PDA

View Full Version : Hawk just announced his top 3 teams he's seen all year

ndgt10
08-06-2008, 10:06 PM
The White Sox, Angels, and Cubs. :gulp:

thomas35forever
08-06-2008, 10:08 PM
We'll see if that changes after we play the Red Sox. Then again, I doubt he'll change it.

officerron
08-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Tampa Bay is either 3rd on my list replacing the Sox, or a close 4th.

It's Dankerific
08-06-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm sure the White Sox were in his top 3 last year too. He prefaced by saying "When we play the way we're capable of".

kittle42
08-06-2008, 10:23 PM
I agree with two of those, and one is in the National League.

jdm2662
08-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm sure the White Sox were in his top 3 last year too. He prefaced by saying "When we play the way we're capable of".

He'd just be saying the Sox hasn't hit their stride yet. Once they do, they are the most dangerous team in the league. Watch out!

aryzner
08-06-2008, 11:00 PM
The White Sox are always the best in my world even when they don't win! :smile:

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2008, 11:11 PM
I agree with two of those, and one is in the National League.

:rolleyes:

As I like to remind my Cub fan friends, the Cubs have benefited greatly from beating up on the the dregs of the NL Central (31-21) and NL West (23-10). I'd be more inclined to agree with you and Hawk if the Cubs had a winning interleague record. But they don't (6-9).

kitekrazy
08-06-2008, 11:55 PM

As I like to remind my Cub fan friends, the Cubs have benefited greatly from beating up on the the dregs of the NL Central (31-21) and NL West (23-10). I'd be more inclined to agree with you and Hawk if the Cubs had a winning interleague record. But they don't (6-9).

Ooooooo I hate this but I have to defend them. I think they are the only NL team capable of winning it all. (please note capable) They are a well balanced team. Their starting pitching is not too shabby. They are hard to beat at home and Zambrano is not a bad hitter.

On the other hand the Angels have the best road record in baseball and I think the 2nd best is not even close.

I could see Hawk picking the Sox. The Sox were suppose to place 3rd or 4th this season. They probably would be if it weren't for Danks, Floyd and Quentin.

The best team doesn't always win in the post season. A 80 win team can get hot in October and win it all.

chisoxfanatic
08-07-2008, 12:11 AM
I'm shocked he didn't pick the Twins considering the hard-on he has for them.

Konerko05
08-07-2008, 12:16 AM
I think they are the only NL team capable of winning it all.

The best team doesn't always win in the post season. A 80 win team can get hot in October and win it all.

Aren't those two statements kind of contradictory?

jabrch
08-07-2008, 12:28 AM
I think LAAAAA also benefits from a crappy (4 team) division. If the Sox were over there, with Seattle, Oakland and Texas, we'd be 20 games up.

I'd put Boston on the list. Tampa also. Probably the Cubs #3 and us #4.

FedEx227
08-07-2008, 12:36 AM
I think LAAAAA also benefits from a crappy (4 team) division. If the Sox were over there, with Seattle, Oakland and Texas, we'd be 20 games up.

I also thought that earlier in the season but that's not true.

24-13 vs. AL East
18-10 vs. AL Central
19-12 vs. AL West

They've beat up on baseball's best division a good amount.

Also, White Sox are 11-11 vs. the AL West

Adele_H
08-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Tampa Bay is either 3rd on my list replacing the Sox, or a close 4th.

Tampa Bay's starting rotation could compete with anybody.

But their line-up is not in the same league as Angels, Cubs, White Sox, Brewers or Red Sox.

That's why their inaction at the trade deadline was so puzzling (especially as Yankees couldn't lose at the time)... I am sorry but Floyd/Gomez at DH? Gross/Hinske in RF? Barflett at SS? Even Carlos Pena clean-up is not doing it for me.

Their GM must have stones the size of madagascar.

kittle42
08-07-2008, 12:46 AM

You have to beat who is put in front of you. If they truly are that weak, which I don't really believe, it will show in the playoffs.

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2008, 01:44 AM
This isn't the first time this year that Hawk has said that.

Konerko05
08-07-2008, 02:43 AM
This isn't the first time this year that Hawk has said that.

At this point in the year, I don't think we are going to hear anything new from Hawk.

Ziggy S
08-07-2008, 03:35 AM
Besides really annoying intentional catchphrases, we have not heard anything new from the "Hawk" in at least a decade.

BeviBall!
08-07-2008, 08:17 AM

He is such a clown. There are 12 teams that can make the same claim. We are if we play our absolute best. O RLY?

Frater Perdurabo
08-07-2008, 08:21 AM
You have to beat who is put in front of you. If they truly are that weak, which I don't really believe, it will show in the playoffs.

I'm not saying they are weak. But for me to believe that they are one of the best teams in baseball, they will need not only to blow through the crappy NL, but also win (or at least be competitive in) the World Series. If they don't, then they are just another team that got a lucky schedule and feasted on a crappy league that got "found out" when the games mattered.

What .500+ teams have they played?

2-2 against the Marlins.
1-2 against the Phillies.
2-0 against the Mets.
6-4 against the Brewers.
3-3 against the Cardinals.
4-2 against the Diamondbacks.
0-3 against Tampa Bay
3-3 against the White Sox.
21-19 is a good record against .500+ teams, but I don't think it makes them one of the top three teams in MLB.

Are the Cubs the best team in the NL? Sure. But that's like being the best team in the International League.

In no particular order, I think the Rays, Angels and Red Sox are better than the Cubs. The Yankees may be as well. I think the Cubs are about even with the White Sox and Phillies.

spawn
08-07-2008, 08:37 AM
I heard that last night. i shook my head when he said it. I'm with kittle42. I agree with two of the teams he mentioned.

Adele_H
08-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Hawk just announced his top 3 teams he's seen all year

The White Sox, Angels, and Cubs. :gulp:

Now, he did preface it by saying that the above teams still aren't quite in the same league as Yaz, Catfish Hunter and Al Kaline, no?