PDA

View Full Version : Chad Bradford traded to the Rays

Sockinchisox
08-07-2008, 03:10 PM
http://masnsports.com/2008/08/trade-made.html

Chez
08-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Why didn't the Sox put a claim in on Chad? He's a decent set-up guy.

thedudeabides
08-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Agreed. I'll take him over Wasserman or Russell right now. They must have pretty good faith in Linebrink coming back strong.

The Immigrant
08-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Why didn't the Sox put a claim in on Chad? He's a decent set-up guy.

He's owed a bunch of money for next year and we expect to have Linebrink back shortly. Bradford is too expensive (and not suitable) for mop-up duty.

chaerulez
08-07-2008, 04:18 PM
He's a decent bullpen guy, I think the Sox could've used him. Helps the Rays I guess, but I think they really dropped the ball on not getting Bay. They needed a right handed power bat at a corner OF position. And he went to the team they are trying to fight off. Plus it fits with their small market budget since Bay can't be a free agent until after the 2010 season. Yes the Rays have a wealth of terriffic prospects, but they have to realize not every one of them is going to pan out and they need to give something up to get something in return. And the Red Sox didn't even really give up too much. They basically gave up two mid level prospects. Moss looks to be an average player and while Hansen is a former first round pick, he hasn't put it together yet. I hope the Rays at least offered someone like Jeff Niemann who has better promise than either Moss or Hansen, a potential #3 or even a #2 starter in the league. And losing Neimann would be nothing to the Rays as they have McGee and Davis ahead of him.

It's Dankerific
08-07-2008, 04:40 PM
He's a decent bullpen guy, I think the Sox could've used him. Helps the Rays I guess, but I think they really dropped the ball on not getting Bay. They needed a right handed power bat at a corner OF position. And he went to the team they are trying to fight off. Plus it fits with their small market budget since Bay can't be a free agent until after the 2010 season. Yes the Rays have a wealth of terriffic prospects, but they have to realize not every one of them is going to pan out and they need to give something up to get something in return. And the Red Sox didn't even really give up too much. They basically gave up two mid level prospects. Moss looks to be an average player and while Hansen is a former first round pick, he hasn't put it together yet. I hope the Rays at least offered someone like Jeff Niemann who has better promise than either Moss or Hansen, a potential #3 or even a #2 starter in the league. And losing Neimann would be nothing to the Rays as they have McGee and Davis ahead of him.

I think you forgot the whole Manny Ramirez part of the Boston trade...

champagne030
08-07-2008, 04:54 PM
He's owed a bunch of money for next year and we expect to have Linebrink back shortly. Bradford is too expensive (and not suitable) for mop-up duty.

$3.5M/year isn't that expensive anymore.

Russell is mop-up right now. I have no idea what we're getting back in Linebrink and when, but if it forces Bradford into a sixth inning role for two weeks that's fine. :shrug:

officerron
08-07-2008, 04:58 PM
$3.5M/year isn't that expensive anymore.

Russell is mop-up right now. I have no idea what we're getting back in Linebrink and when, but if it forces Bradford into a sixth inning role for two weeks that's fine. :shrug:

Agreed. I think it's unrealistic to expect DJ to keep performing so well for the last 2 months of the season. We've leaned on him quite a bit so far, and he's done wonderful. Bradford would have been a perfect addition as insurance if that happened.

Noneck
08-07-2008, 04:59 PM
A team never has too much relief help. Who can be 100% sure Linebrink will come back at 100% and when? The Sox have a 4 game set with Boston, it would have been a great time to shore up the bullpen. When a team is in 1st place by a game in early August, has been having bull pen problems and are drawing really well, this kind of money should not be a factor. Sad situation they let him pass.

RowanDye
08-07-2008, 05:41 PM
A team never has too much relief help. Who can be 100% sure Linebrink will come back at 100% and when? The Sox have a 4 game set with Boston, it would have been a great time to shore up the bullpen. When a team is in 1st place by a game in early August, has been having bull pen problems and are drawing really well, this kind of money should not be a factor. Sad situation they let him pass.

Doesn't mean much, but in the ESPN article (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3523794) they point out that Bradford pitched poorly against "the opponents that matter most" (i.e. Yankees/Red Sox).

The other thing I think we need to question is what we would have needed to give up to get him. Was he worth Poreda? Could we have gotten him for less? Hard to strip a bare cupboard I suppose...

officerron
08-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Doesn't mean much, but in the ESPN article (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3523794) they point out that Bradford pitched poorly against "the opponents that matter most" (i.e. Yankees/Red Sox).

The other thing I think we need to question is what we would have needed to give up to get him. Was he worth Poreda? Could we have gotten him for less? Hard to strip a bare cupboard I suppose...

C'mon. They were not going to realistically attempt at getting Poreda from us. I'm 200% sure we could have gotten him for less.

Noneck
08-07-2008, 06:22 PM

No way he would command that kinda player. You did notice in the article his playoff stats? Would be nice to have a guy with experience when the time comes. All I can say is it sure wouldn't have hurt to have a guy like that now.

chaerulez
08-07-2008, 06:53 PM
I think you forgot the whole Manny Ramirez part of the Boston trade...

Yeah I didn't take into account LaRoche going to the Pirates. Still, with the depth the Rays have in the farm system putting together a package that would have been just as good as what the Pirates got from LA and Boston... no doubt they should've done it.

champagne030
08-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Bradford is looking a lot better than Russell or Wassermann......

balke
08-08-2008, 10:08 AM
From now on the Sox should just sign every single player that gets DFA'd or offered on waivers guys. This is a great plan. DFA our own players, and pick up everyone else's DFA'd players. Sure, we'll be on the hook for way too much money for role players, but every player not on the Sox is better than a player on the Sox. DO THE MATH! Its not like the Sox are competing with other teams to pick up players like this or anything.

PatK
08-08-2008, 01:40 PM
I couldn't believe he was available for the Rays.

When I saw that, I was like "Why couldn't he have come here?"