PDA

View Full Version : A little progress in the MLB blackouts

It's Dankerific
08-07-2008, 07:07 PM
So they're close to getting to a plan that would open some blackouts on those areas not served by a local broadcast. (most notably, Las Vegas). However, the saturday blackouts are not going anywhere, THANKS FOX!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AnmcLS5tsMVxnNTv8Rd8knkRvLYF?slug=jp-blackouts080708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

EuroSox35
08-07-2008, 08:13 PM
I've never understood the point of blackouts. Especially if you feed the commercials through, and still let them reach the audience. Is it as simple as MLB wanting to run their own lame commercials through the webcast?

The only other thing I can think of is that it'd skew ratings, which affects the ad prices, but this is all digital, you'd think it'd be easier and more accurate to get ratings from something like MLB.tv (especially compared to what they have done in the past with TV and radio ratings)

It's Dankerific
08-07-2008, 08:16 PM
I've never understood the point of blackouts. Especially if you feed the commercials through, and still let them reach the audience. Is it as simple as MLB wanting to run their own lame commercials through the webcast?

The only other thing I can think of is that it'd skew ratings, which affects the ad prices, but this is all digital, you'd think it'd be easier and more accurate to get ratings from something like MLB.tv (especially compared to what they have done in the past with TV and radio ratings)

Its all antiquated relics of the 1960s. They haven't bothered to update with the times.

Scottiehaswheels
08-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Nice... So maybe next year I can potentially pay for the games on MLB.TV and do away with DirecTV for our local cable company and save like $50 a month... Sweet!

It's Dankerific
08-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Nice... So maybe next year I can potentially pay for the games on MLB.TV and do away with DirecTV for our local cable company and save like $50 a month... Sweet!

I thought the blackout rules were the same whether you were on ExtraInnings or Mlb.tv

Scottiehaswheels
08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I thought the blackout rules were the same whether you were on ExtraInnings or Mlb.tvYeah, but I have a 22" monitor and my wife will be happy to free up the TV lol. So if this goes into effect, I get the computer and MLB.TV I'm sure. Plus MLB.TV is nice if I travel. Right now we have both Extra Innings and the Chicago Sports package to just get the Sox games. My Directv bill is like $115 8 months a year. Whereas if I just switch to our local cable company it's $99 for internet, cable, and phone; so I'd be saving quite a bit to switch... Just can't right now until the stupid blackout rules are abolished.

downstairs
08-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Awesome! I assume this applies to MLB.TV and Extra Innings?

I'm in New Orleans, and should not be considered in any team's area.

Yeah, everyone drives 5 hours to watch the Astros down here.

downstairs
08-08-2008, 05:17 PM

They're the same rules. If this new thing passes, you'll get more games on either method.

Scottiehaswheels
08-08-2008, 07:06 PM
They're the same rules. If this new thing passes, you'll get more games on either method.Yeah, I was just saying potentially as we are in the Indianapolis market and that may not qualify to get this blackout rule lifted as we technically can get Sox games with purchasing both the Extra Innings/Chicago SportNet package. I have to purchase both to get Sox games right now however and DirecTV is the only cable operator around (that I know of) to offer Chicago SportsNet. If I can get MLB.TV for only $200 for the year and replace DirecTV with my local internet/cable company I'd be saving the $50 a month.

champagne030
08-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I was just saying potentially as we are in the Indianapolis market and that may not qualify to get this blackout rule lifted as we technically can get Sox games with purchasing both the Extra Innings/Chicago SportNet package. I have to purchase both to get Sox games right now however and DirecTV is the only cable operator around (that I know of) to offer Chicago SportsNet. If I can get MLB.TV for only $200 for the year and replace DirecTV with my local internet/cable company I'd be saving the $50 a month.

What is Chicago SportsNet? I remember Fox SportsNet. Obviously, I'm not from Indiana or out of Comcast Sports Channel's (whatever it's called) viewing area. Just curious........

anewman35
08-08-2008, 07:39 PM
What is Chicago SportsNet? I remember Fox SportsNet. Obviously, I'm not from Indiana or out of Comcast Sports Channel's (whatever it's called) viewing area. Just curious........

He meant Comcast Sports Net Chicago.