PDA

View Full Version : Was there a Gio sighting in Chicago today?

TDog
08-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Gio Gonzalez was indeed hanging around at O'Hare Tuesday, but he was on his way to make his major league debut as a starter for the Oakland A's Wednesday night against the Blue Jays.

I don't have a link, but according to the A's broadcast from Toronto, Gonzalez was recalled, but disover ed that he had left his passport at his home in Florida. He scheduled a stopover in Chicago and a friend flew up from Florida to meet him with his passport.

Gonzalez will miss the Tigers this weekend. Saturday's starter for Oakland is undecided. There is speculation that Gallagher may be hurt.

It is possible that Gonzalez might pitch against the Six in Oakland. Frank Thomas is back in the lineup for the A's, of course, and should play against the Sox in Oakland.

champagne030
08-05-2008, 07:45 PM
There is speculation that Gallagher may be hurt.

BB didn't do his homework on that trade. He received a couple of soiled jocks and a bottom of the rotation pitcher, who is now hurt. Hopefully, for the SG's sake it's not real serious.

Gio's got talent, but like almost each minor league guy we bring up he's going to get rocked because he doesn't throw enough strikes at this point.

sox1970
08-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Starting tonight in Toronto.

WhiteSoxFan84
08-06-2008, 12:46 PM
kinda funny how Gio starts a night after the guy he was traded for hit a HUGE, 14th inning, walkoff HR. i wish him the best. just as long as he's at his worst against us :)

TDog
08-06-2008, 01:20 PM
kinda funny how Gio starts a night after the guy he was traded for hit a HUGE, 14th inning, walkoff HR. i wish him the best. just as long as he's at his worst against us :)

If Nick Swisher's home run came after midnight Chicago time, Gonzalez would be making his major league debut on the same day. His mother is flying up to Toronto to be at the game. The A's have lost eight straight, and again last night, Street lost the lead and the game in the ninth.

kjhanson
08-06-2008, 01:25 PM
The A's have lost eight straight, and again last night, Street lost the lead and the game in the ninth.

Yeah, and Cabrera started off the rally in the 14th. I'm glad those Cabrera/Street rumors were B.S.

LoveYourSuit
08-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Yeah, and Cabrera started off the rally in the 14th. I'm glad those Cabrera/Street rumors were B.S.

Tell that to the rest of WSI who is still up in arms why Kenny did not trade for a pitcher.

JermaineDye05
08-06-2008, 02:36 PM
BB didn't do his homework on that trade. He received a couple of soiled jocks and a bottom of the rotation pitcher, who is now hurt. Hopefully, for the SG's sake it's not real serious.

Gio's got talent, but like almost each minor league guy we bring up he's going to get rocked because he doesn't throw enough strikes at this point.

I actually think Gio will do pretty good with the A's. I could see him going 6 or 7 innings giving up 3 or less runs while striking out about 7 or 8. If his curveball and fastball are as good as they were hyped, and if he has his good control he can be very tough. I still see the Swisher deal as one that worked well for both teams. Although Swisher is only hitting in the .230's he has had a bunch of big hits for us, and the A's got 3 good young players. Sweeney has looked pretty good out in right for the A's, showing his good D and that rocket of an arm (Frank Costanza reference) out in right.

soxinem1
08-06-2008, 05:58 PM
I actually think Gio will do pretty good with the A's. I could see him going 6 or 7 innings giving up 3 or less runs while striking out about 7 or 8. If his curveball and fastball are as good as they were hyped, and if he has his good control he can be very tough. I still see the Swisher deal as one that worked well for both teams. Although Swisher is only hitting in the .230's he has had a bunch of big hits for us, and the A's got 3 good young players. Sweeney has looked pretty good out in right for the A's, showing his good D and that rocket of an arm (Frank Costanza reference) out in right.

If he plays the Mausoleum to his advantage, he should get many pop-up outs with the 500 ft. wide warning tracks between the 1B and 3B dugouts.

champagne030
08-06-2008, 06:52 PM

I meant BB received nothing back for Harden.

I wasn't trying to rip Gio, I just meant he lacks command. His fastball and curve are MLB ready from a stuff point of view. And his change is very much improved looking tonight. He just lacks command of all his pitches at this point and that's what got him into trouble in the first inning. Once he can start hitting his spots with more consistency, he'll be a solid SP.

TDog
08-06-2008, 07:30 PM
I meant BB received nothing back for Harden.

I wasn't trying to rip Gio, I just meant he lacks command. His fastball and curve are MLB ready from a stuff point of view. And his change is very much improved looking tonight. He just lacks command of all his pitches at this point and that's what got him into trouble in the first inning. Once he can start hitting his spots with more consistency, he'll be a solid SP.

On the contrary, I think the Cubs overpaid for Harden. He's a fragile pitcher, and I think the Cubs could have gotten more out of Gallagher than they will out of Harden. If he is hurt (and I know of only speculation by the A's radio broadchasters to indicate that he is), he didn't come to the A's hurt. He actually pitched great.

Gonzalez has pitched fairly well tonight. He was one strike from a one-tw0-three first, but ended up giving up a booming three-reun homer to Rod Barajas. The next hitter singled, and it looks like Gonzalez didn't give up a hit over after that through the sixth.

champagne030
08-06-2008, 07:54 PM
On the contrary, I think the Cubs overpaid for Harden. He's a fragile pitcher, and I think the Cubs could have gotten more out of Gallagher than they will out of Harden. If he is hurt (and I know of only speculation by the A's radio broadchasters to indicate that he is), he didn't come to the A's hurt. He actually pitched great.

Gonzalez has pitched fairly well tonight. He was one strike from a one-tw0-three first, but ended up giving up a booming three-reun homer to Rod Barajas. The next hitter singled, and it looks like Gonzalez didn't give up a hit over after that through the sixth.

IMO, the Cubs gave up nothing for Harden. I'm not impressed with Gallagher, healthy or not. Harden is a 6 inning pitcher at this point, but is still the best Cubs starter right now. I understand he is fragile as glass and could be out for the season next start, but I just don't see where the A's received anything in return or couldn't have received more from someone like the Mets or Dodgers.

Gio did look good, other than walking Overbay twice and the bomb to Barajas. He did it with the change though, except hanging it to Rios in the 1st. According the Toronto gun, he topped out at 88. I remember him throwing 92-93. I haven't seen him in almost two years. Did he fool Toronto using the change or has that really become his second best pitch after the curve?

BTW - The A's announcers on TV were stunned Gallagher didn't go on the DL today. I'm not making a judgement, just passing along the word.

TDog
08-06-2008, 09:56 PM
IMO, the Cubs gave up nothing for Harden. I'm not impressed with Gallagher, healthy or not. Harden is a 6 inning pitcher at this point, but is still the best Cubs starter right now. I understand he is fragile as glass and could be out for the season next start, but I just don't see where the A's received anything in return or couldn't have received more from someone like the Mets or Dodgers.

Gio did look good, other than walking Overbay twice and the bomb to Barajas. He did it with the change though, except hanging it to Rios in the 1st. According the Toronto gun, he topped out at 88. I remember him throwing 92-93. I haven't seen him in almost two years. Did he fool Toronto using the change or has that really become his second best pitch after the curve?

BTW - The A's announcers on TV were stunned Gallagher didn't go on the DL today. I'm not making a judgement, just passing along the word.

I have always thought Harden was a pitcher who looked good but was basically a loser. Harden puts an incredible strain on his team's bullpen. He needs the umpire calling a pitcher's strike zone to be really effective. Trading hm away have nothing to do with how poorly the A's are playing though.

The A's announcers tonight were talking about Gonzalez being a real concern at the beginning of the year. The change up, they said, is something he was taught this year while pitching for the River Cats. They didn't talk about his velocity being down. Frankly, following the Sox game was my priority tonight.

Gonzalez, who got tonight's loss, the A's ninth straight, ended up being charged with four runs because he came out after giving up a leadoff single in the seventh. The run came around to score. So he Gonzalez didn't finish with a quality start and will go into his next start with an ERA of 6. Some people believe that having an ERA of qualified a pitcher as being lousy or being hit hard. Of course, ERA often don't tell you how tough a pitcher is to hit.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-07-2008, 08:42 AM
His debut was respectable. His line was 6 innings pitched, just 4 hits, 4 Ks, with 2 BB. What got him was the 3-run HR in the first.

Holding Toronto to just 4 hits is good.