohn
08-11-2008, 10:02 AM
This and that:

Rohan here you go:

----------

Noneck:

Sad but true.

Lip

What about other teams? Surely one or two AL teams would have footage laying around that could include the Sox. No? I am sure this avenue was explored already. I remember seeing some early 70's footage on the White Sox history tape hosted by Jean Shepard. Is any of that still around?

What about you, Lip? Your library is quite extensive, as you have said in the past. What do you have, if anything?

kba
08-11-2008, 11:33 AM
What about other teams? Surely one or two AL teams would have footage laying around that could include the Sox. No? I am sure this avenue was explored already. I remember seeing some early 70's footage on the White Sox history tape hosted by Jean Shepard. Is any of that still around?

What about you, Lip? Your library is quite extensive, as you have said in the past. What do you have, if anything?

WGN does have archive tapes of their nightly newscasts dating back at least to the early 70's, and most of the newscasts during the summer included highlights of that day's Sox game. It's not much - only about a minute or so per game, but it still should exist.

A few seasons ago, each WGN Sox telecast included a short "Today in Sox History" feature that I believe was compiled using the newscast footage. It included a lot of footage from the 70's red-uniform era.

As others have mentioned, it would surprise me if anybody routinely saved tapes of entire games in the 70's. Videotape was expensive in those days, and both WSNS and the ballclub were low-budget operations. And the Sox didn't play in the kind of historic games (no-hitters, pennant clinchers, etc.) that would lead anybody to put away the tape for future generations.

Lip Man 1
08-11-2008, 11:35 AM
This and That:

Yes there is some footage around from the 1970's (generally more from the end part of the decade then the start of it...)

However the issue regarding Sox footage and the possibility of using it via a new White Sox TV network is that very few complete games remain. There are highlights, parts of games but very few complete ones. There are more complete games from radio then TV remaining...far more.

Jerry Reinsdorf has no authority to prevent footage from being released, (nor does any owner) that all comes under the jurisdiction of MLB. HOWEVER they do impose really harsh conditions for even mainstream TV stations to use it.

For example MLB charges 15 HUNDRED DOLLARS A MINUTE for ANY footage that they supply, be it TV footage, film clips.... anything.

To me that's preposterous and how charging that fee helps "promote" the game is a mystery I can't figure out. They should be making it available free or for a small fee since it's promoting the sport.

If a TV station say needs footage of Pete Ward (if any still exists) and they don't have anything in their library, MLB will charge them that amount if they have to send it to said station.

Strange but true.

TJ as far as yours truly. I do have some TV game footage as far back as May 1970 when the Sox played at Boston but it's only in fair condition. I keep it because it's better than nothing. I sent it to Bart Johnson for example because it had some shots of him pitching.

I have clips and highlights both audio and video (this story has audio highlights from both sources for example: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2361)
from the decade including stuff on Dick Allen, Goose Gossage, Richie Zisk and so forth but again it's not a whole hell of a lot. I got some of it via the official White Sox history tape, some of it off WGN when they were having the 30th anniversary of the Illinois Lottery (they showed something from 1974 in every WGN Sox game in 2004) and rarely the WGN Sports will have something. (I tape it every night...) As far as the magical season of 1977, in 2002 a Sox game on WGN ended early and they needed to fill time so they ran a seven minute piece on the 25th anniversary of the South Side Hitmen narrated by Dan Roan. I was very glad I was taping because that did have numerous clips from TV coverage that season (I don't know if it came from a Sox broadcast or not) including Zisk's rooftop home run and home run into the original center field bleachers. It had Soderholm's home run on the Game of the Week against the Royals in July 77 and some great catches by Chet Lemon. Truly magnificent piece! I do have complete games from radio of the 1970's including the famous Dick Allen Taco Game in 1972 from the Yankees Radio Network and a Sox / Boston game from July 1977.

I have a lot of radio highlights from the 1970's including the 9th inning of Stan Bahnsen's near no hitter in Cleveland in 1973, Allen's center field bleacher shot HR in 1972, Ken Brett's near no hitter in Anaheim in 1976 and Lorn Brown going completely nuts in a dramatic win over the Royals in July 1977.

It's like a treasure hunt, you never know where you are going to find something.

Lip

Noneck
08-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Lip,

Do you have the infamous clip of Reinsdorf calling Harry scum? Or did you say you saw it?

Lip Man 1
08-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Noneck:

I do have it as part of the post game locker room coverage from September 1983.

Lip

Mark
08-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Lip:

When I saw the featured name of your latest interview, I thought it was this guy :D:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINNESOTA-VIKINGS-BOB-GRIM-SIGNED-8X10--PHOTO_W0QQitemZ110278842839QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL 0808111245r20786

Lip Man 1
08-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Folks:

Bob DuPuy, Bud's right hand man is now talking about "blackout" updates and revisions in this story:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080813&content_id=3304739&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

It's the final few paragraphs.

Lip

DrCrawdad
08-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Teddy Greenstein is a WSI reader. Greenstein references Lip's interview (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080814-greenstein-michael-wilbon,1,1946749.column?page=2) with Bob Grim about the status of Steve Stone and DJ.