08-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Wow! Discuss!

At the bar celebrating?

KyWhiSoxFan
We're all waiting for ***Official***.

MarySwiss
Am I missing something? Didn't we just beat the Red Sox in the first of the series?

Hendu
Great job by Buehrle...Dotel tried to give it away though. :angry:

KnightSox
08-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks for starting this Mary!

Great bounceback by Mark, he and we needed that.

Mohoney
Since Manny Ramirez was traded, David Ortiz has looked awful at the plate.

Here's hoping that the fat turd buckles under the pressure and reverts to his numbers when he was with the Twins.

MarySwiss
We're all waiting for ***Official***.

Ahhh! I didn't get that! Mods, can you add the ***Official*** part? If need be?

cheezheadsoxfan
08-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Mark stepped up big and we even executed well. Dotel may be the BP version of Javy tho.

It's a win tho.:bandance:

KyWhiSoxFan
Buehrle really rebouned magnificently from that 14-hit bloodbath in KC. I hope the rest of the staff (ahem, Javy) follows his example these last seven weeks.

Jason Bay is good but the Red Sox don't scare me anymore like they did with Manny Ramirez.

Unfortunately he will be with the Yankees next year.

Vienna
Great outing by MB. Oh-do-tell made it interesting. Nice bounceback from last night. Go Go Sox.

popilius
Nice! Great performance by Buerhle and Jenks nails it down!

:gulp:

Bucky F. Dent
08-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Great game from Buehrle! Looks like are starters are getting back on track after a rough patch.

hawkjt
Man, Hawk really loves to beat the Red Sox from his reaction to the last out of the game...so do I.

MB...great job.
Everybody played good baseball tonite,offensively and defensively.
ODotel was not on tonite but we got away with it.
Now, Jose comes thru tomorrow...back on track.

Twins were leading..noticed that Davies of KC only went 2 innings plus...wonder if he got hurt...guy has our number and is due to face sox next wednesday so I would not mind missing him.

turners56
Wow! Discuss!

I was about to make a thread naming it the exact same thing...I thought better of it when I saw yours. :rolleyes:

Great win.

This is probably Buehrle's best start against the Red Sox and probably one of his best this year.

Quentin with the big insurance home run and Jenks does his thing.

We executed on every single term today. We didn't beat ourselves, that's the big thing.

If anything, Boston made a lot of great plays on D aside from that costly screw up by Bay on Alexei's bloop single.

It should of been a lot easier, but we prevail. We remain in first and are 8.5 ahead of the lame Tiggers. This was a important win considering we had a 4-0 lead and Contreras is going tomorrow. Win 2 of the next 3 and I'll be really happy. Win 1 of the next 3 and it won't be so bad either. Hopefully, we can make this a statement series and finally make those people at Bristol notice us a bit. Oh wait...they already have and it didn't work so well...

KnightSox
Jason Bay is good but the Red Sox don't scare me anymore like they did with Manny Ramirez.I have felt the same way, but that can change fast, we are going to face some tough pitching this weekend.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Sigh of relief...way to go Burly guy,Dotel has to stay after class.

turners56
Man, Hawk really loves to beat the Red Sox from his reaction to the last out of the game...so do I.

MB...great job.
Everybody played good baseball tonite,offensively and defensively.
ODotel was not on tonite but we got away with it.
Now, Jose comes thru tomorrow...back on track.

Twins were leading..noticed that Davies of KC only went 2 innings plus...wonder if he got hurt...guy has our number and is due to face sox next wednesday so I would not mind missing him.

Hawk acted like this was game one of the ALDS...

From the way he sounded, you'd swear Quentin hit a walk-off shot in the 8th.

PeteWard
Quentin just does not slump. Love watching that guy.

FarWestChicago
08-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Am I missing something? Didn't we just beat the Red Sox in the first of the series?Not much to get the Clouds going. No Clouds, no thread.

hawkjt
08-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Now tied with Red Sox in loss column...would be nice to put them back in the wildcard race...just in case.

turners56
08-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Quentin just does not slump. Love watching that guy.

In other news, JD is sort of slumping...

WhiteSox5187
08-08-2008, 09:51 PM
That was just a HUGE win! And a GREAT outting by Buerhle, if he pitches like that from here on out, we're in pretty good shape. Also we miss Linebrink. That eighth inning was just too scary. Meanwhile KC has got the go ahead run at the plate with two out in the bottom of the seventh. Let's hope the Royals can work some magic.

turners56
08-08-2008, 09:52 PM
That was just a HUGE win! And a GREAT outting by Buerhle, if he pitches like that from here on out, we're in pretty good shape. Also we miss Linebrink. That eighth inning was just too scary. Meanwhile KC has got the go ahead run at the plate with two out in the bottom of the seventh. Let's hope the Royals can work some magic.

Teahen's up, 6+ ERA for that bullpen on the road. We will always remember.

SoxandtheCityTee
All wins are good wins, but I love beating these guys with their damn fans in our house.

I'm so fond of Mark Buerhle. Good to see him bounce WAY back from last time.

cheezheadsoxfan
Here's hoping Contreras is looking as good as Coop as been saying.

CHISOXFAN13
08-08-2008, 09:53 PM
I have felt the same way, but that can change fast, we are going to face some tough pitching this weekend.

We faced a good pitcher tonight and won. I'll take my chances.

WhiteSox5187
08-08-2008, 09:54 PM
This is the game at the plate here...also something is wrong with Mauer as he can't hold onto the ball.

Woofer
This is an excellent start to my weekend! Big, big game to win. The crowd sounded nuts tonight after Quentins eighth inning blast. Lets keep this train rolling!

White City
TCQ's average keeps creeping up. Finish it hot and he'll be above .300 AVG, probably ~45 HRs, a whole mess of RBIs -- he will have a serious case for MVP.

October26
08-08-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm here, Mary!

And I was in the gamethread too. What a great pitching performance by Mark Buehrle today! Mark really came through for our Sox today. Then Dotel gave up that home run to Pedroia late in the game and my stomach began to churn. It is never easy to beat the Red Sox.

When Carlos Quentin hit that home run in the 8th, I was able to take a deep breath and then finally could exhale when Bobby closed out the game. :D:

Sox win! Sox win! :bandance:Keep it going!

WhiteSox5187
08-08-2008, 09:55 PM
TCQ's average keeps creeping up. Finish it hot and he'll be above .300 AVG, probably ~45 HRs, a whole mess of RBIs -- he will have a serious case for MVP.
If the Sox make the playoffs he has a serious chance at the MVP.

MarySwiss
08-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Not much to get the Clouds going. No Clouds, no thread.

Well, West; when we get down to this point in the season, and the Sox are still in first, I'd like to think that the Pollyannas should start to outnumber the Clouds.

But then again, I was a cheerleader, so ...

...c'mon Sox fans, Waddaya Say, Let's put Boston a-way-ay-ay!

turners56
08-08-2008, 09:56 PM
There goes that rally for the Royals. You can pretty much bank on a Twins victory if Guerrier pitches a solid 8th.

Soxman219
08-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Red Sox fans not talking is music to my ears. Everyone probably went to the game or at a bar somewhere. Nice gem by Buehrle, CQ comes through again, and Jenks nails 'em down. Great Win!

Let's hope Contreas comes back to the 2nd half of '05 form and get another win. Contreas is 4-1 when I attend the Cell so I'm leaning on that.:smile:

1 down, 3 to go

turners56
08-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Well, West; when we get down to this point in the season, and the Sox are still in first, I'd like to think that the Pollyannas should start to outnumber the Clouds.

But then again, I was a cheerleader, so ...

...c'mon Sox fans, Waddaya Say, Let's put Boston a-way-ay-ay!

My thread today was going to be "Sox Sock Sawx"...creative eh? Then I noticed I forgot the Official part and canceled it.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-08-2008, 09:58 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the Twins right now. The Sox need to take care of business and they'll win the division. (Not to mention, the Twins play 24 of 30 on the road starting Aug. 21.)

WhiteSox5187
08-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Twins get out of it...I don't know who their eighth inning guy, but hopefully the Royals can get a lead in the eighth and avoid Nathan.

Vestigio
08-08-2008, 09:59 PM
What was with AJ yelling at Carrasco at the end of the 8th inning when they were headed into the dugout?

KnightSox
My thread today was going to be "Sox Sock Sawx"...creative eh? Then I noticed I forgot the Official part and canceled it.Use it tomorrow.

Noneck
Quentin is amazing to watch this year. I have not seen anyone on the Sox like this since Dick Allen in 1972.

MarySwiss
My thread today was going to be "Sox Sock Sawx"...creative eh? Then I noticed I forgot the Official part and canceled it.

Turners--
save it for tomorrow! :-)

JB98
08-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Tonight's game is an example of the formula we need for the rest of the year. We got great starting pitching. The opposing team threw a good pitcher at us, but our hitters took advantage of scoring opportunities when they presented themselves.

Dotel screwed the pooch tonight, but fortunately, the rest of the bullpen picked him up.

turners56
08-08-2008, 10:00 PM

If the Sox take the division, he will be MVP. I really don't think there's much debate if he has those numbers and the Sox are playing in October.

You can argue Hamilton, Bradley, Morneau, and Kinsler, but they just have better stats. And it's not even THAT much better. I really don't think most of the MVP voters take OPS and OPS+ as seriously as the triple crown numbers, even though they really don't judge the ability of an individual as well.

.300 45 HR 120+ RBI with an OPS of .950 should be the league MVP; especially if the player's team is in the playoffs.

October26
08-08-2008, 10:01 PM
What was with AJ yelling at Carrasco at the end of the 8th inning when they were headed into the dugout?

I saw that and was wondering the same thing. AJ was really screaming his head off.... Wonder why?

Tragg
Tonight's game is an example of the formula we need for the rest of the year. We got great starting pitching. The opposing team threw a good pitcher at us, but our hitters took advantage of scoring opportunities when they presented themselves.

Dotel screwed the pooch tonight, but fortunately, the rest of the bullpen picked him up.
Thornton looks back in form - that will help.

WhiteSox5187
I think AJ was yelling at the ump as Carrasco was getting squeezed there.

turners56
08-08-2008, 10:02 PM
I saw that and was wondering the same thing. AJ was really screaming his head off.... Wonder why?

Cause he sucked and A.J. bailed him out big time.

JB98
08-08-2008, 10:03 PM

I thought maybe he was upset with Carrasco for either A) not throwing strikes or B) not helping him locate the pop up off the bat of Lowell or C) both.

Don't know for certain. Speculating.

Mohoney
Quentin is amazing to watch this year. I have not seen anyone on the Sox like this since Dick Allen in 1972.
:hurt

"Ahem..."

October26
I think AJ was yelling at the ump as Carrasco was getting squeezed there.

Perhaps that was it.

Regarding the 8th inning, we really miss Linebrink. I hope he can get back soon, but I believe that I read or heard today that there is no scheduled date for his return.

johnnyg83
08-08-2008, 10:04 PM
great win ... awesome outing by 56. TCQ adds to the legend and some dirty runs before that.

turners56
:hurt

"Ahem..."

I agree, the 2000 version of Frank Thomas was better.

Cuck the Fubs
Carlos is THE man!

Guys been clutch all year long!

Keep rolling guys

SoxSpeed22
08-08-2008, 10:05 PM
There's our ace. :bandance:
Good smallball gets us the first 4 runs, TCQ for the insurance and the Sox maintain the division lead.
Let's hope Contreras does well tomorrow coming back from the DL.

WhiteSox5187
08-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Perhaps that was it.

Regarding the 8th inning, we really miss Linebrink. I hope he can get back soon, but I believe that I reard or head today that there is no scheduled date for his return.
I think I read in the paper he is not coming back anytime soon. Probably not until late August at the earliest. Meanwhile the Royals go to the eighth trailing by two with Reyes on the mound and he's having a hard time throwing strikes...but of course as I say that he gets to 1-1 on DeJesus.

hawkjt
08-08-2008, 10:07 PM

Yea, AJ looked very pissed at DJ ....maybe he did not point out the foul ball quick enough?

WhiteSox5187
08-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Two down in the bottom of the eight Royals down by two.

BUMMER
08-08-2008, 10:13 PM
I was about to make a thread naming it the exact same thing...I thought better of it when I saw yours. :rolleyes:

Great win.

This is probably Buehrle's best start against the Red Sox and probably one of his best this year.

Quentin with the big insurance home run and Jenks does his thing.

We executed on every single term today. We didn't beat ourselves, that's the big thing.

If anything, Boston made a lot of great plays on D aside from that costly screw up by Bay on Alexei's bloop single.

It should of been a lot easier, but we prevail. We remain in first and are 8.5 ahead of the lame Tiggers. This was a important win considering we had a 4-0 lead and Contreras is going tomorrow. Win 2 of the next 3 and I'll be really happy. Win 1 of the next 3 and it won't be so bad either. Hopefully, we can make this a statement series and finally make those people at Bristol notice us a bit. Oh wait...they already have and it didn't work so well...

As you said, a lot of good things tonite....CQ's insurance run made it just a bit more easier to "survive" the bullpen's walks and OD's hanging curveball 3-run HR.
I wish all would quit hoping for 1 of 3 or 2 of 3. We got the first one, let's win 'em all !!! There may be wild-card implications at stake.

Noneck
08-08-2008, 10:14 PM
I agree, the 2000 version of Frank Thomas was better.

Better hitter, Yes. A player that does what it takes in key situations and carries a team year long, No. Stats won't explain what I am talking about.

Vienna
08-08-2008, 10:18 PM
I wonder how Peter Gammons is doing? Will he stop weeping long enough to give an update on "Baseball Tonight"?

October26
08-08-2008, 10:19 PM
I'll look forward to reading posts from Sox fans who attended the game tonight. The crowd was electric and it really seemed like a playoff game atmosphere. Hawk had an extra charge in his voice too - he loves it when we beat the Carmines!

JB98
08-08-2008, 10:21 PM
As you said, a lot of good things tonite....CQ's insurance run made it just a bit more easier to "survive" the bullpen's walks and OD's hanging curveball 3-run HR.
I wish all would quit hoping for 1 of 3 or 2 of 3. We got the first one, let's win 'em all !!! There may be wild-card implications at stake.

I like the point Cora made in one of his press conferences while Ozzie was suspended. Joey said it's important to win games, forget about series wins and all that garbage. Every day's game is important now. It doesn't matter whether we won or lost yesterday. It's games won and games lost that you are judged by, not series won and series lost.

I'm not looking for three out of four or a split against Boston. I'm looking to win tomorrow, and that's all.

EuroSox35
08-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Great win. Buehrle was huge! It was nice to manufacture some runs early too

Speaking of huge, maybe it was the HD or the camera angles, but man, I really noticed what a tub of lard 'Papi' is tonight, I just figured he was really big and muscular, but on that swing when he had no chance of Mark's curve, fat everywhere

voodoochile
08-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Two down in the bottom of the eight Royals down by two.

Please talk about this in the TB forum, not the Sox postgame thread.

voodoochile
08-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Better hitter, Yes. A player that does what it takes in key situations and carries a team year long, No. Stats won't explain what I am talking about.

How about the 1994 version?

arKnaD7
08-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Great W tonight against a great team.

Tomorrows game is HUGE because of Jose pitching. If he can return to anything close to the way we all know he can pitch, that could take this team to the next level.

BUMMER
08-08-2008, 10:30 PM
I like the point Cora made in one of his press conferences while Ozzie was suspended. Joey said it's important to win games, forget about series wins and all that garbage. Every day's game is important now. It doesn't matter whether we won or lost yesterday. It's games won and games lost that you are judged by, not series won and series lost.

I'm not looking for three out of four or a split against Boston. I'm looking to win tomorrow, and that's all.
EXACTLY! 48 games left. (I'd like to go 48 - 0, but then again, I'd like to be 20 years old again also). All we can root for is for the White Sox to win tomorrow.....and go from there....I don't want a series win or a series split, I want to see a win every single game...Just like games vs. Minn & Detr counted double in division race, games vs Bost count double in wild-card race.

voodoochile
08-08-2008, 10:32 PM
These games may end up being just as important as the ones against Minnesota. The Sox are now tied with Boston in the loss column and only one game back for the lead in the WC. I hope and expect to win the division, but it's nice to have a fall back plan.

Heck of a job manufacturing runs early in the game. Cabrera had a nice night offensively. What can you say about TCQ that hasn't already been said. He's a machine.

Dotel was just trying to get Bobby a save opportunity and it worked.

:winner:

:supernana:

:)

Edit: Oh and I can't believe I left out BurlyMon. That's why he's an ace.

southside rocks
08-08-2008, 10:57 PM
At the game, I was! Out in section 102, gorgeous night, great win -- aside from that little oops by Dotel that made a lot of fans very anxious -- Buehrle was THE Mark Buehrle, TCQ was just wow, Paulie was horrible, Ramirez was dazzling in the field, and Bobby was The Boom. And AJ was brilliant.

There were a lot of Red Sox fans there. In my area they were pretty well-behaved, but I'm sure that if the score had gone the other way they'd have expressed themselves differently.

The Red Sox are not the same without Manny Ramirez. And the rest of the AL East is very glad of that, I'm sure.

Noneck
08-08-2008, 10:59 PM
How about the 1994 version?
Thomas was a great hitter but he never had that "something" that Allen had in 1972. Allen did whatever it took in key situations and carried the team all year. BTW: I have heard Rich Gossage say that Dick Allen was the best player he ever played with. That should tell you something.

I can not and wont compare stats from Thomas MVP years to Allens, it comes down to what Allen did in situations in 72 and the feeling I had with Allen and now have with Quentin, when they come to bat. I never had that feeling with Thomas.

Sockinchisox
08-08-2008, 11:06 PM
There was an insane amount of Red Sox fans there tonight, luckily they didn't have much to cheer about other than Pedroia's homer. Good game though, got a little too close near the end but a win is a win.

The fireworks show tonight was the spectacular as well :cool:.

jabrch
08-08-2008, 11:15 PM
I don't want a series win or a series split, I want to see a win every single game...

I want to be 7 feet tall and to be able to whistle dixie out my ass - but it isn't going to happen. So wanting it is stupid and naive. Wanting to win serieses is not only realisic, but it would accomplish what our real goal is - getting to the playoffs.

chisoxfanatic
08-08-2008, 11:20 PM
This is an excellent start to my weekend! Big, big game to win. The crowd sounded nuts tonight after Quentins eighth inning blast. Lets keep this train rolling!
The crowd was nuts after that home run. It was one of the loudest moments of the season in games I've been to, and I've been to 17. It was more of a "wheew, insurance!" thing than anything. His hitting that HR after we had given up those three runs was absolutely HUGE! They just had to get at least one run there, and they did!
I'll look forward to reading posts from Sox fans who attended the game tonight. The crowd was electric and it really seemed like a playoff game atmosphere. Hawk had an extra charge in his voice too - he loves it when we beat the Carmines!
It truly did feel like a playoff atmosphere. Though it was pretty quiet the first few innings, things heated up after the couple runs we scored in the 4th. The Red Sox fans had no chance to try to take over the ballpark tonight! I LOVED that! Our Sox made the plays and hits at the right times to quickly neutralize any type of momentum they could've had.

Buehrle's standing ovation was LOUD! I was so proud of what he did tonight! He needed that in the worst way to get the brain farts he's hat lately out of his system. Hopefully he'll get the best of KC next Wednesday.
There was an insane amount of Red Sox fans there tonight, luckily they didn't have much to cheer about other than Pedroia's homer. Good game though, got a little too close near the end but a win is a win.

The fireworks show tonight was the spectacular as well :cool:.
There were much less Red Sox fans there tonight than last year at least! And, did you notice how droves of them left right after the game? They didn't even want to stay for the fireworks! LOL!

I went with a few others to the Bullpen Sports Bar after the game, and I only saw a few Red Sox fans in there. The rest were all Sox fans.

Tonight was just a gorgeous night from the weather to the starting and closing pitching to the timely hitting to the fireworks to the high-fiving tons of Sox fans on the way up to the concourse after the fireworks to the time at the Bullpen Sports Bar. Way to go, Sox!

hawkjt
08-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Kevin Youklis is having a big year but his stance at the plate is just about the most irritating 10 seconds in baseball. He shimmys his ass like he is a naked ballet girl, moves his hand up and down on the bat like he is working his own organ, and it up on his tiptoes like a real ballet dancer...I know...it works for him but I am glad we dont have to watch it more than two series a year.

soltrain21
08-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Just got back from the game. It was a playoff type atmosphere the whole time. AJ's deliberate pickle was one of the smartest plays I've seen - that was just awesome. The Red Sox really crapped the bed on that one.

Konerko05
08-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Kevin Youklis is having a big year but his stance at the plate is just about the most irritating 10 seconds in baseball. He shimmys his ass like he is a naked ballet girl, moves his hand up and down on the bat like he is working his own organ, and it up on his tiptoes like a real ballet dancer...I know...it works for him but I am glad we dont have to watch it more than two series a year.

Youkilis doing his little shimmy... it makes the women here in Chicago puke.

peeonwrigley
08-08-2008, 11:27 PM

:rolling:

As a fellow Youk-hater, one of my favorite posts this year.

Sockinchisox
08-08-2008, 11:37 PM
There were much less Red Sox fans there tonight than last year at least! And, did you notice how droves of them left right after the game? They didn't even want to stay for the fireworks! LOL!

Ya, almost all of them left as soon as the game ended. The only time I really felt the Red Sox fans presence was when Pedroia hit his HR. But after Quentin hit his HR there was a definite "phew!" feeling in everyone around haha.

Zisk77
08-08-2008, 11:41 PM
I love the hit n run and getting runs after a succesful sacrifice. Thats the white sox baseball that i've been missing.

LongLiveFisk
08-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Buehrle's standing ovation was LOUD! I was so proud of what he did tonight! He needed that in the worst way to get the brain farts he's hat lately out of his system. Hopefully he'll get the best of KC next Wednesday.

I went with a few others to the Bullpen Sports Bar after the game, and I only saw a few Red Sox fans in there. The rest were all Sox fans.

That's what I figured when I was listening in my car--I wasn't hearing loud cheering when the Red Sox got a hit or anything like that. I did see a young Red Sox fan on his feet and applauding Buehrle as he walked off the field near the Sox dugout. It's nice to see young kids displaying sportsmanship.

Konerko05
08-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Today the sox played great fundamental baseball. I can't remember the last time I've seen the Sox play so well. The part that gives me hope is that it was against a playoff calibur team. This is the kind of baseball we have to play to get into the playoffs and win in the playoffs.

tebman
08-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Game attendee reporting...

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Buehrle is a pleasure to watch when he does what he does best. Dotel made me crazy, though I think it was an aberration since he's been lights-out for most of the season. Jenks looked shaky tonight -- seemed to have a harder time throwing strikes and then hit a batter.

And TCQ! He truly is a machine. AJ gave a clinic on how to help your team with that well-engineered rundown that allowed the run to score. Even Uribe got a couple of solid hits tonight.

There were a lot of Red Sox fans there. They were generally well-behaved, but where the hell do they come from? I can't imagine that many people make the trip from New England. Are there that many local people who have been hypnotized by Chris Berman?

Here's to a great win! Let's get the next 23 in a row, boys! :gulp:

LongLiveFisk
08-09-2008, 12:01 AM
There were a lot of Red Sox fans there. They were generally well-behaved, but where the hell do they come from? I can't imagine that many people make the trip from New England. Are there that many local people who have been hypnotized by Chris Berman?

Yep, him and Peter Gammons, whom I'm convinced has taken up residence inside the Fenway scoreboard.

hawkjt
08-09-2008, 12:50 AM
I should note Orlando Cabrera's huge contribution tonite. Two very nice clutch hits that result in 3 runs. Solid defense. All around good game for OC.:D:

Nellie_Fox
08-09-2008, 01:00 AM

I think AJ was yelling at the ump as Carrasco was getting squeezed there.Yeah, I saw it more as AJ screaming at the ump, without looking at him, to avoid getting tossed.

LoveYourSuit
08-09-2008, 01:26 AM

Just got back from the postgame bar stop, the ballpark did have a play-off feel to it. But way too many Red Sox fans to my liking. It is starting to become a close race between them and Cub fans on which fan base I hate more. I hate Yankee fans too but they have something huge to hang their hat on with that winning tradition, sort of like all the Bulls fans found around the entire nation. But Red Sox fans are as arrogant as they come. Glad they barely had anything to cheer tonight.

Buehrle was awesome tonight and working quick as usual. His location on the fastball was dead on from where I was watching, I think in KC he had ZERO location and is why he took the beat down. I tip my hat to him because this was one of the pitching matchups I did not see in our favor for the entire series. Lester was pretty good too tonight but the Sox played "fundemental small ball" beleive it or not and just went with pitches up the middle and RF. Very nice to see. I hope Walker slams the tape on these guys so they don't forget how to beat a solid LH pitcher.

Bullpen did give us the usual scare at the end and is one area I am still very nervous about until Linebrink gets back. Carrasco as your set man to Bobby vs Boston is not something I look forward to again. But the Red Sox IMO are champioship caliber club and they wiill give any bullpen out there a fight until the final out. When our bullpen throws like crap vs KC, that's when we should really have an issue.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Vernam
08-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Yeah, I saw it more as AJ screaming at the ump, without looking at him, to avoid getting tossed.My impression was that Carrasco had said something to the ump as he left the field, and AJ -- because he's smart, IMO -- was telling Carrasco to shut the **** up.

Sweet victory to get the taste of Boston's last visit out of our mouths. If Jose comes up big tomorrow, I reserve the right to get giddy about our chances the rest of the way in.

Vernam

BUMMER
08-09-2008, 05:55 AM
I want to be 7 feet tall and to be able to whistle dixie out my ass - but it isn't going to happen. So wanting it is stupid and naive. Wanting to win serieses is not only realisic, but it would accomplish what our real goal is - getting to the playoffs.
Missed my point. I'm not being stupid nor naive. (I said I'd like to be 20 again - I'm nearly 60, ain't never gonna see 20). And we all know they're NOT going to win every game. But after Minn won the first 2 games last week at the Humpdome, I don't think the Twins fans said that they hoped they'd split - no, they wanted to bury the Sox all 4. And now that the Sox won game 1 vs Bost, I'd be very disappointed in a series split. If the Bosox win tonite, then you root for 3 of 4 because that's the best you can get. I like that killer mentality. I'd want all the players on my team to WANT to win every game the rest of the year. In reality, what I'd settle for is just one more win than both Minny & Detr at the end of the reg season. Whattya think it will take - 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 wins?

jabrch
08-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Missed my point. I'm not being stupid nor naive. (I said I'd like to be 20 again - I'm nearly 60, ain't never gonna see 20). And we all know they're NOT going to win every game. But after Minn won the first 2 games last week at the Humpdome, I don't think the Twins fans said that they hoped they'd split - no, they wanted to bury the Sox all 4. And now that the Sox won game 1 vs Bost, I'd be very disappointed in a series split. If the Bosox win tonite, then you root for 3 of 4 because that's the best you can get. I like that killer mentality. I'd want all the players on my team to WANT to win every game the rest of the year. In reality, what I'd settle for is just one more win than both Minny & Detr at the end of the reg season. Whattya think it will take - 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 wins?

All of that is true - but to walk into a series saying, "I want to win the series" is not not settling at all. That's what I disagree with.

Sure - you want to win each game. But you also want to win each series. If you do that, you will make it to the playoffs -which should be the only goal at this point.

roylestillman
08-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Very nice win. We were sitting in front of a bunch of 20-something Red Sox fans (Ever notice how the F-bomb coming at you with a New England accent doesn't even sound like swearing) who were harder on their own team - Bay in particular - than they were on the Sox. Needless to say they didn't stick around for the fireworks.

GlassSox
08-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Excellent night and the Sawx fans in our area were fairly quiet and there were no issues.

it doesn't get much better than being at a well played game with some friends, great weather, fireworks, beer,........ah life is good.

alohafri
08-09-2008, 09:18 AM
I wonder how Peter Gammons is doing? Will he stop weeping long enough to give an update on "Baseball Tonight"?

Does ESPN even cover the Red Sox when they lose?

Great game all around (well, except for Dotel).

Tragg
08-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Sure - you want to win each game. But you also want to win each series. If you do that, you will make it to the playoffs -which should be the only goal at this point.
Winning each series is a far, far more unrealistic goal than, say, wanting to sweep a poor team like the Tigers.

palehozenychicty
08-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Jason Bay is good but the Red Sox don't scare me anymore like they did with Manny Ramirez.

Unfortunately he will be with the Yankees next year.

His contract runs through 2009 at a rate below market value. He ain't going to the Yankees.

voodoochile
08-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Winning each series is a far, far more unrealistic goal than, say, wanting to sweep a poor team like the Tigers.

Now hold on. Tigers may not be the world beaters many were proclaiming them to be, but they're hardly chopped liver either. They have a potentially very powerful lineup and can put runs on the board in bunches. They also have at least a couple of decent starters even if they don't have any aces.

There simply aren't any 2007 KC Royals in the AL this year. Everyone has some talent and any team truly can beat any other team on any given day. That's normally true of baseball in general, but more so this year when only one team in the AL is below .400 and everyone of them save those Mariners is currently on a pace to win 70 games.

Hitmen77
08-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Huge win! Sox stay ahead of the Twins and gain another game on the Tigers. Plus, if worse comes to worse vs. the Twins, the Sox are only 1 game behind the current Wild Card leader (Red Sox).

IMO, tonight's game is going to be the toughest in this series for us to win. Matsuzaka is outstanding and I have my doubts that Jose is going to return and suddenly pitch like an ace. So, I'm glad we got a win yesterday.

voodoochile
08-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Huge win! Sox stay ahead of the Twins and gain another game on the Tigers. Plus, if worse comes to worse vs. the Twins, the Sox are only 1 game behind the current Wild Card leader (Red Sox).

IMO, tonight's game is going to be the toughest in this series for us to win. Matsuzaka is outstanding and I have my doubts that Jose is going to return and suddenly pitch like an ace. So, I'm glad we got a win yesterday.

If he's healthy, look for Jose to have a good game. He not only wants to prove he can still pitch, but he's always been a big game pitcher.

palehozenychicty
08-09-2008, 10:26 AM

They can get to him if they show a little patience and zone on the fastball. He has so many pitches, but doesn't always throw them for strikes. I'm also intrigued to see if Contreras can give a solid start. He'll be a little rusty, but six good innings will be a boost.

hawkjt
08-09-2008, 10:39 AM
The way the Red Sox take pitches, Jose has to have better than usual control or he will walk the world and get run outta there. I think he could but he does not have a good track record vs the Red Sox. Throw strikes,JOSE!!!

jabrch
08-09-2008, 11:35 AM
The way the Red Sox take pitches, Jose has to have better than usual control or he will walk the world and get run outta there. I think he could but he does not have a good track record vs the Red Sox. Throw strikes,JOSE!!!

I think he needs to lead with his fastball and use the forkball as a knockout pitch instead of leading with the Fork.

That said - I trust Coop and Guillen have a good gameplan. Let's see if Jose can execute.

LoveYourSuit
08-09-2008, 12:28 PM
If he's healthy, look for Jose to have a good game. He not only wants to prove he can still pitch, but he's always been a big game pitcher.

Unlike Javy, Jose does turn it up a notch when a huge game vs a huge opponent is out there for us.

I have to agree with that.

October26
08-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted their perspectives after attending the game last night. I enjoyed reading every post. I hope that Jose Contreras is indeed healthy and will pitch well against the Red Sox tonight.

:gosox: White Sox, that is!