PDA

View Full Version : July 31, 1991

aryzner
08-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Okay. I just happened to be looking up White Sox stuff on youtube today and somehow came across this here and believe you me I am VERY excited to be able to see this again. Don't know when or if it'll be taken down but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2FklBE4Itc

So which one of you uploaded this??? :tongue:

Jim Shorts
08-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Mr. Gorbachev...Tear down this firewall.

Grrrrrr.....

PolishPower83
08-05-2008, 12:19 PM
I love that man.

TomBradley72
08-05-2008, 12:21 PM
25 wins in their last AB by July 31st. :?:

kittle42
08-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I'll always remember that game.

Shoeless_Jim
08-05-2008, 12:35 PM
i love it.

Detroit and Minnesota need to notice that everyone is still at the game.

Grand Slam of HOF pitcher. pretty cool.

hi im skot
08-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Epic.

Thanks for posting that.

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the memory.

Madvora
08-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Man, that place was incredibly loud.

RhubarbStew
08-05-2008, 01:28 PM
I remember going out to dinner before the game ended and hearing someone mention what had happened at the restaurant. Couldn't believe I'd missed it. Also, if you watch the whole game, you'll note that this was the first game that Hawk referred to Frank as The Big Hurt.

TDog
08-05-2008, 01:30 PM

Grand Slam of HOF pitcher. pretty cool.

Yet the memory most non-White Sox fans have of Robin Ventura is being pummeled by a Hall of Fame pitcher while in the grasp of a future Hall of Fame catcher. In 1994, I was in Anaheim when Robin Ventura came up for the Sox, and the aging man sitting next to me asked if he was the "boy who charged Nolan."

This is the first time I've seen the home run off Gossage, except in shorter clips without sound. I heard that the Sox that night "won a game they had no business winning."

Exciting stuff. But the I think the Sox won only one or two more games in their last at bats the next two months of the season. Like two-out hitting with runners in scoring position, coming through big in the eighth and ninth and extras in April, May, June and July does not help you come through in such situations in August, September and October.

LoveYourSuit
08-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Awesome stuff !

Jaffar
08-05-2008, 01:49 PM
I could have never told you the date of that game or probably even the year (I was only 11 at the time) but I'll never forget the image of Hurt jumping up and down with Ventura on his shoulder.

ChiSoxFan7
08-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Was Frank on the team that year? I know this may be a dumb quesiton but the announced said that you wouldn't want anyone else up to the plate...what about frank?:scratch:

DumpJerry
08-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks for memory! Until I was at Game Two to see Pods' walk off, this game was my number one of the all the game I've been to.

Comiskey was packed that night. When Robin came up, the electricy in the air was highly charged. The place was up for grabs as soon as it left his bat. Nobody left for 10 minutes afterwards, it felt like a World Series winner.

The only person who was not cheering was Laura, one of the people in my group. She was a Cub fan. She sat slumped in her seat with the most envious look on her face you've ever seen! I told her this does not happen in her park. She agreed and told me that the White Sox were "the team to beat. You guys have turned the corner."

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Was Frank on the team that year? I know this may be a dumb quesiton but the announced said that you wouldn't want anyone else up to the plate...what about frank?:scratch:
Look at the Video again.
That was Thomas who carried Robin off the field.
One of the great moments in Sox history.

TommyJohn
08-05-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm shocked that everyone was able to be so happy, what with the fact that they were sitting in those cold blue seats in a sterile ballmall.

Seriously, I had that game on tape for the longest time. I know I have the tape somewhere, I just don't know where it's buried.

Law11
08-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I love Jiggits "cameo" hairstyle

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Watching that again in slo mo reminds me of the ending of "The Natural". What a sweet swing Ventura had.

TDog
08-05-2008, 02:08 PM

Frank Thomas was on deck. Before Ventura came to the plate in his last at bat, had been three-for-five with a home run and two singles. Thomas had been two-for-two, with a home run, a single and three walks.

Law11
08-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Im still trying to find the famous sox tiger brawl on you tube. cant find it anywhere.

Frater Perdurabo
08-05-2008, 02:15 PM

Frank had a great season that year. I think he finished in the Top 5 in MVP voting. But Ventura absolutely raked that month. I listened to that game on the radio. I don't remember if it was Rooney or Hagin who called it, but whoever it was remarked that it was a tremendous cap to a tremendous month.

Frater Perdurabo
08-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Also, does anyone else besides me like the home pinstripe uniforms without the player names on the back?

nasox
08-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Also, does anyone else besides me like the home pinstripe uniforms without the player names on the back?

I like it, but it is too Yankee-esque. The name on the back is a Sox tradition. We should keep it going.

doublem23
08-05-2008, 02:37 PM

I don't like it. If one team should never have nameless jerseys again, it's the Sox.

beasly213
08-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Thank you so much for posting that. It gave me chills. :redface:

Walker29
08-05-2008, 02:57 PM
as my screen name suggests my favorite player was Greg Walker, after his career ended with the Sox my favorite player was Ventura. I have a home jersey with 23 on the back (no name) and the Comiskey Park Inaugural Year 1991 patch that is 2-0 this year when I wear it to games, I haven't even been able to wear my black Walker 29 jersey I got for my b-day last year. Better believe I'll be wearing the Ventura jersey on Saturday night... When I was at the Urinal for Cubs vs. Sox in 2006 at least 4 people asked me why I didn't have Dye's name on the jersey...morons.

soxfanatlanta
08-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Good times.

I wonder where he ranks that moment against when he hit it over the wall vs. the Braves in 1999.

whitesox901
08-05-2008, 03:08 PM
that is a great video, thansk for posting!

FielderJones
08-05-2008, 03:08 PM
That little kid at ~ 2:24 would be about 18 or 19 now. I wonder if he's a WSIer. :tongue:

nsolo
08-05-2008, 03:09 PM
I miss Robin. My middle daughter was and probably still is in love with him. She had his poster and pictures all over her walls.

I miss Wimpy in the announcers booth. It has probably been answered before, but what was the real reason he left?

CMPDragRacing
08-05-2008, 03:12 PM
if they ever retire #23 who's name is going on it??

jd or robin?

and yes, no names on home jerseys please

IronFisk
08-05-2008, 03:30 PM
25 wins in their last AB by July 31st. :?:

Nice catch. What do we have this year...ONE?!?

Great clip - MLB will pillage it soon so view it while you can! Check out those early 90's fashion statements in the bleachers ... yikes!

hi im skot
08-05-2008, 03:38 PM

At least five.

BA's base hit against Baltimore.
Crede's single against the Yankees.
TCQ's walk-off homer against the Angels.
Cabrera's base hit against...Cleveland?
AJ's walk-off shot against Cleveland.Probably others as well...

Frater Perdurabo
08-05-2008, 04:08 PM

jd or robin?

I think it would be nice to retire #23 in honor of both Dye and Ventura.

CHISOXFAN13
08-05-2008, 04:17 PM
One of the best games I've ever attended. The place was rocking for a long time after he hit that bomb.

What a memory!

CHISOXFAN13
08-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Robin was incredibly clutch with the bases loaded that year and throughout his career.

TDog
08-05-2008, 04:23 PM

Great clip - MLB will pillage it soon so view it while you can! Check out those early 90's fashion statements in the bleachers ... yikes!

You can do better than that. The stat refers, of course, to scoring to take the game-deciding lead the last half-inning on offense, not game-ending hits, but I can recall three game-ending home runs at the Cell this year.

The Sox had two last-at bat wins in the last road trip alone. Some people believed it was evidence of the Sox playing crappy that they waited until their last at bats to win those games and believe they were lucky not to lose. The last game before the roadtrip was won in the Sox last time up (Quentin's eighth-inning homer against the Rangers), so that was three consecutive games when the Sox (playing crappy, according to some) won in their last at bats.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen games the Sox have won in their last at bats this season. Quentin, Konerko and Pierzynski have ended games at the Cell with home runs this year. The Sox, I beleive, have six game-ending hits. I recall singles by Crede, Andeson and Cabrera that finished games. There should be a game-ending suicide squeeze bunt in the mix, but that was not to be, and if the Sox win that one, it will be another last-at-bat win.

ChiSoxGirl
08-05-2008, 04:25 PM
My God, do I miss Robin Ventura! He had one of the most beautiful swings I've ever seen. I've had favorite Sox players since Robin left after the '98 season, but none have ever come close to him. To me, the tandem of Ventura & Thomas is one of a kind.

Fun Fact: Ventura's was the first real Sox jersey I ever bought. I saved up all of my birthday and Christmas money in 1991 and bought his jersey in the summer of '92.

That clip gave me chills and made me tear up. What an awesome find! :thumbsup:

russ99
08-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Wow, that's sweet. I'll never forget the Hurt bouncing Robin over his shoulders like a rag doll.

Memories!!

I think A.J.'s walk-off vs. the Dodgers in '05 was just as electrifying.

stl_sox_fan
08-05-2008, 04:57 PM
The Walt Hriniak batting style personified!!
I forgot that's where that picture of The Hurt hoisting him up came from.
Too bad Goose was the Goat for that game.
Thanks for posting that!

Woofer
08-05-2008, 07:19 PM
This is a great video, it really brings back the memories. You get a quick look at many greats here. Besides Robin and Big Frank, I saw the 1 Dog Lance Johnson, Fisk and Blackjack, and Pasqua and Grebeck. The park was filled with energy, in all it's original blandness. I also miss the team of Hawk and Wimpy, they were great together. Thanks for posting it!

Hitmen77
08-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Wow, that's great!! Thanks for the link. I remember watching that on TV on the night of 7/31/91 and I remember it fondly. I haven't seen that in years!

That was one magical moment! Robin Ventura was named player of the month for July 1991. IIRC, the Sox were in first place at that point in the season and it was really beginning to look like this would be their year. Unfortunately, they would end up stumbling in Aug. and Sept. and would end up finishing 8 games behind the Twins.

Remember, this came only 3 years after the Sox were just about dead and headed to Tampa. Then they won 94 games in 1990 and in '91 they had two great young stars in Thomas and Ventura. Plus, new Comiskey was still basking in the glow it had when it was new and it drew big crowds every night.

Wow! I can't believe it's been 17 years already. How can it be that long ago?

hose
08-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Great memories of that game!!

(A slimmer Dan Jiggets in the dugout interviewing Robin after the walk off.:D:)

32nd&Wallace
08-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Can anyone guess the movie star in the audience at 2:30?

Viva Medias B's
08-05-2008, 09:24 PM
That little kid at ~ 2:24 would be about 18 or 19 now. I wonder if he's a WSIer. :tongue:

I still remembered the brief shot of that baby with his little toy car to this day.

Railsplitter
08-05-2008, 09:36 PM
I was there! It took us an hour to get from our house to 31st Street, and another hour before we could get to the park. It was the bottom of the first be the time we got to sit down.

I could describe my reaction to the homer, but I've done that two or three times already.

StillMissOzzie
08-05-2008, 11:07 PM
I was there, too, with friends who were making their first trip to Comiskey Park II, as it was still called back then. What a game!
I miss Venture, and I miss Wimpy at the mike as well.

Thanks for a great memory, whoever unearthed this gem.

SMO
:D::gulp::bandance:

LongLiveFisk
08-05-2008, 11:11 PM
That grand slam will be forever embedded in my brain. And as others have mentioned, the atmosphere was World Series-like. Just incredible electricity and excitement. 2005 notwithstanding, I miss those days. :smile:

Taliesinrk
08-05-2008, 11:14 PM
first of all - can that be right???!!!?? 25 wins in the last AB by July 31st??? THat's crazy!

Secondly - I click off of that video and Mr. Ramirez informed me that he would like to welcome us to the future.. not the past, as the next pitch he ties the game up!!!!! GO SOX!!

Tragg
08-05-2008, 11:42 PM
What a great video.
Saw a glimpse of Torborg - never knew why the Sox fired him. Just figured it was sort of like firing Doug Collins - take us to the "next level" (although Gene Lamont was no Phil Jackson; he wasn't even a Jeff Torborg).

Vernam
08-05-2008, 11:43 PM
I was living in Knoxville and heard it on an extremely faint radio signal. Was probably never more homesick than that night. :whiner:

Vernam

Frater Perdurabo
08-05-2008, 11:46 PM
What a great video.
Saw a glimpse of Torborg - never knew why the Sox fired him. Just figured it was sort of like firing Doug Collins - take us to the "next level" (although Gene Lamont was no Phil Jackson; he wasn't even a Jeff Torborg).

Wasn't he offered a job by the Mets, and the Sox simply allowed him to go?

I get the feeling Schueler didn't think much of Torborg and wanted to hire his own man.

sox1970
08-06-2008, 01:44 AM
Sox win 10-8 on game winning homer tonight. Coincidence? I think not.

thomas35forever
08-06-2008, 01:45 AM
Sox win 10-8 on game winning homer tonight. Coincidence? I think not.
I can't believe I watched this clip tonight and something like that happens on said night! Unbelievable!

kruzer31
08-06-2008, 01:56 AM
Whoever posted that, thank you, it is forever now on my ipod and ipod library

Jeff

Nellie_Fox
08-06-2008, 02:13 AM
I was at that game as well. It was my birthday outing, two days after my birthday.

Hitmen77
08-06-2008, 09:42 AM

jd or robin?

There's no way they can retire numbers of all the players who were great for the Sox - we'd run out of numbers. Instead, I'd like to see them honor some of these other Sox players with some sort of Sox hall of fame. This could be for players like Ventura, Guillen, Konerko, Dye, Buehrle, Dick Allen, Joe Horlen, etc.

At least five.

We can add another one to the list.:cool:

Viva Medias B's
08-06-2008, 10:12 AM
That Robin walk off was probably third to

(2) AJ's walk off against the Dodgers in 2005
(1) Podsednik's walk off in Game 2

turners56
08-06-2008, 10:16 AM
I can't believe I watched this clip tonight and something like that happens on said night! Unbelievable!

They were almost in the same spot too. Ventura's was deeper though. Either way, they were to right-center.

turners56
08-06-2008, 10:16 AM
That Robin walk off was probably third to
(2) AJ's walk off against the Dodgers in 2005
(1) Podsednik's walk off in Game 2

Why does everybody love A.J.'s walkoff against the Dodgers THAT much? I loved the bat flip too, but #2 of all time in Sox history? I don't know...

If anything, Joe Crede's was better against the Tribe.

Hitmen77
08-06-2008, 10:36 AM

I noticed that too. Watching the two clips highlights how New Comiskey used to have the seats set back a ways from the outfield fence. The outfield stands had that ugly concrete facade between them and the fence. What were they thinking when they built the park that way?

I remember watching that game in '91 and thinking Hawk totally lost it during Robin's HR call. But, scompared to today he sounds downright composed making that call in '91.

aryzner
08-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Watch the Robin video and then go to www.whitesox.com (http://www.whitesox.com) and watch Swisher's walk-off last night. Back then, Hawk didn't practically lose his voice completely when he got so excited. Is this just because he's older now or something?

thomas35forever
08-06-2008, 01:50 PM
They were almost in the same spot too. Ventura's was deeper though. Either way, they were to right-center.
So was this one:
http://www.beabetterhitter.com/blog/uploaded_images/Podsednik%20celbrates-744921.bmp

JimmyJoe
08-06-2008, 02:16 PM
That was my first game at the new park. Sitting in left field bleachers, that's a memory that I'll never forget.

:bandance:

Walker29
08-06-2008, 06:13 PM
So the youtube video of Robin's walk off grand slam leading the Sox to a 10-8 win is posted here yesterday 8/5, so what happens the Sox win on a walk off 3 run homer 10-8....pretty eary coincidence...spooky. Any youtubes of the Sox winning easily 7-0 out there, I could use a nice palate cleansing stress-less victory...a baseball sorbet if you will. A win is a win don't get me wrong, I just don't know how many more my heart can take. I would like us to "declare our presence with authority" once in a while too!

TommyJohn
08-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Why does everybody love A.J.'s walkoff against the Dodgers THAT much? I loved the bat flip too, but #2 of all time in Sox history? I don't know...

I'm with you on that one. AJ's homer was a thrilling one, but come on. I guess because it happened in 2005. He hit one in 2006 (I think on Halfway to St. Pat's Day) that no one ever mentions.

I also agree that Crede's home run was much better, the game against the Indians was a huge nailbiter, in the heat of the pennant race. Much more was at stake.

amsteel
08-06-2008, 06:51 PM
It so strange to see a sports broadcast that's not cluttered with graphics like: the current score, count, bottom-of-the-screen score ticker etc.

soxinem1
08-06-2008, 07:12 PM

The AJ hit personified that team. I remember watching that game in disbelief, as the first eight innings were like watching paint dry.

The 1991 game was the first time I sat in box seats in the new park. I remember Medido Perez pitching well in relief, but I think he was also on the hook for the loss before the slam.

I still to this day marvel the nice, easy swing Ventura had to elevate that ball. To see it close up was even better, as it looked like he just flipped the bat.

And one other thing. This clip reminds me of how fortunate we are that Paciorek is not longer in the booth.

Brian26
08-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Getting back to that Ventura 7/31/91 walkoff, the guy that gets no credit is Tim Raines. With two outs, and getting down early in the count, he fouled off a ton of pitches and somehow managed to draw a walk off Goose to load the bases for the hot-hitting Ventura.

Jim Shorts
08-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Jiggetts looking like Cameo. Word up.

Who was our color guy then?

ChiSoxGirl
08-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Jiggetts looking like Cameo. Word up.

Who was our color guy then?

Tom Paciorek, a.k.a. Wimpy.

OldRomanPizza
08-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Great find.

It seems that everyone found a way to catch this game, and of course, everyone remembers where they were. I was in South Haven, Michigan on vacation with my family. The game wasnt on WGN that night but I was able to get it on the radio. One of those games that you kept listening to, but you didnt know why. Anyways, my dad, who was sleeping at the time, (did the game run late that night?) said to come in and wake him up "only if the sox won." I remember being so tense that I was actually sitting on the kitchen counter with my ear in the radio, due to not wanting to have it on loud and wake anyone up. I'll never forget Rooney's call "GRAND SLAM VENTURA!"

Then I went and woke dad up.

IronFisk
08-07-2008, 01:04 AM
At least five.

ya ya rub it in - this is why I never try and challenge people with stats on here - I always get clubbed. I was thinking only 9th inning comebacks...which I'm probably wrong on too so don't bother correcting me :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
08-07-2008, 01:06 AM
Here's the irony of this thread. The game which started the same day this thread was started ended with a Sox walk off resulting in the same score of 10-8.

Walker29
08-07-2008, 04:06 PM
So the youtube video of Robin's walk off grand slam leading the Sox to a 10-8 win is posted here yesterday 8/5, so what happens the Sox win on a walk off 3 run homer 10-8....pretty eary coincidence...spooky. Any youtubes of the Sox winning easily 7-0 out there, I could use a nice palate cleansing stress-less victory...a baseball sorbet if you will. A win is a win don't get me wrong, I just don't know how many more my heart can take. I would like us to "declare our presence with authority" once in a while too!

So I wanted a 7-0 no-doubter, but I'll take the 5-1 win anyday. Nice dominating performance by Danks. Get the sweep tonight!

Red Barchetta
08-07-2008, 04:21 PM
I noticed that too. Watching the two clips highlights how New Comiskey used to have the seats set back a ways from the outfield fence. The outfield stands had that ugly concrete facade between them and the fence. What were they thinking when they built the park that way?

I remember watching that game in '91 and thinking Hawk totally lost it during Robin's HR call. But, scompared to today he sounds downright composed making that call in '91.

That was a great SOX moment! However, I agree on the ballpark. Looking back at that video only adds to my satisfaction of the renovation effort. Due to the fact that it took several phases over several seasons, the dramatic impact wasn't as great. However looking back at this video, I now remember the "Home Run Mote" between the fences and the outfield seats, the ugly batting cages and lawn tractors that were left there during the game, the sterile concrete and the horrible ugly blue shed used as the hitting background in CF.

Thanks US Cellular!

Brian26
08-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Here's the irony of this thread. The game which started the same day this thread was started ended with a Sox walk off resulting in the same score of 10-8.

Walker29 pointed that out yesterday in post #66 :stooges:

sox1970
08-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Walker29 pointed that out yesterday in post #66 :stooges:

What about post #54? That guy pointed it out first. :tongue: