PDA

View Full Version : ESPN BBTN Three Greatest White Sox Players Of All Time.

Thome25
08-05-2008, 09:56 PM
BBTN is doing the 3 greatest players of all time for a different team every night. tonight was the White Sox. They did the fans picks and a pick by their panel.

The panel's picks were as follows:

1.) Frank Thomas
2.) Luke Appling
3.) Nellie Fox

The fans picks were:

1.) Frank Thomas
2.) Nellie Fox
3.) Carlton Fisk

MY Picks would've been:

1.) Frank Thomas
2.) Luke Appling
3.) Carlton Fisk

Who is in YOUR top 3? Also, where does Shoeless Joe Jackson belong on this list? Frank Thomas and "Ol' Aches And Pains" are absolute locks for 1 and 2 this list. Thanks to anyone who posts.

doublem23
08-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Big Hurt
Shoeless Joe
Nellie Fox

KnightSox
08-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Fox
Pierce
Thomas

fquaye149
08-05-2008, 10:20 PM
#1. Frank

#2. Eddie Collins
#3. Burly.

nccwsfan
08-05-2008, 10:23 PM
1) Frank Thomas
2) Nellie Fox
3) Luke Appling

Shoeless_Jeff
08-05-2008, 10:26 PM
1. Joe Borchard
2. Juan Uribe
3. Sammy Sosa

Vernam
08-05-2008, 10:26 PM
1. Frank Thomas
2. Ted Lyons
3. Nellie Fox

Vernam

Frater Perdurabo
08-05-2008, 10:29 PM
1. Frank
2. Jackson
3. Appling

sullythered
08-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Hurt
Shoeless Joe
Pudge

Domeshot17
08-05-2008, 10:52 PM
I know he didn't get as much time here as he could have (for a few reasons) but you have to put Minnie in this talk, so Im going too.

Thome25
08-05-2008, 10:56 PM
I know he didn't get as much time here as he could have (for a few reasons) but you have to put Minnie in this talk, so Im going too.

He definitely deserves to be in the conversation. Isn't he he only player to have played in 5 different decades?

Daver
08-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Frank Thomas
Minnie Minoso
Jacob Nelson Fox
Billy Pierce
Wilbur Wood
Luis Apparicio

Bobby Thigpen
08-05-2008, 11:39 PM
1a. Frank Thomas
1b. Joe Jackson
3. Luke Appling

How can you not include Jackson?

the1tab
08-06-2008, 12:04 AM
1. Joe Jackson
2. Luis Aparicio
3. Carlton Fisk
4. Frank Thomas
5. Nellie Fox
6. Hoyt Wilhelm
7. Harold Baines
8. Jack McDowell
9. Ozzie Guillen
10. THE Carlos Quentin

kitekrazy
08-06-2008, 12:22 AM
1. Joe Borchard
2. Juan Uribe
3. Sammy Sosa

1. Kevin Bell
2. Wayne Nordhagen
3. Lamar Johnson

soxfanreggie
08-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Frank
Shoeless
Appling

SoxFan64
08-06-2008, 01:44 AM
My concern with ESPN and others like them is they completely ignore anything prior to their existence. So to show that I can look back prior to my existence how about:

1) Ted Lyons -- 260 White Sox victories over 21 years on horrible teams;
2) Red Faber -- 254 White Sox victories over 20 years on both good teams and horrible ones;
3) Luke Appling -- Also played on all of those crummy teams in the 30s for the Sox. All time leader in games played and hits. A favorite of mine as I got to see him hit a HR at the Old Timers Game in 1982 at RFK. Not too shabby for a 75 yr old.

Old Timers Honorable Mention
Eddie Collins;
Ray Schalk;
Ed Walsh;

And to completely hijack this thread it is these great players that should have statutes in the concourse as opposed to very good ones that seem to be getting honored recently.

Nellie_Fox
08-06-2008, 01:55 AM
...to completely hijack this thread it is these great players that should have statutes in the concourse as opposed to very good ones that seem to be getting honored recently.I think they will eventually, however it makes some sense to honor those who are still alive to see it. There's no rush for the others.

fquaye149
08-06-2008, 02:02 AM
My concern with ESPN and others like them is they completely ignore anything prior to their existence. So to show that I can look back prior to my existence how about:

1) Ted Lyons -- 260 White Sox victories over 21 years on horrible teams;
2) Red Faber -- 254 White Sox victories over 20 years on both good teams and horrible ones;
3) Luke Appling -- Also played on all of those crummy teams in the 30s for the Sox. All time leader in games played and hits. A favorite of mine as I got to see him hit a HR at the Old Timers Game in 1982 at RFK. Not too shabby for a 75 yr old.

Old Timers Honorable Mention
Eddie Collins;
Ray Schalk;
Ed Walsh;

And to completely hijack this thread it is these great players that should have statutes in the concourse as opposed to very good ones that seem to be getting honored recently.

Ah, I see--ESPN is overly obsessed with the present at the expense of the distant past, so you'll counter it by being overly obsessed with the distant past at the expense of the present.

Makes sense.

Frank Thomas was a better baseball player in his down years than any player on that list.

TommyJohn
08-06-2008, 02:08 AM
Ah, I see--ESPN is overly obsessed with the present at the expense of the distant past, so you'll counter it by being overly obsessed with the distant past at the expense of the present.

Makes sense.

Frank Thomas was a better baseball player in his down years than any player on that list.

Bull****. I see him merely making a case for players who are overlooked or forgotten because they are old-timers.

As for the list, I agree on Thomas and Appling, but Fox is a little trickier, because there are old-timers like Eddie Collins to consider, along with guys like Minoso.

officerron
08-06-2008, 02:15 AM
1) Thomas
2) Appling
3) Ed Walsh

I'm sorry, but I looked at Ed Walsh's stats, and they are absolutely mind boggling. I've obviously never seen him play, but he had a career ERA with us around 1.80, including a 40 WIN SEASON!!!! :o:

Kittle'sNeighbor
08-06-2008, 02:50 AM
1. Appling
2. Thomas
3. Fox

4. Jackson
5. Collins
6. Aparicio

Before its said and done:

M. Ordonez & C. Lee

Most important White Sox player of all time? Goose.

Most important White Sox person of all time? Bill Veeck. In fact you could argue that he is the most important single person in the history of baseball because without him.....there would be no ivy in Wrigley.

BainesHOF
08-06-2008, 03:19 AM
Thomas, Aparicio and Jackson.

If you think Jackson should be banned from this list, then add Baines.

Thomas is the franchise's best hitter by far. You can make an argument for Aparicio being one of the best all-around shortstops in baseball history. Jackson was a superstar in his day before the 1919 scandal.

Baines' career stats blow away many others mentioned in this thread, though I guess you can say not all of them were achieved while wearing a Sox uniform. On top of that, was there a better clutch hitter in franchise history (Dick Allen in his superstar year of 1972 notwithstanding)?

Ziggy S
08-06-2008, 03:33 AM
1) Thomas
2) Appling
3) Ed Walsh

I'm sorry, but I looked at Ed Walsh's stats, and they are absolutely mind boggling. I've obviously never seen him play, but he had a career ERA with us around 1.80, including a 40 WIN SEASON!!!! :o:

That was a completely different era, buddy. Ever heard of pitchers doctoring the ball with spit and only one baseball being used for an entire game?

LITTLE NELL
08-06-2008, 05:02 AM
There should be 2 catagories.
Batters:
Thomas
Appling
Fox

Pitchers:
Lyons
Faber
Pierce, Walsh(tie)

CleeFan101
08-06-2008, 05:46 AM
Anyone have some video from baseball tonight featuring the top3 whitesox ever?

kraut83
08-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Best of all time: Frank, Nellie, Aparicio.

Best in my lifetime: Frank, Fisk, Harold

fquaye149
08-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Bull****. I see him merely making a case for players who are overlooked or forgotten because they are old-timers.

As for the list, I agree on Thomas and Appling, but Fox is a little trickier, because there are old-timers like Eddie Collins to consider, along with guys like Minoso.

Eddie Collins is lacking on a lot of people's lists here, which I think is too bad.

Eddie Collins was an incredible ball player.

fquaye149
08-06-2008, 08:06 AM
1. Appling
2. Thomas
3. Fox

4. Jackson
5. Collins
6. Aparicio

Before its said and done:

M. Ordonez & C. Lee

Most important White Sox player of all time? Goose.

Most important White Sox person of all time? Bill Veeck. In fact you could argue that he is the most important single person in the history of baseball because without him.....there would be no ivy in Wrigley.

As much as I hate the guy, Konerko's been a much better "White Sox" player than Maggs or C Lee

asindc
08-06-2008, 08:09 AM
1. Frank Thomas
2. Joe Jackson
3. Nellie Fox

Honorable Mention: Harold Baines, Luis Aparicio, Ed Walsh, Luke Appling, Eddie Collins, Billy Pierce, Carlton Fisk.

Steelrod
08-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Aparicio
Fox
Thomas

palehozenychicty
08-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Frank Thomas
Joe Jackson
Luis Aparicio

hawkjt
08-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Swish
TCQ
JD.

Actually

Frank
Appling
Jackson.

Dan Mega
08-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Thomas, Fisk, and Jackson.

fquaye149
08-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Thomas, Fisk, and Jackson.

Former White Sox reliever Mike Jackson?

He sucked, dude.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-06-2008, 09:02 AM
1. Frank Thomas
2. Luis Aparicio
3. Nellie Fox

PennStater98r
08-06-2008, 09:09 AM
1) Thomas
2) Appling
3) Ed Walsh

Walsh makes my list - I could not believe he had not made anyone else's.

1. Thomas
2. Walsh
3. Collins (I love Fox, but 3000 hits is 3000 hits)

Viva Medias B's
08-06-2008, 09:10 AM
1. Royce Clayton
2. Jaime Navarro
3. Jose Paniagua

Really,

1. Frank Thomas
2. Nellie Fox
3. Luke Appling

turners56
08-06-2008, 09:19 AM
1. Frank Thomas
2. Nellie Fox
3. Eddie Collins

downstairs
08-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Tom Sever
Steve Carlton
Jose Canseco

turners56
08-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Tom Sever
Steve Carlton
Jose Canseco

You know, I did remember Canseco hitting a 550 foot shot out of Miller Park once...

I wasn't 100% sure that he was on roids back then, but I had a clue.

TomBradley72
08-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Frank Thomas
Luke Appling
Ted Lyons

Noneck
08-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Thomas
Fox
Aparicio

vegyrex
08-06-2008, 10:40 AM
1. Big Hurt
2. Joe Jackson
3. Ed Walsh

Carolina Kenny
08-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Frank Thomas
Eddie Collins
Minnie Minoso
Luke Appling
Louis Aparicio
Nellie Fox
Hoyt Wilhelm

eriqjaffe
08-06-2008, 12:00 PM
1) Aaron Rowand
2) Aaron Rowand
3) Aaron Rowand

turners56
08-06-2008, 12:20 PM
1) Aaron Rowand
2) Aaron Rowand
3) Aaron Rowand

Do ghosts count too? If so...

1. Ghost of Aaron Rowand
2. Ghost of Aaron Rowand
3. Ghost of Aaron Rowand

He keeps up that fighting spirit man!

ode to veeck
08-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Frank Thomas
Eddie Collins
Minnie Minoso
Luke Appling
Louis Aparicio
Nellie Fox
Hoyt Wilhelm

pretty good list, can't believe most folks don't even consider Collins

eriqjaffe
08-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Also, if it's BBTN's Three Greatest White Sox, it should be blindingly obvious:

1) Chris Singleton
2) John Kruk
3) Rob Dibble

RCWHITESOX
08-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Luke Appling Nellie Fox Luis Aparicio Harold Baines Frank Thomas Ted Lyons Billy Pierce

soxinem1
08-06-2008, 12:52 PM
BBTN is doing the 3 greatest players of all time for a different team every night. tonight was the White Sox. They did the fans picks and a pick by their panel.

1.) Frank Thomas
2.) Luke Appling
3.) Nellie Fox

The fans picks were:

1.) Frank Thomas
2.) Nellie Fox
3.) Carlton Fisk

MY Picks would've been:

1.) Frank Thomas
2.) Luke Appling
3.) Carlton Fisk

Who is in YOUR top 3? Also, where does Shoeless Joe Jackson belong on this list? Frank Thomas and "Ol' Aches And Pains" are absolute locks for 1 and 2 this list. Thanks to anyone who posts.

Good list, but no pitchers?

fquaye149
08-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Good list, but no pitchers?

We dont' really have any pitchers who had long, great careers with the White Sox.

At least, not to the same extent as the hitters we have.

I mean...we have some pitchers who had some excellent Cy Young seasons like Lamarr Hoyt and Blackjack, but they didn't keep pitching excellently very long.

We have some HOF pitchers like Goose Gossage, Early Wynn, Hoyt Wilhelm Tommy John and Tom Seaver, but they had relatively short stays on the south side.

We have HOF-caliber pitchers like Billy Pierce, and Big Ed Walsh, but they are right around the borderline of "Hall of Famer"--Pierce on the wrong side of the line, Walsh on the right side of the line.

That certainly can't compare to Thomas, Collins, Appling, and Fisk--all no-doubt HOFers who played at least half their long careers here (and in Thomas and Applings case, all of their relevant careers)

LITTLE NELL
08-06-2008, 01:59 PM
We dont' really have any pitchers who had long, great careers with the White Sox.

At least, not to the same extent as the hitters we have.

I mean...we have some pitchers who had some excellent Cy Young seasons like Lamarr Hoyt and Blackjack, but they didn't keep pitching excellently very long.

We have some HOF pitchers like Goose Gossage, Early Wynn, Hoyt Wilhelm Tommy John and Tom Seaver, but they had relatively short stays on the south side.

We have HOF-caliber pitchers like Billy Pierce, and Big Ed Walsh, but they are right around the borderline of "Hall of Famer"--Pierce on the wrong side of the line, Walsh on the right side of the line.

That certainly can't compare to Thomas, Collins, Appling, and Fisk--all no-doubt HOFers who played at least half their long careers here (and in Thomas and Applings case, all of their relevant careers)
I guess you never heard of Ted Lyons and Red Faber, both are in the HOF.

fquaye149
08-06-2008, 02:21 PM
I guess you never heard of Ted Lyons and Red Faber, both are in the HOF.

:rolleyes:

I don't remember in my post where I said I was naming every pitcher who ever pitched for the Sox.

Ted Lyons and Red Faber and Ed Walsh and Billy Pierce are all great pitchers who pitched their whole career with the Sox, but in terms of hall of famers none of them are the no-doubt HOFers that Thomas, Appling, Collins, and Fisk were.

Compare Ted Lyons to Nellie Fox if you like, but don't be ridiculous. Ted Lyons and Red Faber are even more questionable as HOF pitchers than Billy Pierce is--and Pierce isn't in the HOF!

TommyJohn
08-06-2008, 02:47 PM

I don't remember in my post where I said I was naming every pitcher who ever pitched for the Sox.

Ted Lyons and Red Faber and Ed Walsh and Billy Pierce are all great pitchers who pitched their whole career with the Sox, but in terms of hall of famers none of them are the no-doubt HOFers that Thomas, Appling, Collins, and Fisk were.

Compare Ted Lyons to Nellie Fox if you like, but don't be ridiculous. Ted Lyons and Red Faber are even more questionable as HOF pitchers than Billy Pierce is--and Pierce isn't in the HOF!

I don't see how Lyons and Faber are questionable. Both won over 250 games, they were stuck most of their careers with poor Sox teams. Lyons went 260-230. He may have won more with better teams behind him, a factor that I am sure Hall voters took into consideration.

PorkChopExpress
08-06-2008, 03:00 PM

1.) Frank Thomas
2.) Luke Appling
3.) Nellie Fox

The fans picks were:

1.) Frank Thomas
2.) Nellie Fox
3.) Carlton Fisk

So between the ESPN panel and the fans, Frank Thomas was the greatest White Sox player of all time, a team that has been around for over 100 years and has many HOF players in its history, and yet I have seen debates on ESPN as to whether he is a first ballot HOF.

LITTLE NELL
08-06-2008, 03:02 PM

Billy Pierce did not pitch his whole career with the Sox, we got him from the Tigers and traded him to the Giants after the 61 season. Only 39 pitchers in the long history of the game have more wins than Lyons and Faber, both are true HOFers.

turners56
08-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Also, if it's BBTN's Three Greatest White Sox, it should be blindingly obvious:

1) Chris Singleton
2) John Kruk
3) Rob Dibble

Kruk played for the Sox before?

SoxFan64
08-06-2008, 03:33 PM

Makes sense.

Boy you missed the point completely. It is only to point out that there are more Sox players than those that played during our lifetime. As for Frank sure he is on my list of top Sox.

But remember of the three I mentioned two of them (Lyons and Appling) played on some the worst teams in our history. Imagine what they would have done if they played on the teams that Frank played on. That is the reason it is hard to compare across eras. Case in point, Ed Walsh has the all time lowest ERA. That record will probably never be broken because the game has changed to a more offensive one.

So again my point is not ignore the present. However the subject is the ENTIRE history of the White Sox and how many of us know all parts of our history. (I don't.) Hopefully that point is clear enough for you.

fquaye149
08-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Billy Pierce did not pitch his whole career with the Sox, we got him from the Tigers and traded him to the Giants after the 61 season. Only 39 pitchers in the long history of the game have more wins than Lyons and Faber, both are true HOFers.

And both have winning pct's in the low .500's and average ERA's.

But yeah....ok...in the one category they excel at they're in the top 40.

Wow.

I'm not saying they're not HOFer's, just that they're not exactly no-doubters, as you seem to think, merely because "dey pitched a weel long time ago"

fquaye149
08-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't see how Lyons and Faber are questionable. Both won over 250 games, they were stuck most of their careers with poor Sox teams. Lyons went 260-230. He may have won more with better teams behind him, a factor that I am sure Hall voters took into consideration.

they're fine. They're just real borderline

Lyons: 3.67 career ERA vs. a league ERA of 4.32. Ho hum.

Red Faber's better, at 3.15 vs. a league average of 3.75 and a .544 winning percentage.

Both men walked nearly as many people as they struck out.

So the whole "bad teams behind them" thing doesn't hold much water. It's not like they were Steve Carlton with the Phillies, putting up great numbers for a lousy team. They were putting up solid numbers for lousy teams, and they pitched a long time.

Hall of famers? Sure. Comparable to Frank Thomas, Eddie Collins, and Luke Appling?

Are you ****ing kidding me?

LITTLE NELL
08-06-2008, 04:26 PM
And both have winning pct's in the low .500's and average ERA's.

But yeah....ok...in the one category they excel at they're in the top 40.

Wow.

I'm not saying they're not HOFer's, just that they're not exactly no-doubters, as you seem to think, merely because "dey pitched a weel long time ago"
Joe McCarthy the great Yankee manager said of Lyons " If Lyons had been with the Yankees he would have won 400 games''.
Also Lyons and Faber have more wins than HOFers Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale,Catfish Hunter, Whitey Ford and Juan Marichal just to name a few.

shes
08-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Whoa momma is Nellie Fox overrated!

Good ballplayer, but he's simply not top 3. A guy like Eddie Collins absolutely dwarfs Fox. Joe Jackson, for his short time here, had a more significant impact as well. I'd take Appling, Konerko, Ciccotte, Baines and perhaps a few others ahead of him as well.

LITTLE NELL
08-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Whoa momma is Nellie Fox overrated!

Good ballplayer, but he's simply not top 3. A guy like Eddie Collins absolutely dwarfs Fox. Joe Jackson, for his short time here, had a more significant impact as well. I'd take Appling, Konerko, Ciccotte, Baines and perhaps a few others ahead of him as well.
Nellie Fox played in 13 All-Star games, he was the best 2nd baseman of his time.
Im seeing a trend among some of you who are in their 20s that think that White Sox history started in 1990.

SoxFan64
08-06-2008, 05:00 PM
they're fine. They're just real borderline

Lyons: 3.67 career ERA vs. a league ERA of 4.32. Ho hum.

Red Faber's better, at 3.15 vs. a league average of 3.75 and a .544 winning percentage.

Both men walked nearly as many people as they struck out.

So the whole "bad teams behind them" thing doesn't hold much water. It's not like they were Steve Carlton with the Phillies, putting up great numbers for a lousy team. They were putting up solid numbers for lousy teams, and they pitched a long time.

Hall of famers? Sure. Comparable to Frank Thomas, Eddie Collins, and Luke Appling?

Are you ****ing kidding me?

Couple of points -- Carlton was not always on lousy teams. The Phils of the late 70's and early 80's were very good. Carlton got a ring with the Phils in 1980. Compare with Lyons who spent 19 seasons (24-42) and his teams never finished higher than 3rd. And his teams only finished above .500 six times.

Not sure where you get the league ERA as 4.32 but let's use it. The difference between 4.32 and 3.67 is .64 which is huge (18% better than the league). And if you are doing it with a sub-par team behind you then that number is even better. Do not know the level of defensive fielders behind him but one of them Zeke Bonura was one a poor fielder even though his PCT was good. Now Zeke was there for only a few years but if you don't know much about the team they had behind him and compare his numbers to only the league average and you don't try to understand the era they played in then you are doing a disservice to the discussion.

I am encouraged that you moved from your position that Lyons and Faber were marginal HOFs to being solid HOFs. So there is hope for you yet. :D:

What else can you tell us about the Sox of the 20's and 30's? And how they stack up to the league in that era?

shes
08-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Nellie Fox played in 13 All-Star games, he was the best 2nd baseman of his time.
Im seeing a trend among some of you who are in their 20s that think that White Sox history started in 1990.

Yup, that's why none of the other players I mentioned (save for Konerko) began their careers in the 90s!

I'm not saying Nellie Fox wasn't a great player - he was - but his body of work just can't stand up against the other guys I mentioned.

LITTLE NELL
08-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Yup, that's why none of the other players I mentioned (save for Konerko) began their careers in the 90s!

I'm not saying Nellie Fox wasn't a great player - he was - but his body of work just can't stand up against the other guys I mentioned.
If you are looking at HRs and RBIs Nellie does not stack up to your guys but Nellie choked up 4 inches on the bat and led the league in singles just about every year. He also won the gold glove a few times. If you needed a hit to win the game Nellie was your man.
I cant think of one guy in MLB right now that chokes up at all. Sinced they juiced up the ball every one swings for the fences. Hard to compare eras but the 50s and 60s is still the golden age of baseball.

Daver
08-06-2008, 05:22 PM
If you are looking at HRs and RBIs Nellie does not stack up to your guys but Nellie choked up 4 inches on the bat and led the league in singles just about every year. He also won the gold glove a few times. If you needed a hit to win the game Nellie was your man.
I cant think of one guy in MLB right now that chokes up at all. Sinced they juiced up the ball every one swings for the fences. Hard to compare eras but the 50s and 60s is still the golden age of baseball.

He never struck out either.

turners56
08-06-2008, 05:24 PM

Placido Polanco?

LITTLE NELL
08-06-2008, 05:25 PM
He never struck out either.
Excellent, I dont know how I forgot. Thanks Daver.

WSox597
08-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Luis Aparicio
Nellie Fox
Wilbur Wood

SoxFan64
08-06-2008, 05:58 PM

I think he referred to Eddie Collins who retired just a few years prior to the 1990 season as being better than Fox. :redneck

As for the comparison of Fox to Collins it is tough. Both were among the best at the same position 30 years apart.

Medford Bobby
08-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Todd Ritchie