turners56
08-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Good.

Rockabilly
08-10-2008, 11:30 AM
this is awesome news

SoxGirl4Life
08-10-2008, 11:31 AM
And it means Russell's the long innings guy?

soxinem1
08-10-2008, 11:36 AM
I guess we still do not want to give any of our minor leaguers any type of shot to be what they were drafted to be.

Carrasco over Broadway? Please.

What is this based on, Carrasco's great results as a KC starter?

turners56
08-10-2008, 11:38 AM
I guess we still do not want to give any of our minor leaguers any type of shot to be what they were drafted to be.

Broadway hasn't shown he can start successfully in AAA yet. He did have one good start last year, but that was against the freakin' Royals.

Not saying he can't be effective, but it's just that Broadway is not ready to start in the middle of a pennant race.

Optipessimism
08-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Good. I don't want any of our minor league starters in the rotation and Horacio Ramirez has done very well out of the pen for KC, so don't mess with success.

Optipessimism
08-10-2008, 11:39 AM

It's based on the fact that Carrasco is pitching well now in the Major Leagues while Broadway has been getting shelled in freakin' Triple A.

Bill Naharodny
08-10-2008, 11:43 AM
It's based on the fact that Carrasco is pitching well now in the Major Leagues while Broadway has been getting shelled in freakin' Triple A.

This is a mistake. Carrasco should be left where he is; he has been a key to stabilizing the bullpen. Now, just as we did when Jenks went down and we moved Linebrink and everyone else around to compensate, we're creating a ripple effect.

Start Broadway or bring in Byrd or Washburn or someone else. Don't let the problem on day 5 affect days 1 through 4.

jabrch
08-10-2008, 11:43 AM

Is it possible that DJ is the more MLB ready arm? Why play Lance just because of what we drfated him for years ago. Play the best arm today - not the higher draft pick years ago.

Noneck
08-10-2008, 11:47 AM
I hope this is just a stop gap measure for the next start. He is not the answer, the Sox have to do whatever it takes to get an experienced starter.
If Byrd is available, they have to do what it takes to get him.

08-10-2008, 11:51 AM
This is a mistake. Carrasco should be left where he is; he has been a key to stabilizing the bullpen. Now, just as we did when Jenks went down and we moved Linebrink and everyone else around to compensate, we're creating a ripple effect.

Start Broadway or bring in Byrd or Washburn or someone else. Don't let the problem on day 5 affect days 1 through 4.

I understand your point and share the same concern about moving guys around in the bullpen.

The only way I can figure it is ... Carrasco would be unavailable today for sure, and maybe tomorrow as well. So they need an arm that can give them innings. Let's suppose Broadway has to give them innings today or tomorrow, that means he couldn't start on Thursday.

So lining up Carrasco to start Thursday has as much to do with needing arms for the next few games as it does anything else.

Personally I think it's temporary. Guys are clearing waivers now and if this Sun Times story has legs, Williams is after Washburn, who'd be decent enough as a 5th starter. I'm not a huge Washburn fan but if he's on his game he can be effective and he has experience.

Bill Naharodny
08-10-2008, 11:54 AM
I understand your point and share the same concern about moving guys around in the bullpen.

The only way I can figure it is ... Carrasco would be unavailable today for sure, and maybe tomorrow as well. So they need an arm that can give them innings. Let's suppose Broadway has to give them innings today or tomorrow, that means he couldn't start on Thursday.

So lining up Carrasco to start Thursday has as much to do with needing arms for the next few games as it does anything else.

Personally I think it's temporary. Guys are clearing waivers now and if this Sun Times story has legs, Williams is after Washburn, who'd be decent enough as a 5th starter. I'm not a huge Washburn fan but if he's on his game he can be effective and he has experience.

Good point about needing people the next few days, but then why say Carrasco is starting? Maybe to improve Williams's bargaining position in the near term -- looks better than having a "TBA" for the 5th spot?

Optipessimism
08-10-2008, 11:57 AM

I don't think it'll be long before we have an MLB starter. Freddy, Byrd, Washburn, or Greg Maddux, one of those guys is coming here very soon. It's just a question of who and when IMO. Carrasco should take over temporarily until that happens, but I agree that it hurts to take Carrasco out of the spot he's been so good in.

The way I see it is, if it's just one start, and I doubt it ends up being more than that, then I'd rather have a guy (Carrasco) that is going to probably give me 4-5 halfway decent innings to start and then go to a LR with MLB experience instead of starting with a guy (Broadway) who's probably going to get rocked for 2-3 innings before bringing in Carrasco anyway.

kjhanson
08-10-2008, 11:58 AM

Just a guess, but I think it's based on who's pitching the best right now. Carrasco gives up the best chance to win today. Meanwhile, you want Broadway and his 4.68 ERA (in AAA) just because "he was drafted to be a starter"?

Carrasco is actually a pretty interesting pitcher. In his first seven starts in 2005 he went 2-2 with a 2.36 ERA. After eleven starts he was 4-3 with a 3.57 ERA. That included 6 innings of 4-hit ball (1 ER) against the Angels we beat in the ALCS. Also 6 innings of 4-hit ball (0 ER) against the Yankees who made the playoffs.

In his first eleven outings that year he had 23 walks in 68 IP. Not great, but it's close to the 1 BB/3 IP he's thrown this year. His next nine outings saw him go 1-5 with a 6.75 ERA and 27 BB in 45.1 innings. He threw 58% of pitches for strikes. So far he's thrown 63% of pitches for strikes; a marked improvement.

Noneck
08-10-2008, 12:03 PM
If the Sox give Carrasco or a minor leaguer the 5th slot, they are not interested in winning this year. Period.

Frankie5Angels
08-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Do not like this move. DJ should stay in the pen. He is much more valuable to this team in his current role coming out of the pen. I do not like this move at all. I also do not like having Broadway being called up. Not a good way to start my day after reading this. Hopefully KW is gonna make a deal for a starter. Buster Olney was on baseball tonight, saying the Sox put in a claim on Washburn. I guess we will see what happens.

Rockabilly
08-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Do not like this move. DJ should stay in the pen. He is much more valuable to this team in his current role coming out of the pen. I do not like this move at all. I also do not like having Broadway being called up. Not a good way to start my day after reading this. Hopefully KW is gonna make a deal for a starter. Buster Olney was on baseball tonight, saying the Sox put in a claim on Washburn. I guess we will see what happens.

How can we claim him if Washburn already clear waivers..

SoxGirl4Life
08-10-2008, 12:36 PM

Washburn won't clear waivers til 1:30 pm tomorrow.

Byrd has gone all the way through without a claim.

Rockabilly
08-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Washbun won't clear waivers til 1:30 pm tomorrow.

Byrd has gone all the way through without a claim.

According to the Seattle Times..

Washburn has cleared waivers.. So not to sure who is right

Frankie5Angels
08-10-2008, 12:39 PM
He cleared? I was just relaying what I heard on Baseball Tonight at noon. Olney said that Gammons was reporting expect the "Whitesox to put a claim in on Washburn". Who knows. If he has cleared, then I am sure KW will be working on getting something done.

Vernam
08-10-2008, 01:02 PM
He cleared? I was just relaying what I heard on Baseball Tonight at noon. Olney said that Gammons was reporting expect the "Whitesox to put a claim in on Washburn". Who knows. If he has cleared, then I am sure KW will be working on getting something done.I just heard Olney say that very thing, including a reference to 1:30 tomorrow. Your only mistake is in assuming either of those guys knows what the **** he is talking about. They only get paid a few hundred grand/year, so don't expect much.

I hate Byrd, but he'd be a godsend now. I just wonder what it'd take to get Shapiro to deal him within the division, even with the Indians going nowhere. Washburn sounds more likely.

Vernam

TDog
08-10-2008, 01:08 PM
I just heard Olney say that very thing, including a reference to 1:30 tomorrow. Your only mistake is in assuming either of those guys knows what the **** he is talking about. They only get paid a few hundred grand/year, so don't expect much.

I hate Byrd, but he'd be a godsend now. I just wonder what it'd take to get Shapiro to deal him within the division, even with the Indians going nowhere. Washburn sounds more likely.

Vernam

I was thinking the same thing.

thomas35forever
08-10-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't disagree with this move, but I just hope the Sox aren't stretching him out too quickly. I know he can go five, but if he can go six in every start, we'll be fine.

SouthSideSlam
08-10-2008, 01:27 PM

I agree with you. I'd give the ball to Broadway and see how he handles it.

On a side note, am I the only Sox fan tired of having the Royals as the training ground for many of our pitchers?

soxinem1
08-10-2008, 07:57 PM

If he's throwing so badly, why did they bring Broadway up?

Nothing against Carrasco, but if he found his nitch in the pen, why screw with it?

I know he had two nice long outings, but just like Linebrink being moved to closer (when he was never closer material in the past), let him keep his role.

Getting Broadway through five or six good/decent innings is probably more feasable than Carrasco.

pudge
08-10-2008, 08:03 PM
If he's throwing so badly, why did they bring Broadway up?

Nothing against Carrasco, but if he found his nitch in the pen, why screw with it?

I know he had two nice long outings, but just like Linebrink being moved to closer (when he was never closer material in the past), let him keep his role.

Getting Broadway through five or six good/decent innings is probably more feasable than Carrasco.

Carrasco has been getting major league hitters out, Broadway is a rookie who would be a *huge* gamble to stick into this role now (did you not watch the kid they just had in the 5th spot??). Anyone who picks Broadway over Carrasco at this point either hasn't watched enough years of major league baseball or is completely clueless. Trust me, we start sticking rookies in the 5 hole down the stretch, we're sitting home come October. I know what you're saying about losing him in the pen, but it would be worse to have a gaping hole in the rotation at this point. Ideally, we get a vet who cleared waivers!

oeo
08-10-2008, 08:33 PM

No, it probably has something to do with the superb job he's done for us in long relief.

oeo
08-10-2008, 08:40 PM

He should be easier to acquire than Washburn. Inside the division shouldn't matter as the Indians are long out of it, and Byrd is a free agent after the year. Also, according to Gammons, the Mariners still are not completely sure they want to deal him.

I'm surprised Byrd is not gone already. He's the closest to a perfect fit for the Sox right now than anyone. Go get him, Kenny!

Bill Naharodny
08-10-2008, 08:58 PM
He should be easier to acquire than Washburn. Inside the division shouldn't matter as the Indians are long out of it, and Byrd is a free agent after the year. Also, according to Gammons, the Mariners still are not completely sure they want to deal him.

I'm surprised Byrd is not gone already. He's the closest to a perfect fit for the Sox right now than anyone. Go get him, Kenny!

Byrd's been effective lately. And his overall numbers are better than Javy's. (Which isn't saying much, of course.)

A. Cavatica
08-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Charlotte played at Pawtucket today, and the pitching matchup was two guys signed by their teams as insurance policies. Our guy: Tomo Ohka. Their guy: Bartolo Colon.

Boston can afford a financial gamble to get a guy who would actually help their team if he returns to form. In contrast, we signed someone older and cheaper, and now that we need a starter, nobody's suggesting Ohka deserves a shot.

Ohka put up a better line (6 4 1 1 1 3) and Charlotte won the game. And STILL nobody's suggesting he should come up.

Moral: spend what it takes to get Washburn, don't settle for someone with no upside.

chisoxfanatic
08-10-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm glad about this. He's shown that he's capable of throwing longer innings from his brief stint. It's really a no-brainer.

hawkjt
08-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Byrd has been nails tough the last few starts. I vote for him. What is washburns contract status? Just this year or beyond? He has stunk it up this year.
But absent any of those guys...go with the known commodity...Carrasco. He has earned a start and is likely to do the best.

JB98
08-10-2008, 09:23 PM
I like the move to start Carrasco. But given that they are doing it this way, I'm curious why they brought up Broadway. Why not call up a guy who is used to pitching in a relief role?

I guess they feel like they need a long man. Broadway can do that, I hope.

08-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Good point about needing people the next few days, but then why say Carrasco is starting? Maybe to improve Williams's bargaining position in the near term -- looks better than having a "TBA" for the 5th spot?

I agree with others who've said they will acquire someone in the next few days, but there are media guys like Cowley who dig around and find who'll be starting anyways, so they might as well make it public.

At this point, the only bargaining leverage in a situation like Washburn, for example, is how much of the contract the White Sox are willing to pick up and/or if there's anything going back to the Mariners.

08-10-2008, 09:53 PM
I like the move to start Carrasco. But given that they are doing it this way, I'm curious why they brought up Broadway. Why not call up a guy who is used to pitching in a relief role?

I guess they feel like they need a long man. Broadway can do that, I hope.

That's pretty much it I would guess. He can go multiple innings and that's the immediate need.

Brewski
08-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Byrd over Washburn. We need 2 months of reliability. Carrasco is better than his salary, just on what I have seen this season. A good find.

IronFisk
08-11-2008, 02:02 AM
Just three words: four man rotation!

It's mid-August already - what's the big deal? I feel that anyone in that 5th role now is going to get lit up...every game matters...why waste one?

Before I get a ####load of stats about this, I'm just looking at the best chance to win, and going 4-man is our best chance.

FireMariotti
08-11-2008, 04:18 AM
[quote=IronFisk;1999444]Just three words: four man rotation!/quote]

Get real. A 4 man rotation will never happen. Pitchers MLB wide are too accustomed to the 5 man procedure for any drastic change to happen. To the old school baseball fan, this sounds absurd, but the nature of modern baseball makes the 5 man rotation a necessity.
Carrasco will be our fifth starter for at least two starts. If he pitches well, i'll applaud another genius KW decision. If not, it's time to take another look at Sweaty Freddy.

russ99
08-11-2008, 08:23 AM

I completely agree.

Look what happened last time Ozzie shuffled the bullpen like this, half the guys became ineffective and others got hurt.

D.J. does deserve his shot, but IMO he's much too valuable as an inning eater out of the pen.

If you're going to bring up Broadway, why not let him start?

oeo
08-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Just three words: four man rotation!

It's mid-August already - what's the big deal? I feel that anyone in that 5th role now is going to get lit up...every game matters...why waste one?

We have two young starters who are coming up to the point where they may start showing fatigue. Sounds like a great plan to throw them even more. Add in that Javy is always on a strict schedule, and you're just asking for trouble.

I completely agree.

Look what happened last time Ozzie shuffled the bullpen like this, half the guys became ineffective and others got hurt.

D.J. does deserve his shot, but IMO he's much too valuable as an inning eater out of the pen.

If you're going to bring up Broadway, why not let him start?

For the most part, Carrasco has been in a long relief role, anyway. This won't effect the bullpen like losing your closer (any team that loses their closer is going to find problems). Carrasco will give us the best chance to win every 5th day.

Hopefully Kenny can snatch a starter and this will all be moot.