PDA

View Full Version : The White Sox REALLY need To Take A Chance On Freddy Garcia For The Rest Of 2008.

Thome25
08-09-2008, 11:08 PM
With the injury to Contreras and the bullpen struggles, KW needs to try hard to acquire Freddy Garcia. If we have any hope at making the playoffs in '08 then Garcia is the veteran SP we need. No pitchers will be available through trade and if there is one they probably won't make it through waivers.

So have at it.....let the discussion/speculation begin.

cards press box
08-09-2008, 11:15 PM
If Freddy is healthy, then it is a great move. He is a fan favorite, an organization favorite and a clutch, crunch-time pitcher with a track record of winning big games for the Sox, especially on the road. What's not to like?

I would be stunned if the Sox were not looking at this option.

rustysurf83
08-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Might as well. He may be really bad, or he may also be really good or at least better than anyone else available.

doublem23
08-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Problem is, if as many teams are as interested in him as reported, you got to believe someone is going to fantastically overpay for his services.

:(:

Tonight sucks. Need more beer. :gulp:

WhiteSox5187
08-10-2008, 04:05 AM
If Freddy is healthy, then it is a great move. He is a fan favorite, an organization favorite and a clutch, crunch-time pitcher with a track record of winning big games for the Sox, especially on the road. What's not to like?

I would be stunned if the Sox were not looking at this option.
If he can't throw above 85, there are a lot of things not to like.

Thome25
08-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Problem is, if as many teams are as interested in him as reported, you got to believe someone is going to fantastically overpay for his services.

:(:

Tonight sucks. Need more beer. :gulp:

His agent has been quoted as saying all he wants is a contract for the remainder of the season just to prove he can still pitch. Then he wants to become a free agent again after 2008.

A contract that spans only a month and a half isn't going to be expensive either way you look at it.

It's going to come down to where he actually feels comfortable and I have to say the White Sox may have the inside track on that one. Ozzie is a relative and there's history (good history) with the Sox.

jabrch
08-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Until you see Freddy pitch, I don't know how you can say that. I'd like to see Ramirez also before concluding what he can or can't do.

TornLabrum
08-10-2008, 08:21 AM
The Ranger said last night that about a dozen teams saw Freddy work out last week, and reports were that they weren't impressed. If that's the case, I'd rather take a pass. A AAA pitcher would probably be a better option than Garcia if that's true.

balke
08-10-2008, 09:06 AM
If Freddy isn't ready, Ozzie probably knows. He might be equal to Ohka in his worth at this point. I won't be disappointed if they stand pat and see what Broadway and an extra reliever can do.

Sox need Linebrink back. They could possibly do a BP start in September if they can't get a solid #5.

turners56
08-10-2008, 10:05 AM
I'd rather have Lobbin' Livan right now...

At least we know his arm is still attached to him.

Too bad he's already off the market. :whiner:

FedEx227
08-10-2008, 07:01 PM
The Ranger said last night that about a dozen teams saw Freddy work out last week, and reports were that they weren't impressed. If that's the case, I'd rather take a pass. A AAA pitcher would probably be a better option than Garcia if that's true.

Didn't you hear?

Crappy, expensive 38-year old veteran with bad numbers is far more valuable than taking a chance on a younger, cheaper player.

soxfanreggie
08-10-2008, 07:15 PM
It depends on how much he's willing to sign for. If he is going to command millions (before pro-ration), then I'm not sure. If he's going to play for under a million or two pro-rated, then I'm willing to take a chance on him, knowing that we probably wouldn't re-sign him after this year.

SouthSideSlam
08-10-2008, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Freddie back on the South Side. If he's healthy, he could be a valuable long reliever out of the pen, or a 5th starter down the stretch.

soxinem1
08-10-2008, 07:46 PM
When Freddie was here in 2006 throwing 85 MPH most of the season, he gave up a ton of runs.

He won some games because the team was scoring 7-8 runs a night for him most of the year.

I can't see how getting him now, with most scouts unimpressed with what they saw, is any better than giving Broadway a shot.

ViPeRx007
08-11-2008, 12:40 AM
I would consider Freddie if we can't get Byrd or Washburn first.

Domeshot17
08-11-2008, 01:35 AM
If you want to take an outside the box look to fill the 5th spot, how about Greg Maddux. He wants to stay west so it is unlikely, however (1) He knows the Chicago area very well (2) American League hitters don't know him well (3) We give him a shot at a world series, which the Pads don't. I can only imagine what he could do for guys like Danks Gavin and even a guy like Burls.

Law11
08-11-2008, 01:05 PM
If you want to take an outside the box look to fill the 5th spot, how about Greg Maddux. He wants to stay west so it is unlikely, however (1) He knows the Chicago area very well (2) American League hitters don't know him well (3) We give him a shot at a world series, which the Pads don't. I can only imagine what he could do for guys like Danks Gavin and even a guy like Burls.

Our avg age of the team could hit 40 at that rate..:D:

palehozenychicty
08-11-2008, 01:23 PM

As you said, he wants to stay on the West Coast, so unless they throw him extra cash, it ain't going to happen. Lastly, he's never thrown in the AL. I think he'd get shelled, honestly.

35th and Shields
08-11-2008, 02:23 PM
I'd rather have Lobbin' Livan right now...

At least we know his arm is still attached to him.

Too bad he's already off the market. :whiner:

I'm glad we avoided him. He gave up 9 ER and didn't even made it out of the third

KenBerryGrab
08-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Freddy signed with the Tigers, per a report just posted on si.com.

JB98
08-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Freddy signed with the Tigers, per a report just posted on si.com.

The Tigers seem to think they are still in the race. They are not. Silly move by them.