PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances this guy is the White Sox Starting 3B in 2009?

PorkChopExpress
08-06-2008, 11:07 AM
:uribe:

Seriously, though, he has shown some brilliant defense while covering for Crede (and Fields). I know it's a small sampling this year, but it seems that no matter where he plays, SS, 2B, 3B, he is above average at that position, and at times shows signs of superiority. For some reason, the Sox are unable to let him go, and with Crede's back obviously still a problem (not to mention the Boras contract negotiations), and Fields not quite the optimum solution, is there a chance Uribe is starting at 3B for us next year?

TomBradley72
08-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Not going to happen. And it shouldn't happen.

He will enhance his value as a utility guy by showing he can play 3B/SS/2B effectively.

doublem23
08-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Honestly, unless Crede is willing to take a major pay cut, right now, he might be the best option.

Oh Juan... Why can't I let you go?

oeo
08-06-2008, 11:12 AM
I certainly hope not.

Honestly, unless Crede is willing to take a major pay cut, right now, he might be the best option.

You still think Crede is going to get a big payday after this year? A marginal offensive season, a bad defensive season, and he still has back issues. No one is going to pay the guy long term.

shavo2k2
08-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Power hitting hasn't really been a problem for the sox in the past several years. Fields has some great upside, but the defense just isn't there. I think the question is: will Uribe save more runs than Fields will drive in? I think right now the answer is yes. I am happier with Juan out there than Fields at this point of the season.

Let's not forget Juan's defense in the '05 playoffs either.

skottyj242
08-06-2008, 11:13 AM
I love John Uribe.

doublem23
08-06-2008, 11:14 AM
You still think Crede is going to get a big payday after this year? A marginal offensive season, a bad defensive season, and he still has back issues. No one is going to pay the guy long term.

There are 29 other GM's out there. Someone's going to be stupid.

bigsoxfan420
08-06-2008, 11:14 AM
"0.0"

oeo
08-06-2008, 11:15 AM
I think the question is: will Uribe save more runs than Fields will drive in? I think right now the answer is yes.

Are you serious? :?:

Uribe is going to save 80+ runs?

jabrch
08-06-2008, 11:15 AM
I'd be opposed to him playing every day - but I'd love to have him back as the primary UI.

UofCSoxFan
08-06-2008, 11:16 AM
I think Uribe is a more than serviceable fill in and a great utility guy.

But you need more production out of a corner infielder offensively. We will either resign Crede or try to bring someone else in. I don't think Fields is the answer, but Uribe is too much of a liability offensively. Hell, his offense was a liability at 2B, a typical "defense first" position.

doublem23
08-06-2008, 11:17 AM

The true question is what will be greater, the number of runs Uribe will drive in and save at third or the number of runs Fields will drive and save at third.

Honestly, I'd prefer the Sox to open 2009 with Uribe at 3rd rather than Fields. Time to give up on another busted #1.

oeo
There are 29 other GM's out there. Someone's going to be stupid.

Just like they were stupid enough to trade for him this year?

I thought it would be stupid to pay him long term even if he was having a good year. Now after surgery, he hasn't shown near his capabilities with the glove, the bat has slowly been heading downhill, and he can't get over the back issues. I bet he re-signs with the Sox, just to try to earn the big payday again.

Hitmen77
I wouldn't mind if the Sox could sign him at a reduced salary and keep him as a utility player. But I would be very pissed if we start the 2009 season with Juan as our starting 3B. He's just too streaky and we can't be relying on him when he goes for long stretching hitting below the Mendoza line.

That being said, I'm not sure how the Sox should address the 3B problem. I doubt Crede will be back. Even if he does return, how long before he goes back on the DL? I don't exactly feel good about Fields being our 3B next year either. Are there any free agent options for this offseason?

oeo
08-06-2008, 11:21 AM
The true question is what will be greater, the number of runs Uribe will drive in and save at third or the number of runs Fields will drive and save at third.

It would probably be around equal. Let's be honest, Uribe is nowhere near perfect at 3B, either.

Honestly, I'd prefer the Sox to open 2009 with Uribe at 3rd rather than Fields. Time to give up on another busted #1.Fields showed a lot of potential last year. He hasn't really been given an opportunity to back that up yet this year...and you're just going to throw him out the door for a utility man?

oeo
08-06-2008, 11:22 AM
I think Uribe is a more than serviceable fill in and a great utility guy.

Exactly, he's better suited for a utility role, and actually swings a better bat when he's not starting everyday.

skottyj242
08-06-2008, 11:29 AM

Uribe is going to have zero RBI's?

peeonwrigley
08-06-2008, 11:30 AM
"0.0"

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2005/12/14/1134594035_4687.jpg

turners56
08-06-2008, 11:32 AM

Seriously, though, he has shown some brilliant defense while covering for Crede (and Fields). I know it's a small sampling this year, but it seems that no matter where he plays, SS, 2B, 3B, he is above average at that position, and at times shows signs of superiority. For some reason, the Sox are unable to let him go, and with Crede's back obviously still a problem (not to mention the Boras contract negotiations), and Fields not quite the optimum solution, is there a chance Uribe is starting at 3B for us next year?

He still can't hit.

nccwsfan
08-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Just like they were stupid enough to trade for him this year?

I thought it would be stupid to pay him long term even if he was having a good year. Now after surgery, he hasn't shown near his capabilities with the glove, the bat has slowly been heading downhill, and he can't get over the back issues. I bet he re-signs with the Sox, just to try to earn the big payday again.

Scott Boras is his agent. When Crede becomes a free agent this offseason he will find a team willing to overpay for his services. I'm a Crede fan, but there is no chance that he re-signs with the White Sox.

I'm with the others on this one- Uribe is a fantastic utility guy, but the White Sox are going to need to find a more reliable option at 3B during the offseason. Fields isn't the answer.

Free Agent > Uribe > Fields

TomBradley72
08-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Uribe is only hitting .214 since the All Star break...can't get carried away by a few days of great defense. He is a very valuable infield "super sub"...we'd be screwed if we had let him go and had to throw Fields out there every night in a tight pennant race.

As far as Fields goes....the lack of range and overall glovework makes him too much of a liability on a pennant contender. He's a slugger...but he strikes out a ton...and he's now 25 years old...unless we're in rebuilding mode...he's not the answer either for 2009.

munchman33
08-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Pirates have a young 3b they'd be willing to part with in the offseason.

There are more options than Joe Crede and death. Uribe isn't in the discussion.

turners56
08-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Pirates have a young 3b they'd be willing to part with in the offseason.

There are more options than Joe Crede and death. Uribe isn't in the discussion.

TBH, I would love a guy like Freddy Sanchez on this team. He can play 2B, SS, and 3B while hitting way better than Uribe. He might be pretty bad this season, but everybody has a bad season, right?

munchman33
08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
TBH, I would love a guy like Freddy Sanchez on this team. He can play 2B, SS, and 3B while hitting way better than Uribe. He might be pretty bad this season, but everybody has a bad season, right?

I was thinking about Neil Walker. He's a converted catcher who plays outstanding defense. He isn't a great hitter, but he can at least handle the bat and make contact. He didn't fall out of favor, the Pirates just traded for Andy LaRoche. Not to mention they drafted Pedro Alvarez.

Guy makes sense as he's an emergency catcher, too.

hawkjt
08-06-2008, 11:49 AM
New nickname for Juan on the Motown Sports board

''Piss-beard''

Nastiness reigns when the sour grapes emerge.
At least he gets under opposing fans skin.
I am glad we have him right now.
I would not object to having him on the team next year in a utlity role.
Hope we can do better for a regular third baseman.
Discount time,Joe.
If Joe comes back with a solid Sept then re-sign him for 5 year,45 million.

Taliesinrk
08-06-2008, 11:52 AM

''Piss-beard''

Discount time,Joe.

5?!?! With his health problems... pass (and I LOVE Joe Crede)

Chez
08-06-2008, 11:55 AM

''Piss-beard''

Good ol' Piss-Beard. I've been a Uribe defender since the beginning of the season, but there's no way he returns next season as anything but a bench player -- and only at a drastically reduced salary. I believe that for better or worse, Fields will be at third next season.

hi im skot
08-06-2008, 11:58 AM

:hawk

"Your what hurts?!"

oeo
08-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Scott Boras is his agent. When Crede becomes a free agent this offseason he will find a team willing to overpay for his services. I'm a Crede fan, but there is no chance that he re-signs with the White Sox.

I don't care who his agent is. No team will pay him big money long-term.

munchman33
08-06-2008, 12:04 PM
I don't care who his agent is. No team will pay him big money long-term.

That's what we though about Maggs.

turners56
08-06-2008, 12:05 PM

Before you know it, Ozzie will be bad mouthing Crede about that time he stole Aaron Rowand's truck and crashed it into the center field wall yelling, "you're not so tough Aaron, I can crash into walls too!" Five days later, Aaron got traded...

xD

jabrch
08-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Honestly, I'd prefer the Sox to open 2009 with Uribe at 3rd rather than Fields. Time to give up on another busted #1.

A bit soon for that...not saying he may not end up there - but he hit well here last season. I'd like to see him healthy for a full season even if in the minors. This year has been tough for him.

soxinem1
08-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Uribe's best season was in 2004 when he played 2B, SS, and 3B.

When he was fighting for his playing time, he produced.

Will he do it is another question.

Should he be the starting 3B? No way. I'd rather bring back Greg Norton.

AnkleSox
08-06-2008, 12:21 PM

Maggs career numbers are WAY better and he was having a solid season before he went down. Plus he didn't have a history of injury.

Crede's numbers are pretty damn awful this year and this back problem has been going on for quite some time. These are two extremely different situations.

Zisk77
08-06-2008, 12:24 PM
One of these guys will be staring at 3b next year:

Joe Crede - prolly gone but maybe not.

Josh Fields

Chone Figgins - but also could be in CF or 2B.

Gordon Bechmam - long shot he's ready by then.

Jurr
08-06-2008, 12:28 PM
I don't know if it's been said, but Uribe's range isn't there for 3B. He let at least 2 balls get by that most third basemen get to. He had some incredible plays, but he isn't going to be a consistent third sacker.

I wouldn't be surprised if Crede's career is over in 3 years. He's already having nerve pain again from his back, and that's typical for disc patients. He will battle that constantly until he hangs up the spikes. Very sad.

Jurr
08-06-2008, 12:30 PM

''Piss-beard''

Discount time,Joe.
5 years and 45 million would be the death of this team's payroll. I can almost guarantee you that Crede won't be physically capable of playing out that contract. It's pure medical fact that back surgery isn't "there" at this time to ensure a guy can stay healthy with previous back trouble and the torque he constantly puts on it.

30DaysintheHole
08-06-2008, 12:46 PM
This latest setback will substantially increase the odds Crede is at 3B for us next year. No one will want to Boras for a back injury, and I think KW is in the best position to know the true value of the best case scenario.

Boras wants money. He will deal. Crede will be back for another year.

PorkChopExpress
08-06-2008, 12:56 PM
This latest setback will substantially increase the odds Crede is at 3B for us next year. No one will want to Boras for a back injury, and I think KW is in the best position to know the true value of the best case scenario.

Do we want Crede back for another year? Yes he was a great defender, but has not shown that this year. His offensive numbers are declining again. Why do we want to take the risk that we sign him for another year, and we get the same thing, an oft injured, sometimes solid defender with homerun power. It seems like we should try and shore up the hot corner with someone reliable. I am not saying that is Uribe (I just started this thread because Uribe has shown he is capable at 3B and the Sox seem to have some fascination with him), but I just don't see why we shouldn't be looking to replace Crede, period.

russ99
08-06-2008, 12:58 PM

If he's out for the rest of the season, maybe. Boras rarely if ever is interested in having a player re-sign in his free agent year. Look at Andruw last year who also had a subpar injury-shortened year and Boras' quoted asking price to the Braves. Especially considering the low price Andruw got by eventually signing with the Dodgers.

I'd say right now it's 15% he's back. If Joe can't come back and play this year, I'd go as high as 30%, but it's still real doubtful.

Oh, and Crede hitting .255 (he was in the .260's most of the year) with 17 homers for a little more than a half-season isn't a "pretty damn awful" by any stretch of the imagination...

RCWHITESOX
08-06-2008, 01:45 PM

Not in a million years! As A Utility player only!

thedudeabides
08-06-2008, 01:48 PM
I kind of feel like I'm crazy after all the Juan praise in this thread, but his defense hasn't been spectaluar at 3b, in fact I think it's been below average.

He has 4 errors in 12 games, and the range he has shown I think has only been because he plays very deep at third. Not to mention coming in on bunts and slow rollers has not gone well. The plays last night did not need to be as spectacular as they looked. He also has cost at least one double play because of a bad throw and is consistantly bringing the 1b off the bag.

Not all of this is his fault, because it is not his natural position, but if he is our starting 3b next year i will :puking:

I can't believe how fast Fields has been written off by some. The guy hasn't even played a full year in the majors. He can improve, and I think he will at third, and with the bat. He has played in 8 games, with 22 at bats this year after having a very good first stint in the big leagues. Definitely, time for him to be cast off as another first round bust. :rolleyes:

kittle42
08-06-2008, 01:58 PM
The typical "guy made a good play or two WSI overreaction" thread.

Uribe's only place on a ML roster is as a reserve and even that's a stretch.

PaleHoser
08-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Juan can carry a team. (sips Kool-Aid)

I think Crede's done. A third baseman with a bad back is never good. I'm dating myself but Bill Melton and John Castino quickly come to mind.

If Josh Fields was the answer he'd be playing now. I think someone will be brought in during the off-season - Casey Blake, Chone Figgins, Chipper Jones...

balke
08-06-2008, 02:21 PM
I like Juan at utility. I think that's a great spot for him utility for a good team. Season starter? Not at 3B.

Tragg
08-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Zero I hope.

Mercy

SoxSpeed22
08-06-2008, 03:11 PM
For some reason, I get this feeling that this guy will be on the Sox next year.
http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2007-w39/img.11768_t.jpg

nccwsfan
08-06-2008, 10:35 PM

Exactly. At the time people thought the Tigers were crazy for signing Magglio to the deal he got, but as it's been said all it takes is one team. My hunch is the CWS part ways with Crede after this year and go the free agent route. I'd love to have him back, but history shows that probably won't happen. :(:

Domeshot17
08-06-2008, 10:41 PM

Is this a joke? Fields had a really good Rookie Year and has had all of what, 25-30 ABs this year? I think when we open 2009 with him at 3rd, and hes healthy, and he isn't looking over his shoulder or infront of him at Joe Crede, and he knows its his, He will be fine. He will replace Joes .250 average and 25 home runs. He won't give you the sparkling play, but he should be fine.

kitekrazy
08-06-2008, 10:51 PM
I think you keep Uribe. Pay him decent like this year and use him as the all infield backup.

Daver
08-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I highly doubt Crede will get an offer that pays him better than what he will make accepting arbitration from the White Sox.

ChiSox65
08-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Not going to happen. And it shouldn't happen.

He will enhance his value as a utility guy by showing he can play 3B/SS/2B effectively.

Showing he can play effectively???? :scratch:............This guy is stellar with the glove, if he could hit he would be an all-star.

cws05champ
08-06-2008, 11:05 PM
He still can't hit.
Sure he can....he hits the buffet table every night.

When he made that play from his rump the other night he looked like a weeble wobbling.

If Crede does not accept arbitration I think theya'll either go with Josh, and possibly bring Uribe back as a utility guy. Or sign a stop gap option for 1-2 years until Beckham is ready.

KW is not stupid enough to go with Uribe as the main option at 3B.....HE LOST HIS STARTING POSITION THIS YEAR!

whitesox901
08-06-2008, 11:27 PM

finally, im getting some love

nasox
08-06-2008, 11:39 PM

finally, im getting some love

...from something other than a cheeseburger.

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2008, 01:54 AM
Is this a joke? Fields had a really good Rookie Year and has had all of what, 25-30 ABs this year? I think when we open 2009 with him at 3rd, and hes healthy, and he isn't looking over his shoulder or infront of him at Joe Crede, and he knows its his, He will be fine. He will replace Joes .250 average and 25 home runs. He won't give you the sparkling play, but he should be fine.Sparkling play? He's a complete butcher at third. When a ball is hit down the line, he's not even in the camera shot when it goes by. You can't learn to have a quick, instinctive first step. He doesn't have it.

When he made that play from his rump the other night he looked like a weeble wobbling.

If Crede does not accept arbitration I think theya'll either go with Josh, and possibly bring Uribe back as a utility guy. Or sign a stop gap option for 1-2 years until Beckham is ready.

KW is not stupid enough to go with Uribe as the main option at 3B.....HE LOST HIS STARTING POSITION THIS YEAR!He ended up on his ass because he's still learning to play third, and how fast the ball is on you. However, how many guys have the arm strength to make that throw while sitting down? Very, very few.

He lost his starting position, whether short or second, because the Sox had better options. Right now, they have no better options at third. Fields can't play the position defensively, strikes out way too often, and hasn't shown any sign that he can hit with power now that major league pitchers have figured him out.

Lillian
08-07-2008, 07:29 AM
I don't know if it's been said, but Uribe's range isn't there for 3B. He let at least 2 balls get by that most third basemen get to. He had some incredible plays, but he isn't going to be a consistent third sacker.

I thought that range was less important at 3B than either at SS or 2B.
3B requires a stronger arm and quicker reaction times, but not range. If Jaun can play outstanding 2B and SS, shouldn't he be able to play 3B?
He certainly has the arm. Although we haven't seen it much, wouldn't he be more than capable of charging the bunt?

white sox bill
08-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Its really a shame Juan is so undisciplined at the plate. Seems half the time he's ready to take a hack at a pick off move to first base. Then when he swings and misses I swear he's a human corkscrew that is attempting to tunnel his way to the Olympic games in China

bigdommer
08-07-2008, 08:35 AM

If Boras is your agent, you will get paid. Maggs was in decline and was having secret experimental surgery overseas to repair a degenerate knee condition and Boras still got him a king's ransom.

daveeym
08-07-2008, 09:24 AM
I'd be opposed to him playing every day - but I'd love to have him back as the primary UI.This and only this. The only way he becomes a starter is due to injury.

He can't hit, he was lazy the last year and half and pouty at the start of this year. It's nice that he finally accepted his role and is great as a utility infielder but he should not be an everday starter for the Sox if possible.

palehozenychicty
08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
God, I hope not. :o:

white sox bill
08-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Now I can see Juan being a "supersub" along the likes of Graff,Pablo or Gload. I'm afraid his weak bat would wear thin in a hurry should he start every day

balke
08-07-2008, 09:55 AM
IMO the haters have been wrong all season about Juan. This situation right here is the exact reason he is/was worth keeping on the team. The analysts who said the Sox have no depth, are being proven wrong by the flexibility of this team. Juan is a good starting 2Bman, and a fantastic utility player. People thought Cintron was good, but he wasn't. The Sox now have three guys capable of playing SS defensively in the IF, and that is awesome.

On the same note, people who think he's good enough to start at 3B are wrong. He's saving the Sox butts right now by being on this team and playing 3B but, if you start the season with Juan Uribe at 3B, your team is not a contender. You could only really start him at 3B if you have every other position filled with above average offensive players. His defense is great there, and I think his offense tends to show up when the Sox need it most. The Sox are lucky he's still here with Crede down, and Fields failing to progress as a solid 3B option.

kittle42
08-07-2008, 11:57 AM
IMO the haters have been wrong all season about Juan. This situation right here is the exact reason he is/was worth keeping on the team. The analysts who said the Sox have no depth, are being proven wrong by the flexibility of this team. Juan is a good starting 2Bman, and a fantastic utility player. People thought Cintron was good, but he wasn't. The Sox now have three guys capable of playing SS defensively in the IF, and that is awesome.

On the same note, people who think he's good enough to start at 3B are wrong. He's saving the Sox butts right now by being on this team and playing 3B but, if you start the season with Juan Uribe at 3B, your team is not a contender. You could only really start him at 3B if you have every other position filled with above average offensive players. His defense is great there, and I think his offense tends to show up when the Sox need it most. The Sox are lucky he's still here with Crede down, and Fields failing to progress as a solid 3B option.

Well stated.

shes
08-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Juan Uribe is a horrible offensive player. Simply horrible. There's no other way to put it. My eyes see it. The stats certainly bear it out. He's made a couple nice plays at third, but he certainly hasn't been a Gold Glover over there by any stretch.

Kenny Williams is not stupid enough to allow Uribe to start at third next year.

PennStater98r
08-07-2008, 12:24 PM

I think if you add in what little production Uribe does give you - 60 RBI range - he could save 20 runs... relative to Fields.

officerron
08-07-2008, 12:49 PM

How will him starting at 3B be any different than him starting at SS the past 2 years when we wanted him shipped out of town?

Either he accepts a team-friendly deal as a super-sub, or he gone.

Bucky F. Dent
08-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Uribe has proven his value as a super-sub, and should be held onto for that purpose, but with his stick, he is not a starter on a contending team IMO.

Chicken Dinner
08-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Juan Uribe is a horrible offensive player. Simply horrible. There's no other way to put it. My eyes see it. The stats certainly bear it out. He's made a couple nice plays at third, but he certainly hasn't been a Gold Glover over there by any stretch.

Kenny Williams is not stupid enough to allow Uribe to start at third next year.

Better batting average than Konerko!

KyWhiSoxFan
08-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Uribe would be good to keep around, at a reduced price, for next year as a utility infielder, especially if TCM is moved to SS. Uribe would be a good mentor for Alexei and could spell 2B and 3B, plus SS.

That said, they would have to pay $3.6-million minimum for him to be a backup.

I'm sure that decision will largely be based on what happens at 3B. I seriously doubt Crede is back next year, and if the Sox have to spend a lot for a 3B on the free agent market or via trade, they may not be able to pay Uribe $4-million to be a utility infielder.

ChiSoxFan7
08-07-2008, 01:33 PM
tho juan has been on a tear defensively the past couple of games....

please don't forget that his swing, more often than not, looks like a wound rubberband being released

and

he makes some real bad throwing errors at times...

If he continues to play this well defensively and pick his avg to 260ish....then we can talk....

but just cuz your hot now doesn't mean you wil stay hot for the rest of this week let alone season...

just some food for thought.

08-07-2008, 02:01 PM
here is the 3B free agent list

Casey Blake (35)
Hank Blalock (28) - $6.2MM club option for '09 with a $0.25MM buyout
Joe Crede (31)
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Wes Helms (33) - $3.75MM club option for '09
Chipper Jones (37) - $8-11MM vesting option for '09
Dallas McPherson (27)

if things don't work out with joe then id rather see us sign one of Blake, Blalock, Nomar rather than trotting juan out there every day

gogosox16
08-07-2008, 03:09 PM

Casey Blake (35)
Joe Crede (31)
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Dallas McPherson (27)

if things don't work out with joe then id rather see us sign one of Blake, Blalock, Nomar rather than trotting juan out there every day
The Sox will give Fields every opportunity to be the 3rd basemen if Crede doesn't return. I would like to sign someone though for backup purposes. A Casey Blake would be a nice fit in which he can play 3rd, 1st, and the outfield. Another utility guy if Fields preforms.

whitesox901
08-07-2008, 04:16 PM
The Sox will give Fields every opportunity to be the 3rd basemen if Crede doesn't return. I would like to sign someone though for backup purposes. A Casey Blake would be a nice fit in which he can play 3rd, 1st, and the outfield. Another utility guy if Fields preforms.

ditto

Is this a joke? Fields had a really good Rookie Year and has had all of what, 25-30 ABs this year? I think when we open 2009 with him at 3rd, and hes healthy, and he isn't looking over his shoulder or infront of him at Joe Crede, and he knows its his, He will be fine. He will replace Joes .250 average and 25 home runs. He won't give you the sparkling play, but he should be fine.

I agree to this too, sure he's not going to be as good as a healthy Crede at third, but he's not as bad as some people make him out to be, his hands arnt made of bricks after all.....

whitesox901
08-07-2008, 04:23 PM

I can agree to this, its not going to be the glove of Crede, but I dont really think he's all that bad, not as bad as people on here like to make, his hands arnt made of bricks after all.....

wsgdf
08-07-2008, 07:05 PM
ditto
I agree to this too, sure he's not going to be as good as a healthy Crede at third, but he's not as bad as some people make him out to be, his hands arnt made of bricks after all.....

I think the problem is the ball doesn't generally GET to his hands. It's usually bouncing off some part of his body or just missing him entirely.

:?:

munchman33
08-07-2008, 07:10 PM

Casey Blake (35)
Joe Crede (31)
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Dallas McPherson (27)

Blalock is an obvious get if the Rangers don't pick up his option. He'd be right in our price range, a decent stick, and pretty good defensively.

Frater Perdurabo
08-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Blalock is an obvious get if the Rangers don't pick up his option. He'd be right in our price range, a decent stick, and pretty good defensively.

Word out of Texas is that Blalock is simply too injury-prone to play third base regularly. His option likely will be declined because the Rangers are unsure about his long-term health.

Nellie_Fox
08-08-2008, 02:03 AM
Word out of Texas is that Blalock is simply too injury-prone to play third base regularly.This covers Garciapara as well.

russ99
08-10-2008, 12:42 AM

Casey Blake (35)
Joe Crede (31)
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Dallas McPherson (27)

Thanks for making my case. That's an awful 3B FA crop, with the Braves keeping Chipper. Now I'm certain Joe will get a big money deal from someone.

Corlose 15
08-10-2008, 01:09 AM

Casey Blake (35)
Joe Crede (31)
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Dallas McPherson (27)

Figgins is a FA as well. I see the Sox getting him, he seems like one of those guys that KW's been interested in for awhile. He usually ends up getting them.

Personally I think that KW goes after Figgins for 3B and leadoff, slides Ramirez over to SS, and goes after Orlando Hudson for 2B.

alohafri
08-10-2008, 10:32 AM
I certainly hope not.

:borass:

"You will pay what I tell you to pay and you will like it."

OmarLittle
08-10-2008, 02:56 PM
This Year: .234/.291/.394
Career: .253/.295/.423

No thanks.