PDA

View Full Version : 3-Run Grand Slam

doublem23
08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280806104

And, for when they change it...

eriqjaffe
08-07-2008, 09:47 AM
I posted pretty much the same picture on another board I frequent last night, and the first response was, "well, then, what did Hall call all night?".

Royals fans... :rolleyes:

mccoydp
08-07-2008, 10:14 AM
I caught this as well. Great journalism.

doublem23
08-07-2008, 10:19 AM
:moron
Who else beside the White Sox could hit the least run-producing grand slam in MLB history?

roylestillman
08-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Classic. How long has this been up?

If the Red Sox hit a 3 run grand slam, you'd bet it would lead Sportscenter

eriqjaffe
08-07-2008, 10:22 AM
I suppose it's possible, theoretically, for there to be a 3-run slam in two ways:

1) One runner passes another on the bases, resulting in one of the two (the passed one, IIRC) to be called out.

2) One runner fails to step on a base, resulting in an out.

In both cases, that runner's run wouldn't count - 3 run slam.

Of course, Thome's shot was a 2-out shot, so a runner being called out on the bases in one of those goofy scenarios would end the inning, and I don't think any subsequent runs would count. Heck, if the runner on 3rd failed to touch the plate, it could be a 0-run slam.

...this has been up since just after the game ended last night.

cleanwsox
08-07-2008, 10:25 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/preview;_ylt=At5o5uWWUd5Sq0ST6vG8xU85nYcB?gid=2808 07104

Still waiting for Jim's 500th HR I guess?

hi im skot
08-07-2008, 10:28 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/preview;_ylt=At5o5uWWUd5Sq0ST6vG8xU85nYcB?gid=2808 07104

Still waiting for Jim's 500th HR I guess?

Somebody needs to boot these interns in the ass.

ChiSoxFan7
08-07-2008, 01:46 PM
well they fixed the espn one but not the yahoo one as of 12 46 on thursday 8-7

hi im skot
08-07-2008, 01:47 PM
well the fixed the espn one but not the yahoo obe as of 12 46 on firday 8-7

Huh?

ChiSoxFan7
08-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Huh?

:redface:thats what you call typing way to fast and watching frazier vs. ali history on CSN

TDog
08-07-2008, 02:12 PM
I caught this as well. Great journalism.

The story is in need of a copy editor. It's not very well written and the package could be tightened up considerably. For example, the box says Jim Thome's 529 home runs is third-best ever among active left-handed hitters. Strictly speaking, that's not correct. Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs as an active left-handed hitter. The "ever" isn't just a wasted word, which is bad enough. It makes point inaccurate. Of course, Thome ranks third among active left-handed hitters because for some reason Barry Bonds is considered active. Griffey ranks second, apparently.

I understand AP baseball stories are written as the game goes on. The reporter puts a lead on the story to reflect how it ended atop paragraphs that describe things that happened at various points in the game. The write-throughs punch the story up with postgame quotes. As a write-through, this AP story needs another write-through for editing.

RowanDye
08-07-2008, 02:30 PM
The story is in need of a copy editor. It's not very well written and the package could be tightened up considerably. For example, the box says Jim Thome's 529 home runs is third-best ever among active left-handed hitters. Strictly speaking, that's not correct. Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs as an active left-handed hitter. The "ever" isn't just a wasted word, which is bad enough. It makes point inaccurate. Of course, Thome ranks third among active left-handed hitters because for some reason Barry Bonds is considered active. Griffey ranks second, apparently.

I understand AP baseball stories are written as the game goes on. The reporter puts a lead on the story to reflect how it ended atop paragraphs that describe things that happened at various points in the game. The write-throughs punch the story up with postgame quotes. As a write-through, this AP story needs another write-through for editing.

I noticed that too. No one in their right mind considers Bonds an active player, which makes it's even more special that we have Thome and Griffey in the same lineup. The two most prolific left-handed homerun hitters in the game today!

larryliss
08-07-2008, 02:56 PM
He hit a grand slam Vs oakland , but did not tag home plate and was called out 3 runs score.

TDog
08-07-2008, 03:18 PM
He hit a grand slam Vs oakland , but did not tag home plate and was called out 3 runs score.

On April 7, 1971 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1971/B04072OAK1971.htm), the second game of a scheduled opening day, single-admission doubleheader in Oakland, Carlos May hit a two-run triple off starter and future Hall of Famer Rollie Fingers after missing home plate on an apparent home run with Mike Andrews and Bill Melton on base.

If you saw that game, you had to be in Oakland. There was no television coverage in Chicago or in the Bay Area. Harry Caray was in his first season of doing White Sox games on radio after spending a season in the radio booth of the A's. For the rest of Carlos May's career in Chicago, he had to deal with abuse from Harry Caray.