PDA

View Full Version : Batboy

swish
08-06-2008, 01:56 AM
So how did this kid get the job? He looks like 20 and i have seen him at the cell for a few years now. Anyone know him or how he got the position?

chisoxfan4life
08-06-2008, 02:43 AM
So how did this kid get the job? He looks like 20 and i have seen him at the cell for a few years now. Anyone know him or how he got the position?
When I saw this thread I thought it was going to be about the fat bat boy that the Tigers have. The poor kid had to run to the bullpen and back at least 5 times tonight and we all cheered/jeered him each time he trucked on by.

But no I do not know how one can be hooked up with that sweet gig, it was something I always wished for as a child.

Nellie_Fox
08-06-2008, 02:58 AM
When I saw this thread I thought it was going to be about the fat bat boy that the Tigers have. The poor kid had to run to the bullpen and back at least 5 times tonight and we all cheered/jeered him each time he trucked on by.

But no I do not know how one can be hooked up with that sweet gig, it was something I always wished for as a child.I think it's strictly a "who you know" thing these days.

When I was a kid, one of the Chicago papers (either the Sun Times or the Daily News) used to have an essay contest to win a White Sox batboy job. I always entered, without giving a moment's thought to how I would get to the ball park from LaGrange on a daily basis if I won. Getting someone to take me to a few games a year was tough enough (I was about 10-12 years old at the time.)

HangWiffum
08-06-2008, 03:38 AM
Bring Back Hidalgo!

BainesHOF
08-06-2008, 03:49 AM

I thought the same thing.

DMarte708
08-06-2008, 05:26 AM
If you're talking about the batboy with "Strubin" on his back I believe he has had the position for several years because of his father. My friend's sister knows him. So yes, inside connections.

UofCSoxFan
08-06-2008, 10:22 AM
I know back when I was in high school (about 6 years ago), the batboys were students at De La Salle High School, but they couldn't be members of the baseball team because there were too many conflicts in the spring. I know this from playing college ball with some guys that went to De La Salle.

Don't know if this is still the case.

SquirrelNutz
08-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Strubin has been the batboy for several years ... graduated from Marist a year or two ago ... I believe he attends North Central College now.

swish
08-06-2008, 11:46 AM

But no I do not know how one can be hooked up with that sweet gig, it was something I always wished for as a child.

haha ya I saw him too. They showed him running on the jumbotron...i felt bad for him.

But how the hell does strubin have time to be a batboy and a student. You would have conflicts in the spring and October!!!

What do they do on the road for a batboy?

seventyseven
08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
What do they do on the road for a batboy?

Batrobot. Looks and feels like a real boy, but folds up nicely in a carry-on.

Dan the Man
08-06-2008, 12:43 PM
White Sox batboy where are they now? How about Bafia?

salty99
08-06-2008, 12:47 PM

I think Bafia is in college, but I did see him batboying at a game the last homestand.

tebman
08-06-2008, 12:50 PM

:lol: That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Everybody's favorite poster, bafiarocks03, got deeply involved with the White Sox because of her admiration for young Mr. Bafia when he was batboy a few years ago.

Where, indeed, are they now?