PDA

View Full Version : 5 teams fighting for 3 playoff slots

Fenway
08-07-2008, 05:23 PM
2 of these teams will not make the post season

BOSTON TAMPA BAY YANKEES TWINS WHITE SOX

Obviously most fans at WSI would like to see Boston and NYY miss the post-season. Be careful what you wish for.

Tampa has to start winning on the road as they only have 19 games left at The Trop. as do the Yankees. Boston has 25 left at Fenway.
Advantage NYY as they are the only team at 500 in the east.

Twins are 2 1/2 behind Boston in WC.

Unlike last year these 4 Sawx-Sox games at The Cell are huge as will the WS trip to NYY and Boston.

This may go down to the final week for all 5 teams.

officerron
08-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Yankees and Twins: they gone.

nysox35
08-07-2008, 06:30 PM

I tend to agree. :(: (to yankees)

They screwed me out of seeing the WSox play out here in the ALCS in '05, but I can't complain too much the way that year turned out.
It will suck though being the last year at the stadium and all.

JermaineDye05
08-07-2008, 06:42 PM

I'm not ready to write off the Twins just yet. They just keep coming as usual, I can't believe it really.

thomas35forever
08-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm not ready to write off the Twins just yet. They just keep coming as usual, I can't believe it really.
I won't write off the Twins until they are eliminated or the Sox clinch a playoff spot, whichever occurs first. They're like roaches. Once you think you've stomped them dead, they just come back and are alive again. No one on the Sox or on this board better count the Twins out because as they say, those who don't learn their history are doomed to repeat it.

palehozenychicty
08-08-2008, 08:42 AM
I want to say the Yankees or Twins are done, but I can't. If the Yanks make the playoffs, though, with that starting rotation, then wow.....:o:

Cangelosi CF
08-08-2008, 08:49 AM
I won't write off the Twins until they are eliminated or the Sox clinch a playoff spot, whichever occurs first. They're like roaches. Once you think you've stomped them dead, they just come back and are alive again. No one on the Sox or on this board better count the Twins out because as they say, those who don't learn their history are doomed to repeat it.

I am hoping that a) KC takes 2/3 this weekend from the Twinkies;
b) Minnesota dies on that 14 game road trip later this month/early September. Thank you Republicans! :gulp:

SoxGirl4Life
08-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Never count the Twins out. Nor the Yankees for that matter.

I'm hoping the same KC team shows up to play the twins this weekend that showed up to play us last weekend.

balke
08-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Peter Gammons said this morning that one sliver of hope may rest in Carl Pavano. This is how I know the Yankees won't make the playoffs.

palehozenychicty
08-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Peter Gammons said this morning that one sliver of hope may rest in Carl Pavano. This is how I know the Yankees won't make the playoffs.

He mentioned Pavano?!

:rolling:

That guy makes Prior look like Ripken.

PaleHoser
08-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Pavano's never been the same since Alyssa Milano dumped him. And who can blame him?

Fenway
08-09-2008, 01:14 PM
I give the White Sox a slight edge in the Central because of the Twins long road trip during the GOP convention next month.

Boston has to improve their road record. Same goes for Tampa.

The Yankees? They are looking at a weird situation as they may very well play their last scheduled game at The Stadium not knowing their playoff fate.

We may see all 5 teams still alive in the last week.

TDog
08-09-2008, 01:15 PM
A lot of baseball people have been saying since spring training that they don't expect the Yankees to make the postseason. The Yankees are inconsistent and lack strong pitching (Mussina's success this season has been a surprise that has balanced disapointments). But I am expecting the Rays to fall to third in the East.

The Angels all but get a bye in the West. In the spring, people expected much better things from the Mariners. The A's came out playing much better than people expected, with good young players coming up to replace injured veterans. Street appears to have been shut down looking at tapes to figure out why he's pitching so poorly after no one was willing to trade for him at the deadline. But Ziegler is enjoying a record-setting rookie season out of the bullpen. With the dismal play of the Mariners and A's management showing no interet in winning this year, there is just a team little better than .500 representing the West in the wild card race.

The Tigers have been hitting very well, as well as everyone expected in the spring, but they remain a .500-at-best team becasue of their pitching. Twins don't have strong pitching. They have a great closer and a good bullpen that may or may not hold up. The Central is the Sox' division to lose, with the Twins reducing their margin for error.

There are no easy wins for contenders in the American League this year. The White Sox and Twins both could make the postseason. The Yankees and Red Sox both could make the postseaon. At the same time, any of those four teams could miss it. I wouldn't expect both the Yankees and the Red Sox to miss it, but that's possible too.

The thing is, there aren't any great teams this year. Every contender is capable of playing a great game, but equally capable of playing a bad game against a team with a losing record. Go back and read April stories about the Indians being the class of the Central. In September, a lot of things people are writing now about the contenders will seem just as incorrect.

LoveYourSuit
08-09-2008, 05:29 PM
It's to the point that I am now cheering for the Angels to beat NY, although I would prefer us to try to beat them out for best record at the end. This year unlike no other, homefield appears to be a big deal. Angels are running away with it. But I guess the important part is to get it, so I am rooting against NY.

cards press box
08-09-2008, 11:36 PM
I give the White Sox a slight edge in the Central because of the Twins long road trip during the GOP convention next month.

Boston has to improve their road record. Same goes for Tampa.

The Yankees? They are looking at a weird situation as they may very well play their last scheduled game at The Stadium not knowing their playoff fate.

We may see all 5 teams still alive in the last week.

I have my doubts about the Yankees. Andy Pettitte has been bad lately and it is unclear when Joba Chamberlain is going to come back. Mike Mussina can't single-handedly pitch the Yankees to the playoffs. I do think that it is 4 teams (Tampa Bay, Boston, White Sox and Minnesota) competing for 3 playoff spots.

Here is my question: do the Yankees become sellers and deal Mike Mussina? How far out do the Yankees need to fall before this becomes a reality?

Adele_H
08-10-2008, 02:48 AM
2 of these teams will not make the post season

BOSTON TAMPA BAY YANKEES TWINS WHITE SOX

Obviously most fans at WSI would like to see Boston and NYY miss the post-season. Be careful what you wish for.

Tampa has to start winning on the road as they only have 19 games left at The Trop. as do the Yankees. Boston has 25 left at Fenway.
Advantage NYY as they are the only team at 500 in the east.

Twins are 2 1/2 behind Boston in WC.

Unlike last year these 4 Sawx-Sox games at The Cell are huge as will the WS trip to NYY and Boston.

This may go down to the final week for all 5 teams.

The Wild Card, IMO, has been one of the best things to happen to baseball in a long time.

And lot of Divisional Series have been as or more entertaing/pressure-filled than some one-sided World Series contests.

Nellie_Fox
08-10-2008, 03:01 AM
The Wild Card, IMO, has been one of the best things to happen to baseball in a long time.The wild card sucks. It's a 162 game season. Win or go home.

captainclutch24
08-10-2008, 03:26 AM
The wild card sucks. It's a 162 game season. Win or go home.

unless baseball moves to 4 divisions per league the wild card is awesome!

TommyJohn
08-10-2008, 08:31 AM

But just think-without the wildcard, the world would never have been given the wonderful gifts that were those epic Yankee-Red Sox battles in 2003-04. In 2003, Red Sox fans got to throw themselves one long pity party and the East Coast Literati had yet another failure with which to get all weepy and poetic; in 2004 the longest, most agonizing stretch in the whole history of human suffering came to a glorious end. The Diamondbacks, Angels, Marlins and Cardinals World Series triumphs just cannot compare!! Hell, nothing can compare! It was one of the greatest triumphs of the human spirit over adversity that I can remember!! All because of the wildcard. And you dare.....DARE...to say that it....SUCKS?

There are ways of dealing with such blasphemous heresy.

Nellie_Fox
08-11-2008, 12:22 AM
unless baseball moves to 4 divisions per league the wild card is awesome!The wild card inspires fear mixed with respect?

asindc
08-11-2008, 08:19 AM

Tell that to the 103-win SF Giants, who had to watch 2 other teams that did not "win" like they did go to the playoffs. Until we have 4 divisions in each league, keep the wildcard. I could go with 2 divisions in each league with the teams we have now, but no way do I endorse a second place team with a better record than a division winner staying home.

Sad
08-11-2008, 09:10 AM
The Wild Card, IMO, has been one of the best things to happen to baseball in a long time.

couldn't agree more

turners56
08-11-2008, 10:04 AM
I have my doubts about the Yankees. Andy Pettitte has been bad lately and it is unclear when Joba Chamberlain is going to come back. Mike Mussina can't single-handedly pitch the Yankees to the playoffs. I do think that it is 4 teams (Tampa Bay, Boston, White Sox and Minnesota) competing for 3 playoff spots.

Here is my question: do the Yankees become sellers and deal Mike Mussina? How far out do the Yankees need to fall before this becomes a reality?

Mussina won't ever clear waivers.

spiffie
08-11-2008, 11:54 AM
And that's why baseball should move to eliminate leagues and divisions, play a perfectly balanced schedule, and the top two records play a best-of-7 World Series. That eliminates any undeserving team making the playoffs ever again. It is crazy that right now some ****ty NL team will get to go to the World Series over an AL team that wins more games over a 162 game season.

chaerulez
08-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Mussina won't ever clear waivers.

Not to mention Steinbrenner will never do that. The fanbase would go nuts. But sometimes it's smart to call defeat and try and rearm yourself for the future. Look at the white flag trade. But yeah the Mets or Dodgers would surely claim Mussina off waivers if such a thing were to happen.

And that's why baseball should move to eliminate leagues and divisions, play a perfectly balanced schedule, and the top two records play a best-of-7 World Series. That eliminates any undeserving team making the playoffs ever again. It is crazy that right now some ****ty NL team will get to go to the World Series over an AL team that wins more games over a 162 game season.

Not a bad idea but it'll never happen.

Fenway
08-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Of the 5 teams the Yankees are by far in the worst position. What had kept them in hailing distance was playing over .500 on the road but they just finished 3-7 on this trip. They are now 6 games out of second place and only have 19 home games left.

I can't write them off yet but it looks like we down to 4 teams for 3 slots. Injuries may cripple Tampa for the division crown and also they have only 19 home games left to Boston's 24.

Nobody wants the wild card as that means playing Anaheim. Of course history shows that a team that wins a division by double digits can be vulnerable come October.

Chicago's fate may well come down to the 3 games in Minneapolis. I think the odd team out will miss only by a game or two. It will be that close.