PDA

View Full Version : Griffey...more of the same...bad

soxfan45
08-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Great, another free-swinging bad fielder....just what we need.

Last night another typical old man washed up performance: 2Ks and 4 LOB (and an inability to get a key 1 out fly ball). Not to mention a gift triple to Guillen that should have been a double.

Tremendously helpful when your pitching staff is struggling....

Steelrod
08-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the insite!

aryzner
08-08-2008, 09:30 AM
While Griffey Jr's performance so far has not been all that great and sort of disappointing, I do have to say that at least Paul Konerko went 3 for 4 last night.

I hope Paul Konerko can go 3 for 4 or better every game this weekend and then some.

Also the Sox are still in 1st.

This post has been meant to get you to look on the bright side of things!

hi im skot
08-08-2008, 09:36 AM
What a bastard.

Good thing Ehren Wassermann looked good last night.

Oh, wait...

slavko
08-08-2008, 09:47 AM
And how did the thread starter say something that we don't already know but can't say (yet)?

balke
08-08-2008, 09:55 AM
:threadsucks

PhillipsBubba
08-08-2008, 10:37 AM
I must admit, Junior has been underwhelming so far.

If Konerko builds on last nights game, it will be more difficult for Ozzie to find a place to play Griffey, unless Swisher sits more.

I think he'll hit...but the fielding...OMG!

Foulke You
08-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Jeez, 6 games and some of you have deemed Griffey to be a bust? Cut the guy some slack. He just got traded from the hometown team he had played with for 9 season. This is his first home series with us and he is just getting settled in. I'm sure he probably is trying to do too much to make an impression on the new fans and team. If he hits two HRs tonight are you going to declare the trade a success then? I love the conclusions people jump to based on small sample sizes. "I saw Griffey for 6 games and only 1 of the 6 did he help us win therefore, the trade is a bust." Gimme a break...

Britt Burns
08-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Yes, I agree! Carlos had a bad game last week so we should dump him as well. And Paulie, thank goodness we got rid of him during his slump so he's not on the team when his bat has been heating up right when we can use it. Thome's an old washed up guy too, and he struck out the other night. The nerve!

I won't even bother putting this in teal.

WhiteSoxBlog
08-08-2008, 12:37 PM
It's too early to pass judgement. All I can say is that Ozzie's been workin the rotation and the fielding around Griffey for the past few games (exception: game 2 against Detroit, which he sat out), taking Dye out yesterday so he had a place in RF, messing with Swish and Konerko's (and even Thome's) playing time, so it better turn out to be worthwhile.

TomBradley72
08-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Maybe he is "settling in", etc. But he doesn't seem very selective at the plate, his bat speed looks slow---he can't catch up with the fastball, and he looks VERY slow in the outfield with very limited range. He's a 38 y.o. veteran/super star...I have a hard time believing you can attribute this to being on a new team.

When Griffey is out there...we have BY FAR the slowest outfield in the major leagues...and it always catches up with you...and leads to extra outs and more runs for the opponent.

captain54
08-08-2008, 12:51 PM
If it wasn't for Junior in the first game of the KC series, the Sox might have been swept...

I agree, however, that the fielding looks bad bad bad

balke
08-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Maybe he is "settling in", etc. But he doesn't seem very selective at the plate, his bat speed looks slow---he can't catch up with the fastball, and he looks VERY slow in the outfield with very limited range. He's a 38 y.o. veteran/super star...I have a hard time believing you can attribute this to being on a new team.

When Griffey is out there...we have BY FAR the slowest outfield in the major leagues...and it always catches up with you...and leads to extra outs and more runs for the opponent.

When Griffey and Swish are out there together, maybe. Dye Griff and Quentin haven't had much trouble IMO. Swisher isn't a speed demon or defensive superstar out there. With Griffey's reaction off the ball, I'd say Griffey is better in CF. He's not as good a RFer as Dye though.

Adele_H
08-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Great, another free-swinging bad fielder....just what we need.

Last night another typical old man washed up performance: 2Ks and 4 LOB (and an inability to get a key 1 out fly ball). Not to mention a gift triple to Guillen that should have been a double.

Tremendously helpful when your pitching staff is struggling....

Great, Griffey's people are probably all over this as we speak; this type of stuff gets to Griffey very quickly. His feelings are easy to hurt.

It reflects badly on all of us, man. Just like booing a player, not cool

:(

salty99
08-08-2008, 01:02 PM
I like Griffey out there once in a while, but I would much rather see JD and Thome play right now then Griffey.

EuroSox35
08-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Yeah, he was a savior after one game, he shouldn't be used in the 2 spot after 1 game, etc etc etc

JB98
08-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Griffey looks like he's pressing, trying to impress his new teammates and fans.

And, of course, being the *******s we are, we're ready to give up on him already.

This thread sucks hard.

Hitmen77
08-08-2008, 02:58 PM
It's too early to pass judgement. All I can say is that Ozzie's been workin the rotation and the fielding around Griffey for the past few games (exception: game 2 against Detroit, which he sat out), taking Dye out yesterday so he had a place in RF, messing with Swish and Konerko's (and even Thome's) playing time, so it better turn out to be worthwhile.

I don't think Ozzie took Dye out just so he had a place for Griffey to play. He hadn't missed a game in over two weeks and he played all 14 innings the night before. At some point Dye was going to sit and if Griffey wasn't starting, it would be Anderson or Wise.

jabrch
08-08-2008, 03:04 PM

And, of course, being the *******s we are, we're ready to give up on him already.

This thread sucks hard.

No kidding...It's amazing how such a large portion of our fan base can suck so bad.

TomBradley72
08-08-2008, 03:13 PM
When Griffey and Swish are out there together, maybe. Dye Griff and Quentin haven't had much trouble IMO. Swisher isn't a speed demon or defensive superstar out there. With Griffey's reaction off the ball, I'd say Griffey is better in CF. He's not as good a RFer as Dye though.

No way is Griffey better than Swisher in CF. And Swisher is probably one of the worst everyday CFs in the American League. We have 4 corner OFs for two corner spots. And we leave the Gold Glove level CF on the bench so we can get .230's/240's production from guys playing out of positon. Griffey as a DH and occasional corner OF and extra depth against injury I can handle....but not as a CF.

balke
08-08-2008, 03:16 PM
No way is Griffey better than Swisher in CF. And Swisher is probably one of the worst everyday CFs in the American League. We have 4 corner OFs for two corner spots. And we leave the Gold Glove level CF on the bench so we can get .230's/240's production from guys playing out of positon. Griffey as a DH and occasional corner OF and extra depth against injury I can handle....but not as a CF.

I haven't seen any mental mistakes in CF from Griff, and when a ball is hit, he knows where its going. I wouldn't be surprised if he was quicker to the ball than Swisher, who virtually runs in place while sprinting. If I'm choosing between two guys I think are weak in CF, I'll take the guy with the Bat. That's Griffey.

TomBradley72
08-08-2008, 03:17 PM

This thread sucks hard.

I can see that point as far as his hitting goes. But there's no way you can attribute his defense to "pressing". It's called "old age". He's 38, had a ton of injuries over the past few years...how many 38 year old sluggers can still play CF or RF? Not many. Doesn't make us *******s. Doesn't make him a bad guy. It's old age. Happens to everyone.

jdm2662
08-08-2008, 03:20 PM
If picking up Jr. means Konerko is getting his head out of ass and starts hitting more, then it was well worth it. Konerko might be coming around now. The threat of being benched may have helped.

TomBradley72
08-08-2008, 03:21 PM
I haven't seen any mental mistakes in CF from Griff, and when a ball is hit, he knows where its going. I wouldn't be surprised if he was quicker to the ball than Swisher, who virtually runs in place while sprinting. If I'm choosing between two guys I think are weak in CF, I'll take the guy with the Bat. That's Griffey.

Purely as a CF....Mackowiak, Erstad, Swisher, Griffey are all part of the same three year strategy of putting a little extra offense ahead of solid defense in CF. It cost us at least 5-6 games in 2006. It will cost us down the stretch drive and in the post season if we make it.

JB98
08-08-2008, 03:22 PM
I can see that point as far as his hitting goes. But there's no way you can attribute his defense to "pressing". It's called "old age". He's 38, had a ton of injuries over the past few years...how many 38 year old sluggers can still play CF or RF? Not many. Doesn't make us *******s. Doesn't make him a bad guy. It's old age. Happens to everyone.

But our outfield defense has been bad all year. Without Griffey, it was bad. With Griffey, it is bad. Still, we've been in first place most of the year. I don't spend a lot of time concerning myself with the outfield defense.

JB98
08-08-2008, 03:24 PM
If picking up Jr. means Konerko is getting his head out of ass and starts hitting more, then it was well worth it. Konerko might be coming around now. The threat of being benched may have helped.

True. Konerko suckage was the biggest reason for the Griffey acquisition. Now, Ozzie has options if Paulie insists on hitting .215 or .220 all year.

soxfan45
08-08-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm not down on Griffey but I (and even he admittedly) think that he is not being optimally used. He has played 5 of 7 games as an eligable White Sox player and has made at least 2 very poor OF plays that have cost the club runs. He just isn't an everyday MLB defensive player anymore, and at least for a team in a divisonal race. To me, he exacerbates the weaknesses of our club.

balke
08-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Purely as a CF....Mackowiak, Erstad, Swisher, Griffey are all part of the same three year strategy of putting a little extra offense ahead of solid defense in CF. It cost us at least 5-6 games in 2006. It will cost us down the stretch drive and in the post season if we make it.

Erstad was in theory supposed to be an all around OFer. I would've liked to see Anderson over him, but I can't justify Anderson or Wise over Griffey just yet. This team didn't hit for the first two months of this season, and that cost them more than 5-6 games.

TomBradley72
08-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Erstad was in theory supposed to be an all around OFer. I would've liked to see Anderson over him, but I can't justify Anderson or Wise over Griffey just yet. This team didn't hit for the first two months of this season, and that cost them more than 5-6 games.

None of the guys I mentioned was signed to be a CF. But when it came to making a choice...Ozzie has chosen to play guys out of position in CF. Anderson is on track for 20 HRs-65 RBIs if he had 500 ABs...combined with his defense I think we're better off than with Swisher's .230's (+ walks) or Griffey's (.240's). Not looking to get into a whole FOBA thing...but this time of year...mediocre defense leads to extra outs/runs...kills a pitching staff.

TomBradley72
08-08-2008, 03:31 PM
I don't spend a lot of time concerning myself with the outfield defense.

Why?

balke
08-08-2008, 03:54 PM
None of the guys I mentioned was signed to be a CF. But when it came to making a choice...Ozzie has chosen to play guys out of position in CF. Anderson is on track for 20 HRs-65 RBIs if he had 500 ABs...combined with his defense I think we're better off than with Swisher's .230's (+ walks) or Griffey's (.240's). Not looking to get into a whole FOBA thing...but this time of year...mediocre defense leads to extra outs/runs...kills a pitching staff.

I'm a big Anderson supporter, but to be honest the more playing time he gets, the worse he seems to do at the plate. He's fit his role well, and came up big in pinch hit at-bats, but stringing games together hasn't been his strong suit.

I think out of all the options, CF by committee is the best option. Wise might be the best choice out of all of them right now. I wouldn't want to bet the season on it though.

LoveYourSuit
08-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I am not going to close this chapter on a future hall of famer just after 6 games. He already won us one game in case some of you guys forgot.

champagne030
08-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Why?

Because it fits his argument that BA sucks and any sorryass OF should be playing ahead of him.

And, as a FOBA, I'm not for starting Anderson over any of our OF's on a regular basis, other than Wise.

Harry Chappas
08-08-2008, 04:31 PM
I think Griffey's struggles on defense have less to do with his age and more to do with the spare tire he appears to be hiding under his jersey. Although, you could argue that his gut is the result of his age - I know mine is.

Still, I'm not giving up on Junior and think the trade will pay dividends even if it just means giving our OF a break every now and then.

It's Dankerific
08-08-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm a big Anderson supporter, but to be honest the more playing time he gets, the worse he seems to do at the plate. He's fit his role well, and came up big in pinch hit at-bats, but stringing games together hasn't been his strong suit.

I think out of all the options, CF by committee is the best option. Wise might be the best choice out of all of them right now. I wouldn't want to bet the season on it though.

that simply isn't true and not supported by facts. I just pulled up this years game log.

aug 2 and 3, both 2 at bats, one hit a day.

his most recent stretch of semi regular playing time, june 11-july 8
14 games with 3+ atbats, 10 games with a hit.

check for yourselves: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7489/gamelog;_ylt=Aj.RS5pFJl2pK8mlLkxyBeCFCLcF

----------
I've given up hope of seeing BA in CF as a White Sox with any regularity. I've also learned from the board that wanting good defense, especially in the outfield, would mean I was a bad or sucky Sox fan. But lets not let the anti-BA skew reality.

I'm rooting for Griffey to put up some big Offensive numbers. He seems like he's pressing. Hopefully it all sorts out to our advantage. we are definitely giving up runs on defense for some offense, though. I hope we get him his ring.

russ99
08-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Junior will be fine. He's also switching leagues and there's an adjustment period. He hasn't seen a lot of the opposing pitchers before.

Mark my words, he's gonna come up huge for us at least once this season and/or if we make the postseason.

DickAllen72
08-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Junior will be fine. He's also switching leagues and there's an adjustment period. He hasn't seen a lot of the opposing pitchers before.

Mark my words, he's gonna come up huge for us at least once this season and/or if we make the postseason.
Griffey will be fine at the plate, but he has no business playing in the field. Everything hit in his direction that is not right to him turns into a double or a triple.

thomas35forever
08-08-2008, 05:33 PM
I knew after last night's game, people would be jumping all over Griffey. Such typical fans of us. We get a new player, they're subpar for the first six games, and the deal is deemed the worst ever. Apparently, patience is not a thing with the White Sox fan base.

It's Dankerific
08-08-2008, 05:37 PM
I knew after last night's game, people would be jumping all over Griffey. Such typical fans of us. We get a new player, they're subpar for the first six games, and the deal is deemed the worst ever. Apparently, patience is not a thing with the White Sox fan base.

Yeah, what's 6 games in august when you're in a pennant race. Just like spring training!

JB98
08-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Because it fits his argument that BA sucks and any sorryass OF should be playing ahead of him.

And, as a FOBA, I'm not for starting Anderson over any of our OF's on a regular basis, other than Wise.

I can answer for myself, thank you. You're the one talking about BA, not me.

JB98
08-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Why?

I don't think outfield defense is an issue in our ballpark. If we were playing 81 games in Detroit or Kansas City, it would be more of a concern. When we go on the road to play in those parks, it is more of a concern because those are big parks.

We have a small ballpark. I'd rather have outfielders who can generate offense, because poor outfield defense is not going to hurt us that often. We win at home because of our power-driven offense. The team is built to win at U.S. Cellular Field.

Infield defense is about 50 times more important than outfield defense, IMO, which is why I'm among those glad that Uribe is playing ahead of Fields.

UofCSoxFan
08-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I think it's clear that KGJ can't play center field. You can maybe get away with him playing there once or twice a week. However, what he does do is give Ozzie a chance to rest Swisher, Konerko, Dye, and Thome without losing much power. It seems like Ozzie will rotate the guy that sits of the 5, and if Konerko starts hitting, it will probably be Griffey 2 or 3 times a week. We gave up very little for Griffey and even if he just makes the other people in the lineup better/fresher, then he is more than worth it.

I see them scaling back his CF time already. Griffey so far is exactly what I expected, which is fine. I'm not sure why people expected that much more.

LoveYourSuit
08-08-2008, 06:26 PM

I don't even see it as a "deal" when we practically gave up nothing.

It was a free pick up IMO.

Jurr
08-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Jeez, 6 games and some of you have deemed Griffey to be a bust? Cut the guy some slack. He just got traded from the hometown team he had played with for 9 season. This is his first home series with us and he is just getting settled in. I'm sure he probably is trying to do too much to make an impression on the new fans and team. If he hits two HRs tonight are you going to declare the trade a success then? I love the conclusions people jump to based on small sample sizes. "I saw Griffey for 6 games and only 1 of the 6 did he help us win therefore, the trade is a bust." Gimme a break...
I doubt the poster saw Griffey play six games.

champagne030
08-08-2008, 07:06 PM
I can answer for myself, thank you. You're the one talking about BA, not me.

The OP was trying to make an argument for BA playing CF. You said you don't care about OF defense. Since BA is our only OF that plays defense, you did bring him up. And what I said basically was your response, I just cut through the bull****. You're an admitted hater of BA, that's cool. And I still think you're nuts for believing Mack or Erstad were better options.

Right now, with Griffey, Anderson should be a later inning defensive replacement and doesn't have room to start. We can agree on that because he's not going to start over Griffey or Swish on a regular basis, at this point.

One of those OF's has got to go when Contreras gets activated because we cannot continue with an 11 man staff that includes Russell AND Wassermann. Who do you think should go?

08-08-2008, 07:38 PM
One of those OF's has got to go when Contreras gets activated because we cannot continue with an 11 man staff that includes Russell AND Wassermann. Who do you think should go?

Yours is a good question but I read a quote this week saying the Sox would try to keep it at 11 pitchers until September 1.

It remains to be seen whether they'll hold to that. I would think a few more extra inning games might force a move. Or short outings by starters.

JB98
08-08-2008, 07:41 PM
The OP was trying to make an argument for BA playing CF. You said you don't care about OF defense. Since BA is our only OF that plays defense, you did bring him up. And what I said basically was your response, I just cut through the bull****. You're an admitted hater of BA, that's cool. And I still think you're nuts for believing Mack or Erstad were better options.

Right now, with Griffey, Anderson should be a later inning defensive replacement and doesn't have room to start. We can agree on that because he's not going to start over Griffey or Swish on a regular basis, at this point.

Wassermann should go. There are only three weeks until rosters expand. We have a couple off days coming up. We can go with 11 pitchers for the time being.

And, no, I did not bring up Brian Anderson at any point in this thread. Go back and read my posts.

Tragg
08-08-2008, 07:47 PM

Recently, Anderson's been far more productive offensively than Wise. Wise has one skill - running. Ozzie now uses Anderson as the pinch runner and Wise as the pinch hitter.

Anderson's had a hit in his last 3 games in which he's batted;
He's only started 1 game in the last month and he homered in that game
Prior start - Homer
Prior start - 2 run double
2 Prior starts - 1/3 each game.

He's been hitting okay. He should be the defensive replacement. And he certainly should play before Wise.

It's Dankerific
08-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Recently, Anderson's been far more productive offensively than Wise. Wise has one skill - running. Ozzie now uses Anderson as the pinch runner and Wise as the pinch hitter.

Anderson's had a hit in his last 3 games in which he's batted;
He's only started 1 game in the last month and he homered in that game
Prior start - Homer
Prior start - 2 run double
2 Prior starts - 1/3 each game.

He's been hitting okay. He should be the defensive replacement. And he certainly should play before Wise.

"Who is going to play CF? Brian? Hello..." - our fearless leader before the Griffey trade.

Using BA as a pinch runner exclusively (like the 14 inning game with Joey managing) is just stupid. You had a LH playing CF. if you need to replace him, makes sense to keep the RH available and run with Wise. But.... lets not use Wise's best asset.

I hope this season works out because otherwise its going to give me nightmares for years.

JB98
08-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I hope this season works out because otherwise its going to give me nightmares for years.

Why? This entire season has been a pleasant surprise for me. Quentin and Ramirez have come out of nowhere to establish themselves as core pieces for the future. Danks has taken a big leap forward. For that matter, so has Floyd.

Last year is going to give me nightmares for years. This has been a good season, no matter how it ends up.

It's Dankerific
08-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Why? This entire season has been a pleasant surprise for me. Quentin and Ramirez have come out of nowhere to establish themselves as core pieces for the future. Danks has taken a big leap forward. For that matter, so has Floyd.

Last year is going to give me nightmares for years. This has been a good season, no matter how it ends up.

I'll enjoy the brightspots, no matter. But I can deal with the team just sucking alot easier (I've had experience with that plenty) than being on the cusp of a REALLY SPECIAL team being hampered by, what is in my opinion and yours may differ, poor decisions by management.

JB98
08-08-2008, 08:16 PM
I'll enjoy the brightspots, no matter. But I can deal with the team just sucking alot easier (I've had experience with that plenty) than being on the cusp of a REALLY SPECIAL team being hampered by, what is in my opinion and yours may differ, poor decisions by management.

I don't agree with every decision they've made. It's hard to go from 72-90 to the playoffs in one year. If they pull it off, kudos to everyone, including management.

It's Dankerific
08-08-2008, 08:18 PM
I don't agree with every decision they've made. It's hard to go from 72-90 to the playoffs in one year. If they pull it off, kudos to everyone, including management.

I completely agree, if they make it, kudos to management. If they do well in the playoffs, super kudos to management. But if they don't make it, it will give me previously mentioned nightmares =(

TomBradley72
08-08-2008, 08:33 PM

Management only deserves kudos when we at least go to the post season. Especially since it's this management team that created the 72-90 mess to begin with. If we miss the play offs this year...that will make KW 1/8 and Ozzie 1/5.

Vienna
08-08-2008, 09:55 PM

I agree. It's not that being in first in August isn't nice. If you asked me in March or April, I'd be happy with that. But, the nightmares thing for me is that the post season chances are precious commodity. When you see things that seem to ruin it, it can be haunting. Well, at least for me. I still wake up at times in a cold sweat with flashbacks of The Dybber over-running second. No!!!

turners56
08-08-2008, 10:51 PM
He just missed a homer today. He's had one hit since playing at the Cell. Maybe he's not liking this pressure thing.

A. Cavatica
08-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Purely as a CF....Mackowiak, Erstad, Swisher, Griffey are all part of the same three year strategy of putting a little extra offense ahead of solid defense in CF.

No, Erstad was all defense. He hadn't hit since 2000, and anyone who expected him to be an "all-around outfielder" wasn't paying attention.

TomBradley72
08-08-2008, 11:02 PM
2008 Griffey Jr. is looking like 1986 George Foster.

slavko
08-09-2008, 12:59 AM

The opposite is usually cited as a reason for a new batter doing well at first. We can't have it both ways. Logic says that the advantage is with the new batter. What do you throw him and where do you throw it? My clear blue eyes tell me that he looks bad at the plate right now. Yours?

Lukin13
08-09-2008, 10:34 AM
I think it's clear that KGJ can't play center field. You can maybe get away with him playing there once or twice a week.

I never really understood that rational of thinking "You can get away with him out there once or twice a week"... and I hear it all the time, it isn't just you UofC.

Are those two games not as important as the other four?

If the guy can't play CF why is acceptable to trot him out there "only once or twice a week".

Our pitching will be the one who gets blamed if Griffey plays 3 out of 4 games in CF the rest of the way... the same way they took the blame in '07.

TomBradley72
08-09-2008, 11:14 AM
The opposite is usually cited as a reason for a new batter doing well at first. We can't have it both ways. Logic says that the advantage is with the new batter. What do you throw him and where do you throw it? My clear blue eyes tell me that he looks bad at the plate right now. Yours?

But he's not a "new batter"....there are plenty of scouting reports, etc. available...the pitcher's aren't approaching him like he's a brand new AAA call up. For Griffey he has to react to pitcher's motions, their pitch movements, etc. for the first time. When a veteran hitter switches leagues....I'll give the advantage to the pitchers.

JB98
08-09-2008, 02:14 PM
I never really understood that rational of thinking "You can get away with him out there once or twice a week"... and I hear it all the time, it isn't just you UofC.

Are those two games not as important as the other four?

If the guy can't play CF why is acceptable to trot him out there "only once or twice a week".

Our pitching will be the one who gets blamed if Griffey plays 3 out of 4 games in CF the rest of the way... the same way they took the blame in '07.

You seriously don't think the pitchers deserved the blame for 2007? We had the worst bullpen in baseball.