PDA

View Full Version : MB on Gavin

LITTLE NELL
08-07-2008, 05:49 AM
In an article in the Sun Time MB said that Gavin Floyd might not be able to take the heat of a pennant race as well as Danks.
I love MB but he needs to worry about some of the batting practice games hes pitched this year.

DrCrawdad
08-07-2008, 08:11 AM
In an article in the Sun Time MB said that Gavin Floyd might not be able to take the heat of a pennant race as well as Danks.
I love MB but he needs to worry about some of the batting practice games hes pitched this year.

Here's a link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1095653,CST-SPT-soxnt07.article) to said column. Mark, Sometimes things are best left unsaid.

oeo
08-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Here's a link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1095653,CST-SPT-soxnt07.article) to said column. Mark, Sometimes things are best left unsaid.

I honestly don't see what he said wrong. He didn't blast Gavin or anything, he just compared him to Danks. And he's right, I'm sure about both of them. Danks seems like a big game type pitcher, while Gavin probably succeeds more when the pressure is low. If it really does bother him, maybe this gives Gavin extra inspiration down the stretch.

I don't think Mark was trying to stir things up, anyway. People are going to make a big deal out of it, he's going to feel bad, apologize, and probably not talk the media for awhile again.

spawn
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM
I honestly don't see what he said wrong. He didn't blast Gavin or anything, he just compared him to Danks. And he's right, I'm sure about both of them. Danks seems like a big game type pitcher, while Gavin probably succeeds more when the pressure is low. If it really does bother him, maybe this gives Gavin extra inspiration down the stretch.

I don't think Mark was trying to stir things up, anyway. People are going to make a big deal out of it, he's going to feel bad, apologize, and probably not talk the media for awhile again.
Word. HE didn't criticize Gavin at all. He just said things affect Gavin differently than Danks because Danks is so laid back. if anything, I hope MB says that to Gavin himself. It will only help him in the long run.

PhillipsBubba
08-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Interesting...although MB looked like a deer in the headlights the way he pitched in Kansas City...hey Mark...worry about your own lackluster showing...

voodoochile
08-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Not great, but if it works as a shot in the arm for Floyd or Buehrle or leads to them having some kind of competition to see who can pitch better down the stretch and beyond, I'm all for it.

Maybe BurlyMon is trying to remind himself that's it's time to pick it up another notch.

JB98
08-07-2008, 01:07 PM

Agreed. This will be blown way out of proportion, just like how Konerko supposedly "destroyed team chemistry" with his Royce Clayton-Juan Uribe comments during the World Series year.

A lot of times fans forget that these are grown men. This isn't the 7th grade girls volleyball team at your local middle school. There aren't a bunch of cat fights and jealousies in the locker room. If Floyd takes exception to Buehrle's remarks, I'm sure they'll sort it out amongst themselves.

asindc
08-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Agreed. This will be blown way out of proportion, just like how Konerko supposedly "destroyed team chemistry" with his Royce Clayton-Juan Uribe comments during the World Series year.

A lot of times fans forget that these are grown men. This isn't the 7th grade girls volleyball team at your local middle school. There aren't a bunch of cat fights and jealousies in the locker room. If Floyd takes exception to Buehrle's remarks, I'm sure they'll sort it out amongst themselves.

Agreed. Nothing to see here. Next...

officerron
08-07-2008, 01:14 PM
This coming from a guy who can't pitch over a mistake this year if his life depended on it....

KyWhiSoxFan
08-07-2008, 01:16 PM
The most interesting thing to me in that article was what he said about Danks: Nothing fazes him.

I think Danks, the youngest starter on the staff, is clearly has all it takes to be the No. 1 starter. Heck, he may be the ace of the staff right now.

DeuceUnit
08-07-2008, 01:20 PM
This coming from a guy who can't pitch over a mistake this year if his life depended on it....

Well said DH.

Kornerko is usually good for saying some stupid ignorant thing at least once a season. However, he isn't in the position to make any comments about anyone this year.

hi im skot
08-07-2008, 01:24 PM
This is such a non-story.

doublem23
08-07-2008, 01:25 PM

:rolleyes:

doublem23
08-07-2008, 01:25 PM

Uh, we just beat Detroit 2 straight games and regained 1st place in the division. There has to be something to complain about.

hi im skot
08-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Uh, we just beat Detroit 2 straight games and regained 1st place in the division. There has to be something to complain about.

Boone Logan stole my bike.

southside rocks
08-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Boone Logan stole my bike.

Only because BA dared him to do it.

PolishPower83
08-07-2008, 01:38 PM
This isn't the 7th grade girls volleyball team at your local middle school. There aren't a bunch of cat fights and jealousies in the locker room. If Floyd takes exception to Buehrle's remarks, I'm sure they'll sort it out amongst themselves.

This is my favorite line of the day. I totally agree, these are grown men. And I'm sure Buehrle's answer was in reply to a guided question trying to stir something up about Floyd not being able to handle pressure. There was nothing wrong with Mark's response.

kittle42
08-07-2008, 01:44 PM

What amazes me is even some of our supposedly "COTC" fanbase at WSI thinks it is a story.

hi im skot
08-07-2008, 01:46 PM
What amazes me is even some of our supposedly "COTC" fanbase at WSI thinks it is a story.

I'm guessing most of the people who are freaking out didn't read the article.

Domeshot17
08-07-2008, 01:54 PM
This is not a big deal, it just has bad timing. The reason is Floyd stepped up and pitched a big game in Minnesota for us, while Mark has been getting shelled. I wonder if Mark is feeling the pressure of that big contract.

kittle42
08-07-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm guessing most of the people who are freaking out didn't read the article.

I'd agree. Like people hwo complain and picklet about a movie while never actually having seen it and knowing nothing about it other than they are supposed to be offended somehow.

Bill Naharodny
08-07-2008, 03:30 PM
This is not a big deal, it just has bad timing. The reason is Floyd stepped up and pitched a big game in Minnesota for us, while Mark has been getting shelled. I wonder if Mark is feeling the pressure of that big contract.

Well, this is kinda the interesting thing about the comment; if you look at the last road trip -- the first real big pennant-race games of the season -- I think 'ol Gavin did just fine. He struggled with not-very-good stuff in Detroit and gutted out 6 innings, and he was the ONLY pitcher, starter or relief -- Mark Buehrle included -- who showed up in Minnesota.

Adele_H
08-07-2008, 03:49 PM

Buerhle may be kinda right, although Gavin Floyd's outing in Metrodome was absolutely clutch (unlike Burls's own start there to kick off the series, incidentally...), his latest outing against Detroit was downright Vazquez-esque. Floyd had "no-hit" stuff - 94 mph fastball with some late movement, change-up Detroit hitters missed by a foot a piece and almost unhittable curveball - yet he couldn't make it out of the 5th because of apparent concentration lapses.

maybe the comment works as a motivational gimmick, who knows.

Adele_H
08-07-2008, 03:57 PM
. I wonder if Mark is feeling the pressure of that big contract.

I think he's feeling the pressure of a 85 mph fastball and, perhaps, a periodically sore left shoulder.

hi im skot
08-07-2008, 04:06 PM
I think he's feeling the pressure of a 85 mph fastball and, perhaps, a periodically sore left shoulder.

Adele_H
08-07-2008, 07:02 PM

Yeah, cuz it's so much more reasonable to assert that a fearless, big-game embattled pinpoint control pitcher like Buerhle all of the sudden starts sucking because of the slightly bigger size of his paycheck... Uh-huh

Adele_H
08-08-2008, 04:16 AM

Yep, only Floyd has been worse in that respect.

That's why I find myself using RA+, OPS-against, OPS-against (close), W-L %, more than just ERA, even though it's the most popular stat.

Anyway, this is a non-story as other people mentioned. As the song goes, shut up and play. Or drive. Or something.