PDA

View Full Version : Konerko-meter

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Previously I said I'd be satisfied if PK put up an .850 OPS for August, September and October. Lo and behold, after three games, PK has a 1.185 OPS for August! He's hitting .200, but both hits are homers, and I'm sticking to my promise to evaluate him based solely on his OPS.

So let's start tracking Paulie's OPS on the Konerko-meter!

If anyone - especially fans of PK - would like to update Konerko-meter, please do so. Let's not argue; let's just track his production.

Konerko-meter after August 5 game: 1.185 OPS!

:supernana:

jabrch
08-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Previously I said I'd be satisfied if PK put up an .850 OPS for August, September and October. Lo and behold, after three games, PK has a 1.185 OPS for August! He's hitting .200, but both hits are homers, and I'm sticking to my promise to evaluate him based solely on his OPS.

If anyone - especially fans of PK - would like to update Konerko-meter, please do so. Let's not argue; let's just track his production.

HA HA HA...nice

I notice you put it in RED. RED for a number usually indicates either negative or bad... Is that intentional?

AnkleSox
08-06-2008, 02:00 PM
HA HA HA...nice

I notice you put it in RED. RED for a number usually indicates either negative or bad... Is that intentional?

Red=fire=HOT! Let's hope it stays that way. :smile:

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2008, 02:02 PM
HA HA HA...nice

Red=fire=HOT! Let's hope it stays that way. :smile:

Just wanted to make it stand out. Let's hope he stays hot! :bandance:

jabrch
08-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Just wanted to make it stand out. Let's hope he stays hot! :bandance:

For sure - we are a better team with a HOT PK.

hawkjt
08-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Just hit a homer every other day,PK, and you are golden with me.:D:

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Just hit a homer every other day,PK, and you are golden with me.:D:

Preferably with men on base! :D:

tstrike2000
08-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Frater, President of both the Konerko Fan Club and Hate Club.

Frontman
08-06-2008, 02:27 PM
All will be well. I dropped him from my fantasy team last Friday.....

Oldfellah
08-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I've noticed a change in Paulie since KGJ has come on the team. He has a lot more patience at the plate and looks to be seeing the ball better... He's also hitting the ball harder, just at the other team... I look for him to heat up REAL SOON!!!

Frontman
08-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I've noticed a change in Paulie since KGJ has come on the team. He has a lot more patience at the plate and looks to be seeing the ball better... He's also hitting the ball harder, just at the other team... I look for him to heat up REAL SOON!!!

Having a solid yet slow hitter with a good OBP in front of you followed by a sure fire HOF hitter behind you can make anyone better. I'm glad to see that the team as a whole has handled Griff's arrival on the roster with class. Noone is pouting over missing playing time, all are trying to contribute whenever they get the chance.

With Paulie, he's seeing the ball well enough. He just needs to get out from under them when he hits. The amount of pop-ups are just insane from him. He'd be sitting on 15-20 home runs if he squared up properly on them.

MetroPD
08-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Paulie needs to get it on track, its been a horrendous year for him thus far.

Carolina Kenny
08-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I think its a good indicator that Paulies defense has picked up recently.

His hitting should follow. Even just a two week hot streak would come in handy right about now.

turners56
08-06-2008, 03:38 PM

Too bad his season OPS is .678...

In other news, Alexei Ramirez's OPS is .813!

palehozenychicty
08-06-2008, 03:45 PM
If he starts to drive the ball to center and right, then it'll be all good. He's definitely improved with Jr. in the lineup.

Kuzman
08-06-2008, 04:07 PM
This picture in my sig helped the last time he hit a serious funk. Let's see if it has the same effects this time around. :scratch:

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Too bad his season OPS is .678...

In other news, Alexei Ramirez's OPS is .813!

Let's not worry about the past. Let's forget about April, May, June and July. We're up one game in the standings (same win total, two fewer losses), so from here on out if Paulie can just put up an .850 OPS for August and September, he'll be doing his part to make sure the Sox get to play in October.

turners56
08-06-2008, 04:10 PM
This picture in my sig helped the last time he hit a serious funk. Let's see if it has the same effects this time around. :scratch:

:redneck

35th and Shields
08-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Anyone see that BOMB Konerko hit in his previous at-bat to the homerun ball. It went way foul but it was crushed. If it was fair I think it may have been a few rows short of the concourse in left.

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
We interrupt this thread to note that Paulie just recorded hit #1,500 in the first inning of Wednesday night's game against the Tigers.

:bandance:

Over By There
08-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Shouldn't it be the "Konerk-O-meter"?

/showing self out

jabrch
08-07-2008, 10:44 PM
LOL...

I have no idea if it is sustainable - but it is nice to see Paulie look like he MIGHT be getting hot.

Frater Perdurabo
08-07-2008, 11:04 PM
As of the completion of the August 6 game, the Konerko-meter registers an OPS of 1.104.

I imagine that tonight's (August 7) game will exert upward pressure on the Konerko-meter. :smile:

voodoochile
08-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Shouldn't it be the "Konerk-O-meter"?

/showing self out

How about Kong-O-Meter?

Walnutometer (read like thermometer)

Peekometer?

Adele_H
08-07-2008, 11:48 PM
He'd be sitting on 15-20 home runs if he squared up properly on them

Yeah shame on you Paulie for not squaring up on pitches :angry:

:walnuts
HA!

soxfanreggie
08-08-2008, 12:15 AM
I'll be wearing my PK jersey to the game on Saturday. Hope it brings him some luck.

#1swisher
08-08-2008, 10:02 AM
PK was thursdays' winning pick to click:tongue:

Adele_H
08-08-2008, 01:08 PM
I'll be wearing my PK jersey to the game on Saturday. Hope it brings him some luck.

Not impressed. If you want to help, you should do something more constructive, something with an actual direct impact on Paulie's game - like breaking Matsuzaka's opposable thumbs.

Frater Perdurabo
08-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Konerko-meter after August 7 game: 1.241 OPS!

:)

Frater Perdurabo
08-11-2008, 11:24 PM
I thought that after tonight's disappointing loss, we could use a "pick-me-up."

Konerko-meter as of August 11: 1.057 OPS

voodoochile
08-14-2008, 04:31 PM
:walnuts:
"Love the thread, Frater! I notice you even have me on next year's team. Does this mean I am forgiven?"

*Opens arms for hug while Toby Hall sneaks up behind Frater*

Frater Perdurabo
08-14-2008, 07:09 PM
:walnuts:
"Love the thread, Frater! I notice you even have me on next year's team. Does this mean I am forgiven?"

*Opens arms for hug while Toby Hall sneaks up behind Frater*

You're with us through at least 2010, Paulie, so I want you to tear the cover off the ball while you're here.

After last night's game, the Konerko-meter reads: .968!

I'm too lazy to do the math, so we'll just wait another day to see what ESPN's web site says the Konerko-meter should be after today's PTC performance.

MISoxfan
08-14-2008, 08:54 PM

pczarapa
08-14-2008, 09:25 PM

I have seen the same thing, maybe it's a coincidence but he looks a helluva lot better up there.

Adele_H
08-15-2008, 03:45 AM
You're with us through at least 2010, Paulie

Um, you're making a joke, right?

I hate to break it to you, Frater Perdurabo, but, unless he suffers a substantial drop-off in his offensive production this year & for a few years after that... Paul Konerko most likely will be the White Sox hitting instructor when he retires from playing. He fits the desired organizational profile perfectly.

"Might as well set aside a few acres in your heart for your ol' buddy Kong. I am here for the long haul"

White City
08-15-2008, 08:38 AM

I hate to break it to you, Frater Perdurabo, but, unless he suffers a substantial drop-off in his offensive production this year & for a few years after that... Paul Konerko most likely will be the White Sox hitting instructor when he retires from playing. He fits the desired organizational profile perfectly.

"Might as well set aside a few acres in your heart for your ol' buddy Kong. I am here for the long haul"

I just puked a little in my mouth.

soxinem1
08-15-2008, 09:19 AM

The same thing happened in Y2K when Harold Baines came back and cut a little into PK's playing time.

Everyone needs a wake-up call sometimes, but in PK's case this year, he was banged up pretty good for awhile.

cws05champ
08-15-2008, 09:21 AM
The same thing happened in Y2K when Harold Baines came back and cut a little into PK's playing time.

Everyone needs a wake-up call sometimes, but in PK's case this year, he was banged up pretty good for awhile.

If all the Griffey trade did is wake up Paulie and Swish, it was well worth it!!!

kevingrt
08-15-2008, 11:02 AM
If all the Griffey trade did is wake up Paulie and Swish, it was well worth it!!!

I think anyone hear would have traded Masset and Richar for a PK and #30 wake up call. And an insurance big booper, gotta love it.

MISoxfan
08-15-2008, 11:38 AM

He did say at least.

jabrch
08-18-2008, 11:09 PM
You're with us through at least 2010, Paulie, so I want you to tear the cover off the ball while you're here.

After last night's game, the Konerko-meter reads: .968!

I'm too lazy to do the math, so we'll just wait another day to see what ESPN's web site says the Konerko-meter should be after today's PTC performance.

Update?

Jurr
08-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Update?
His belly chub took a nice little pop today. He'll have a nice little black and blue spot on the ole' happy trail tonight!

veeter
08-18-2008, 11:27 PM
I think Paulie's reached the 'screw it' mind set. Stats are out the window. He's been a lot better the last week or so. More free and easy like the old days.

jabrch
08-18-2008, 11:51 PM
I think Paulie's reached the 'screw it' mind set. Stats are out the window. He's been a lot better the last week or so. More free and easy like the old days.

It could also be that he is healthy...

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 12:39 AM

He also hit the ball hard to CF almost to the warning track liner today.

"Screw it", is damn right: at this point, we're not asking Kong to come through with a ton of spectacular at-bats resulting in majestic towering HR to left and missile frozen ropes out of the park to right.... but merely to minimize the ugly AB.

(If he does that, he'll still see plenty of drivable mistakes and will still get his share of "cheap" HR just over LF fence at the cell. )

Frater Perdurabo
08-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Most recent stats available from ESPN are updated through the Oakland series, but not the first Seattle game.

They show the Konerko-meter at 1.007.

More importantly, the Sox are 10-6 in August.

I don't think that's mere coincidence, either.

palehozenychicty
08-19-2008, 08:49 AM
He's hit a little better this month, but they'll have to evaluate him seriously this winter. His trends over the last two years are not encouraging.

voodoochile
08-19-2008, 10:18 AM
He's hit a little better this month, but they'll have to evaluate him seriously this winter. His trends over the last two years are not encouraging.

Evaluate and then do what? He's got a guaranteed contract through 2010 with trade approval.

Oh and Swish has climbed his August OPS to .798 too. With those two hitting this offense is as dangerous as there is in baseball. If Crede comes back and hits up to form... watch out!

PeteWard
08-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Evaluate and then do what? He's got a guaranteed contract through 2010 with trade approval.

Oh and Swish has climbed his August OPS to .798 too. With those two hitting this offense is as dangerous as there is in baseball. If Crede comes back and hits up to form... watch out!

Forget "watch out", voodoo. The O is here to stay and Crede is just a bonus.
I look for them to ring up a lot of runs on anyone right now, not just SEA and KC.

I see a fun September! :bandance:

jabrch
08-19-2008, 10:59 AM

Exactly Voo. You don't trade PK now - even with a good summer, his value is still low. And it isn't like we have a long list of 1B options out there. We aren't going to pursue Tiexiera. We don't have a CF option to move Swish to 1B.

The best thing about PK hitting like PK is that we can make a reasonable case to expect the same next year, and to call this year's bad start due to injuries and write off 2007 as collective misery.

ChicagoHoosier
08-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Exactly Voo. You don't trade PK now - even with a good summer, his value is still low. And it isn't like we have a long list of 1B options out there. We aren't going to pursue Tiexiera. We don't have a CF option to move Swish to 1B.

The best thing about PK hitting like PK is that we can make a reasonable case to expect the same next year, and to call this year's bad start due to injuries and write off 2007 as collective misery.

CF Option? Sure we do! We can pick up Griffey's option for next year.

:?:

jabrch
08-19-2008, 12:40 PM
CF Option? Sure we do! We can pick up Griffey's option for next year.

:?:

Yikes...

jabrch
08-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Frater?

It's Dankerific
08-25-2008, 08:51 AM

What happened to PK's rolling 2 year averages? We're just going to ignore that previously super useful stats?

voodoochile
08-25-2008, 10:29 AM
What happened to PK's rolling 2 year averages? We're just going to ignore that previously super useful stats?

I've never heard of a 2 year average. I've heard of a three year average, but with PK posting a .841 OPS last year with 31 HR, 34 2B and 90 RBI, I would think you wouldn't really want to go there. That's still a fine season, especially post roids.

Edit: Oh and in September 2006 he posted a 1.002 OPS with a .600 slg, 6 HR and 5 2B. That would be the first month of any rolling two year average, so again, I don't see how it helps your arguments against playing PK or trying to trade him while his value is at it's lowest.

jabrch
08-25-2008, 12:07 PM
I've never heard of a 2 year average. I've heard of a three year average, but with PK posting a .841 OPS last year with 31 HR, 34 2B and 90 RBI, I would think you wouldn't really want to go there. That's still a fine season, especially post roids.

Edit: Oh and in September 2006 he posted a 1.002 OPS with a .600 slg, 6 HR and 5 2B. That would be the first month of any rolling two year average, so again, I don't see how it helps your arguments against playing PK or trying to trade him while his value is at it's lowest.

2 year....3 year...whatever...

Any single data point that is out there needs to be looked at in context. You can't just look at one statistic to evaluate ANYONE.

I still look at what Konerko does at the plate and see value to it. If one doesn't - that's fine. If one has no patience to deal with a down year - that's fine too. If one can't comprehend the impact of a hand injury in their evaluation of Konerko - that's fine too. I don't really give a damn.

I'm quite happy Williams and Guillen have allowed PK the chance to HIT his way out of his slump. Forcing him to SIT his way out would have been an awful idea.

It's Dankerific
08-25-2008, 05:04 PM
If you look at the beginning of the year, PK supporters were all over his "2-year rolling averages" and such. Now, it seems to me, that when that stat isn't going to be to their benefit in April 2009 (I'm not talking about anything else, because the original post i quoted was talking about next year), that we need to just throw out a bad year and a injury year.

Like jabrch said, people can think whatever they want about it. But is it too much to ask that people spouting off SPECIFIC statistics in April, May, June and part of July not then want to marginalize their effectiveness the moment they start to turn. And in April 2009, PK will not be doing well in the "2-year rolling averages" categories, for WHATEVER reason.

Look at my own imperfect BA stats. Did I stop updating them when it doesn't show some skewed BA starting winning percentage? No. But I can at least take my lumps instead of saying I don't care.

2 year....3 year...whatever...

Any single data point that is out there needs to be looked at in context. You can't just look at one statistic to evaluate ANYONE.

I still look at what Konerko does at the plate and see value to it. If one doesn't - that's fine. If one has no patience to deal with a down year - that's fine too. If one can't comprehend the impact of a hand injury in their evaluation of Konerko - that's fine too. I don't really give a damn.

I'm quite happy Williams and Guillen have allowed PK the chance to HIT his way out of his slump. Forcing him to SIT his way out would have been an awful idea.

Frater Perdurabo
08-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Frater?

Sorry. Family and work (the first day of fall classes) are a bit more important. :tongue:

The Konerko-meter has been updated as of Sunday's clutch game-tying pinch hit: 1.044

Even more encouraging is his .327 average since August 1.

jabrch
08-27-2008, 11:50 AM
You need your priorities straightened out Frater... :-)

aryzner
08-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Konerko is one of the keys the Sox needed to find to open the doors to the postseason. It would seem that Konerko is on the verge of being found or is possibly found already!

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2008, 09:52 PM
As of the August 30 game, the Konerko-meter reads: 1.063!

Give us in September what you gave us in August, Paulie, and I think you'll have a chance to play in October.

jabrch
09-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm looking forward to another update...

MISoxfan
09-06-2008, 01:57 AM
I believe it is 1.319 in September so far.

In August Paulie increased his OPS from .663 to .742. Its .766 now, if he manages to belt out 8 more homeruns this month and makes it .850 would that mean he had a satisfactory season by your measure Frater?

I know its a crazy long shot and I would never call it satisfactory, but that is your measurement.

MISoxfan
09-06-2008, 01:59 AM
I do understand that increasing from .750 to .850 is substantially harder than .650 to .750. I haven't tried to do the math, but I would think if he managed to hit for the same average and OBP but doubled his HRs it might end up being close.

guillensdisciple
09-06-2008, 04:55 AM
konerko is coming back into form, could mean absoutely great things to the sox...

Frater Perdurabo
09-06-2008, 07:07 AM
I'm looking forward to another update...

Can't a guy spend some time with his wife and kid? :tongue:

I believe it is 1.319 in September so far.

In August Paulie increased his OPS from .663 to .742. Its .766 now, if he manages to belt out 8 more homeruns this month and makes it .850 would that mean he had a satisfactory season by your measure Frater?

I know its a crazy long shot and I would never call it satisfactory, but that is your measurement.

Toward the end of July, I said that I would be satisfied if Paulie produced an .850 OPS just for August and September (and for the remainder of his contract). And I'm a man of my word.

If Paulie could somehow raise his OPS for the entire 2008 season up to .850, I'd be ecstatic. That would be a tremendous accomplishment to have a terrible first four months but somehow redeem your season - and save your team's season - in the final two months. (Of course, hypothetically if Paulie had a monster April and May, and then tanked from June-September to "regress" to an .850 OPS, that likely would NOT be a successful season).

everafan
09-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Quentin was our MVP for 5 months - Konerko just needs to be our MVP for the next 3 weeks.

soxfanreggie
09-06-2008, 11:21 AM

Isn't that what the offseason is for? :D:

jabrch
09-06-2008, 11:16 PM

I wouldn't dare take that away from you...after you update the Konerk-O-Meter... :D:

Frater Perdurabo
09-06-2008, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't dare take that away from you...after you update the Konerk-O-Meter... :D:

OK OK. Realize it's always going to be at least a day late. It doesn't reflect tonight's 15-inning win; it's only updated through 9/5.

August Konerko-meter: 1.074 OPS
September Konerko-meter: 1.319 OPS

jabrch
09-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Should it be the Konerko-Meter or the Konerk-O-Meter?

BleacherBandit
09-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Should it be the Konerko-Meter or the Konerk-O-Meter?

Like the Sox-O-Gram?

guillensdisciple
09-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Okay if he catches fire and hits like he is capable of hitting.I think there are going to be many scared opposing pitchers in the playoffs against the sox lineup.

Is there a weakness besides Uribe?

Maybe not even him since he is now beginning to hit too.

#1swisher
09-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Update on Paulie...mild sprain of the medial collateral ligament in his right knee.
the Konerko-meter on day-to-day basis :tongue:
Get well soon PK

jabrch
09-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Just to make sure you aren't shirking your obligations Frater...

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 12:51 AM
Konerko sure didn't look like he missed any time tonight. That was a huge RBI double tonight!

Frater Perdurabo
09-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Whaddaya know! ESPN updated Paulie's game tracker through his triumphant comeback last night!

August Konerko-meter: 1.074 OPS
September Konerko-meter: 1.147 OPS

White City
09-17-2008, 09:48 AM
A plurality of WSI poll respondents asked for this performance from Paulie, and he has (nearly) delivered it so far!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103324

As of today, post All-star game, Paulie is .300/.412/.514 vs. the .300/.425/.600 I put in my poll. A few more dongs and walks than he's been averaging post-break and he'll hit those numbers on the nose. And many of the voters in that poll correctly deduced that he and Thome would have to be the key to powering us through to the postseason.

So much for that outlandish Crede scenario: .300, 40 HR, 120 RBIs. You have to play every day for that to happen.

Alexei has continued to make a big impact, but not as a leadoff.

Gavin won't hit 20 wins or sub 3.50 ERA, but he has been huge for us.

DeWayne Wise is contributing, but not quite to that level.

Bobby has helped, but I wouldn't say this Bobby is better than April/May Bobby.

Lundind1
09-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Paulie just needs to have good AB's from here on out. I think that he will keep it around his career average for the second half. This is just what the team needs.

As for the Post-Season.....all bets are off.

jabrch
09-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Frater?

MISoxfan
09-22-2008, 10:45 PM
1.013 for Sept.