PDA

View Full Version : A Boston fan not impressed with Wrigley

Fenway
08-05-2008, 10:49 AM
also an interesting comment about the White Sox from fans he talked to

http://bythebanksoftherivercharles.blogspot.com/2008/08/i-had-never-been-to-wrigley-fieldwhat.html

kittle42
08-05-2008, 10:54 AM
His impression may have been different had he not been there during the worst in-game storm I have ever seen.

nysox35
08-05-2008, 10:58 AM
also an interesting comment about the White Sox from fans he talked to

http://bythebanksoftherivercharles.blogspot.com/2008/08/i-had-never-been-to-wrigley-fieldwhat.html

I enjoyed this...
"The Cubs fans we met we all friendly and they are SO HOPEFUL that this is NEXT year. They all want to play the Red Sox in the World Series something the Cubs have not been in since 1945.
Nobody that we spoke to wants an all Chicago World Series as Cubs fans fear if they met the crosstown White Sox they would lose."
:D:

SOXPHILE
08-05-2008, 02:59 PM
I enjoyed this...
"The Cubs fans we met we all friendly and they are SO HOPEFUL that this is NEXT year. They all want to play the Red Sox in the World Series something the Cubs have not been in since 1945.
Nobody that we spoke to wants an all Chicago World Series as Cubs fans fear if they met the crosstown White Sox they would lose."

I still fail to grasp why Cub fans continue to pee all over themselves and profess the Red Sox as their 2nd love. For some unknown reason, they seem to think that the Red Sox and their fans are the A.L. version of them and their lil' blue team. Is it just because they play in an old cramped ballpark ? Prior to the two recent WS Championships, the Red Sox, while having a long drought of no championships, were most of the time a pretty good team, and had made numerous playoffs and at least appeared in 4 World Series after the Cubs last appearance in 1945. The Cubs in that same time frame became perpetual, lovable, losers, and were known for one thing. Losing. Oh, and from 1984 on, as party central. I don't get the connection.

palehozenychicty
08-05-2008, 03:00 PM
I enjoyed this...

Well yeah. :cool:

CubKilla
08-05-2008, 04:25 PM
I still fail to grasp why Cub fans continue to pee all over themselves and profess the Red Sox as their 2nd love. For some unknown reason, they seem to think that the Red Sox and their fans are the A.L. version of them and their lil' blue team. Is it just because they play in an old cramped ballpark ? Prior to the two recent WS Championships, the Red Sox, while having a long drought of no championships, were most of the time a pretty good team, and had made numerous playoffs and at least appeared in 4 World Series after the Cubs last appearance in 1945. The Cubs in that same time frame became perpetual, lovable, losers, and were known for one thing. Losing. Oh, and from 1984 on, as party central. I don't get the connection.

They both had/have curses and, until 2004, the Cubs and the Red Sox were believed to be the #1 and #2 teams respectively without a WS win since the early 1900's, bla, bla, bla. EVERY media outlet just forgot about the White Sox until 2005.

SoxGirl4Life
08-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I enjoyed this...

And they think they'll win vs Boston? Or the Angels? or the Yankees? or the Rays?

grv1974
08-05-2008, 04:43 PM
A Boston fan not impressed by Wrigley.............that's ironic.

hi im skot
08-05-2008, 04:52 PM
They both had/have curses and, until 2004, the Cubs and the Red Sox were believed to be the #1 and #2 teams respectively without a WS win since the early 1900's, bla, bla, bla. EVERY media outlet just forgot about the White Sox until 2005.

Curses are for suckers.

seventyseven
08-05-2008, 05:18 PM
A Boston fan not impressed by Wrigley.............that's ironic.

Fenway is 1000 times better than Wrigley. Seriously.

EuroSox35
08-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Hmm, is that your blog? That or a friend, from the other posts, it seems like he writes like you, and has similar quality cell phone pics :p

1908<2005
08-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Wow no it's not. Fenway is more cramped than Wrigley.
I hate the Urinal but Fenway is not 1000 times better than Wrigley

grv1974
08-05-2008, 05:36 PM

Ummmmm, okay.

Fenway
08-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Hmm, is that your blog? That or a friend, from the other posts, it seems like he writes like you, and has similar quality cell phone pics :p

It is a friends blog. We did go to the NY game together.

I first went to Wrigley in 1981. It was the second game of the home season on a Saturday and there were 12000 people.

The next friday Boston was at Comiskey on an afternoon and there were over 30000. I think it was Good Friday.

Wrigley has changed little since then. In 1981 it was in better shape than Fenway but today Fenway is much nicer.

He sent me an email that it was as scared as he has ever been as we don't get thunderstorms like than in the east.

ThatGuyOnTheL
08-05-2008, 10:12 PM

If we're going to talk about POS tourist-trap ballparks full of idiot pink-hatted "fans," I'll at least take the one located in Chicago.

LongLiveFisk
08-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I liked Fenway much better than Wrigley, but I like the Red Sox much more than the Cubs, so maybe my bias is playing a big part in that.

And FWIW, I know of Red Sox fans who don't care to have any affiliation with the Cubs whatsoever. I get the strong impression that Cubs fans have latched onto the Red Sox much more than vice-versa. Probably because Red Sox fans (whether you like the team, the fans, etc) have now, and compared to the Cubs, and have always had a lot more pride in their team and their organization in general. Red Sox fans overall don't feel some desperate, pathetic need to adopt a "second favorite" team simply because they provide some mirror image of what they would like their own team to be.

WizardsofOzzie
08-06-2008, 12:24 PM

They're the only fan base who are nearly as annoying as the Cubs'.

Foulke You
08-06-2008, 02:51 PM
I agree. Fenway is old and the seats are a bit cramped but the post renovations Fenway Park snows Wrigley in just about every way. It has way better bathrooms, a concourse near the outfield that is roomy and connects the bleachers to the main grandstand, it doesn't smell like urine, a useful video scoreboard in center field, and it has modern plumbing (urinals instead of troughs, no smell, etc.) You also don't have to worry about getting run over or trampled on the streets outside the park like at Clark and Addison because they block off the streets near Fenway Park on game days which makes the park empty quicker. I've seen our White Sox play at both stadiums and I vastly prefer Fenway over Wrigley.

turners56
08-06-2008, 03:15 PM
It is a friends blog. We did go to the NY game together.

I first went to Wrigley in 1981. It was the second game of the home season on a Saturday and there were 12000 people.

The next friday Boston was at Comiskey on an afternoon and there were over 30000. I think it was Good Friday.

Wrigley has changed little since then. In 1981 it was in better shape than Fenway but today Fenway is much nicer.

He sent me an email that it was as scared as he has ever been as we don't get thunderstorms like than in the east.

According to Cubs fans, 12,000 people at Wrigley in the history of Wrigley is IMPOSSIBLE!

cub killer
08-17-2008, 12:28 AM
They're the only fan base who are nearly as annoying as the Cubs'.

I don't think they're annoying since they can back up their bravado with 2 World Series titles in the past 4 years. Scrub fans, on the other hand, don't have a leg to stand on yet they still talk all their smack.

SaltyPretzel
08-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I don't think they're annoying since they can back up their bravado with 2 World Series titles in the past 4 years.

Actually, that's what makes them even more annoying.

WizardsofOzzie
08-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Actually, that's what makes them even more annoying.

Agreed. I didn't mind the Red Sox pre-2004, and actually rooted for them in the WS that year. Winning the WS totally changed that fan base, and now they think they are entitled to win everything in every sport, otherwise they were cheated.

DumpJerry
08-17-2008, 12:17 PM
According to Cubs fans, 12,000 people at Wrigley in the history of Wrigley is IMPOSSIBLE!
They are correct. It was 12,114 people that day (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN198104110.shtml).

LongLiveFisk
08-17-2008, 12:56 PM

Ha....having approximately 3,000 people in the stands pre-1984 was not unusual at all. They need to get educated.