PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassment

cdbunch
05-11-2002, 12:28 PM
Is there anyone else out there who is looking forward to football season? I just hope that Reinsdorf and Williams are not taking the approach of the Blackhawks by just wanting to get to the playoffs. It is apparent that the Sox need some more pitching if they are going to contend for the pennant. But it really seems to me that Kenny Wiliams will be told to just sit back and let the team work out of its troubles and if they can do that then they will make it to the playoffs. I don't want to just make the playoffs. I want to at least win a series! I really hope that the management does not allow the three-headed monster of Garland, Wright, and Glover to give all Sox fans heartattacks every 3-5 games. I would have no problem if they went out and traded their young pitchers (except Garland) for starting pitchers. I have no faith in them and frankly, no desire to watch them suck. I am completely embarrassed by the score of the losses the last 2 weeks, and if Kenny Williams had any baseball acumen then he would take these losses personally considering he gave these pitchers to Jerry Manuel to work with. What do you think?

voodoochile
05-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Honestly? I'm still trying to figure out if you are a troll, or just an upset Sox fan...

But, I do agree that a trade would be a good thing - only thing is, the Blackhawks were incredibly active in the trading market before the season ended, but it didn't work out too well. My buddy was convinced that the team had been built to succeed in the playoffs, but then they stunk up the joint and folded meekly.

Still, it is too early in the season to be pushing the panic button...

Nellie_Fox
05-11-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by cdbunch
Is there anyone else out there who is looking forward to football season?
I never look forward to the end of baseball season. Watching football games is just something I do when there's no baseball on. A little part of me dies every fall with the last out of the last White Sox game.

Kilroy
05-11-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by cdbunch
Is there anyone else out there who is looking forward to football season?

Step back in off the ledge, buddy. Tell the truth --> if they'd lost 2-0, you wouldn't feel so bad, right? Then why be all whiny about 19-0? The end result is still the same. The Sox lost ONE GAME yesterday. That's it. Maybe the Angels will pull a typical Sox move and have shot their wad in one game and be anemic offensively for the next 2. Oh wait. Garland is goin today. Let's just hope that the Sox find their bats...

Spiff
05-11-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Honestly? I'm still trying to figure out if you are a troll, or just an upset Sox fan...

I don't think he's a troll. These blowout losses are ridiculous, and embarrassing. They are getting lit up by offensively-average teams. It is not exactly encouraging to see them stink the place up, even if you believe blowouts are better than one-run losses. This team is so Jekyl and Hyde, one day they look like world-beaters, the next they don't even look like Devil Ray-beaters.

Kilroy
05-11-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
They are getting lit up by offensively-average teams.

That's probably truer than not, but having won 12 or their last 14 coming in, the Sox were facing one of the hottest teams in league. Not to mention a team that had the Sox number last year going 3-6 against them, and losing 5 of 6 in Anaheim...

Vsahajpal
05-11-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Step back in off the ledge, buddy. Tell the truth --> if they'd lost 2-0, you wouldn't feel so bad, right? Then why be all whiny about 19-0? The end result is still the same. The Sox lost ONE GAME yesterday. That's it. Maybe the Angels will pull a typical Sox move and have shot their wad in one game and be anemic offensively for the next 2. Oh wait. Garland is goin today. Let's just hope that the Sox find their bats...

Obviously, it is just one game, but the performances of Dan Wright, Matt Ginter, and Mike Porzio leave a lot to be desired. The Sox need another starter, Dombrowski is on the verge of giving Jeff Weaver away, and from what I've read the Sox are interested along with the Mariners and few other teams. He'd make a hell of a #3 starter

Spiff
05-11-2002, 03:04 PM

That's probably truer than not, but having won 12 or their last 14 coming in, the Sox were facing one of the hottest teams in league. Not to mention a team that had the Sox number last year going 3-6 against them, and losing 5 of 6 in Anaheim...

That sounds reasonable enough until you consider that not only did Adam Kennedy hit his first two homers of the year, and not only did Brad Fullmer hit his first, but Julio-freakin'-Ramirez teed off on the Sox pitching. There is no way to rationalize that.

Garrison
05-11-2002, 03:09 PM
Sure they're just losses, but 19-0 with that sort of pitching and offensive performance is unacceptable. When you start to make excuses and blow them off as just another loss, you become a Cub fan. When we get our asses whooped that badly twice in the space of three series then we as fans have to start criticizing and asking questions. Please guys find some consistency! What hurt us down the stretch last year? We'd get to .500 or within a game and then lose two and then get over .500 and lose a series. Taking two steps forward and then a few backwards is not pennant-winning stuff. They need to make some more changes in the ptiching staff. Trades, call-ups, whatever. Do it now while the season is still young, and for chirsts sakes be consistent!

soxtalker
05-11-2002, 03:24 PM
These are painful losses, but it's early. I'll be a lot more concerned if we're seeing them in July. The worst thing about them now (compared to a 2-0 loss) is that it probably doesn't do much for the pitchers' confidence.

They probably are pursuing trades, but it also depends on what the other teams need. That can change as the season goes along and injuries start to occur. It strikes me that we're in pretty good shape at the major league level to deal an infielder or outfielder that someone else will want. (For example, Crede can probably be brought up if one of the infielders goes.)

awesomefan
05-11-2002, 03:24 PM
I'm not happy at all when the Sox look so bad. Yesterday they couldn't catch or pitch or hit.

Still I'm not ready to give up on the young arms yet, but I would go along with getting Jeff Weaver if the chance comes up.

It's kinda cool to see guys from rival teams now on the White Sox & helpin' us instead of hurtin' us for once. I really like Sandy Alomar & Kenny Lofton since they came to the White Sox. I didn't really hate them anyway, but Jeff Weaver is a different story. It would be kinda cool to see a tigger put his tail between his legs & come on over to the Good Guys side.

Nellie Fox: I too get the Blues when baseball season ends each fall, but I start looking forward to the Winter Sox Fest & I start feeling better. Reading baseball books & organizing my baseball collectibles is another way I kill some time waiting for Spring Training & another AWESOME baseball season.

Kilroy
05-11-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Garrison
Sure they're just losses, but 19-0 with that sort of pitching and offensive performance is unacceptable. When you start to make excuses and blow them off as just another loss, you become a Cub fan. When we get our asses whooped that badly twice in the space of three series then we as fans have to start criticizing and asking questions. Please guys find some consistency!

Danny Wright hasn't pitched a full season yet. You can't expect consistency. In fact, you can expect the opposite. With Wright tho, because he's so wild, hitters know that he's coming to the strike zone with number 1. So they just wait for it. That being the case, he's gonna get pummeled when his control is off.

But, you should expect them to better than 3 damn hits!

As far as the loss, I didn't say "oh well, just another loss", I said it was just one loss. Where was all this panic on Monday or Thursday? Losing by 1 or losing by 19, its still just one game. So watch where you're tossing that "Cub fan" label.

Should they try and get Weaver? HELL YES! But if you weren't panicking on Monday or Thursday, you shouldn't be doing it today.

voodoochile
05-11-2002, 04:19 PM

Danny Wright hasn't pitched a full season yet. You can't expect consistency. In fact, you can expect the opposite. With Wright tho, because he's so wild, hitters know that he's coming to the strike zone with number 1. So they just wait for it. That being the case, he's gonna get pummeled when his control is off.

But, you should expect them to better than 3 damn hits!

As far as the loss, I didn't say "oh well, just another loss", I said it was just one loss. Where was all this panic on Monday or Thursday? Losing by 1 or losing by 19, its still just one game. So watch where you're tossing that "Cub fan" label.

Should they try and get Weaver? HELL YES! But if you weren't panicking on Monday or Thursday, you shouldn't be doing it today.

Totally agree... The losses on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday bust me up way more than that one does. Every team gets shelled and until the Sox young pitchers find some consistency or the team trades for another starter, these are going to happen to us.

Making Julio Rameriz look like an all-star is something else entirely - that cheeses me off...

doublem23
05-11-2002, 04:54 PM
Ahhhh.. Nothing but sound and fury...

Look on the bright side, we blocked that PAT!

duke of dorwood
05-11-2002, 09:44 PM
The offense Thurs and Fri against 2 pitchers with a combined 1 win this year is alarming. I am picking up a mentality on this team that they think they can turn it on & off when they feel like it. I really think this "we got tomorrow" attitude will be their undoing. When you face mediocre pitching, you should win. And another thing, not one high inside pitch while they were embarrassing us.

Bisco Stu
05-11-2002, 10:28 PM
Love that Jeff Dorchen quote. Couldn't agree more. When I see people waving flags, I'm reminded of Nazi Germany.

Spiff
05-12-2002, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Love that Jeff Dorchen quote. Couldn't agree more. When I see people waving flags, I'm reminded of Nazi Germany.

Thanks, I found it here.

http://oblivio.com/mejeffdorchen/moments/moment_bestfriends.html

He has some pretty good essays in the archives.