PDA

View Full Version : DJ Has Saved Our Sox

Carolina Kenny
08-07-2008, 05:25 PM
How many teams would love to have DJ Carraso right now?

eriqjaffe
08-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Probably fewer than would want DJ Carrasco. ;)

soxinem1
08-07-2008, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't start giving him awards for the minimal amount he has pitched, but he was definitely more effective than Masset and Logan the past few weeks.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-07-2008, 05:29 PM
How many teams would rather have K-Rod?

kittle42
08-07-2008, 05:31 PM
He hasn't saved anything. He's a middle of the road pitcher who has had a good short run for us.

Why are sports fans so quick to overreact? See Fukodome, Kosuke; Juan Uribe 3B Thread.

Foulke You
08-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Ok, show of hands, how many people thought this thread was about Darrin Jackson? :cool:

Seriously though. Carrasco has been solid moving into the 7th inning spot with Dotel moving into the 8th inning spot due to the Linebrink injury. He had a hiccup or two on the last road trip but has settled down nicely. He hasn't been dominant but very solid.

Carolina Kenny
08-07-2008, 05:33 PM
He hasn't saved anything. He's a middle of the raod pitcher who has had a good short run for us.

Why are sports fans so quick to overreact? See Fukodome, Kosuke; Juan Uribe 3B Thread.

He already has paid for himself, even if he never throws another pitch for us again.

That is called A Positive.

Enough Positives and you win the Division.

October26
08-07-2008, 05:37 PM
He already has paid for himself, even if he never throws another pitch for us again.

That is called A Positive.

Enough Positives and you win the Division.

Thanks for your positive posts. I appreciate them.

Go Sox!

PatK
08-07-2008, 05:40 PM
I remember people here whining "what the hell are the Sox thinking?" when they got him.

He's done well. I don't see why people aren't willing to give him credit.

Carolina Kenny
08-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks for your positive posts. I appreciate them.

Go Sox!

You are welcome. Too many posters here think that negativity makes their post messages more powerful and meaningful. Either that or anger issues have taken control of their lives.

Do I think DJC is the next coming of Dustin Hermanson?
Of course not. But hasn't he been one timely surprise so far?

Why not enjoy the DJC experience while it lasts and wonder how long it could last?

35th and Shields
08-07-2008, 06:33 PM
I remember people here whining "what the hell are the Sox thinking?" when they got him.

He's done well. I don't see why people aren't willing to give him credit.

Yeah i don't get this negativity about how he's only pitched well in short period. Who cares. With all our problems with injuries and poor pitching from the bullpen, this guy helped to keep us in first place. Obviously I'd rather have K-Rod but what did we give up for Carrasco.....oh wait, basically nothing.

35th and Shields
08-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I guess we should blame kenny one this one too.

soxfanreggie
08-07-2008, 06:42 PM
I agree that I thought this was about DJ being out after his minor knee (?) surgery.

TDog
08-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Baseball is a team sport consisting of individual performances. If the Sox experience success this season, the heroes will be many. Even if they fall short of success, the heroes will be many. Carlos Quentin and Jermaine Dye are probably the two most valuable players. Three players beside Quentin have ended games at the Cell with home runs. Three more have ended games with singles.

D.J. Carrasco was nice pickup, and one that unfortunately was needed because the bullpen has gone through some tough times. Adam Russell, incredibly, is 4-0, a vulture of a reliever who has benefited from being pretty much the last Sox option in the pen when he was called upon and did his job in games they won in their last at bat.

Relievers can be valuable. Jim Konstanty was named the National League MVP for his work as the Phillies' best reliever. Had thee been an official saves state (it would be almost two decades before one was in place), Konstanty would have recorded 22, which doesn't seem all that impressive by today's standards. But the baseball writers believed his contributions (without a save rule, he "saved" games in game-on-the-line situations with men on base where he didn't finish the game -- none of his starting the ninth to get the save stuff that closers are conditioned to do today) worthy of being the most valuable player on the first-place Phillies. He was considered so valuable to the Phillies that the only game he started all year was the first game of the World Series, which he lost 1-0. He ended up pitching 15 of the 35.2 innings pitched by the Phillies in their four losses to the Yankees.

Carrasco was a nice pickup, but he isn't Jim Konstanty valuable. He isn't even Bobby Jenks valuable.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I've been a lot more relaxed seeming him come out of the pen than Logan.

nysox35
08-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Ok, show of hands, how many people thought this thread was about Darrin Jackson? :cool:

Seriously though. Carrasco has been solid moving into the 7th inning spot with Dotel moving into the 8th inning spot due to the Linebrink injury. He had a hiccup or two on the last road trip but has settled down nicely. He hasn't been dominant but very solid.

I def thought it was about DJ the commentator. I was a bit disappointed it was about the pitcher, b/c I was curious to know how Darrin Jackson had saved this franchise...:D:

Carolina Kenny
08-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Baseball is a team sport consisting of individual performances. If the Sox experience success this season, the heroes will be many. Even if they fall short of success, the heroes will be many. Carlos Quentin and Jermaine Dye are probably the two most valuable players. Three players beside Quentin have ended games at the Cell with home runs. Three more have ended games with singles.

D.J. Carrasco was nice pickup, and one that unfortunately was needed because the bullpen has gone through some tough times. Adam Russell, incredibly, is 4-0, a vulture of a reliever who has benefited from being pretty much the last Sox option in the pen when he was called upon and did his job in games they won in their last at bat.

Relievers can be valuable. Jim Konstanty was named the National League MVP for his work as the Phillies' best reliever. Had thee been an official saves state (it would be almost two decades before one was in place), Konstanty would have recorded 22, which doesn't seem all that impressive by today's standards. But the baseball writers believed his contributions (without a save rule, he "saved" games in game-on-the-line situations with men on base where he didn't finish the game -- none of his starting the ninth to get the save stuff that closers are conditioned to do today) worthy of being the most valuable player on the first-place Phillies. He was considered so valuable to the Phillies that the only game he started all year was the first game of the World Series, which he lost 1-0. He ended up pitching 15 of the 35.2 innings pitched by the Phillies in their four losses to the Yankees.

Carrasco was a nice pickup, but he isn't Jim Konstanty valuable. He isn't even Bobby Jenks valuable.

That was one great season he had that year. DJC is yet another ex-Royal reliefer. I swear Kenny is going to keep acquiring them until he finds a good one. After all the others if would be unbelievable if it was DJC.

tony1972
08-07-2008, 07:40 PM
I def thought it was about DJ the commentator. I was a bit disappointed it was about the pitcher, b/c I was curious to know how Darrin Jackson had saved this franchise...:D:

When DJ became commentator in 1999 the Sox were only drawing 1.3 million...by 2006 the Sox were drawing 2.9 million and this year (not coincidentally DJs 10th year) the Sox will draw 2.6 million..

Coincidence ? I think not..

chaerulez
08-07-2008, 07:45 PM
He hasn't saved anything. He's a middle of the road pitcher who has had a good short run for us.

No doubt he has done good this year, but yeah he's not our season savior. And Juan Uribe being a full time third basemen, while a great defensive idea I don't know if having a 3B with a guy that bad at the plate is a good idea. If anyone has saved our season is Quentin, without his MVP like season we probably aren't in playoff contention.

#1swisher
08-07-2008, 07:58 PM
[quote=Carolina Kenny;1995674]Too many posters here think that negativity makes their post messages more powerful and meaningful. Either that or anger issues have taken control of their lives.

I was wondering this same thing regarding the majority of negative posts.

As far as DJC...I like him.:D:

SOXfnNlansing
08-07-2008, 08:13 PM

Hand raised here:scratch:

Jim Shorts
08-07-2008, 08:25 PM
That was one great season he had that year. DJC is yet another ex-Royal reliefer. I swear Kenny is going to keep acquiring them until he finds a good one. After all the others if would be unbelievable if it was DJC.

Soria would be a good get...:cool:

fusillirob1983
08-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I thought I clicked on the wrong thread when I saw the first post was about DJ Carrasco.