View Full Version : Wednesday's Winning Pick to Click

Daver
08-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Did his job.

:thome:

Hi guy's remember me?

aryzner
08-06-2008, 10:56 PM
I thought for sure it'd go to my pick, John Danks!

Daver
08-06-2008, 10:58 PM
I thought for sure it'd go to my pick, John Danks!

For 6-2/3 innings?

MrRoboto83
08-07-2008, 12:22 AM
For 6-2/3 innings?

against one of the best hitting offenses in the league I think so.

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2008, 01:56 AM
For 6-2/3 innings?That's the game these days, Daver. Hell, any more than 5 and you're a hero.

WhiteSox5187
08-07-2008, 02:04 AM
That's the game these days, Daver. Hell, any more than 5 and you're a hero.
I rarely comment on these largely because I don't play the Pick to Click game and even if I did I wouldn't have a whole lot of emotion wrapped up into it as though it somehow confirmed or denied my knowledge of baseball (which is minimal at best). But I think one can make the argument that Danks did enough to at least qualify consideration for the pick to click today. Most teams today have their bullpen set up so they have guys to go to in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings. And if your start can get you six solid innings and you can turn the game over to those guys (which is assuming of course that they've been shutting people down for the better part of the year) you'd be a fool not to do that. I don't think a pitcher needs to throw a complete game or eight innings to be worthy of being named as the player who had the biggest impact in the game (which I assume this contest is largely about). If a guy like El Duque comes into a situation like game three of the ALDS with the bases loaded and no out and gets out of it without giving up a run, is he not worthy of the pick to click because he only threw an inning?

Again, I'm not bitching here, I'm just throwing my own two cents into the discussion. I have no rooting interest in these and am just playing the devil's advocate here. Thome is a very worthy pick too! :cool:

SpartanSoxFan
08-07-2008, 02:20 AM
I rarely comment on these largely because I don't play the Pick to Click game and even if I did I wouldn't have a whole lot of emotion wrapped up into it as though it somehow confirmed or denied my knowledge of baseball (which is minimal at best). But I think one can make the argument that Danks did enough to at least qualify consideration for the pick to click today. Most teams today have their bullpen set up so they have guys to go to in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings. And if your start can get you six solid innings and you can turn the game over to those guys (which is assuming of course that they've been shutting people down for the better part of the year) you'd be a fool not to do that. I don't think a pitcher needs to throw a complete game or eight innings to be worthy of being named as the player who had the biggest impact in the game (which I assume this contest is largely about). If a guy like El Duque comes into a situation like game three of the ALDS with the bases loaded and no out and gets out of it without giving up a run, is he not worthy of the pick to click because he only threw an inning?

Again, I'm not bitching here, I'm just throwing my own two cents into the discussion. I have no rooting interest in these and am just playing the devil's advocate here. Thome is a very worthy pick too! :cool:

Amen. I agree with Thome as his home run was basically the only offense the Sox could muster against a very tough Verlander tonight. Although, Danks really saved the bullpen by working into the deep into the 7th. 6 2/3 is a bit misleading, and he defined the statement "Did his job."