PDA

View Full Version : K-Rod just blew a save

doublem23
08-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Take that, douche. Baltimore's scored 2 in the 9th, winning run at 2nd with 2 out.

Critical error by Mark Teixeira allowed the O's to stay alive.

captainclutch24
08-04-2008, 11:59 PM
rodriguez just allowed 2 runs all 4 are unearned this inning

captainclutch24
08-05-2008, 12:00 AM
its not actually a blown save. came in with 2 outs

doublem23
08-05-2008, 12:01 AM

He entered in a save situation, though, right?

oeo
08-05-2008, 12:02 AM

Still a blown save. You only need to record one out for a save.

captainclutch24
08-05-2008, 12:04 AM
He entered in a save situation, though, right?
I thought there was some rule that began last year that if you enter a game within 3 runs, to get a save there must be no outs when you pitch. I remember this from last year when bobby came into a game when we were up by 3 against the A's and had 1 out yet no save was given. I may be wrong but I think thats the rule now.

captainclutch24
08-05-2008, 12:09 AM
I was partially correct. My arguement was right had the bases been empty with a 2 run or 3 lead. Since he came in with the tying runs on base it is a save situation

oeo
08-05-2008, 12:09 AM
I thought there was some rule that began last year that if you enter a game within 3 runs, to get a save there must be no outs when you pitch. I remember this from last year when bobby came into a game when we were up by 3 against the A's and had 1 out yet no save was given. I may be wrong but I think thats the rule now.

Nope. And looking at his game log, he actually had a 1 out, 4 pitch save against the Marlins last year in which we won 10-6. Also had a 1 out, 1 pitch save against Baltimore.

TDog
08-05-2008, 12:21 AM

He came in to get the save. He went out with a blown save. If his team loses the lead when he's on the mound, it's a blown save, whether he is charged with the runs or not. It doesn't matter if the runs are earned.

I think that's five blown saves this season.

TDog
08-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Nope. And looking at his game log, he actually had a 1 out, 4 pitch save against the Marlins last year in which we won 10-6. Also had a 1 out, 1 pitch save against Baltimore.

This is addressed in Rule 10.19 of the Major League Baseball Rules. The tying run must be on base, at the plate or on deck for a pitcher to be eligible for a save, with two exceptions. A pitcher who enters the ninth or an extra-inning with three-run lead and no one on base is eligible for a save. A pitcher also get a save if he pitches at lest three and up to four innings effectively protecting a lead, regardless of the score.

It looks like tonight, the Angels tried to get Rodriguez an easy, one-out save. It wouldn't be the first time this year.

AS things turned out, Rodriguez gets the win because Baltimore's All-Star closer walked in the winning run.

cleanwsox
08-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Gets another cheap ass save tonight. 7-3 against the M's with men on first and third with 2 outs. Shouldn't have been in that situation but Teixera boots an easy grounder with a guy on 2nd with 2 outs. In comes K-rod to fan Ibanez and get number 46.

RadioheadRocks
08-12-2008, 11:51 PM
There will be no pointing to the sky tonight. :bandance:

JermaineDye05
08-12-2008, 11:55 PM
There will be no pointing to the sky tonight. :bandance:

What do you mean? He got the save still.

RadioheadRocks
08-13-2008, 01:07 AM
What do you mean? He got the save still.

Mainly went off the headline and didn't catch the post at 11:40pm (right above my original). Sorry 'bout that!

Sockinchisox
08-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Just blew a 2 run save, and now can't find the strike zone.

Edit: He just gave up his 3rd run, got pulled and argued with the ump on his way to the dugout.

Edit x2: Teixeira just took him off the hook with his 2nd homer of the night.

BringBackBlkJack
08-14-2008, 01:41 AM
K-Rod and Putz both got docked with a blown save in the game tonight. I bet that doesn't happen often.

BigP50
08-14-2008, 01:45 AM
I hate K-Rod.

I'm embarrassed watching him after he gets the save

BadBobbyJenks
08-14-2008, 04:23 AM
I am sick of hearing about how good a season Krod is having. Joe Nathan is having a far better year.

White City
08-14-2008, 07:13 AM
I am sick of hearing about how good a season Krod is having. Joe Nathan is having a far better year.

In fairness, we heard the same thing about Bobby Thigpen and Eck in 1990.

SBSoxFan
08-15-2008, 12:00 AM
In fairness, we heard the same thing about Bobby Thigpen and Eck in 1990.

I think if you look at the numbers, you'll find that Rodriquez isn't even close to having the kind of year Thigpen had in 1990, although I don't think they tracked blown saves back then.

In a previous thread, which I can't find, I doubted Rodriquez would break the record. It seems like he's been overused, and it's catching up to him now. And that's a bad move on Scioscia's part given that the Angels are running away with that division. In 1990, the Sox were nip and tuck with the vaunted A's.

TDog
08-15-2008, 12:50 AM
I think if you look at the numbers, you'll find that Rodriquez isn't even close to having the kind of year Thigpen had in 1990, although I don't think they tracked blown saves back then.

In a previous thread, which I can't find, I doubted Rodriquez would break the record. It seems like he's been overused, and it's catching up to him now. And that's a bad move on Scioscia's part given that the Angels are running away with that division. In 1990, the Sox were nip and tuck with the vaunted A's.

Bobby Thigpen blew eight save opportunities in 1990. The most memorable involved a two-out, three-run home run to Lee Stevens on August 25. Blown saves were then, as they are now, an unofficial statistic.

What is irritating about Rodriguez is the classless way he acts when he saves a game. He is chasing the record and with the Angels running away with their division, his use is geared to breaking Thigpen's record. Certainly, there was consideration of Thigpen setting the record at a certain point, but the Sox were chasing Oakland, and his use centered around the needs of the team. You see Rodriguez coming into the game as soon as a ninth (or extra-inning) save situation emerges. Thigpen finished wins in non-save situations and finished close losses. I doubt Rodriguez will be "wasted" in such a way.

Bobby Thigpen is a great guy who has said he expects someone to break his record some day. The Los Angeles Times recently ran an article questioning if he was bitter because he blew off an interview with one of its reporters. They don't seem to care that Rodriguez is a jerk.

Moses_Scurry
08-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Bobby Thigpen blew eight save opportunities in 1990. The most memorable involved a two-out, three-run home run to Lee Stevens on August 25.

I have nothing to add to this thread except to say that I was at this game, and it broke my heart :whiner:.

At the time, I only was able to attend 1 Sox game per year, and this was no doubt the most crushing one of them all! Even moreso, considering the fantastic year that team had after the utter crapola that was the mid-late '80's Whitesox!

SBSoxFan
08-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Bobby Thigpen blew eight save opportunities in 1990. The most memorable involved a two-out, three-run home run to Lee Stevens on August 25. Blown saves were then, as they are now, an unofficial statistic.

What is irritating about Rodriguez is the classless way he acts when he saves a game. He is chasing the record and with the Angels running away with their division, his use is geared to breaking Thigpen's record. Certainly, there was consideration of Thigpen setting the record at a certain point, but the Sox were chasing Oakland, and his use centered around the needs of the team. You see Rodriguez coming into the game as soon as a ninth (or extra-inning) save situation emerges. Thigpen finished wins in non-save situations and finished close losses. I doubt Rodriguez will be "wasted" in such a way.

Bobby Thigpen is a great guy who has said he expects someone to break his record some day. The Los Angeles Times recently ran an article questioning if he was bitter because he blew off an interview with one of its reporters. They don't seem to care that Rodriguez is a jerk.

mlb.com doesn't list save opportunities in pitching stats until 1999. :scratch:

Closers are certainly used differently nowadays, but the Sox were certainly in a more pressure situation than the Angels are now.

Brian26
08-16-2008, 11:22 AM
I have nothing to add to this thread except to say that I was at this game, and it broke my heart :whiner:

In hindsight, that Lee Stevens homer was probably the most crushing Sox defeat since the Tito Landrum game in the '83 ACLS. I'm not sure if that's a statement on how pathetically bad the Sox were in the mid-to-late 80s, but you're not alone in remembering that game. Up until that point, it still seemed like the Sox had a chance to catch Oakland.

Brian26
08-16-2008, 11:28 AM
He is chasing the record and with the Angels running away with their division, his use is geared to breaking Thigpen's record. Certainly, there was consideration of Thigpen setting the record at a certain point, but the Sox were chasing Oakland, and his use centered around the needs of the team. You see Rodriguez coming into the game as soon as a ninth (or extra-inning) save situation emerges. Thigpen finished wins in non-save situations and finished close losses. I doubt Rodriguez will be "wasted" in such a way.

That fact that Thigpen finished wins in non-save situations, in addition to his losses and 57 saves, is probably the reason his arm was never the same after that season. God bless Torborg though- he's one of my all-time favorite managers.

With that said, they're no use in complaining about K-Rod breaking the record. Thiggy got his fair share of cheap saves, as K-Rod will this season. The rule hasn't changed since Thigpen set it.