PDA

View Full Version : This is Funny

skottyj242
08-06-2008, 02:09 PM
So I'm at work watching the Cubs game and a promo comes on for the 20th anniversary of the first night game at Wrigley. They're giving away hats to commerate the first night game at Wrigley. They're going to have a big celebration of the first night game at Wrigley. The game is at 1:20.

JermaineDye05
08-06-2008, 02:20 PM
That's pretty funny. What is with all the day games though? I've never really understood the reason why almost all their games at Wrigley are day games.

Clembasbal
08-06-2008, 02:23 PM
So I'm at work watching the Cubs game and a promo comes on for the 20th anniversary of the first night game at Wrigley. They're giving away hats to commerate the first night game at Wrigley. They're going to have a big celebration of the first night game at Wrigley. The game is at 1:20.

Are they having it on 8-8 or 8-9? Are they counting the rainout as the 1st game?

skottyj242
08-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Are they having it on 8-8 or 8-9? Are they counting the rainout as the 1st game?

It's Friday so it's 8-8-2008.

spawn
08-06-2008, 02:26 PM
:rolling:

jabrch
08-06-2008, 02:27 PM
That's pretty funny. What is with all the day games though? I've never really understood the reason why almost all their games at Wrigley are day games.

The city has limited the # of night games they can play...

JermaineDye05
08-06-2008, 02:29 PM

Ah ok.

LoveYourSuit
08-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Cubs management is negotiating for weekend night games from the last report I heard.

turners56
08-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Nice job, Cubs PR.

Has anyone ever noticed that the Cubs commercials (mostly promotional commercials) look like they're from the 80s and look horrible?

turners56
08-06-2008, 02:33 PM

That might have to do with the amount of drunks walking around Wrigleyville after night games.

ChiSoxGirl
08-06-2008, 03:55 PM

:roflmao: Awesome! Way to go, Cubs' PR!

pierzynski07
08-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Don't all Friday and Saturday games have to be during the day? So if they want the celebration to be exactly 20 years, then it has to be during the day.

kobo
08-06-2008, 04:57 PM
That might have to do with the amount of drunks walking around Wrigleyville after night games.
I think that was the reasoning 20 years ago when they first got lights, and to try to keep the neighborhood quiet at night, but does it really matter anymore? That area of town is always packed and there are always people out at night bar hopping even if there isn't a game going on.

chisoxfanatic
08-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Don't all Friday and Saturday games have to be during the day? So if they want the celebration to be exactly 20 years, then it has to be during the day.
The only time they can have a night game during the weekend is if ESPN's gonna do Sunday Night Baseball from Wrigley. That's another reason to hate the Cubs...all the day games. I mean, I'll never turn down going to a Sox day game; but, I really don't like day games at all! In my honest opinion, baseball was meant to be played under the stars. Night games just seem much more magical to me.

Brian26
08-06-2008, 06:31 PM

It's interesting how people have different perspectives on things. I think they entirely have too many night games now and wish they would have more day games. Seems like every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday home game now is a night game (today being an exception). I hate dealing with Scrub fans in the late afternoon on my way home.

Brian26
08-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I think that was the reasoning 20 years ago when they first got lights, and to try to keep the neighborhood quiet at night, but does it really matter anymore? That area of town is always packed and there are always people out at night bar hopping even if there isn't a game going on.

Great point. Of course, one could argue that the late night scene around there has been promulgated by Wrigley night games over the past 20 years.

russ99
08-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Great point. Of course, one could argue that the late night scene around there has been promulgated by Wrigley night games over the past 20 years.

Well, the concern by the neighborhood groups is the Wrigley crowd plus all the drinkers already there...

The area is full of drinkers on Friday and Saturday nights already, and to add another 30-40,000 drunks leaving Wrigley after 10pm looking for booze, trouble and/or public places to relieve themselves on top of that would really push things to the edge.

Unless the city caves and/or the Cubs offer up a big gesture to compensate the neighborhood (like restricting alcohol sales even further on those nights), I doubt anything will change.

TheCommander
08-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Has anyone ever noticed that the Cubs commercials (mostly promotional commercials) look like they're from the 80s and look horrible?

Fits right in with that God-awful "theme song" . :puking:

white sox bill
08-07-2008, 06:52 AM
When the Wrigleys owned the team, he was of the beleif that baseball was made to be played in the daytime. When the Trib bought them all that changed. In the little cow town I live near, they have a Wrigley replica and are promoting the first night game at the Urinal complete with Maddux wanna-bes doing the tarp slid. Of course cub fans think that was invented by thier team too. And they still think they are the only team that does the tarp slide to this day

DumpJerry
08-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Well, the concern by the neighborhood groups is the Wrigley crowd plus all the drinkers already there...

The area is full of drinkers on Friday and Saturday nights already, and to add another 30-40,000 drunks leaving Wrigley after 10pm looking for booze, trouble and/or public places to relieve themselves on top of that would really push things to the edge.

Unless the city caves and/or the Cubs offer up a big gesture to compensate the neighborhood (like restricting alcohol sales even further on those nights), I doubt anything will change.
There's the answer. The Alderman for the ward does not want to throw an additional 40,000 people into the mix that is there on a Friday and Saturday night.

I remember when they announced in 1988 the date of the first night game. We were in the middle of a serious drought (something like 8 weeks with no precipitation whatsoever). I said, it's gonna rain that night. That day started out very sunny like all the others for two months before. About a hour or so before the game started, it got very cloudy and it rained for the first time since something like May. The rain lasted about a hour, but the damage was done. Another amazing thing about that rain, it did not rain on the south side or even downtown! Seriously.

The message was sent. The message has been ignored.

doublem23
08-07-2008, 08:21 AM
The only time they can have a night game during the weekend is if ESPN's gonna do Sunday Night Baseball from Wrigley. That's another reason to hate the Cubs...all the day games. I mean, I'll never turn down going to a Sox day game; but, I really don't like day games at all! In my honest opinion, baseball was meant to be played under the stars. Night games just seem much more magical to me.

http://yesterdayssalad.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/bckcft2ot7g.jpg
Night games suck.

hi im skot
08-07-2008, 09:27 AM
...complete with Maddux wanna-bes doing the tarp slid. Of course cub fans think that was invented by thier team too.

The dude who invented the Slip-n-Slide should get the credit.

And they still think they are the only team that does the tarp slide to this day

Well, the Sox sure ain't doing it these days.

SOXPHILE
08-07-2008, 09:38 AM
There's the answer. The Alderman for the ward does not want to throw an additional 40,000 people into the mix that is there on a Friday and Saturday night.

I remember when they announced in 1988 the date of the first night game. We were in the middle of a serious drought (something like 8 weeks with no precipitation whatsoever). I said, it's gonna rain that night. That day started out very sunny like all the others for two months before. About a hour or so before the game started, it got very cloudy and it rained for the first time since something like May. The rain lasted about a hour, but the damage was done. Another amazing thing about that rain, it did not rain on the south side or even downtown! Seriously.

The message was sent. The message has been ignored.

I remember that well. I was doing the same thing, in the middle of that drought, telling everyone it was going to rain on the Cubbies and their little party. When it did happen, everyone was like "Holy **** ! How the hell did you do that ?" I loved it because not only did it ruin the event, but all ****head tourists and yuppies who paid scalpers extremely high prices just for the "privelage" of being a part of "history", would only get face value back.

Sad
08-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Cubs management is negotiating for weekend night games from the last report I heard.

supposedly negotiating for Friday NIGHT games... as Thursday is often a travel day for MLB teams

TDog
08-07-2008, 12:48 PM

And they still allow too many.

fusillirob1983
08-07-2008, 09:34 PM
That area of town is always packed and there are always people out at night bar hopping even if there isn't a game going on.

It's like that on non-game weeknights south of Addison at least. If it's a weeknight and there wasn't a game the area's north of Addison isn't really different than any other area in the city.

LongLiveFisk
08-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Nice job, Cubs PR.

When they bring back "Jump" by Van Halen, then I'll be forced to agree. :tongue:

(Did they ruin that song for anyone else besides me?)

Nellie_Fox
08-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Lights were to be installed in Wrigley in 1942. Had it happened, night games would have become common there, and there would be no ordinance now limiting the number and days of night games.

However, WWII happened, and they donated the steel from the light towers that were to be installed to the war effort. And the rest, as they say, is history.

FedEx227
08-08-2008, 02:26 AM
It's interesting how people have different perspectives on things. I think they entirely have too many night games now and wish they would have more day games. Seems like every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday home game now is a night game (today being an exception). I hate dealing with Scrub fans in the late afternoon on my way home.

Same here, I love day games both to play in and to watch/attend.