PDA

View Full Version : Trade Ideas- What Pitchers would you Want?

Bolnicar
05-11-2002, 03:01 PM
How about some of these names:

Detroit Tigers-

Jeff Weaver- Weaver is relatively young and all of the Tigers are said to be expendable. He keeps a relatively low ERA

Steve Sparks- Successful knuckleballer who mixes up speeds and pitches and keeps a relatively low ERA

Kansas City Royals-

Jeff Suppan, Paul Byrd- Both are pitching well and the Royals are deadly out of it. They will want prospects to build.

Chicago Cubs-

Jason Bere- change or scenery could help. The cubs don't need him and as long as he keeps a 4,5 era he should be fine here (strange saying that a 5 era is ok)

Baltimore Orioles-

Scott Erickson- Old and coming off surgery but hes pitching great and is a quality veteran

Los Angeles Dodgers-

Omar Daal- Daal has pitched well enough to start and would but L.A has plenty of depth. They could use hitters which we could easily supply

Colorado Rockies-

Mike Hampton- Huge contract but getting out of Colorado will help him a lot. This would be a massive deal likely with some of our huge salaries included

Seattle Mariners

Paul Abbot and Jamie Moyer- Both are solid veterans and Seattle is one of the only teams with pitching depth. Problem is they are so sound everywhere else I wonder what they would need. In the past we could deal Lee but he hasn't been producing. I think Moyer will be a FA so he might be expendable

Expos and Marlins- they are both playing well but they could be contracted and I allways think about the deal when the cubs got clement and alfonseca for tavarez. What about Brad Penny? How about Tony Armas from the expos

Crappy teams: Blue Jays and Devil Rays

Roy Haladay of the Jays and Paul Wilson of the Rays are both very good pitchers on awful teams. They are both in terrible situations and might be ripe to make a trade

I think we have to realize that this offense is so powerful that a decent pitchers should have good success here. Its up to the management to pick up some veteran starters to coverup their mistakes this offseason....(not taking any chances on guys like Rick Helling or making deal for someone like El Duque when he was available)

Later

OfficerKarkovice
05-11-2002, 03:16 PM
I think that if any of the Marlins or the Expos pitchers are available we definately need to go after them. They would command a lot in a trade but it would be worth it. These are the guys I am talking about...in order of who I would want most.

Javier Vazquez
Josh Beckett
AJ Burnett
Ryan Dempster
Brad Penny
Tony Armas Jr.

palehosemike
05-11-2002, 03:30 PM
Weaver would be nice, but remember we drafted him first but could not come to terms with his agent Boras.... history would repeat itself

HawkDJ
05-11-2002, 03:38 PM
It would be nice to pull of Paul Byrd for cheap. He is doing a great job and has gotten almost no publcity for it.

voodoochile
05-11-2002, 03:42 PM
I can't picture Seattle trading to another pennant contender. It could end up costing them.

I would prefer a serious veteran to a young kid who is still reaching his potential. Playoff experience would be even better.

I don't want Bere and Erickson would be questionable, IMO. I want the Sox to steal thunder if they are going to make a trade. Go for a Leiber, Weaver, Glavine or Maddux. Otherwise they are probably better off letting the kids develop. Or, if they are going to play for next year by trading for a young pitcher with slightly better control, they should bring up Crede and Borchard the minute they can and include Royce in whatever trade they make...

Foulke You
05-11-2002, 03:47 PM
ROYALS-
I really like the way Paul Byrd is throwing the ball for the Royals this year. I think the Royals would have only a few wins if it wasn't for him. He really impressed me when he faced us and he just shut down the Twins in the Twinkee dome recently. I wouldn't mind having him behind Buehrle and Ritchie in the rotation.

TIGERS-
Jeff Weaver and Sparks are intriguing. I like Weaver's guts on the mound. He has the mental toughness that I wish Garland and Wright had. I'd feel comfortable starting a playoff game with Weaver on the hill. He could easily be an 18 game winner with run support.

I think Sparks could be valuable in the rotation as well. He's a veteran and has thrown the ball well this year. I think both of these pitchers could be had in 1 deal from the Tigers. I just wonder what we would have to give up to get them?

MARINERS-
I don't think the Ms will deal any pitching this year. If they do, it will be to an NL team. There is no way they will trade a Jamie Moyer to a contending team in the AL.

CUBS-
I wouldn't want Bere back. Last year was an aberration. He hasn't been effective since he blew his elbow out. He would get crushed in the AL if he came back. He's getting touched up now for the Cubs so I don't see him helping us.

OVERALL-
The stakes will be high as there are going to be several high profile teams looking to add pitching the closer the deadline gets. You know the Yankees are going to make a move. The D'Backs are pretty thin in starting pitching after Schilling and Johnson so they'll be looking too. Boston, Seattle, and the Mets will be hunting as well. Does KW have the cahoneys and smarts to pull off a deal that won't mortgage the future and still be Reinsdorfally frugal?

Garrison
05-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Weaver and/or Sparks would be nice and easily obtained. I think the down and out Royals would deal Suppan and/or Byrd for prospects. Any of the three Dempster, Beckett, Burnett from FLA would be good as well. There are plenty of options for pitching, the sox just need to make it happen.

KempersRS
05-11-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
I think that if any of the Marlins or the Expos pitchers are available we definately need to go after them. They would command a lot in a trade but it would be worth it. These are the guys I am talking about...in order of who I would want most.

Javier Vazquez
Josh Beckett
AJ Burnett
Ryan Dempster
Brad Penny
Tony Armas Jr.

I can tell you right now that none of those pitchers are on the block, nor will they be any time soon.

doublem23
05-11-2002, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I don't know why you think the Expos and Marlins, who so far are in contention, would be just willing to give up young, cheap pitching.

kermittheefrog
05-11-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS

I can tell you right now that none of those pitchers are on the block, nor will they be any time soon.

Actually soon Penny and Dempster will be making larger salary demands and rumor is at least one of them will be dealt away. There were a few Penny rumors at the end of spring but he hasn't pitched well so far this season. I'd love for the Sox to pick up either one of these guys. Or Weaver. They all have top of the rotation talent.

KempersRS
05-11-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Actually soon Penny and Dempster will be making larger salary demands and rumor is at least one of them will be dealt away. There were a few Penny rumors at the end of spring but he hasn't pitched well so far this season. I'd love for the Sox to pick up either one of these guys. Or Weaver. They all have top of the rotation talent.

The Marlins will hang on to the young guns, they are building their entire team around the fact that they have 5 very good potential starters. And if salaries get high, they will test the market...and will not be headed to the South side.