PDA

View Full Version : Best Individual White Sox Season-Hitter?

TomBradley72
08-08-2008, 11:07 PM
How does Carlos Quentin's season this year compare to other historically great individual seasons you can remember? Dick Allen in 1972? Richie Zisk in 1977? Frank Thomas in 2000? Others?

rdivaldi
08-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Frank Thomas 1994. Probably one of the greatest hitting displays in the history of baseball.

hawkjt
08-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Frank in 93-94 was simply awesome. Dick Allen in his MVP year is in the picture. TCQ could be in the picture if he keeps it up...40hrs,120rbis,300.

WhiteSox5187
08-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Frank Thomas in '93 and '94 was amazing. Simply amazing. However Dick Allen really saved the Sox franchise in '72 so while Frank goes down as two of the best hitting performances of all time I think Allen's is more signficant in terms of Sox history.

Mohoney
08-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Albert Belle's 1998 was sick as well. .328/.399/.655 with 200 hits, 48 doubles, 49 homers, 152 RBI, and 113 runs scored.

tacosalbarojas
08-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Albert Belle's 1998 was sick as well. .328/.399/.655 with 200 hits, 48 doubles, 49 homers, 152 RBI, and 113 runs scored.And I'd love to see TCQ put a rush on that single-season HR record, though it's doubtful. I want Belle's name out of the record book one of these years.

Brian26
08-08-2008, 11:29 PM
How does Carlos Quentin's season this year compare to other historically great individual seasons you can remember?

I never saw Dick Allen play, and that's my loss. I'm surprised people forget how good Jermaine Dye's 2006 was. 44 HR, 120 rbi, .315 - granted, those numbers came at the Cell and not old Comiskey w/ 440 CF, but it's still impressive.

TornLabrum
08-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Albert Belle's 1998 was sick as well. .328/.399/.655 with 200 hits, 48 doubles, 49 homers, 152 RBI, and 113 runs scored.

However, most of that occurred the second half of the season after the Sox were well out of the race.

MISoxfan
08-08-2008, 11:42 PM
He's having a fantastic season, but I don't think its even close to the best season for a sox hitter. I don't think its any better than Dye and Thome in 2006. Its not even that much better than Dye's 2008.

I do love TCQ though :bandance:

eriqjaffe
08-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Joe Jackson put up a huge year back in 1920 - .382/12/121, and only struck out 14 times. In fact, that and Dick Allen's 1972 season are the only two top 10 OPS years that didn't occur after 1993.

That being said, Frank Thomas owns the top five slots in that top ten list.

Noneck
08-09-2008, 12:13 AM
If this discussion is based on stats, Quentin or Allen won't measure up but if it is based on what they mean to the team, Allen#1 with Quentin coming on at the 3/4 pole.

hose
08-09-2008, 12:14 AM
I'll go with Dick Allen in 1972.

If Bill Melton doesn't get hurt the Sox win the division.

asindc
08-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Frank in 1994.

Allen in 1972 a close second.

johnnyg83
08-09-2008, 03:12 AM
I know Appling wasn't much of a power hitter but he did hit .388 with 128 rbis in 1936 ... with just 6 hrs.

Brian26
08-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I'll go with Dick Allen in 1972.

If Bill Melton doesn't get hurt the Sox win the division.

:hawk
"If Melton doesn't get hurt in '72 and if Mags and Big Frank don't go down in '04, Ozzie would have had 23 in a row."

doublem23
08-09-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't know how many people read Sox Machine, but it's a pretty good White Sox blog. They had a list of the Top 30 offensive seasons in Sox history... Look at Frank's numbers when they're extrapolated for 162 games. :o:

.353/54/145... 156 walks and 152 runs. Jesus.

http://soxmachine.com/blogs/soxmachine/articles/category/1037.aspx

Bobby Thigpen
08-09-2008, 10:49 AM
As much as I hated Albert Belle, his season was pretty dang incredible. Contention or not.

FarWestChicago
08-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Nobody ever hit the ball as hard as Dick Allen. The fact he never killed a pitcher is somewhat astonishing.

Brian26
08-09-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't know how many people read Sox Machine, but it's a pretty good White Sox blog.

It's an excellent blog.

turners56
08-09-2008, 03:01 PM
How does Carlos Quentin's season this year compare to other historically great individual seasons you can remember? Dick Allen in 1972? Richie Zisk in 1977? Frank Thomas in 2000? Others?

Are you forgetting Jermaine Dye's 2006 season? His OPS was over 1.000 and he slugged in the .620s!

LoveYourSuit
08-09-2008, 03:13 PM
What makes Quentin's season so far even more special is the fact that unlike all the names previously mentioned (Dye, Thomas, Thome, Allen), no one in their wildest dream expected this from Quentin. Making it even more special in my book is the fact that Quentin by himself kept the Sox in this race early in the year when all the other cast members of this offense could not hit out off a paper bag (Konerko, Thome, Swisher).

Keep this in mind:

- Traded for a low level prospect
- Making about $500K
- Almost did not make the roster out of Spring Training
- Coming off an injured shoulder.

This might go down as the biggest overachiever in baseball history.

turners56
08-09-2008, 03:14 PM
What makes Quentin's season so far even more special is the fact that unlike all the names previously mentioned (Dye, Thomas, Thome, Allen), no one in their wildest dream expected this from Quentin. Making it even more special in my book is the fact that Quentin by himself kept the Sox in this race early in the year when all the other cast members of this offense could not hit out off a paper bag (Konerko, Thome, Swisher).

Keep this in mind:

- Making about $500K

But it's not like Carlos is Mike Aviles or something. He was destined to be a star. Of course, nobody expected it at this level and this soon.

LITTLE NELL
08-09-2008, 03:17 PM
The thing about Allen in 72 is that he just about carried that team to a division title. After Melton got hurt Allen was a one man wrecking crew. We did have a pretty good pitching staff that kept us in a lot of games. I think every time we went out to Oakland that year we would have a long extra inning game. I remember listening to Harry with a transistor radio under my pillow so I would not wake up my wife.

Craig Grebeck
08-09-2008, 03:21 PM

Keep this in mind:

- Making about $500K

Not really. There were a few of us who wanted him in LF to start the season and thought he could duplicate his minor league numbers.

balke
08-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Not really. There were a few of us who wanted him in LF to start the season and thought he could duplicate his minor league numbers.

The majority of people didn't think he'd be healthy enough to throw a baseball to start the season, let alone lead the Sox in HR's with an MVP like season. NOONE said Quentin would be having this type of season. If they believed in his ability, that's one thing, but NOONE thought he'd lead the AL in HR's this far into the season, or that he'd be the best hitter on the Sox at this point.

Best trade I can remember really so far. A prospect for an MVP. Granted, this was probably a slight sympathy trade for the Chris Young explosion, but wow what a deal.

Craig Grebeck
08-09-2008, 03:30 PM
The majority of people didn't think he'd be healthy enough to throw a baseball to start the season, let alone lead the Sox in HR's with an MVP like season. NOONE said Quentin would be having this type of season. If they believed in his ability, that's one thing, but NOONE thought he'd lead the AL in HR's this far into the season, or that he'd be the best hitter on the Sox at this point.

Best trade I can remember really so far. A prospect for an MVP. Granted, this was probably a slight sympathy trade for the Chris Young explosion, but wow what a deal.
I said numerous times that if he maintained his minor league performance he'd be in contention for MVP.

IlliniSox4Life
08-09-2008, 03:53 PM
I said numerous times that if he maintained his minor league performance he'd be in contention for MVP.

I could go through a list of minor leaguers and tell you that if they maintain their minor league performance, they'll be in competition for MVP. I will be right regardless of what they actually do in the big leagues.

LITTLE NELL
08-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Nobody ever hit the ball as hard as Dick Allen. The fact he never killed a pitcher is somewhat astonishing.
Just think what Allen would have done with the juiced up ball thats being used now.

Jim Shorts
08-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Keep this in mind:

- Making about $500K

Few expected anything from Josh Hamilton too. But if the national media has their way, he'll win MVP hands down.

LoveYourSuit
08-09-2008, 04:21 PM

Right, your and another few were predicting him to put up Babe Ruth numbers here in 2008.

Give me a break :rolleyes:

LoveYourSuit
08-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Few expected anything from Josh Hamilton too. But if the national media has their way, he'll win MVP hands down.

Yes but Hamilton did have a nice sample size at the ML level last year in about 90+ games hitting about .300 with close to 20 HRs and 50 RBIs. So people sort of knew he would be a great ML hitter, reason why Texas traded a good pitching prospect for him.

Quentin had a bad injury which resulted in a bad start to his ML career.

Jim Shorts
08-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Yes but Hamilton did have a nice sample size at the ML level last year in about 90+ games hitting about .300 with close to 20 HRs and 50 RBIs. So people sort of knew he would be a great ML hitter, reason why Texas traded a good pitching prospect for him.

Quentin had a bad injury which resulted in a bad start to his ML career.

BUT HE WAS A CRACK HEAD!!!:shocked:

popilius
08-09-2008, 05:29 PM
As much as I hated Albert Belle, his season was pretty dang incredible. Contention or not.

I agree. He had an ureal second half, especially. I remember going to the games mainly to watch him hit.

:gulp:

Craig Grebeck
08-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I could go through a list of minor leaguers and tell you that if they maintain their minor league performance, they'll be in competition for MVP. I will be right regardless of what they actually do in the big leagues.
You kinda proved my point. You don't go around saying that about every minor leaguer with impressive numbers because it'd be pointless and stupid; you say about those who actually possess the capability to do so. Of course if Nelson Cruz and Dallas McPherson replicated their minor league numbers they'd also win MVP -- but you'd never catch anyone saying that.

Right, your and another few were predicting him to put up Babe Ruth numbers here in 2008.

Give me a break :rolleyes:
I didn't really think it'd be a stretch that he would OPS .953, which he has.

His career minor league OPS: .953.

FarWestChicago
08-10-2008, 08:03 AM

Give me a break :rolleyes:IIRC, Grebeck was always on the Quentin bandwagon. Of course, I could be wrong.