PDA

View Full Version : KW best acquisitions?

JermaineDye05
08-09-2008, 05:45 PM
So after Carlos' AL leading 31st homer last night I got to thinking that this is probably one Kenny's best moves for this team in recent years. So in your opinion, what are his best moves?

Mine:

1) Acquired Bobby Jenks off of waivers from the Angels. What better way to get an elite closer then for nothing?

2) Acquired Carlos Quentin for minor league first baseman Christ Carter.

3) Acquired Scott Podsednik and Luis Vizcaino for Carlos Lee

4) Acquired John Danks and Nick Masset for Brandon McCarthy. This is easily one of my favorite moves as Danks has really started to come into his own this year.

5) Signed Alexei Ramirez to a 4 year $4.75 million deal.

6) Signed AJ Pierzynski to a 1 year deal in 2005

7) Acquired Freddy Garcia for Miguel Olive, Jeremy Reed, and Michael Morse.

8) Signed Tadahito Iguchi to a 2 year deal

9) Acquired Matt Thornton for Joe Borchard

10) Signed RF Jermaine Dye to a 2 year contract

Honorable mentions, the Gavin Floyd Acquistion. This could easily make the list considering Freddy did absolutely nothing with the Phils. However I'd like to see Gavin do what he's doing now more then one season, just so I know he's the real deal and not a one and done type situation. Also the Geoff Blum trade, he did win us game 3 and all.

johnnyg83
08-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Maybe it's because we're living it now, and their futures look so good, but TCQ and Alexei were signings/trades that have blown me away because I had very little expectations. I don;t know where we'd be without them.

Dye was a great signing but he was an established major leaguer.

1. TCQ
2. Alexei
3. Jenks
4. Dye
5. Danks

doublem23
08-09-2008, 06:08 PM
2) Acquired Carlos Quentin for minor league first baseman Christ Carter.

He'd be a lot better if he could hit a curveball.

WhiteSox5187
08-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Hmm. Well, I'd probably say Jenks is number one in fact because we don't win a World Series without him.

LoveYourSuit
08-09-2008, 06:18 PM
1. Quentin
2. Jenks
3. Dye
4. Contreras *
5. Freddy
6. Danks
7. Alexei
8. AJ
9. Pods +
10. Cotts **

*We might be a 3rd place team if not for Jose's 2nd half performance. And he was the anchor of the staff in the play-offs.

+ I would have him Pods higher if not for hte fact that we gave a Silver Slugger for him. A great trade which made perfect sense, but we did pay a heave price in the process.

** The "throw in" from the miserable Billy Koch trade actually ended saving our bullpen in 2005 when Damaso crapped his pants.

fquaye149
08-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Freddy Garcia trade was brilliant.
BMAC for Danks (and Masset), brilliant
Jenks off the waiver wire was wonderful
Loaiza for Contreras was excellent
Carter for Quentin was fantastic

Those would be the 5 moves I'd hang my hat on if I were Kenny

Honorable mentions:

Signing Dye
Signing El Duque
Signing AJ
Signing Iguchi
Any deal that brought Carl Everett to the southside.

CashMan
08-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Hmm. Well, I'd probably say Jenks is number one in fact because we don't win a World Series without him.

Great point, I would add, until anyone else wins us a championship, Jenks and Dye are number 1 and 2.

LoveYourSuit
08-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Great point, I would add, until anyone else wins us a championship, Jenks and Dye are number 1 and 2.

I wanted to go this route too, any guy from 2005 can't be topped until we see the 2008 results. But damn I can't dismiss Quentin when he has a chance to be MVP here and getting him for an A ball prospect and getting paid about $400K. This has to be the bargain of the century.

eriqjaffe
08-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Of course, everybody will notice the "Christ Carter" mistype, but this one struck me as pretty funny, too...
7) Acquired Freddy Garcia for Miguel Olive, Jeremy Reed, and Michael Morse.

pmck003
08-09-2008, 06:37 PM
I'll put the McCarthy trade as number 1 since I was a complainer.

the1tab
08-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Based largely on his World Series Most Valuable Player award and following regular season MVP-worthy 2006, I would say signing Jermaine Dye and the corresponding loss of Magglio Ordonez is number One.

Bobby Jenks off the waiver wire for me is #2, with an asterisk mentioning the "intestinal fortitude" of Ozzie letting him close for a team that, after the break, was fighting off the Indians and then thru the postseason.

Follow that with TCQ for Carter, signing AJ when San Francisco had tried to ruin him & his reputation, signing Alexei, and the McCarthy - Danks/Massett deal.

Let's also give KW some credit for some of the other people he's let go. Frank Thomas moving on was probably a smart choice after '05, moving Carlos Lee was a solid move as well, and knowing when to say when w/ guys like Loiza, Garcia and Iguchi also shows KW knows how to evaluate talent.

fquaye149
08-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I'll put the McCarthy trade as number 1 since I was a complainer.

Trades really don't get much better than that! Just good old-fashioned scouting, I guess.

Brian26
08-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Acquired Scott Podsednik and Luis Vizcaino for Carlos Lee

This was a salary dump that paid dividends for the Sox for one year, and it could have looked disastrous if the Pods injury-bug started six months earlier than it did.

I agree with most of the other trades on your list though.

JermaineDye05
08-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Of course, everybody will notice the "Christ Carter" mistype, but this one struck me as pretty funny, too...

Wow, what was I on lol. those are really bad spelling errors, however I find the Christ Carter rather hilarious.

Tragg
08-09-2008, 10:51 PM
1)Quentin trade
2)Jenks signing
3)Danks trade
4)Dye signing
5)Contreras trade/Loiza signing
6)Marte trade (getting him)
7)Garcia trade
8) 2005 signings of Iguchi, AJ, Hermanson, El Duke and Politte
9)Ramirez signing
10)Floyd Trade

WhiteSox5187
08-09-2008, 11:06 PM
While it remains to be seen how Rameriz will do, I'm impressed with the speed Kenny pulled this thing off.

thomas35forever
08-09-2008, 11:21 PM
My top four are

1) Signing Dye
2) Acquiring Quentin
3) Signing Jenks
4) Acquiring Pods

LoveYourSuit
08-10-2008, 12:42 AM
If we make the play-offs, DJ Carrasco would have played a huge factor to this and will crack my top 10 list.

soxfanreggie
08-10-2008, 07:30 PM
1. Jenks
2. Quentin
3. Dye

Jason82807
08-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't even know if KW was GM at the time, but I think Jose Canseco was a great acquisition for 1/2 year considering how little we were paying him.

Thome_Fan
08-10-2008, 08:03 PM
I don't even know if KW was GM at the time, but I think Jose Canseco was a great acquisition for 1/2 year considering how little we were paying him.

:thud:I would be perfectly happy with him never having worn a Sox uniform.

williepotatoes
08-10-2008, 08:16 PM
I vote for Dye, Quentin,Quentin,Quentin,Quentin and Quentin.

At 25 years old I get chills thinking about his future. It almost makes me feel like I did after Franks '91 season.

wassagstdu
08-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Pretty amazing performance by KW. Pods for Lee was very gutsy, but was key (one of several) to the 2005 championship. The only mistake I can think of was Rowand for Thome -- and I have no idea what he had in mind with Griffey. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on both of those.

Lukin13
08-10-2008, 08:38 PM
At this point it has to be Dye #1... Quentin surely looks like he eventually will be the best move but as of right now is the signing of Dye before '05... brilliant!

1. Dye
2. Jenks
3. TCQ
4. Freddy
5. Danks/Floyd tie

eriqjaffe
08-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Lost in the shuffle here...the best move Kenny made was actually a move he didn't make:

1) He didn't offer arbitration to Magglio Ordonez.

Sure, Maggs may well have turned it down if it had been offered, but given his (at the time) uncertain future, he very well may have accepted a hearing, which would've put the Sox on the hook for somewhere in the neighborhood of $14m. Of course, having that money to play with led pretty much directly to the acquisitions of Iguchi, Pierzynski and Dye.

jabrch
08-10-2008, 11:31 PM
When looking at that list, and then the corresponding lists of "bad" moves, I am surprised KW doesn't get a bit more respect around here. I understand the national media's dislike for him - but I'd figure Sox fans would give him a bit more credit.

asindc
08-11-2008, 09:25 AM
When looking at that list, and then the corresponding lists of "bad" moves, I am surprised KW doesn't get a bit more respect around here. I understand the national media's dislike for him - but I'd figure Sox fans would give him a bit more credit.

My sentiments exactly. His good far outweighs his bad. We Sox fans should have better perspective on that.

jabrch
08-11-2008, 10:46 AM
My sentiments exactly. His good far outweighs his bad. We Sox fans should have better perspective on that.

I think most Sox fans do. I think there are a lot of vocal - yet dumb - Sox fans who never will get it.

Tragg
08-11-2008, 11:44 AM
He has acquired Jenks and Quentin for virtually nothing; he has never given players of that caliber away for nothing.
He hasn't had many lose/win trades; but he's had too many lose/lose trades. But the 2 above make him a net winner.
And he's fielded one playoff team, despite a high budget.
Overall, he's better than average.

spawn
08-11-2008, 11:54 AM
The best move KW made? Signing Ozzie Guillen instead of Cito Gaston.

ajismyhero
08-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Wow, no love for Garland around here! Didn't we get him from the Cubs for some crap pitcher who never became anything? I mean, Garland isn't my favorite dude in the world, but he ate up a ton of innings, was consistent and durable and very much contributed to the 2005 Championship - so thank you, Kenny for that!

pythons007
08-11-2008, 03:58 PM
How about inviting Estabon Loiaza to camp in 2003? If he didn't do that we would never had Contreras! By far one of the best moves that Kenny made. Contreras anchored our pitching staff in 2005!

KenBerryGrab
08-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Wow, no love for Garland around here! Didn't we get him from the Cubs for some crap pitcher who never became anything? I mean, Garland isn't my favorite dude in the world, but he ate up a ton of innings, was consistent and durable and very much contributed to the 2005 Championship - so thank you, Kenny for that!

Not a Ken Williams deal. That was Ron Schueler's.

palehozenychicty
08-11-2008, 04:12 PM
He's grown into the role and done a good job of finding diamonds in the rough e.g. Quentin, Dye, Pierzynski, Pods, Hermanson, Thornton, Jenks, Ramirez. I do wish that he could build a better balanced team, as many of his teams have been slow and power-laden. The one year they had a diversified attack, they won it all. I also wish that he'd develop more players through the system. These things tend to go hand in hand. I can't get mad with a world title that came out of nowhere, but we should have had more chances this decade. I do like his fire and determination, and think that we're in good hands.