PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Situation Like Cubs Game Tonight

kevingrt
08-04-2008, 11:15 PM
It was lightening like crazy for about the last inning that took place. Isn't safety taken into account for players, fans, and everyone in this case. I mean anyone that can read a radar can tell that a major storm is heading and just look north of the stadium and you can tell major lightening is coming. This game should have been delayed a long time ago for the plain safety of everyone at the stadium.

TDog
08-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Is anyone left in the stadium?

kittle42
08-04-2008, 11:28 PM
I live three blocks away and it would be tough for me to stay if the Sox were playing in Game 7 there right now. It has been scary bad for hours. I guess football is the only sport where lightning = auto delay.

My guess is that if the Cubs were winning 2-0 after 5, it would have mysteriously been called.

UofCSoxFan
08-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I live three blocks away and it would be tough for me to stay if the Sox were playing in Game 7 there right now. It has been scary bad for hours. I guess football is the only sport where lightning = auto delay.

My guess is that if the Cubs were winning 2-0 after 5, it would have mysteriously been called.

Baseball should be the same way....espically since you have a player holding a lighting rod up at the pate...shame on the umps for letting it continue as long as they did.

kevingrt
08-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Baseball should be the same way....espically since you have a player holding a lighting rod up at the pate...shame on the umps for letting it continue as long as they did.

I agree. Unbelievable in my mind. When the game has to be called due to players running off the field you know the umpires have not done their job.

doublem23
08-04-2008, 11:44 PM

Flubsessed!

:cool:

ChiSoxGirl
08-04-2008, 11:55 PM
The game was just called in the 8th- Houston wins 2-0. 1:20p start tomorrow!

TDog
08-05-2008, 12:10 AM
I live three blocks away and it would be tough for me to stay if the Sox were playing in Game 7 there right now. It has been scary bad for hours. I guess football is the only sport where lightning = auto delay. ...

I didn't know they had lightning delays in football. For what it's worth, I know that golf has lightning delays. Golfers were struck by lightning at the Western Open in the 1970s, 1978 I'm guessing. I remember the news story.

TornLabrum
08-05-2008, 12:18 AM
I was at a KC Cougars game earlier this year that was stopped twice because of lightning.

MUsoxfan
08-05-2008, 12:19 AM
I didn't know they had lightning delays in football. For what it's worth, I know that golf has lightning delays. Golfers were struck by lightning at the Western Open in the 1970s, 1978 I'm guessing. I remember the news story.

Lee Trevino at Butler National in 1975

munchman33
08-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Flubsessed!

:cool:

Do you live in Chicago? I've never experienced a rain delay with the kind of weather system we had moving in. There was obviously another interest at work, other than that of common sense.

PeteWard
08-05-2008, 12:25 AM
Do you live in Chicago? I've never experienced a rain delay with the kind of weather system we had moving in. There was obviously another interest at work, other than that of common sense.

Would that interest reside in Bristol, CT. perhaps?

Foulke You
08-05-2008, 12:26 AM
What I want to know is what the heck do the Cubs do with the fans in the bleachers during a rain delay like this? There is no connection to the main grandstand and concourse section from there. Do they allow them to leave and then re-enter the park? Do they just have to sit there and get wet? I can imagine how horribly the concourses at Wrigley must be during a rain delay. Thank God we don't have to deal with that at our park.

kittle42
08-05-2008, 10:23 AM
What I want to know is what the heck do the Cubs do with the fans in the bleachers during a rain delay like this? There is no connection to the main grandstand and concourse section from there. Do they allow them to leave and then re-enter the park? Do they just have to sit there and get wet? I can imagine how horribly the concourses at Wrigley must be during a rain delay. Thank God we don't have to deal with that at our park.

You can go underneath the overhangs and down the walkway ramps. I once did that for almost three hours during the glorious sweep of 1999.

kittle42
08-05-2008, 10:23 AM

Teal impaired, much?

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Down here in Florida which is the lightning capital of the world,as soon as we see one bolt we are off the golf course faster than you can imagine. Here in the Naples-Ft Myers 4 or 5 people are struck each rainy season.
I cant believe the umpires let that game go on as far as it did.

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Lee Trevino, Jerry Heard and Bobby Nichols were all struck by lightning at Butler National in July of 1975.

KenBerryGrab
08-05-2008, 12:22 PM
In every outdoor sport, the officials are to clear the field of play (or course) if lightning is spotted in the area.

Lightning is the only thing that will stop a soccer or football game (short of a tornado or hurricane, of course).

In golf, they sound the horn.

russ99
08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
In every outdoor sport, the officials are to clear the field of play (or course) if lightning is spotted in the area.

Lightning is the only thing that will stop a soccer or football game (short of a tornado or hurricane, of course).

In golf, they sound the horn.

Absolutely. They should have stopped play after that lightning bolt hit not far behind the CF scoreboard. They shouldn't have let it gotten to that dangerous of a condition.

But hey, Astros win 2-0. :D:

UofCSoxFan
08-05-2008, 12:49 PM

Anyone remember that Bears Packers Monday Night game on Halloween a while back...that was rain comparable to some of the stuff last night that they played through because there was no lightning.