PDA

View Full Version : Credit card machines down at registers

twentywontowin
08-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Don't know if it was just in the OF area, but for most of the game, the credit card machines were down at the concession stands.

Spent 2 innings in line at an ATM.

Extremely frustrating. I understand issues happen, but during the game?

doublem23
08-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Extremely frustrating. I understand issues happen, but during the game?

Computer malfunctions don't know the game's on.

RockRiversoxfan
08-10-2008, 08:14 PM
boy that stinks. i was at the 8-7-08 Rangers-Yankees game in texas. credit card machines were down there for a few innings to

TomBradley72
08-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Customer service at Sox games had plummeted this year....quality of food, stands closing down in the 7th inning (because it was negotiated by the union one worker told me). Lines are always very long at the ATMs...I don't know why they don't add another one or two and place them outside of the main traffic areas so they don't add to the congestion.

chisoxmike
08-10-2008, 09:38 PM
I never understood why it takes people so long to get money at a cash station. It's insane. You'll spend two innings standing in lines at the cash station at Sox Park. Why the Sox wont put more around the stadium is beyond me.

But as TomBradley stated, the service at the park this year is sub-par. Food has gone WAY downhill, and wait times seem to increase week after week. Don't know what is up with all that.

Law11
08-10-2008, 09:38 PM
I always have cash on hand. I only use my CC if Im buying something merchandise wise. The CC machines have gone down before.

I_Liked_Manuel
08-10-2008, 10:03 PM
half of the credit card machines at the stand by me on thursday weren't working, and they weren't fixed by yesterday. i ran into the same problem in at another stand on saturday - so i don't think that this problem just surfaced today.

BainesHOF
08-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Wow, I'm glad it's not just me. I too have noticed a big drop in the quality of food, so much so that it's rare that I eat at the park anymore. I started noticing it last year. The food prices are high at the park and that's to be expected. But when you pay a lot for a hot dog with a stale bun or pizza that's not cooked properly then it's a ripoff.

chisoxfanatic
08-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I never understood why it takes people so long to get money at a cash station.
Because those ATM machines are so friggen slow for one, and then you've got people who have to read every single word on the screen like they've never withdrawn cash from an ATM machine in their life. It's frustrating, so I've decided to use the one outside of the ballpark from now on if I ever need cash for the game.

EuroSox35
08-10-2008, 10:07 PM
I went Sat night and noticed a reallll long line at the ATM, I got some food on the other side of the stadium, came back, and noticed the same people in line.

I agree with the other poster above, what's with food quality going down? Used to easily be the best stadium food. I thought I had read here the Italian beef was decent, I got it last night, really dry and cold, and I ended up feeling sick later in the night. Also, the size was ridiculous for the price, it's like $7, and is wrapped to show like it was the double the size, I was looking in the paper because I figured there'd be another half.

TomBradley72
08-10-2008, 10:19 PM
As of this season...any ideas that Sox Park has "the best food of any ballpark" are now pure myth. The quality is way down, the service and attitude of the staff is mediocre at best, in the 2nd inning they are already running out of napkins, etc. They don't bother to refill the napkin holder...just stack em up on the counter. Same thing in the bathrooms...80% of the time...out of paper towels by the 4th inning.

There's a pervasive apathy among the people working there that I've nver experienced at most of the 18 ballparks I've visited. They should overhaul the whole food stand thing..make it a permanent "Taste of Chicago" and have authentic Chicago pizza, hot dogs, BBQ, etc. from the local restaurants...not the mediocre Sportservice stuff they're dishing out now.

Gavin
08-10-2008, 11:11 PM
As of this season...any ideas that Sox Park has "the best food of any ballpark" are now pure myth. The quality is way down, the service and attitude of the staff is mediocre at best, in the 2nd inning they are already running out of napkins, etc. They don't bother to refill the napkin holder...just stack em up on the counter. Same thing in the bathrooms...80% of the time...out of paper towels by the 4th inning.

There's a pervasive apathy among the people working there that I've nver experienced at most of the 18 ballparks I've visited. They should overhaul the whole food stand thing..make it a permanent "Taste of Chicago" and have authentic Chicago pizza, hot dogs, BBQ, etc. from the local restaurants...not the mediocre Sportservice stuff they're dishing out now.

$$$$. That's all it's about.

Jason82807
08-10-2008, 11:24 PM
They should make everything except alcohol half-price when that happens.

DumpJerry
08-10-2008, 11:51 PM
They should make everything except alcohol half-price when that happens.
Why? I never understood how people consistently come to the park with no money, or not enough money, in their pockets. It's not like they were blind folded and dragged there, they know ahead of time they are going there and generally how much it will cost.

Even when the machines work, the line is slowed up by them whether it's Comiskey, the UC, etc. They should have credit/debit card only lines for those who want to waste their time in line and cash only line for those of us who want to watch the game.

DumpJerry
08-10-2008, 11:59 PM
How do you propose implementing this? How many "local restaurants" have the resources to open a second part-time location with the same kitchen facilities to replicate what they serve? Taste of Chicago is one thing, it's a 10 one-time shot. Baseball is 81 games where the first month is real slow because of weather, etc. If a game is called because of rain before the gates open, who pays the people who were hired by the small restaurants to work the game?

Also, I have not experienced a "pervasive apathy" among the employees there. They take pride in their work and always are very helpful with me when I order food.

Also, how is Connie's not authentic Chicago Pizza-it's not a nationwide brand with a headquarters two time zones away. Have you been to the Comiskey dogs stand in RF? How is any type of Italian Beef sandwich not a local delicacy? What other ballparks have Churros?

IIRC, Sportservice is not the food vendor, Levy is the vendor. Sportservice provides the people who sell the stuff in the stands.

MrRoboto83
08-11-2008, 12:03 AM
At least we are lucky to be able to bring food into the ballpark, I often stop at Subway before the game and bring in a sandwich. They still allow 1 sealed water bottle per person also.

Frankfan4life
08-11-2008, 02:14 AM

There's a pervasive apathy among the people working there that I've nver experienced at most of the 18 ballparks I've visited. They should overhaul the whole food stand thing..make it a permanent "Taste of Chicago" and have authentic Chicago pizza, hot dogs, BBQ, etc. from the local restaurants...not the mediocre Sportservice stuff they're dishing out now.Wow, that was just what I've been thinking. I would actually even welcome a McDonald's or other fast food franchise because at least you know what you're getting.

My son had the two for one hot dogs on Wednesday and he said they were terrible (but, of course, he ate them anyway). I generally stick to the brats, Italian sausage and cheeseburgers. They're always okay. So as not to totally hijack the thread, my boyfriend got money from the 500-level ATM on Sunday with no problem.

fozzy
08-11-2008, 02:15 AM
IIRC, Sportservice is not the food vendor, Levy is the vendor. Sportservice provides the people who sell the stuff in the stands.

thats not true Sportservice is in charge of all concessions at u.s. cellular. levy is only in charge of the stadium club, the boxes, scout seats and the jim beam club. sportservice is in charge of the bleacher bar, vendors and concessions. this is from their web site:

Unit Summary: U.S. Cellular Field, located in Chicago, Illinois, is the home of the Chicago White Sox, 2005 World Series Champions. This facility holds approximately 40,000 guests at any given event. Sportservice at U.S. Cellular Field is the premier provider of concessions and retail. Projected revenues are $36+ million, with approximately $6 million in retail sales. Please visit http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/comis2.htm for more information.

BainesHOF
08-11-2008, 03:18 AM
Wow, that was just what I've been thinking. I would actually even welcome a McDonald's or other fast food franchise because at least you know what you're getting.

My son had the two for one hot dogs on Wednesday and he said they were terrible...

On a couple occasions I've bought the two-for-one dog deal offered during the first hour that the park is open. They were terrible each time, and that's saying something considering I put a lot of stuff on them.

Trick me once shame on you, trick me twice shame on me. There won't be a third time.

The Critic
08-11-2008, 03:21 AM
The chicken fajita I had last time I went to USCF had me in the bathroom for an inning and a half. My wife's kosher dog was not as good as she had in the past, either.
I will be bringing food from home on Tuesday night.

twentywontowin
08-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Since this thread went another direction, I'd also love to see local chains filling the stands for our food.

Think about it...a generic Vienna Beef branded stand, Buona Beef, Connie's Pizza (not the joke they have now), Ricobene's breaded steak, Mazzone's Italian ice, Los Comales for Mexican food, a Goose Island stand...

We would have the best food of any stadium in all of sports.

TomBradley72
08-11-2008, 10:13 AM
How do you propose implementing this? How many "local restaurants" have the resources to open a second part-time location with the same kitchen facilities to replicate what they serve? Taste of Chicago is one thing, it's a 10 one-time shot. Baseball is 81 games where the first month is real slow because of weather, etc. If a game is called because of rain before the gates open, who pays the people who were hired by the small restaurants to work the game?

Also, I have not experienced a "pervasive apathy" among the employees there. They take pride in their work and always are very helpful with me when I order food.

Also, how is Connie's not authentic Chicago Pizza-it's not a nationwide brand with a headquarters two time zones away. Have you been to the Comiskey dogs stand in RF? How is any type of Italian Beef sandwich not a local delicacy? What other ballparks have Churros?

Off all the pizza options from Chicago...Connie's would be pretty low on the list. Most of the better ballparks I've been to have found a way to connect their food stands to well known/popular local food places (ie. pizza, sandwiches, local specialties)...so I'm sure it can be done. It's been done in San Francisco, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Baltimore, Denver, etc. You and I have had very different experiences at Sox Park. Of all the ballparks I've visited in the past two years...the Sox are last in quality of food and quality of service (excluding Wrigley Field and whatever the A's call their park this year). It's still "adequate"...but the contrast really stands out when you have the chance to visit other ballparks.

Cat Thief
08-11-2008, 10:19 AM
IMO the only thing worth buying there are the elotes in right center.

twentywontowin
08-11-2008, 11:15 AM

What you can do is hire the employees like you do now and have them operate the stands, and not have them working as employees of the restaurant. That keeps the pay structure in tact as is. The big issue I could see is not being able to rotate people out to another stand in case of employee shortage or calling in sick. ie, the Buona Beef stand guy isn't going to know how to fill in for the Connie's Pizza guy who called in sick.

And a lot of the larger local chains (Portillo's as example) should have the capital to put a location into the stadium. In all actuality, it should be the White Sox paying them to put up a stand and use the business name, and the business is only supplying their food service products.

Law11
08-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Some of the issue is that foodservice prices have gone up and in many cases the companies will use a lesser quality product because those involved with the purchase dont want to pay the increase in price. Hence you get a lesser quality. This may be the case for the beef although it was never great to begin with.

So much of it is in how the food is prepared as well.
You cant go wrong with the Bests or ball park dogs as they dont change much.
Connies is warmed up pre made pizzas. No real thought process there.

You can get into issues with more specialized foods like, corned beef, mexican fare, etc where its takes more time and a better understanding of how cuts of meat have to be stored, prepared etc.

Dinner Impossible on the Food Network gave us a good look into USCF food as its all frozen pre made food for the most part that is warmed up in mass quantity.

To me it comes down to the people preparing, making and serving you the food. If any of these steps are done lazy it effects everything else right down to how you perceive the people serving you at the stands.

I'll pay $4.50 for a Bests with onion and not think twice because I know its made right and the quality is what i expect.

Some of the other non-standard fare you dont always get that.
I ordered Mini tacos from a stand in LCF and they had no idea how to make them. Once they found someone we waited 10 minutes for them to make them.

Thats not acceptable.

skottyj242
08-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Connies is warmed up pre made pizzas. No real thought process there.

The thin crust pizzas are hand made. I just know that because I saw it last week. Those are way better when they're fresh than the crappy Connies.

hi im skot
08-11-2008, 11:55 AM
I know Connie's gets a bad wrap on this board, but the stuff you get at an actual Connie's restaurant is lightyears ahead of the stuff that passes as Connie's at the ball park.

The koshers with grilled onions are still stellar, as are the elotes. Anymore, though, I find myself walking to Maxwell Street Depot for a porkchop sandwich, fries, and an RC Cola for about $5. Better food, better value.

Slight threadjack, but did anyone at Sunday's game notice that a bunch of the vendors were wearing ID badges showing that they were Cleveland Indians employees? Did Sportservice fly them in to make up for being short-handed with the Cubs/Cards series going on?

skottyj242
08-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I
Slight threadjack, but did anyone at Sunday's game notice that a bunch of the vendors were wearing ID badges showing that they were Cleveland Indians employees? Did Sportservice fly them in to make up for being short-handed with the Cubs/Cards series going on?

I would imagine that they had to drive themselves and put themselves up somewhere to work the weekend. I know a few years ago a guy I used to work with downtown was a beer vendor and him and a bunch of buddies drove to Detroit for the All-Star game and just split a hotel room and gas.

Blueprint1
08-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Go see a game in Anaheim and order some food while you are there. Come back to Chicago and go to sox park it will make you love our food.

roylestillman
08-11-2008, 12:46 PM
I wrote about this a couple of months ago and I agree. Its just within the last year or so that things have started to slip. Even some of the new offerings like the cheese/carmel corn behind the plate or the brisket (they must have changed suppliers) near the left field corner started out good but are off my list. Classics like the corn beef (now with a 1.25 ounce BAG of chips and soggy rye bread) and churros that taste like they were made in May aren't options. I ordered an Italian Beef from the stand underneath the scoreboard and it was pre-made. How do you pre make an Italian beef?

Like all service industry folks, some of the workers are really pleasant, others act like they wish you'd go away. That's been the same for decades. As for price, given the financial reality, would you rather have $6.50 beer or $75 bleacher tickets.

The Sox have kind of rested on its laurels as far as food goes. What was once a varied menu, now seems tame when compared to other parks I've been to in the last few years. I agree that bringing in some local restaurants with signature items would mix things up a little.

Hitmen77
08-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Go see a game in Anaheim and order some food while you are there. Come back to Chicago and go to sox park it will make you love our food.

Go see a game in Seattle and order some food while you are there. Come back to Chicago and go to sox park it will make you see that our food isn't that great.

Beside, I've been to Anaheim. The food there wasn't remarkable, but it didn't make me think Sox Park food was great. At least I didn't have to wait a whole half inning to get served because there was 1 person ahead of me in line and the people running the concessions were painfully slow.

Last time I was at the Cell I had a cheeseburger and it was awful. There's no excuse for that. I'm not expecting a top-rated burger from their concessions, but I expect it to at least be decent. I hope Sox officials are reading this - sounds like people here are telling the same story about the disappointing quality of the food at the Cell.

TomBradley72
08-11-2008, 01:20 PM
At least I didn't have to wait a whole half inning to get served because there was 1 person ahead of me in line and the people running the concessions were painfully slow.

Last time I was at the Cell I had a cheeseburger and it was awful. There's no excuse for that. I'm not expecting a top-rated burger from their concessions, but I expect it to at least be decent. I hope Sox officials are reading this - sounds like people here are telling the same story about the disappointing quality of the food at the Cell.

But you're onto the even bigger picture. I walk up to a stand...I wait a long time to even place my order, then the workers blankly stare at each other unsure how to prepare it (the taco salad example)...after a long wait, something verd mediocre is shoved at me across the counter with a grunt and a shrug. When I go to grab some napkins...they're all gone (3rd inning). The sense of not caring and not giving a **** is palpable compared to other ballparks.

This from a franchise that for 30 years was known as the best place in baseball for food with high quality and high variety. When you visit other parks (not all, but MANY) and the food is fresh and high quality, the service is crisp and responsive, and there ar 5X the options of the Cell...you realize how far they've fallen.

Law11
08-11-2008, 01:36 PM
The sense of not caring and not giving a **** is palpable compared to other ballparks.

There in lies the majority feeling here.
Its folks working a few hours to collect a few bucks. Unless you throw some kind of incentive plan at them like a wait staff type promotion that has giveaways for top employees this will never change.

They just dont care about what they do unless it effects their paycheck.
Somehow the Sox need to get Sportservice to see whats actually going on with their employees.

TomBradley72
08-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Brooks Boyer is my hero...incredibly responsive. I sent him the link to this thread yesterday...here's his response:

I have printed out the entire thread and plan to distribute it at the highest levels of Sportservice. It is embarrassing that any of our fans feel this way as we should hold ourselves to a higher standard based on the perceptions of the quality of our food.

I appreciate you linking me in.

Brooks

twentywontowin
08-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Brooks Boyer is my hero...incredibly responsive. I sent him the link to this thread yesterday...here's his response:

I have printed out the entire thread and plan to distribute it at the highest levels of Sportservice. It is embarrassing that any of our fans feel this way as we should hold ourselves to a higher standard based on the perceptions of the quality of our food.

Brooks

Now there is some customer service for you.

Brooks, you are the man.

Law11
08-12-2008, 04:08 PM

Brooks

Good thinking Tom. Brooks is a stand up guy and at the very least will get the powers that be aware of issues that are going on at the park.

We've gone from top of the list to mid grade in a just a few seasons as far as food and its service in getting it.

Jerko
08-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah, the service is pretty slow. I even waited to get in line until I saw there was only one person ahead of me and it still took 20 minutes to get my order. (including 10 minutes of it sitting there with me yelling "can I have my order, can I have my order" while people that were in line BEHIND me were walking off with their food.) I don't expect a gourmet meal but it seems to have slipped a tad in the past year or so.

SquirrelNutz
08-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Last Wednesday I stood in line for a whole inning waiting for a lousy big pretzel that my wife wanted ... no way I stand there that long otherwise. There were 4 people ahead of me ... 3 of whom paid with a credit card ... which understandably slows things up (doesn't anyone use cash?) ... but a whole inning to wait on 5 people? :angry: